ADVERTISEMENT

Post Covid 19....What will change the most for you and for the country.

TwinDegrees2

All-American
Aug 8, 2009
North Central Indiana
Please...leave ALL politics out of this and for once be civil with each other. I really believe this can be a very enlightening thread and maybe all of us can see another side to someone.

Just a few starter questions:
Will our country be more apt to want things made in America? That's always been one of my nits...that we simply don't demand that happen, nor do we take the time to read labels.. For another, I want med's made in this country, mainly to keep the US from being held hostage at the whim of a dictator. And I damned sure don't want food that comes from China....or from a couple of other countries.

Will our relationship with China change and in what way?

Will we revert back to the formal normal, will you be more cautious, will you still shake hands?

Will masks be used by more?

How will you personally be more attentive and cautious?

Have you exercised more and if so will that continue?

Will you spend less, eat out less because of eating at home?

How many will actually appreciate the time you had off with family?

How many will be happy to have a daily routine back?

Do you want to continue to work from home?

What have you discovered about your spouse/significant other and/or kids?

What have you missed most, and what have you not missed at all that you thought you would?

Any other changes you think will take place.

Again, please try your hardest to refrain from making this a political rant. I'm guessing all of us have some "unique" things we've done during this abnormal situation. I've cleaned two garages, prepared more motorcycle parts than I should ever have accumulated to list on Ebay along with two motorcycles. I've donated two pick up loads of stuff to our local mission, and bought meals for folks I don't even know. And....I've done more carry out than ever before to help keep our local restaurants afloat.

Reactions: MJ-79Boiler
Please...leave ALL politics out of this and for once be civil with each other. I really believe this can be a very enlightening thread and maybe all of us can see another side to someone.

Will our country be more apt to want things made in America? That's always been one of my nits...that we simply don't demand that happen, nor do we take the time to read labels.. For another, I want med's made in this country, mainly to keep the US from being held hostage at the whim of a dictator. And I damned sure don't want food that comes from China....or from a couple of other countries.

Will we revert back to the formal normal, will you be more cautious, will you still shake hands?

What have you missed most, and what have you not missed at all that you thought you would?

Again, please try your hardest to refrain from making this a political rant. I'm guessing all of us have some "unique" things we've done during this abnormal situation. I've cleaned two garages, prepared more motorcycle parts than I should ever have accumulated to list on Ebay along with two motorcycles. I've donated two pick up loads of stuff to our local mission, and bought meals for folks I don't even know. And....I've done more carry out than ever before to help keep our local restaurants afloat.
I think most about going to big live events, concerts, ballgames, etc. I am so bummed about the summer concert schedule potentially getting completely wiped out.

First paragraph, only.
Simple: If Americans are going to BUY only American goods.....we're not going to be able to SELL American goods, for the most part.
You might want to survey all US consumers and all US business & industry for their opinions.
This is 2020. Not 1720.

First paragraph, only.
Simple: If Americans are going to BUY only American goods.....we're not going to be able to SELL American goods, for the most part.
You might want to survey all US consumers and all US business & industry for their opinions.
This is 2020. Not 1720.
Once again...you introduce your opinion, but failed to actually answer the original question.

A list of questions
Will our country be more apt to want things made in America? Some will, but when it comes to economics, it'll still go to the lowest bidder over the long haul. Any meaningful change in outsourcing will move from China to someplace else (Mexico, Vietnam, Thailand, Korea, etc.)

Will our relationship with China change and in what way? Changes are coming to our relationship with China, but those will be more based on what China does in the SCS and Taiwan. This thing has been a black mark against them, and they are looking for as much positive news about China as they can get approaching their centennial celebration. They want to be seen as a global competitor to the US so people won't intervene when they move on Taiwan, and I don't think this has helped them in the world's eyes.

I can see handshakes going the way of the dodo, but I think it's more likely that we will revert to habit. Folks will be more cautious for a time, however.

During flu season, probably.

I am better at washing my hands than I used to be. I'm already a small germophobe, using towels to open bathroom doors, etc.

Same as before. My schedule hasn't changed much at all through this.

Nope, if anything we've eaten "out" more by focusing on Uber Eats and Door Dash delivery from local places to help them. I could see that continuing because of the babies. It's cheaper to bring food in, drink our own wine, enjoy someone else's cooking and not pay a babysitter. That said, getting out of the house is nice.

What time off?

Routine is the same.

I don't work from home. I plan to in the future but that will require a career change first.

Nothing I didn't already know.

For me it hasn't been as major an impact as most other people.

I think this has driven me to be more likely to change careers (again) come late summer early fall. We're going to survive this financially, probably even come out of it in a better spot than we went in because I had cash on the sidelines that's been mostly moved in now, so this has given me a bit more confidence to go pursue what I really want to be doing. That will be especially true if the 20% paycut I've taken remains in place for too long after business fires back up.

First paragraph, only.
This is 2020. Not 1720.
3.2.1. Just couldn't do it could you?

I will be a lot more attentive to touching things used by many especially handrails. Washing hands more was never a big germaphobe and I still ascribe to the theory that getting a little bit along the way vs being totally antiseptic builds immunity to normal colds and flu etc. Big crowds of people in small areas . Keeping a supply of staple foods which I did anyway for the most part. Washing fresh produce, I am avoiding it now as seems hard to believe that a cold water rinse on it is effective if we use alcohol or soap and hot water on other stuff. If cooking it is one thing but raw for salad. Thinking about touch pads at gas stations. Fast food drive thru .Those are top ones to me, off the top of my head.

I think most about going to big live events, concerts, ballgames, etc. I am so bummed about the summer concert schedule potentially getting completely wiped out.
The brother and I live in Denver, parents back in WL. They come visit a couple times a year, so for Christmas I got them tickets to Red Rocks with me and my brother in July -- which is like the best time of year for shows. Feel comfortable thinking that's not gonna happen.

And it's a bummer...Black Keys with Gary Clarke Jr and Marcus King Band as openers. Would've been excellent.

Once again...you introduce your opinion, but failed to actually answer the original question.
I only answered your first "STARTER QUESTION", as it relates to world trade.
If you think it's only an "opinion" that to have this country revert to a pre-Colonial trade environment would be incomprehensibly insane.....then you need a refresher course in economics.

I only answered your first "STARTER QUESTION", as it relates to world trade.
If you think it's only an "opinion" that to have this country revert to a pre-Colonial trade environment would be incomprehensibly insane.....then you need a refresher course in economics.
You are just absolutely incapable of making a post without arguing with someone , even when he stated at the top that wasn't the purpose of his post.

Reactions: SKYDOG
The brother and I live in Denver, parents back in WL. They come visit a couple times a year, so for Christmas I got them tickets to Red Rocks with me and my brother in July -- which is like the best time of year for shows. Feel comfortable thinking that's not gonna happen.

And it's a bummer...Black Keys with Gary Clarke Jr and Marcus King Band as openers. Would've been excellent.
Saw My Morning Jacket at Red Rocks a few years back. Awesome venue.

You are just absolutely incapable of making a post without arguing with someone , even when he stated at the top that wasn't the purpose of his post.
3.2.1. Just couldn't do it could you?
"3 - 2 - 1"....who could forget ? A SquirrelGuy staple.
Fool, I answered a QUESTION posed by the poster who asked a series of them. It only becomes "an argument" if someone else wants to make it one. You wanna ?
The post referred to did not make it a requirement to answer all or even most of the questions asked.
Congratulations to you for your full participation in the Twinster's survey.

"3 - 2 - 1"....who could forget ? A SquirrelGuy staple.
Fool, I answered a QUESTION posed by the poster who asked a series of them. It only becomes "an argument" if someone else wants to make it one. You wanna ?
The post referred to did not make it a requirement to answer all or even most of the questions asked.
Congratulations to you for your full participation in the Twinster's survey.
Once again your comprehension fails. You have to make everything an argument. You wanna?Want to what? I am not derailing Twins thread with another reply to your sorrya$$ bullsh!t.

I need some new guitar strings and thought about my normal trip to the shop. I would lean on the counter for a while and talk with the guys, then proceed to pick up around 5 different guitars that I don't need, play them, and put them right back on the rack. Now, that would require a Clorox wipedown which is bad news for a '57 Gibson Les Paul reissue.

Then I thought about Trick or Treating.

Once again your comprehension fails. You have to make everything an argument. You wanna?Want to what? I am not derailing Twins thread with another reply to your sorrya$$ bullsh!t.
You just did EXACTLY THAT, fool.

Yes. Critical products like pharm, medical supplies, tech supplies and other manufacturing will be moved away from China. Pharma and medical related industries will most likely be 100% Made in USA. This pandemic is a huge wakeup that the US cannot depend on China or other countries for goods that are critical to our economy and safety.

Once vaccine(s) are approved, hand shake, hugs, etc will be back to normal.

Was a cautious person before the pandemic, specifically during flu season, prob not much different post.

Pretty much same routine pre and post. Run 4-6 times a week. Most hiking trails are closed, will get out for day hikes once they open. Prob get out and smack some golf balls, they are ready for a beating! Most time eat healthy, maybe some minor changes. Overall health is excellent for a person in mid-60's.

Good to get outside more, shelter in home and statewide bans have pretty much shut down outside activity other than exercise.

N/A, retired.

Freedom to get out - hike, photography, golf, meet up with friends.

US will most likely cut funding to world organizations until other countries take on more fiscal responsibility.

First paragraph, only.
This is 2020. Not 1720.

FYI our trade deficit is well over 600 billion dollars.
It has dropped each year under Trump but is still HUGE.
Your last sentence however is very telling to why we have such a deficit.
Consumers want cheap goods (damned the environment), (damned the American worker).

Reactions: TwinDegrees2
Consumers want cheap goods (damned the environment), (damned the American worker).
" The American worker " ??
Try cutting off or significantly reducing international trade markets and see how prosperous the American worker becomes ! Trade agreements are 2-way streets.
Economists and many Americans realize that trade deficits have often been a sign of a healthy US economy, in many (not all) respects. Enormously complex subject. No black/white. Just shaqdes of gray.

" The American worker " ??
Try cutting off or significantly reducing international trade markets and see how prosperous the American worker becomes ! Trade agreements are 2-way streets.
Economists and many Americans realize that trade deficits have often been a sign of a healthy US economy, in many (not all) respects. Enormously complex subject. No black/white. Just shaqdes of gray.

A two way street with four lanes going one direction and one lane the other.
The US standard of living has benefited from cheap goods. I disagree the American worker has.
In three years trade agreements have been negotiated with other countries that increase the US exports and decrease imports.
In those three years, virus be damned, the economy was unprecedented. The total employed was at all time highs.

In general, I expect the following changes:

1.) People will take the flu season much more seriously
- More people will get flu shots
- More people will have medical supplies at home and with them when they travel (ie Gloves, masks, etc..)
- Just like 911 heightened our awareness on planes, this will heighten our awareness to the flu season and tracking the latest news
2.) Economically, we will be in the worst economic downturn since the great depression. (regardless of gov. attempts to support small business, many will go out of business, a large pool of unemployed will need to be retrained for new jobs, and people will save more, leading to a prolonged drop in activity)
3.) The American public will demand a plan for avoiding the next virus outbreak /pandemic. (ie multiple suppliers for all critical medical supplies, more in national stockpiles, more hazmat suits, more respirators, etc..)
4.) The American public will NOT trust our government to do the right things in the future to protect them. After 911, the hurricane in New Orleans and now this, there will be more people planning for worst case situations now, whether you call them doomsday preppers or not.
5.) The country will be more divided than before the COVID virus - if that is possible
6.) The 2020 election will see the greatest participation in our history, providing that mail-in ballots are allowed.
7.) We will have more people with underlying conditions and more people on social programs - for a long time.
8.) More people will rethink their positions on healthcare, social programs and future elections
9.) More people will be living for "TODAY" versus the "FUTURE" and will be planning less for old age.
10.) More people will have a new appreciation for nature and in getting outside. &

LESS people will trust foreign countries, especially China

2016 trade deficit: $503b
2019 trade deficit: $617b

Reactions: indy35
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT