ADVERTISEMENT

Purdue at Northwestern: MASTER DISCUSSION THREAD

Our D failed us tonight
Boo is good, but he got a little protection. Physical game on Zach and I think it wore him down a bit towards the end. He missed some he normally makes and was a bit lazy to secure some passes as was the fatigue by the passer to not help him with a better angle. NW fought the whole game and Purdue fought in spurts. May win if only 13 turnovers? 😊

So if Purdue loses the rest of the season because of turnovers is that CMP's fault? Even though we have seen this scenario time after time? Such a weak thing to say "The coach didn't miss those shots" lol come on my guy...
It's pretty weak to try to make a point out of a ridiculous hypothetical situation. If I'm going to blame Painter for something I would say an inability season after season to instill a killer instinct in his players. I did not like the one dimensional offense for the majority of the second half, I think that's on Painter. Not having a zone or answer for Buie...ever is on Painter. In this game I don't think the players decision making and the resulting turnovers are on Painter.

It's the same team as last year.
Sucks seeing our guards get man handled again. I think this sums up that guards win. Our POTY played good but to many TO's from everyone. NW plays through the guards and that's why they had less TO's. It'll continue to be our nemesis.
He didn't play well at all. Way too many missed shots and free throws.

Gave NW's their first and 2nd and back to back wins against #1 teams. It's incredible. VCU, Little Rock, North Texas, St. Peters, and The 2nd team in history ever to lose to a number 16 in FDU... The 20 point comeback from Iowa back in the AJ Hammons days... We could keep going talking about deer in headlight losses... At some point there is no way you can continue to defend these types of losses...
This post should get its own sticky.

Prob what Purdue needs to take care of Iowa at home and going into Zona, likely to get back to #1. We weren't gonna go undefeated. Sucks losing to Collins again but payback coming for him in Mackey.
Does Northwestern play at Mackey this season?

I maintained guarded optimism through last year. I went into this year even more guarded. This is why.

It's pretty weak to try to make a point out of a ridiculous hypothetical situation. If I'm going to blame Painter for something I would say an inability season after season to instill a killer instinct in his players. I did not like the one dimensional offense for the majority of the second half, I think that's on Painter. Not having a zone or answer for Buie...ever is on Painter. In this game I don't think the players decision making and the resulting turnovers are on Painter.
So you just told me things that were CMP's fault that led to a loss but are still saying it wasn't his fault? Amazing... The hypothetical was to show your comment was ridiculous... Play it out... If they keep losing based on Turnovers, which they did a ton last year, and the year before, and... Is it his fault?

I love Zach and I love all of the centers Painter has had. But look at his best tournament team. Guard dominated and a mobile big who could play the pick and roll and shoot threes.

Again I love Zach but this team cannot stop the pick and roll. I hope going forward Painter tries to recreate the magic of that 2019 team.

Reactions: titaniumbolt
Fire cmp or keep him on as a recruiter we got pj and already let cuonzo go bad decision. Idk the situation but it smells

sooooooooooooooooooooooooo if NW were to make the tourney, what would their seed be? 12? 13? 14? 15? 16? play in?

So you just told me things that were CMP's fault that led to a loss but are still saying it wasn't his fault? Amazing... The hypothetical was to show your comment was ridiculous... Play it out... If they keep losing based on Turnovers, which they did a ton last year, and the year before, and... Is it his fault?
I think it's his fault when he recruited small, unathletic, zero strength guards with no ability to create their own shot. He had 2 classes to fill that void and that's why we get beat by guard oriented teams.

We don’t have anyone else. Because we didn’t use the portal.
we used the portal for Jones. Initially Painter was trying to sign a PG via the portal. However, the ones he tried to recruit signed elsewhere. Jones is not a PG but was known for his defense, decent ball handling skills, and his desire to shoot a lot of 3 pointers.

Reactions: mathboy
We scored 88 points. That has to be enough points to beat a team like NW. Our defense was awful, I mean awful. No adjustments AGAIN. How many times do you have to see a high ball screen or iso to realize you can't guard him? I know some hate to hear it here, but there are more ways to play defense. 88 points has to be enough to win. Expecting to score more than that is not realistic.

I think it's his fault when he recruited small, unathletic, zero strength guards with no ability to create their own shot. He had 2 classes to fill that void and that's why we get beat by guard oriented teams.
It’s not rocket science but if you say that at any time here, other than after a loss, the apologists get out their pitchforks.

Only thing I would add is heady guards win in March. It really ain’t hard. 2019 proved this.

NWestern identified the weak defensive links and brutalized us over and over again with little responses from our side. Once again quick guards are our kryptonite. As is poor shooting.

We simply rely so much on Edey that when he has an off night like tonight (for him), we struggle to put teams away.

We scored 88 points. That has to be enough points to beat a team like NW. Our defense was awful, I mean awful. No adjustments AGAIN. How many times do you have to see a high ball screen or iso to realize you can't guard him? I know some hate to hear it here, but there are more ways to play defense. 88 points has to be enough to win. Expecting to score more than that is not realistic.
Painter is never, ever, ever, ever going to play zone. He just isn't. It's a waste of time to even talk about it. Not even situationally. Right, wrong, it's never going to happen.

His adjustments will be how he plays man, it's never going to be going to a zone.

Sooo, for the guys saying we don’t need scoring from the 4…🤔? 11 points from 3 players, needs to be better. Paint just called out all of the guards on the team. About being one way offensive players.

NWestern identified the weak defensive links and brutalized us over and over again with little responses from our side. Once again quick guards are our kryptonite. As is poor shooting.

We simply rely so much on Edey that when he has an off night like tonight (for him), we struggle to put teams away.
We cannot keep talented guards in front of us, at all. And the B10 guards are not even cream of the crop nationally.

Reactions: Gesysp and Dryfly88
Sooo, for the guys saying we don’t need scoring from the 4…🤔? 11 points from 3 players, needs to be better. Paint just called out all of the guards on the team. About being one way offensive players.
He can't make Smith any taller, make Loyer any stronger. He recruited this, leaves them in during crunch time but expects different results. That's on him. He's got to have some self blame in this game.

Zones do work…just give it damn chance. Switch up defenses. I think we were up 1 point in OT when Smith tried a Larry Bird no look pass behind the head, eh , Smith you’re no Larry Bird. A bonehead play, but don’t try to be Larry Bird.

Painter is never, ever, ever, ever going to play zone. He just isn't. It's a waste of time to even talk about it. Not even situationally. Right, wrong, it's never going to happen.

His adjustments will be how he plays man, it's never going to be going to a zone.
It's a waste of time to talk about TO's, FT shooting and poor offense, but we still do it here.

It's a waste of time to talk about TO's, FT shooting and poor offense, but we still do it here.
Those things are different. They come from the players. Zone comes from the coach and he's never ever ever ever going to do it.

Might as well ask me continually why I don't marry Selma Hayek.

Refs actually blew their whistle this time around but I’m still wondering why no whistles on Buie? The dude clearly shoved and arm bared Lance Jones on multiple occasions with no calls but somehow Lance fouls out and Buie plays the whole game……

Morton haters got their wish. Heide and Loyer got abused repeatedly. Go look at the end of the Tennessee and what Morton did on D to close out that game. Sure he gets beaten sometimes, but time after time after time like Loyer and Heide? . Try something different coach.

Reactions: Roeder
Hard to miss the fact we gave wide open layups away to punch it out to 3 who even does that
I agree, but did see it from another Big team the other day and thought the same thing . If you HAVE to have a 3 or it is extremely important. Otherwise score if you can.

Gave NW's their first and 2nd and back to back wins against #1 teams. It's incredible. VCU, Little Rock, North Texas, St. Peters, and The 2nd team in history ever to lose to a number 16 in FDU... The 20 point comeback from Iowa back in the AJ Hammons days... We could keep going talking about deer in headlight losses... At some point there is no way you can continue to defend these types of losses...
Wait until Sunday. Count on it.

Turnovers killed us. How many steals did they have when trying to force it into Edey? We also misses probably close to 10 easy layups. Even Edey missed a bunch. We barely even tried any 3 pointers in the 2nd half. Oh well. Rather get our first lost out of the way.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT