ADVERTISEMENT

Purdue at Northwestern: MASTER DISCUSSION THREAD

Those things are different. They come from the players. Zone comes from the coach and he's never ever ever ever going to do it.

Might as well ask me continually why I don't marry Selma Hayek.
We have people constantly harping on our post centric offense and lack of dynamic guard play. Is that a waste of time too? Don't get why talking about those are productive but questioning defense is not?

Those things are different. They come from the players. Zone comes from the coach and he's never ever ever ever going to do it.

Might as well ask me continually why I don't marry Selma Hayek.
Matt has played zone before. Lost to north Florida or north Texas and against Kansas State when Bruce was coaching KSU. Spent time over the summer discussing Basil Mawby’s 2-3

We have people constantly harping on our post centric offense and lack of dynamic guard play. Is that a waste of time too? Don't get why talking about those are productive but questioning defense is not?
Because it's never going to change. People have been talking about Matt playing zone since Bush was President.

It's the same discussion every time.

Because it's never going to change. People have been talking about Matt playing zone since Bush was President.

It's the same discussion every time.
So is the discussion about our offense, but we keep doing it. It's a message board. Don't like the discussion, move on to another thread. I will keep harping on it just like others will keep making their points. CMP has played zone before, he just wasn't good at it. He even said that in a press conference when asked about it.

So is the discussion about our offense, but we keep doing it. It's a message board. Don't like the discussion, move on to another thread. I will keep harping on it just like others will keep making their points. CMP has played zone before, he just wasn't good at it. He even said that in a press conference when asked about it.
He hasn't played it at Purdue. I remember the week long conversation on here that maybe he might have played it for one or two plays in a game. It was hilarious.

If you want to beat your head into a brick wall though, be my guest.

He hasn't played it at Purdue. I remember the week long conversation on here that maybe he might have played it for one or two plays in a game. It was hilarious.

He has played it at Purdue and it wasn’t very good. He had AJ and Kendall when he played it. If you question if he should try it again that is a different conversation.

I know he doesn't believe in it and he thinks the B1G is a man to man conference (his words). Doesn't mean it can't be discussed and argued just like many other topics on here.

He has played it at PU, TJ gave the examples earlier in the thread.

If you want to keep beating your head into a brick wall, go ahead be my guest.

Amazing, NW same game plan as last year, we o-3 on 3s. Bang Z, trade foul shots for better BW O!! Crap
Not even close. They didn’t play nearly as physical and the refs were calling fouls unlike last year. This was a let’s let Bouie be Bouie and shoot a ton of threes (hit 50%) and we got out played. Smith got taken out of his game, had 6 turnovers and we again had sloppy unforced errors. We errr up 13 and couldn’t put it away letting them back in the game at home where the crowd is a factor.

Not even close. They didn’t play nearly as physical and the refs were calling fouls unlike last year. This was a let’s let Bouie be Bouie and shoot a ton of threes (hit 50%) and we got out played. Smith got taken out of his game, had 6 turnovers and we again had sloppy unforced errors. We errr up 13 and couldn’t put it away letting them back in the game at home where the crowd is a factor.
We seem to do that alot. Get up big and just let teams come right back. I will never understand it. Should have won by 20 points tonight. I'm going to re-watch the game and count how many layups we missed.

He has played it at Purdue and it wasn’t very good. He had AJ and Kendall when he played it. If you question if he should try it again that is a different conversation.
You can’t play it if you don’t practice it and not as a one off.

Reactions: Dryfly88
I know he doesn't believe in it and he thinks the B1G is a man to man conference (his words). Doesn't mean it can't be discussed and argued just like many other topics on here.

He has played it at PU, TJ gave the examples earlier in the thread.

If you want to keep beating your head into a brick wall, go ahead be my guest.
He hasn't meaningfully played it here. Regardless of whether he tried it in some game 15 years ago for five minutes or not, he's made it ABUNDANTLY clear he has no interest in trying it again.

We will play man defense here until he leaves. Folks have been griping about it so much that he's addressed it himself multiple times. He's not going to do it. He doesn't believe in it.

But sure I'm sure this time you have a new spin on it we haven't heard for the last 15 seasons.

Turnovers are our Achille's heel. NW had so many more posessions than we did. Mental breakdowns. When our offense becomes completely Edey and no one else, we are in trouble. Jones hurt us in the last few minutes of regulat

Bingo........Ya hit the nail on the head there!...and once again 3 pt shooting let us down again....tight games guys lose confidence look timid..and put it all on Edey. Plus their guard play totally outplayed ours...Smith ..Jones. 7-23 shooting...left 10 plus pts at the FT line....3 of those were one and the bonus...

Last edited:
Morton haters got their wish. Heide and Loyer got abused repeatedly. Go look at the end of the Tennessee and what Morton did on D to close out that game. Sure he gets beaten sometimes, but time after time after time like Loyer and Heide? . Try something different coach.
I wondered the same thing. At least situationally give him a shot out there against Booie. Heide looked uncomfortable and not sure that is putting him in the best position to guard and All B1G Super Sr PG. I don't think Morton's would have done worse and at least has experience in those situations.

On the flip, we all know Cam has a ton of potential, and taking an L in December so he can grow and the team will be better March is a trade most would be willing to take.

He hasn't meaningfully played it here. Regardless of whether he tried it in some game 15 years ago for five minutes or not, he's made it ABUNDANTLY clear he has no interest in trying it again.

We will play man defense here until he leaves. Folks have been griping about it so much that he's addressed it himself multiple times. He's not going to do it. He doesn't believe in it.

But sure I'm sure this time you have a new spin on it we haven't heard for the last 15 seasons.
What unique take do you have Einstein? Let's hear something from you that HASN'T been discussed on here before. It's all things that have been discussed, it's a message board.

Now you're admitting he has tried it, after you said he has NEVER used it at PU. Get your facts straight before you try to lecture anybody on their opinions.

Refs actually blew their whistle this time around but I’m still wondering why no whistles on Buie? The dude clearly shoved and arm bared Lance Jones on multiple occasions with no calls but somehow Lance fouls out and Buie plays the whole game……
Yeah I felt like Buie definitely should have at least had a technical when he went over and taunted the entire Purdue bench. I've seen technicals given for a lot less than that.

Refs actually blew their whistle this time around but I’m still wondering why no whistles on Buie? The dude clearly shoved and arm bared Lance Jones on multiple occasions with no calls but somehow Lance fouls out and Buie plays the whole game……
Didn’t he have 4 fouls?

NWestern identified the weak defensive links and brutalized us over and over again with little responses from our side. Once again quick guards are our kryptonite. As is poor shooting.

We simply rely so much on Edey that when he has an off night like tonight (for him), we struggle to put teams away.
He had an off night?

Morton haters got their wish. Heide and Loyer got abused repeatedly. Go look at the end of the Tennessee and what Morton did on D to close out that game. Sure he gets beaten sometimes, but time after time after time like Loyer and Heide? . Try something different coach.
The result would have been the same. Playing one play vs UT and getting a stop once is not the same as what Nw did with Buie. Morton got beat in the NW game too. Would he have came in for fletch? Cuz Nw was having his man high ball screen to get him to switch onto Buie. Morton’s offense is a big liability. Although, as much as it pains me to say this, painter could have seen what that would have been like. Or maybe double Buie out of the PnR and force someone else to beat us.

When a plane crashes, do you have to know how to fly a plane to know it was bad? Do you have to be a plan mechanic? Designer?
Ok so you good with waiting a minimum of 3-5 years of missing the tourney and not being competitive/ranked in the top 25? Or do you think somehow the AD is going to all of a sudden pay big money for another coach to come here (they won’t) and then pay out the huge buyout for painter? Do you also believe they’ll hit on the right coach and he will keep Purdue in the top 5 and have good recruiting classes? If so, then good on you and I’m impressed with your optimism.

But I’d bet Purdue wouldn’t be worth a damn consistently for at least 5 years if painter were to be let go and then we’d be like IU where they haven’t won much of anything for 20 years.

Ok so you good with waiting a minimum of 3-5 years of missing the tourney and not being competitive/ranked in the top 25? Or do you think somehow the AD is going to all of a sudden pay big money for another coach to come here (they won’t) and then pay out the huge buyout for painter? Do you also believe they’ll hit on the right coach and he will keep Purdue in the top 5 and have good recruiting classes? If so, then good on you and I’m impressed with your optimism.

But I’d bet Purdue wouldn’t be worth a damn consistently for at least 5 years if painter were to be let go and then we’d be like IU where they haven’t won much of anything for 20 years.
You're right. Watching a group of people think we're better than we really are rank us too high in preseason polls. Then, seeing team after team storm the court on us because we think we're the best team in the country. And, melting down in historic fashion on a national level as a #1 seed, #2 seed (actually insert any seed) in the NCAA is the best it will ever get for us. It would be too scary to attempt to get to the next level. I mean, we're just Purdue.

Reactions: Gesysp
You're right. Watching a group of people think we're better than we really are rank us too high in preseason polls. Then, seeing team after team storm the court on us because we think we're the best team in the country. And, melting down in historic fashion on a national level as a #1 seed, #2 seed (actually insert any seed) in the NCAA is the best it will ever get for us. It would be too scary to attempt to get to the next level. I mean, we're just Purdue.
I want the next level too but being somewhat realistic. I’m not saying it couldn’t happen with a new coach, but are you ready to go through the growing pains that comes with that? If you miss on that coach, you have to start all over and it’s close to a decade of not doing much. You also could hit on that perfect coach from a mid major that wants to come to Purdue for a bigger pay day but not as big as other schools, but I’d say that’s very tough to find that guy and then he has to recruit well too. If you’re willing to wait, then we should do it.

I want the next level too but being somewhat realistic. I’m not saying it couldn’t happen with a new coach, but are you ready to go through the growing pains that comes with that? If you miss on that coach, you have to start all over and it’s close to a decade of not doing much. You also could hit on that perfect coach from a mid major that wants to come to Purdue for a bigger pay day but not as big as other schools, but I’d say that’s very tough to find that guy and then he has to recruit well too. If you’re willing to wait, then we should do it.
You just found a different way of saying this is as good as it can get for us and we need to just settle. We'll never be better because we're Purdue. And, trying to get to the next level brings too much risk. It's too scary.

You just found a different way of saying this is as good as it can get for us and we need to just settle. We'll never be better because we're Purdue. And, trying to get to the next level brings too much risk. It's too scary.
Ok I’ll ask you again, are you willing to go 3-5 years of being bad in hopes that the program gets past what it is right now? If yes, then keep that same mindset all year and also while in the thick of it and missing the tournament multiple years and being middle of the pack of a bad conference for however long it takes to get to where the program is now.

Ok I’ll ask you again, are you willing to go 3-5 years of being bad in hopes that the program gets past what it is right now? If yes, then keep that same mindset all year and also while in the thick of it and missing the tournament multiple years and being middle of the pack of a bad conference for however long it takes to get to where the program is now.
Again, you found yet another way to say you're scared to try and reach the next level. Stop presenting scenarios that you don't know will or will not happen happen in an attempt to elicit an emotional response. You fear ghosts in your head. Just say you are too worried. You have no faith in our program. Clearly you think we are already doing better than we should. We're just Purdue.

You can’t play it if you don’t practice it and not as a one off.
He played it for a few games. I’m guessing 4-5. I previously listed 2 things in the zone that I think were issues.

Again, you found yet another way to say you're scared to try and reach the next level. Stop presenting scenarios that you don't know will or will not happen happen in an attempt to elicit an emotional response. You fear ghosts in your head. Just say you are too worried. You have no faith in our program. Clearly you think we are already doing better than we should. We're just Purdue.
Ok, “Let’s fire Painter!!!!!”

I have faith we are on an upward trend as painter is sustaining success and getting better and better recruits consistently. We don’t get 5 stars much, but we are getting some 4 stars next year. I assume we will
have a more guard/wing oriented offense due to not having a 7 footer as dominant as Zach next year and on.

I want a F4 this year, but let’s just get to the second weekend and see what happens, as once you get there, you need a bit of luck to advance (see UVA in 2019, see IU 2002, see Saint Peters 2022, see FAU and SDSU 2023, see VCU when Shaka was there).

We scored 88 points. That has to be enough points to beat a team like NW. Our defense was awful, I mean awful. No adjustments AGAIN. How many times do you have to see a high ball screen or iso to realize you can't guard him? I know some hate to hear it here, but there are more ways to play defense. 88 points has to be enough to win. Expecting to score more than that is not realistic.
Painters refusal to do anything but man D is one of the reasons he’s not an elite coach.

He played it for a few games. I’m guessing 4-5. I previously listed 2 things in the zone that I think were issues.
I remember Izzo used to go zone for out of bounds plays by the opponents basket. They almost always gave up good shots. They never played zone otherwise and it probably was just an aside for practice. I believe they stopped zoning out of bounds.

I remember Izzo used to go zone for out of bounds plays by the opponents basket. They almost always gave up good shots. They never played zone otherwise and it probably was just an aside for practice. I believe they stopped zoning out of bounds.
It was fairly common for a LOT of teams years ago to play zone

It is still fairly common for teams to play zone, just not in the B1G. You just need to watch other conferences to see it. St Joe went zone against Villanova a couple nights ago for several possessions in a row. It was very effective and announcers made comments about how the switch made a difference.

I'm just sick and tired of posters on here acting like playing a zone is some sort of outdated, never used defense. Just because it doesn't happen in the B1G, doesn't mean it doesn't happen.

Not as a primary defense, just in the tool bag to be used when your base defense isn't working. B1G isn't exactly the conference you want to use as an example of what works. 23 years and counting.....

I watched Iowa vs North Florida a few days ago. Jess Settles was talking about how smart Fran was for zoning the out of bounds plays. Said teams that play man on out of bounds plays are stupid. Then I thought.....what the heck has Fran ever won? Or maybe that's the one thing we can all learn from Fran....nah, I'll be happy to stick with man.

Bingo........Ya hit the nail on the head there!...and once again 3 pt shooting let us down again....tight games guys lose confidence look timid..and put it all on Edey. Plus their guard play totally outplayed ours...Smith ..Jones. 7-23 shooting...left 10 plus pts at the FT line....3 of those were one and the bonus...
We shot 75% at the line, yes would like to hit them all, but that is not bad. We lost the game with turnovers and at the defense end of the floor.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT