ADVERTISEMENT

Purdue 68, Rutgers 60

Explain to me why Colvin did not get playing time. End of first half he could have been incerted. Second half we go into a slumb, we needed his offense. His D would have been at least on par with how others played when we let then come back.

So much talk about our deep bench.

That strength has not been one the coaches seem to trust here of late. And in this game other than Gillis was a total non factor. Hope the coaches come back to using the bench productively again.

Explain to me why Colvin did not get playing time. End of first half he could have been incerted. Second half we go into a slumb, we needed his offense. His D would have been at least on par with how others played when we let then come back.
A few afternoon cocktails during the game?

It's clear that Myles does not have the trust of Painter to put him in a tight game. Yeah, he could have gotten a couple minutes at the end of the first half like he got early in the season. But I think his defense and practice level is just not up to par and that's why he's not playing. There is a huge thread about this.

My take? We're 19-2.

A few afternoon cocktails during the game?

It's clear that Myles does not have the trust of Painter to put him in a tight game. Yeah, he could have gotten a couple minutes at the end of the first half like he got early in the season. But I think his defense and practice level is just not up to par and that's why he's not playing. There is a huge thread about this.

My take? We're 19-2.
LOL - Engineer, not an English major.

Reactions: Schnelk
When I see this from fans, I wonder if they are really watching these guys -- especially Colvin -- play D.

Is Colvin going to bring the ball up when Rutgers applies the full court press, which helped them get back into the game? Does anyone really think he would have done a better job?

When I see this from fans, I wonder if they are really watching these guys -- especially Colvin -- play D.

Is Colvin going to bring the ball up when Rutgers applies the full court press, which helped them get back into the game? Does anyone really think he would have done a better job?
Yes I watch closely. Could have spotted him end of first half, and for a two minutes in second to see how he's playing. Did you watch the game? They did not press the entire game. And we could have been more aggressive in going to the basket in spots they did. - No one is saying he should have played massive minutes. I want him ready for the Big Tourny, NCAA, and better prepared for next year.

Call into the CMP show tomorrow at 6pm and ask him? He’s a straight shooter and will give you his reason.

Reactions: Boiler Buck
Yes I watch closely. Could have spotted him end of first half, and for a two minutes in second to see how he's playing. Did you watch the game? They did not press the entire game. And we could have been more aggressive in going to the basket in spots they did. - No one is saying he should have played massive minutes. I want him ready for the Big Tourny, NCAA, and better prepared for next year.
I mean what? They absolutely pressed during the game. Multiple times.

I think it's a difference in how you read the statement you responded to. "They did not press the entire game." You could read that as in they NEVER pressed, when I think the comment means that they did not press EVERY play. Which they didn't, but they sure did for most of the 2nd half.

I think it's a difference in how you read the statement you responded to. "They did not press the entire game." You could read that as in they NEVER pressed, when I think the comment means that they did not press EVERY play. Which they didn't, but they sure did for most of the 2nd half.
I mean I bet they'd do it more with a frosh who isn't exactly a great ball handler but yeah if that's what he meant it's certainly technically correct but I think people think because Colvin hit three threes in scrub time that he is just going to come out draining shots any time he steps on the court.

I am certainly not one to shy away from saying Painter isn't perfect. I think he should have played Heide more over Loyer today, but this Colvin obsession is weird to me.

I might have given him more run in a blow out, but this game was very close to a loss so no way I'm putting him out there.

I mean I bet they'd do it more with a frosh who isn't exactly a great ball handler but yeah if that's what he meant it's certainly technically correct but I think people think because Colvin hit three threes in scrub time that he is just going to come out draining shots any time he steps on the court.

I am certainly not one to shy away from saying Painter isn't perfect. I think he should have played Heide more over Loyer today, but this Colvin obsession is weird to me.

I might have given him more run in a blow out, but this game was very close to a loss so no way I'm putting him out there.
Agreed. Rutgers would probably be licking their lips to go after him if he got it. Also, does he know the offense enough where he needs to keep moving and pass as opposed to just shoot the ball every time? In a close game the ball needs to get to Zach at least to give him a touch. Is myles able to do that? Is he in the right position to make sure his man can’t sag down or over to Zach …etc. so many factors besides just shooting the rock.

They didn't press?! You must be on the wrong board. We are talking about the Purdue v. Rutgers game.

DeCoursey (sp?) made an interesting comment on the B1G Network. He said that Rutgers did Purdue a favor by throwing multiple defenses at them. His point was that it will prepare Purdue for the NCAA tournament. I think it's a good point.

DeCoursey (sp?) made an interesting comment on the B1G Network. He said that Rutgers did Purdue a favor by throwing multiple defenses at them. His point was that it will prepare Purdue for the NCAA tournament. I think it's a good point.
Yep. The reality is Rutgers did a lot of things yesterday that St Peters and FDU did. Having to weather that and in a hostile environment is good for Purdue. Would I have liked to have won by 30? Of course. But it may have been more beneficial long term to have the game play out like it did.

They didn't press?! You must be on the wrong board. We are talking about the Purdue v. Rutgers game.
I explained this above. It's semantics really....

I explained this above. It's semantics really....

Thanks.

Saying they didn't press the entire game does not change the problem. Did Painter know when they were and when they weren't going to press? Does anyone think they would only press when Colvin wasn't in the game to give him a chance to show his stuff? Watching how Purdue beat the press with 3 players in the backcourt, Colvin would have struggled being one of those players.

Thanks.

Saying they didn't press the entire game does not change the problem. Did Painter know when they were and when they weren't going to press? Does anyone think they would only press when Colvin wasn't in the game to give him a chance to show his stuff? Watching how Purdue beat the press with 3 players in the backcourt, Colvin would have struggled being one of those players.
Agreed. IMO, it's a matter of trust in 3 areas right now for Myles. Ball-handling, defense, and taking the correct shot as opposed to just shooting when you're open.

Reactions: BoilerAndy
I think that the real competition for Myles isn’t Morton, Jones, or Loyer, but is Heide, as they would play a similar role. The biggest difference between the two is that Heide is much further along on defense, but I also think that Painter likes the way that Heide moves the ball and plays off of others on offense. His rebounding doesn’t hurt either.

It’s a 9 man rotation and I don’t see it going to 10 this season. Colvin is very talented, but this is a deep roster.

Reactions: BoilerAndy
I think that the real competition for Myles isn’t Morton, Jones, or Loyer, but is Heide, as they would play a similar role. The biggest difference between the two is that Heide is much further along on defense, but I also think that Painter likes the way that Heide moves the ball and plays off of others on offense. His rebounding doesn’t hurt either.

It’s a 9 man rotation and I don’t see it going to 10 this season. Colvin is very talented, but this is a deep roster.
Well said. Heide is in his 2nd year with the program. Learning and bonding with the team in his first year helped him. Myles should do the same, considering all of the talent coming in.

Reactions: DwaynePurvis00
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT