ADVERTISEMENT

Purdue or Illinois

Except for Lew-Jack, not sure why Painter has even bothered to go into IL to recruit? K Stephens, Simpsion, Minnoy,Anthony Johnson, Marcus Green were all disappointments...........However, I sure hope he can land Okoro.

Small quibble - I wouldn’t call Marcus green a disappointment... he was not a highly rate recruit and stayed all four years as a boiler.

DAMMIT YOU PURDUE PEOPLE! STOP STOP BEING SO PRO PURDUE!

just havin' fun with you. Let it go. There's no harm in elevating your school. None at all. Especially when we have a brand/image like Purdue.

Elevating your school is fine, but not at the expense of reality. It comes across as pretentious, self-serving, and hyperbolic to say Purdue is inarguably a better overall academic institution than Illinois.

Last edited:
Reactions: BoilerDeac
Source?

A quick search shows Illini accept 66%, Purdue 55%, but I didn't dig too deep on the sources.

Unless you have some other metric, it would appear your post is, at best, incorrect.

(edited to be nice.)
I should probably restate. I talked to two different people in my graduating class that got accepted into Purdue's engineering program but did not get accepted into University of Illinois. Both were from Illinois and ended up graduating from Purdue. I apologize for posting inaccurate information but when those students told me they didn't get accepted into their own state program but did Purdue I was shocked. That was for class of 2011 and I don't know if that was an anomaly or what. This made me realize how legit their program was. However, I don't believe them to be the better school.

I should probably restate. I talked to two different people in my graduating class that got accepted into Purdue's engineering program but did not get accepted into University of Illinois. Both were from Illinois and ended up graduating from Purdue. I apologize for posting inaccurate information but when those students told me they didn't get accepted into their own state program but did Purdue I was shocked. That was for class of 2011 and I don't know if that was an anomaly or what. This made me realize how legit their program was. However, I don't believe them to be the better school.

It's possible that Illinois was trying to reserve a portion of their acceptance for out of state tuition payers. Would make sense why Purdue would want somebody from Illinois as well. More money for the same education. Maybe I am thinking to much into considering I know nothing of the two subjects you mentioned other than what you provided. I do know that for a while Purdue seemed to prefer it of state tuition payers over local, but from what I have heard that has leveled off a bit.

It's possible that Illinois was trying to reserve a portion of their acceptance for out of state tuition payers. Would make sense why Purdue would want somebody from Illinois as well. More money for the same education. Maybe I am thinking to much into considering I know nothing of the two subjects you mentioned other than what you provided. I do know that for a while Purdue seemed to prefer it of state tuition payers over local, but from what I have heard that has leveled off a bit.
You may be right. I believe that in 2011 UofI had a higher SAT cutoff than Purdue as well but I cannot be for sure. I believe Purdue's was 1700 for FYE but I am unsure about UofI. I'm sure they have many valid reasons that I do not understand.

Small quibble - I wouldn’t call Marcus green a disappointment... he was not a highly rate recruit and stayed all four years as a boiler.

I agree. Marcus Green was a 2* recruit, if memory serves. He came in when the program was at rock bottom in 2006. I'm sure he wasn't anybody's first choice, but Marcus worked himself into a solid contributor and was part of the great turnaround of 2007 and 2008. Remember when all the students wore green t-shirts on his senior day?

Except for Lew-Jack, not sure why Painter has even bothered to go into IL to recruit? K Stephens, Simpsion, Minnoy,Anthony Johnson, Marcus Green were all disappointments...........However, I sure hope he can land Okoro.

228, I am glad that Painter went to Illinois to recruit Eastern.

Reactions: BoilerAndy

They're two quality schools, yes.

It's ridiculous for Purdue 'fans' to be scolded about being proud of their university, talking it up, etc. Reality is, Purdue has a 'brand', an image, that is seen by many as more elite than some here wish to admit or recognize.

What's more, the Loosiers go into convulsions when that conversation starts!

Is Illinois the "Rodney Dangerfield of the BIG? Seems like they think they are. I guess it is just insecurity at the heart of the UI guys that post here. Not as bad as the Izzo patrol though.

I find it humorous. UI is a fine school, but maybe we are being too rational with these dick-wads? Perhaps we are missing the chance to really fire up this rivalry?

Maybe some of these folks should look up "grade inflation" some time. At Purdue it has been almost zero over the last 40 years or so. How is UI doing?

I think you guys are making a fine argument why Okoro should go to Illinois, since in your own words most of the players from Illinois who choose to play for Purdue either end up busts or unappreciated. :p

Last edited:
I think you guys are making a fine argument why Okoro should go to Illinois, since in your own words most of the players from Illinois who choose to play for Purdue either end up busts or unappreciated. :p
You do realize the team practices on Cardinal Court, right?

As opposed to... all of the players who went to UI have turned out to be busts and unappreciated?

;)

U of I probably got underfunded by Madigan that year and couldn't take all their in state applicants.

not sure if he's been mentioned, but Brian Cardinal, right in their back yard.
Of course, the Illini have offered many excuses for that one.
Mike Robinson, Mel McCants, Everette Stephens, Russel Cross were all great Boilermakers from Illinois.

We had a stretch where we picked up some "poor fits" from several states -- some of the worst were from Indiana. It's no reason to stop recruiting those states.

Reactions: rgarlitz
They're two quality schools, yes.

It's ridiculous for Purdue 'fans' to be scolded about being proud of their university, talking it up, etc. Reality is, Purdue has a 'brand', an image, that is seen by many as more elite than some here wish to admit or recognize.

What's more, the Loosiers go into convulsions when that conversation starts!
Heh heh. IU doesn't even belong in the same discussion with UI and Purdue academics.

His name is on the court, right now, as you read this.

See, that just proves how great Illinois is. Even a court at Purdue is named after someone who grew up in the Illini program. Tolono's finest!

Fun fact - A good friend of mine was a teacher at Unity High School where Brian Cardinal attended. I spent a day observing his classes when Brian was a student.

Reactions: boilerbusdriver
See, that just proves how great Illinois is. Even a court at Purdue is named after someone who grew up in the Illini program. Tolono's finest!

Fun fact - A good friend of mine was a teacher at Unity High School where Brian Cardinal attended. I spent a day observing his classes when Brian was a student.
A person from Illinois is great, not the state. He left Illinois, played at Purdue, played in the NBA, donated millions to Purdue and I am pretty sure he works there now in the JPC. How much did he donate to Illinois?

Ah...out of state tuition...where does it end?

A person from Illinois is great, not the state. He left Illinois, played at Purdue, played in the NBA, donated millions to Purdue and I am pretty sure he works there now in the JPC. How much did he donate to Illinois?

Yes, not recruiting Brian Cardinal was one of the biggest mistakes Lou Henson ever made. You certainly don't have to remind Illini fans about that.

"Cardinal, the son of Illini trainer Rod Cardinal, said that he wasn't really pursued by Henson last fall. Though disappointed by that fact, he didn't want to wait on a possible spring offer from Illinois."

http://articles.chicagotribune.com/1995-04-20/sports/9504200279_1_illinois-lou-henson-chris-gandy

B1G academics (alpha order)

Elite tier
ILL
MICH
NW
PSU
PUR
WIS

Next tier
MD
MINN
OSU
RUTG

Final tier
IU
IA
MSU
NEB

In my factual opinion.

Some rearranging I'd do: (in no particular order within tiers.)

Tier 1:
NW
Michigan

Tier 2:
PSU
PUR
OSU
MINN
ILL
WIS

Tier 3:
MD
RUT
IND

Tier 4:
Neb
MSU
Iowa

I would like take this opportunity to state my opinion that everyone on this board of the male persuasion appreciates busts.
I agree

maxresdefault.jpg

Purdue acceptance rate = 55.8%; UI acceptance rate = 66%.
apparently I've missed something or we are on different planes? What are you suggesting with acceptance rate and out of state tuition? I don't know where you are going and freely admit it could be my ignorance in missing a previous conversation.

I don't even know for certain how to quantify "acceptance rate" with quality of education. Naturally, we would like to think there is an inverse relationship of some power (whatever that may be) between the quality of instruction or transmission of knowledge inversely related to acceptance rate. Is that a natural event of random chance or an event dependent on population in area..offering in area..competition in area..how many can be accepted in certain majors...and on and on...did I mention out of state extra money due to tuition?

Perhaps the acceptance rate is a function of several man made things rather than equal populations in "size" and "quality" for the same number of openings? None of this should suggest that Purdue is inferior and in conflict with a lower acceptance rate...it is just that so many things play into acceptance rate. We know Purdue is a great school...and Ill is a damn fine school as well. ;)

Reactions: boilerbusdriver
Acceptance Rate is a factor in the US News & World Report ranking. In fact, a university in Boston actually encouraged people to apply that they would not accept to make them appear more selective.

Illinois is different from Purdue and IU in that it is the only premiere research institution that is publicly funded. NU is private. As such, the applicant pool for the Indiana schools is diluted by having two institutions vs one for Illinois.

UIUC is a fine school. Their programs in Comp Sci, the hard sciences, engineering and architecture are very good. Nothing to be ashamed of there.

The athletic programs have been a disappointment for quite a while. I think a lot of it has to do with the sad state of the Chicago schools. There were numerous issues with recruits, especially in BB, from Chicago and the surrounding suburbs going back to Weber. Duke made some real headway into Chicago area and it has pulled a lot of talent out. There is a new AD and hopefully he straightens things out there.

Reactions: tjreese

But that does not necessarily mean it’s because of pure academics. There are sometime “targeted” numbers( certainly NOT quotas-tic) as to how many in-State versus out of state tuitions any school is taking each year....All a numbers game anymore.

Well right now 247 crystal ball is saying Oregon, so neither if the projections are right.

Last edited:
But that does not necessarily mean it’s because of pure academics. There are sometime “targeted” numbers( certainly NOT quotas-tic) as to how many in-State versus out of state tuitions any school is taking each year....All a numbers game anymore.
I know at Ball State for a long time after they dropped guaranteed admission for Indiana HS graduates and became selective, if there were two kids basically equal they took the out of state kid. I'm guessing that was true at many public schools. I do know that the former President was told to stop that practice or risk losing funding.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT