ADVERTISEMENT

Grab you ankles,

BoilerMadness

All-American
Jul 7, 2004
because you're about to get reamed.

Biden & the Dems want to add 87,000 new IRS agents, under the pretense that they're going to go after tax cheaters. Stop and think about this for a minute. That's 87,000 agents, who will probably get paid nominally $100K/yr each plus benefits. That means this gaggle of agents will cost the taxpayers $8.7 Billion/year forever, since we know the size of government never decreases.

Then think about what these agents are going to do to justify their income. They've obviously got to be able to recover some multiple of their income annually to justify their existence. How many Billions of dollars worth of cheating would justify such a large army of agents? they're selling it as going after corporate tax cheats, but it will more likely be small business and independent contractors, then the middle class will be next I'll guarantee that they are going to be crawling up all our asses looking for nickels, before they're done. You're about to see a monumental abuse of power.

For all you Dems, who like Big Government, how long will it take you to figure out that Big Government means MORE regulations, which eventually infringes on your rights. Big Brother is NOT your friend.

This is just another step toward Big Government Storm Troopers invading our privacy.

I'd rather have them hire some accountants to track down the $400 - $600 Billion in stimulus money that seems to have disappeared in the ether. Big Government = Big Spending Bills = Big Graft/Corruption. Just think of all the $Trillions that Congress has wasted over the last two decades and they're coming after us to force us to give them more to waste.

It’s the Democrats way of getting back at the Republicans for taking away the Democrats State and Local Tax (SALT) deduction

Biden & the Dems want to add 87,000 new IRS agents, under the pretense that they're going to go after tax cheaters. Stop and think about this for a minute. That's 87,000 agents, who will probably get paid nominally $100K/yr each plus benefits. That means this gaggle of agents will cost the taxpayers $8.7 Billion/year forever, since we know the size of government never decreases.

Then think about what these agents are going to do to justify their income. They've obviously got to be able to recover some multiple of their income annually to justify their existence. How many Billions of dollars worth of cheating would justify such a large army of agents? they're selling it as going after corporate tax cheats, but it will more likely be small business and independent contractors, then the middle class will be next I'll guarantee that they are going to be crawling up all our asses looking for nickels, before they're done. You're about to see a monumental abuse of power.

For all you Dems, who like Big Government, how long will it take you to figure out that Big Government means MORE regulations, which eventually infringes on your rights. Big Brother is NOT your friend.

This is just another step toward Big Government Storm Troopers invading our privacy.

I'd rather have them hire some accountants to track down the $400 - $600 Billion in stimulus money that seems to have disappeared in the ether. Big Government = Big Spending Bills = Big Graft/Corruption. Just think of all the $Trillions that Congress has wasted over the last two decades and they're coming after us to force us to give them more to waste.
What scares me the most is how the IRS will be even more politically weaponized. And yes I pay more than my fair share

I don't get your complaint. Are you saying that we should NOT add staff to an understaffed department that is costing $600B because of not having enough workers?

"The IRS is woefully understaffed and will miss about $600 billion in uncollected taxes this year as it grapples with technology built before humans landed on the moon."

So, do I read this correctly that you're concerned that, with additional staff, the IRS will run out of corporate tax cheats and will have to also deal with small business and middle class tax cheats? Is that a problem? Are small businesses and middle class folks allowed to cheat on THEIR taxes because they're not as rich? Seems to me, if you're worried that the IRS taking a closer look at your taxes is somehow going to cost you more money, that says more about your willingness or ability to do your taxes correctly.

I don't get your complaint. Are you saying that we should NOT add staff to an understaffed department that is costing $600B because of not having enough workers?

"The IRS is woefully understaffed and will miss about $600 billion in uncollected taxes this year as it grapples with technology built before humans landed on the moon."

so let’s do the math here…

hire 87,000 new employees.

pay them $100,000 (including benefits…add government pension that’s probably low)

that’s a cost of $8.7B…to collect $600B/yr.

What happens when that “gold mine” nets $6B?

Why not hire 1k IRS people and prove the theory first? Also, hiring 87k IRS agents in a recession sounds dumb unless they are going back to 2019.

Last edited:

pay them $100,000 (including benefits…add government pension that’s probably low)

What happens when that net amount turns out to be $6B
Congratulations. You just explained how business decisions are made. On paper it’s a great ROI and you hope for that and decide what your risk tolerance is going to be. I’m assuming the $600B wasn’t pulled out of thin air. And if the net is $6b then lots of heads should roll. I’m not sure what point you’re making here because outside of your random net figure, and unless I’m missing something, then it’s a no-brainer.

Sure, we can argue the merits given that no one really likes the IRS but from a pure business perspective why shouldn’t they do this?

Why not hire 1k IRS people and prove the theory first? Also, hiring 87k IRS agents in a recession sounds dumb unless they are going back to 2019.
Is this your final edit😂😂

Ding ding ding ding ding, you get it. Spend $8.7B to collect $600B. Even if it "nets" $6B, it's still a win.

And yes, the plan is actually to hire 10k workers first to relieve massive backlog. The 87k figure is the ultimate target, but it's 10k first. I also don't think it's dumb to hire agents in a recession. There's a massive backlog and hiring workers to do necessary job seems like a win-win. Can you explain why that is dumb?

BTW, the news actually came out in March. No idea why the OP decided to bring it up almost five months later. He could have just attached a link and save all of us plenty of time, duh. As usual, sounds like just people b!tching about nothing.

Reactions: indy35 and PUBV
Congratulations. You just explained how business decisions are made. On paper it’s a great ROI and you hope for that and decide what your risk tolerance is going to be. I’m assuming the $600B wasn’t pulled out of thin air. And if the net is $6b then lots of heads should roll. I’m not sure what point you’re making here because outside of your random net figure, and unless I’m missing something, then it’s a no-brainer.

Sure, we can argue the merits given that no one really likes the IRS but from a pure business perspective why shouldn’t they do this?
The point I’m making is the if I were “mining gold” why not start with a small unit and confirm the large gold deposits exist. And if they do, then hire more versus let’s hire 87k employees and start looking for diamonds under rocks on a beach.

Reactions: Boilermaker03
Ding ding ding ding ding, you get it. Spend $8.7B to collect $600B. Even if it "nets" $6B, it's still a win.

And yes, the plan is actually to hire 10k workers first to relieve massive backlog. The 87k figure is the ultimate target, but it's 10k first. I also don't think it's dumb to hire agents in a recession. There's a massive backlog and hiring workers to do necessary job seems like a win-win. Can you explain why that is dumb?

BTW, the news actually came out in March. No idea why the OP decided to bring it up almost five months later. He could have just attached a link and save all of us plenty of time, duh. As usual, sounds like just people b!tching about nothing.

How is spending $8.7B to receive $6B a “win”? I didn’t say $6B in profit. 8.7-6=-2.7 or thus, a loss

The point I’m making is the if I were “mining gold” why not start with a small unit and confirm the large gold deposits exist. And if they do, then hire more versus let’s hire 87k employees and start looking for diamonds under rocks on a beach.
Sorry, the post I replied to didn’t have that part in it. I get what you’re saying.

One wrong assumption is that any government worker, excluding those that put their lives on the line, justifies their paycheck.

How is spending $8.7B to receive $6B a “win”? I didn’t say $6B in profit. 8.7-6=-2.7 or thus, a loss
There may be more to it than trying to recover money by the IRS.

Last edited:
  • Wow
Reactions: Boilermaker03

It's the government. No projected revenue ever is achieved and heads never roll.

Did you actually read? That's exactly what they are doing. The 87k figure is what they project to be when it's all said and done. But the plan is to hire 10k first and then gradually hire more over many years.

Generate.

Let that one sink in.
Not really sure what you're getting at, but I was just giving Gunner a hard time for presenting a scenario in which the hiring of these IRS agents pays for itself because he forgot what the word "net" means.

Reactions: charlespig
There may be more to it than trying to recover money by the IRS.

With so many people out to get you, how do you muster up the courage to leave the house?

Reactions: indy35
With so many people out to get you, how do you muster up the courage to leave the house?
In all seriousness, arming the IRS seems pretty strange. The direction the government is going is not working for the people. It appears they are way more against the common man than for helping him.

Maybe if they spent their time on the real tax evaders vs harassing law abiding citizens they wouldn't be in such dire straights.

Because we don't need more un elected bureaucracy.

I'd prefer a consumption tax, but if we get less IRS I'm all for it.

I'd like a consumption tax too instead of income tax. If that makes less IRS, that's great. However, under the current system, the IRS is understaffed and faces a massive backlog, so I really don't understand why there's so much b!tching about hiring 10k staffers to address the issue.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT