ADVERTISEMENT

Post Game Thoughts

klmLB

Redshirt Freshman
Nov 27, 2008
1) AJ played great. He does so much on defense. We are tough to score on when he's on the floor. His outside shooting has been so consistent this year. He has really put in the work to improve his game.

2) Mathias. I feel like this is the coming out game for Mathias. He was the man tonight with his shooting, drives, passes and good enough D. I like him on the curl or with a pick/roll situation with AJ or Biggie. Mathias is a decent enough driver, but more importantly looked good in the mid range pull up from the aggressive drive to the hoop. His passing can find AJ or Biggie rolling to the hoop or mid range (which they are both excellent at). Even if Mathias misses the jumper, AJ or Biggie attacking the glass creates a nice offensive rebound situation.

I don't expect that kind of production from Mathias every game of course, but if he is aggressive and a threat, it adds a missing dimension to the offense. Also, his confidence has to be high that he can make a play even if he's not having a great game.

3) Press. While we looked pretty bad against the press, I like the guards approach towards the end of attacking with the dribble when possible. Put the defender on their heel provided you aren't dribbling right into a double team. When we are so passive and backing up, the defender is the aggressor and seems to really make it tough for us. We will probably struggle against the press with our current team, but this approach seemed to work a lot better and even resulted in some good looks once we beat the press. Have to give Painter credit for that tactic.

Reactions: Zaphod_B
I think you are pretty much spot on with those points.

Specifically about your 3rd point, I was happy to hear CMP's comments to the ESPN on-court reporter following the game as he seemed indicate he wanted his guys to be aggressive against the press:

"We got tentative with the basketball. That generated some opportunities for them."
"We just told them, 'You have to use your dribble'...When we started getting aggressive and using our dribble and getting out of things, we started having more success."

PJ & Hill seemed to get the message; and, like you said, they had much more success when being aggressive. Hopefully, it's how they attack the press in the future.

We penetrated the lane at least 12 more times this game. Many did not turn out well, but we did it, which changes the defense a lot. Our offense was very different from most of the B1G season.

Regarding the press, MD played their big guy at the point of the press using his wingspan against our passing our of the trap. The solution to that is to dribble out as he is less nimble than a guard would be against a dribble breakout. Dribbling is what Painter told them to do, and they did it as best they could.

We penetrated the lane at least 12 more times this game. Many did not turn out well, but we did it, which changes the defense a lot. Our offense was very different from most of the B1G season.
Amazing how much better they looked when they were attacking the defense.
Even when they were getting blocks early in the second half, I was glad we were attacking.
Solid win.

Reactions: spradecki
Regarding the press, MD played their big guy at the point of the press using his wingspan against our passing our of the trap. The solution to that is to dribble out as he is less nimble than a guard would be against a dribble breakout. Dribbling is what Painter told them to do, and they did it as best they could.
Fortunately we won't play many teams in the NCAAs with two relatively quick/athletic 6'10" 3/4's that can put up that kind of wingspan defending the press passing lanes. Too bad it took us so long to realize you don't pick up your dribble and look for a pass in that situation.

1) AJ played great. He does so much on defense. We are tough to score on when he's on the floor. His outside shooting has been so consistent this year. He has really put in the work to improve his game.

2) Mathias. I feel like this is the coming out game for Mathias. He was the man tonight with his shooting, drives, passes and good enough D. I like him on the curl or with a pick/roll situation with AJ or Biggie. Mathias is a decent enough driver, but more importantly looked good in the mid range pull up from the aggressive drive to the hoop. His passing can find AJ or Biggie rolling to the hoop or mid range (which they are both excellent at). Even if Mathias misses the jumper, AJ or Biggie attacking the glass creates a nice offensive rebound situation.

I don't expect that kind of production from Mathias every game of course, but if he is aggressive and a threat, it adds a missing dimension to the offense. Also, his confidence has to be high that he can make a play even if he's not having a great game.

3) Press. While we looked pretty bad against the press, I like the guards approach towards the end of attacking with the dribble when possible. Put the defender on their heel provided you aren't dribbling right into a double team. When we are so passive and backing up, the defender is the aggressor and seems to really make it tough for us. We will probably struggle against the press with our current team, but this approach seemed to work a lot better and even resulted in some good looks once we beat the press. Have to give Painter credit for that tactic.
If Dakota can stay healthy he is going be a really good player the next two years!!!

Fortunately we won't play many teams in the NCAAs with two relatively quick/athletic 6'10" 3/4's that can put up that kind of wingspan defending the press passing lanes. Too bad it took us so long to realize you don't pick up your dribble and look for a pass in that situation.
Yep!

You can even pass it to a teammate standing out of bounds ... which makes for some interesting plays at a lower level.

Even with all of our flaws today, we won the game and made Maryland look bad , lol, which is the way is should be for God's sake. We are so much better than they are even with a gimpy Trimble, they (maryland) look like a top 64 RPI team, Purdue looks like a team that can go on a deep run. Maryland looks like a team that will last till the 2nd round then get their butts handed to them. Overrated is an understatement when talking about Maryland. Go Boilers, let's finish strong. I just wish we would get to play a top 5 or 10 team at home (Maryland's 10 ranking was over the top ridiculous).

Mathias was already good. There is no such thing as a break-out game. Players naturally fade in and out of stardom, he is likely to struggle shooting the next game, that's just the way it is. Why do you say "we will probably struggle against the press with our current team", WHAT??? we won the game and broke the press twice to end the game forcing Maryland into fouls, we also forced Maryland to take bad shots and burn all the clock up because of our defense....it was a Maryland blood-letting there at the end. The faces on the Maryland players was priceless. They were clueless how to break Purdue's defense. Once again, Painter almost failed us.

Reactions: Zaphod_B
No, you have to get the player inbounding the ball closer to where the trap is going to occur, it's pretty simple. We did a great job there on the last two possessions with the in-bound. Great job and had them running like a hawk.

No, you have to get the player inbounding the ball closer to where the trap is going to occur, it's pretty simple. We did a great job there on the last two possessions with the in-bound. Great job and had them running like a hawk.
Honey troll, I like that namr

great win. we were actually aggressive! loved the attitude and not taking any shit from that no talent ass clown douchemond stone. ajh has been a rock for us, just a complete player who is gonna make some money next year. dakota...what can you say really, lights out. was good to see ray look for his shot even though he said the fans arent his coach...lol doesnt make us wrong! so happy for the team. they deserved it.

Reactions: FLAG HUNTER
I was at game. Am always curious if what I see live has different perspective from TV. At any rate, my observations:

1. Mathias was awesome. This is the second time I have seen him play a stretch of time where he was the best player on the court - dictating play. Somehow he gets in this zone where he puts the defense in a 'reactionary' position. Nice shooting, a couple of great passes, nice drive. Had Maryland on their heels. Fun to see.

2. Hammons. Also awesome. I like when shoots the 3 ball. Every time he shoots, regardless from where, I think it is going in.

3. Haas and Biggie....very solid again

4. My, Maryland seems to whine alot. Not trimble, but their coach, Stone, a couple others. ugh

5. PJ is still hurt. It looked like he tripped a couple times but in hindsight I think his foot was just giving out. In second half we put Hill in for a long stretch. PJ was limping (not alot, but most definitely was) while trying to guard and run.

6. RayDay defense was really good. In fact, it looked outstanding in the first half and much of the second.

7. The press. Ugh. So glad when we actually tried to dribble - and up the court - to open passing lanes. I've always said beating a trap with NO dribble isnt a long term success.

8 Vince. OK, this one is a negative. PLEASE put your mouthpiece in or don't wear one. VE really needs to step up his intensity. I almost lost it in the second half. He was playing live action with his mouthpiece out. Through a lob entry that was picked off. His mouthpiece fell to the floor (he was not touched, just because he always has it out chewing on it). AS MARYLAND raced upcourt with the turnover, VE took 2 steps in the OPPOSITE direction to pick his mouthpiece off the floor. C'mon man. That is non-chalant. Spit the thing out for good and start PLAYING HARD. Love the kid, and it will happen. Just needs to start busting it again.

9. Trimble. Sulaimon has hurt trimble. He defers WAY too much. This should be his team and he doesnt choose to lead enough.

10 Stone. Kinda liked him til a couple games back and he facesquashed someone. But first thing outta locker room after half he runs over to a ref instead of warming up. Immediately starts complaining about Haas elbows while Haas posts up. Good grief. Play the game, young thug. And then your taunting of Rayday. Diamond, you were the third best center on the court today. Truth hurts.

A fun day and always love the Boiler W.

Now for those who watched on TV (sorry about the Dickie v torture), how off-base are my observations?

I was at game. Am always curious if what I see live has different perspective from TV. At any rate, my observations:

1. Mathias was awesome. This is the second time I have seen him play a stretch of time where he was the best player on the court - dictating play. Somehow he gets in this zone where he puts the defense in a 'reactionary' position. Nice shooting, a couple of great passes, nice drive. Had Maryland on their heels. Fun to see.

2. Hammons. Also awesome. I like when shoots the 3 ball. Every time he shoots, regardless from where, I think it is going in.

3. Haas and Biggie....very solid again

4. My, Maryland seems to whine alot. Not trimble, but their coach, Stone, a couple others. ugh

5. PJ is still hurt. It looked like he tripped a couple times but in hindsight I think his foot was just giving out. In second half we put Hill in for a long stretch. PJ was limping (not alot, but most definitely was) while trying to guard and run.

6. RayDay defense was really good. In fact, it looked outstanding in the first half and much of the second.

7. The press. Ugh. So glad when we actually tried to dribble - and up the court - to open passing lanes. I've always said beating a trap with NO dribble isnt a long term success.

8 Vince. OK, this one is a negative. PLEASE put your mouthpiece in or don't wear one. VE really needs to step up his intensity. I almost lost it in the second half. He was playing live action with his mouthpiece out. Through a lob entry that was picked off. His mouthpiece fell to the floor (he was not touched, just because he always has it out chewing on it). AS MARYLAND raced upcourt with the turnover, VE took 2 steps in the OPPOSITE direction to pick his mouthpiece off the floor. C'mon man. That is non-chalant. Spit the thing out for good and start PLAYING HARD. Love the kid, and it will happen. Just needs to start busting it again.

9. Trimble. Sulaimon has hurt trimble. He defers WAY too much. This should be his team and he doesnt choose to lead enough.

10 Stone. Kinda liked him til a couple games back and he facesquashed someone. But first thing outta locker room after half he runs over to a ref instead of warming up. Immediately starts complaining about Haas elbows while Haas posts up. Good grief. Play the game, young thug. And then your taunting of Rayday. Diamond, you were the third best center on the court today. Truth hurts.

A fun day and always love the Boiler W.

Now for those who watched on TV (sorry about the Dickie v torture), how off-base are my observations?

Was there at the game today as well State. B/c of Stone Maryland has passed iu as the team I dislike the most in the BIG this year. Dude is already a really good player but man is his character terrible right now. He is just so hate-able. Honestly iu just doesn't have that one guy to make them over the top hate-able. Stone is that guy this year though for me. He will be a load once he matures mentally.
I thought a very important stretch happened in the 1st half when MD was making their comeback and stone was getting all chesty and what not but big Haas matched him bucket for bucket for like a 6 point stretch. MD couldn't get the lead b/c Haas calmly did his thing against stone.

Was there at the game today as well State. B/c of Stone Maryland has passed iu as the team I dislike the most in the BIG this year. Dude is already a really good player but man is his character terrible right now. He is just so hate-able. Honestly iu just doesn't have that one guy to make them over the top hate-able. Stone is that guy this year though for me. He will be a load once he matures mentally.
I thought a very important stretch happened in the 1st half when MD was making their comeback and stone was getting all chesty and what not but big Haas matched him bucket for bucket for like a 6 point stretch. MD couldn't get the lead b/c Haas calmly did his thing against stone.
Very good observation about the Stone Haas battle. Stone can make players look silly because he can man-handle you. I have no idea who will guard this monster when MD plays IU, it will be funny to watch to see who will try to guard him. LOL, ROTFL. It should be comical. One guy on IU that is over-the-top-hate-able is Tom Crean.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT