ADVERTISEMENT

Penn State @ Purdue

Doh! Agree, if they come in talking smack, give them shit right back.
Truth be told PSU likely enjoyed Boilers beating VOLS with a much shorter roster than TN.
We’ll find out who’ll be the injured team one week from tonight. Franklin’s Cinderella coach job may turn into a pumpkin at the stroke of midnight and horses to mice.
Maybe I’m missing it, but I think it was a Purdue fan that commented on injuries. No PSU fan that I know called out the Boilers. 🤷‍♂️

Doh! Agree, if they come in talking smack, give them shit right back.
Truth be told PSU likely enjoyed Boilers beating VOLS with a much shorter roster than TN.
We’ll find out who’ll be the injured team one week from tonight. Franklin’s Cinderella coach job may turn into a pumpkin at the stroke of midnight and horses to mice.
It's a week away so I came over looking for a game thread. I didn't see one, so hopefully it's okay that I'm getting one started.

At any rate, what's the view on the opening game from Purdue fans? Strengths, weaknesses, predictions, etc?

Looking forward to football being back. Boiler Up (except for Thursday evening).

Reactions: BigTimeAt69
It's a week away so I came over looking for a game thread. I didn't see one, so hopefully it's okay that I'm getting one started.

At any rate, what's the view on the opening game from Purdue fans? Strengths, weaknesses, predictions, etc?

Looking forward to football being back. Boiler Up (except for Thursday evening).
Hoping for a clean game with no injuries. I think what everybody is going to see is a great Penn State football team.

Last edited:
IMO, Penn State looks REALLY tough if you look at the team that started 5-0 and was in control at Iowa before Clifford went down.

Then injuries, injuries

But Penn State looked Pedestrian in finishing 2-6. That included a seemingly healthy Clifford against OSU and their last 5 games. And while PSU looked better than Purdue against Wisconsin, they were just the opposite against MSU.

IMO, PSU is probably the best passing team (maybe MD?) we will face this year (but that isn’t saying a lot in the BiG West) but an obvious step down from OSU last year. The critical piece will be the PSU running game which failed miserably to get started last year. They were just above Purdue in rushing yds/game (Purdue 84 yds/game…PSU 107). Maybe they can improve that in 2022, maybe not.

I will say this, if Purdue is within 50 yds of PSU in rushing AND even in TOs, I expect us to win.

Our pass defense needs to show up and get stops. We wont be able to play a track meet like we did against Tenn or Mich St.

Positives for Purdue -
I trust our WRs less D Bell more than PSU WRs less Dotson.
I also like our ability to exploit the LB match ups in the passing game (unlike Wisconsin last year).

Negatives
Can we contain their running game and keep them under 175 yds? (I don’t see PSU pounding the ball down our throats like Wisconsin is capable of). Same for holding PSU’s passing game around 200 yds?

Make PSU one dimensional and Purdue gets the W. If PSU gets 200 yds rushing….ut oh.

My guess …Purdue 24, Penn State 20. A repeat of Iowa in 2020 where AOC gets Purdue a game winning TD in the last two minutes. Or maybe it’s a FG.

Do you visit Jerry Sandusky regularly?Since you are accusing Purdue of faking injuries in their Bowl win over SEC opponent Tennessee you should tell us how well your Nits did in their Bowl game vs SEC opponent Arkansas.Oh,you dont want to talk about that one,?The score was Arkansas 24 PSU 10.
Penn State fakes injuries, not Purdue?

IMO, Penn State looks REALLY tough if you look at the team that started 5-0 and was in control at Iowa before Clifford went down.

Then injuries, injuries

But Penn State looked Pedestrian in finishing 2-6. That included a seemingly healthy Clifford against OSU and their last 5 games. And while PSU looked better than Purdue against Wisconsin, they were just the opposite against MSU.

IMO, PSU is probably the best passing team (maybe MD?) we will face this year (but that isn’t saying a lot in the BiG West) but an obvious step down from OSU last year. The critical piece will be the PSU running game which failed miserably to get started last year. They were just above Purdue in rushing yds/game (Purdue 84 yds/game…PSU 107). Maybe they can improve that in 2022, maybe not.

I will say this, if Purdue is within 50 yds of PSU in rushing AND even in TOs, I expect us to win.

Our pass defense needs to show up and get stops. We wont be able to play a track meet like we did against Tenn or Mich St.

Positives for Purdue -
I trust our WRs less D Bell more than PSU WRs less Dotson.
I also like our ability to exploit the LB match ups in the passing game (unlike Wisconsin last year).

Negatives
Can we contain their running game and keep them under 175 yds? (I don’t see PSU pounding the ball down our throats like Wisconsin is capable of). Same for holding PSU’s passing game around 200 yds?

Make PSU one dimensional and Purdue gets the W. If PSU gets 200 yds rushing….ut oh.

My guess …Purdue 24, Penn State 20. A repeat of Iowa in 2020 where AOC gets Purdue a game winning TD in the last two minutes. Or maybe it’s a FG.

Without looking it up, I'd be shocked if PSU ran for 175 at all last year. I know we didn't have a single 100-yard rusher all season, a first for Penn State in the AP poll era.

I think it was pretty clear what PSU was doing, hopefully this is a clean game and none of that transpires.
Really? What makes more sense…. Penn State taking their best DL out of the game with a fake injury or Iowa fans trying to justify booing injured players by claiming the other team was faking injury to slow down the slowest offense in the league?

IMO, PSU is probably the best passing team (maybe MD?) we will face this year (but that isn’t saying a lot in the BiG West) but an obvious step down from OSU last year.
Is this a joke or are you actually worried about Sean Clifford?

Is this a joke or are you actually worried about Sean Clifford?
I am worried a little given the B1G West’s collective inability to move the ball thru the air and watching our pass defense against OSU and Tennessee last year. I hope I’m wrong as I doubt PSU commits to the air and I think our unit will be better with Trice, Brown, Jefferson and C Allen. But if we can’t get to the QB, I do have concerns about our pass defense holding up. I hope I am completely off base.

I am worried a little given the B1G West’s collective inability to move the ball thru the air and watching our pass defense against OSU and Tennessee last year. I hope I’m wrong as I doubt PSU commits to the air and I think our unit will be better with Trice, Brown, Jefferson and C Allen. But if we can’t get to the QB, I do have concerns about our pass defense holding up. I hope I am completely off base.
You named 2 teams out of 13 games and those 2 teams did it against everybody. nobody in the west outside of Purdue throws the ball.

Our secondary should be stout but we need to pressure him.

I hear you. Nobody was worried about Jack Coan last year either. Or Payton Thorn, who carved up our defense, albeit in a losing effort. Fortunately our offense was clicking on all cylinders by that point in the season.
Our pass rush is worrisome.

Reactions: purduepat1969
I hear you. Nobody was worried about Jack Coan last year either. Or Payton Thorn, who carved up our defense, albeit in a losing effort. Fortunately our offense was clicking on all cylinders by that point in the season.
Our pass rush is worrisome.
Doesn't Purdue return their leader sacker (Kydran Jenkins)? 5 sacks and 8TFLs...tough to think that the pass rush will be too bad, right?

Doesn't Purdue return their leader sacker (Kydran Jenkins)? 5 sacks and 8TFLs...tough to think that the pass rush will be too bad, right?
Karlaftis was being doubled and tripled and it would still take half an hour to get home. I don’t think we have a future pro on the starting DL. Caraway and Sydnor seem to have that athletic profile but that’s a true freshman and a RS Fr neither of whom has played meaningful snaps. At some point one of them may garner a decent percentage of snaps and Purdue will bring more heat but Clifford may either pick the blitz apart or Pat the ball with all day to throw.

Part of why I have 27-20 PSU with half of GBI losing their shit

Last edited:
I'll be front row in 114 or 115. I just know I will be absolutely hammered and screaming my 38 year old head off on every 3rd down. I think we win a nail biter and push our momentum to a 7-0 start.

Boilers 35
PSU 27

Reactions: TheGunner
I'll be front row in 114 or 115. I just know I will be absolutely hammered and screaming my 38 year old head off on every 3rd down. I think we win a nail biter and push our momentum to a 7-0 start.

Boilers 35
PSU 27
But why wait for third down?

I expect PSU to win and cover the points. My reasoning:

PSU wants to show last year was an aberration caused by injuries. They have a lot of talent ready to prove themselves.

Purdue historically plays very bad in their first 1-2 games. How many losses has Purdue had in opening games or second week games against inferior teams?

historically Purdue posters over rate their team. How many posters here were predicting National championships and final 4 for the basketball team? Preseason predictions from posters here has always been too optimistic! The term homer applies to many who post here!

if it rains, it’s a given we will lose.

a lot of people look at records rather than who teams played to base their predictions! Obviously Purdue had a better record last year. But PSU played against a lot stronger competition! If Purdue had OSU’s schedule last year, I doubt they would have enjoyed the same success.

lastly predictions should be made based on the players who will actually be playing the game, not on past performance! Purdue is not playing last year’s PSU team. And Purdue does not have the same players starting this year. Will our dl be as good without GK? Do we have a Wr as good as bell? PSU also lost some key players from last year as well. They lost their star Wr and also several other key players. Are their new players as good? I have no idea.

in summary I believe because Purdue always starts out the season with a poor performance, this year will be no different. I believe PSU has something to prove after last year and wants to make a statement. I believe PSU will win but not by as many points as their fans believe. I can see a 7-10 point win with PSU having an 8 minute drive in the 4th quarter to prevent Purdue from catching up.

One thing that hasn’t been brought up is ball control and time management. Purdue can’t score if psu runs the ball and eats up a lot of minutes on long drives.

Tell me that Stephen Pamon is NOT refereeing this game!? He was on the take in the Joe Tiller era.

Don't have to look too far to know he had gambling debts to cover.

Don’t forget this ref/gambler was also child abuser and had allegations of sexual harassment.

That score reminds me of the old SNL Chicago Bears fans skits.

Sounds like we are going to do a Ditka beating to the Nittany Lions. Of course, their score would have been more like da Boilers 100 pts Nittany Lions 2.

Da Boilersss!

ITvVRrS.gif

One thing that hasn’t been brought up is ball control and time management. Purdue can’t score if psu runs the ball and eats up a lot of minutes on long drives.
Franklin isn't a ball control type of coach. He favors a quick strike, big play offense. He counts the number of big plays each game and notes that in every post-game presser. PSU couldn't run the ball at all last year so its doubtful they will be able to maintain any sustained drives. That results in the D staying on the field longer and tiring out by fourth quarter. Look for this fight to go the distance.

I thought the earlier post about faking injuries was jab at Franklin and PSU (vs Iowa).
asch’s earlier comments about Franklins race is ridiculous. When your coach talks about being (almost)elite and blows multiple fourth quarter leads, then follows that up with sub-par seasons, you are bound to get disgruntled fans.
Last thing I will say, I love Franklin and hope he stays for a long time. He is a great recruiter and that asset alone will win us more games, in this era, than great coach who can’t recruit.

Now on to the game. I love the atmosphere at Purdue. Great setting, night game, crazy fans….I think this is going to cause a lot of problems for our O-Line. It is really important we start well, or we will struggle on O. If Cliff has time he can be really good. But he has some horrible tendencies. He locks on to his first receiver, doesn’t go through progressions quickly enough and if you get the slightest pressure, he throws off of his back foot. His mechanics have not improved over the last 13 years at PSU.

We will need to run. We have a great stable of backs, but the OL is a question mark again.

Our defense is vulnerable up front. Question marks at LB….if your OL is good, then short quick dump -offs will be an issue for us. AOC can dink and dunk us to death.

Factor in the atmosphere and I think Purdue has the edge. Last second field goal wins it for the Boilers. 24-23

Last edited:
I thought the earlier post about faking injuries was jab at Franklin and PSU (vs Iowa).
asch’s earlier comments about Franklins race is ridiculous. When your coach talks about being (almost)elite and blows multiple fourth quarter leads, then follows that up with sub-par seasons, you are bound to get disgruntled fans.
Last thing I will say, I love Franklin and hope he stays for a long time. He is a great recruiter and that asset alone will win us more games, in this era, than great coach who can’t recruit.

There's no doubt that winning cures everything in this industry. But, there's equally no doubt that Franklin has had a bigger hill to climb with a certain segment of the fan base due to his race, his lack of ties to Penn State, his supporting of players re: BLM, etc. I can't fathom trying to argue that it isn't a factor.

Anyway, looking forward to the game. I don't see either team winning by 10+, so I'll come down to a few plays to swing the outcome. Good luck.

I believe the game will be close. And I like Purdue’s kicking game! I believe Purdue’s success will be in gaining the lead and being able to control the ball and the time in the 4th qtr. I believe Purdue’s chances are better if they can hold the lead rather than accomplishing a last minute comeback against the experienced psu secondary. The game will provide a good indicator for both teams

Franklin isn't a ball control type of coach. He favors a quick strike, big play offense. He counts the number of big plays each game and notes that in every post-game presser. PSU couldn't run the ball at all last year so its doubtful they will be able to maintain any sustained drives. That results in the D staying on the field longer and tiring out by fourth quarter. Look for this fight to go the distance.
The other thing is.. a five star freshman as a solution to this in his first first game. Sounds great, but true freshman backs blocking in the pass game? That takes time

Reactions: PSUAschman
There's no doubt that winning cures everything in this industry. But, there's equally no doubt that Franklin has had a bigger hill to climb with a certain segment of the fan base due to his race, his lack of ties to Penn State, his supporting of players re: BLM, etc. I can't fathom trying to argue that it isn't a factor.

Anyway, looking forward to the game. I don't see either team winning by 10+, so I'll come down to a few plays to swing the outcome. Good luck.
Honestly, your best bet is just to come in and run the ball, dominate the line of scrimmage and time of possession. Go full Wisconsin on us (haven't beat them in like 100 years and they always do the exact same thing). Michigan knows. Minnesota is starting to figure it out. Be boring. The big plays will eventually pop. You have the talent advantage, don't get cute and allow coaching to neutralize the advantage. That is the mistake OSU makes against Purdue. Even Iowa has fallen into the trap. Just run, run, run throw in an occaisional play action over the top, and press our receivers. 30-17. Or get cute, play Brohm's game, f around, and find out.

Honestly, your best bet is just to come in and run the ball, dominate the line of scrimmage and time of possession. Go full Wisconsin on us (haven't beat them in like 100 years and they always do the exact same thing). Michigan knows. Minnesota is starting to figure it out. Be boring. The big plays will eventually pop. You have the talent advantage, don't get cute and allow coaching to neutralize the advantage. That is the mistake OSU makes against Purdue. Even Iowa has fallen into the trap. Just run, run, run throw in an occaisional play action over the top, and press our receivers. 30-17. Or get cute, play Brohm's game, f around, and find out.
Kinda funny right? The big programs always needed to adjust their defense to cover the spread. Adjust their offense? Why? They get bigger better linemen. I always wondered why harbaugh didn’t just do what he did at Stanford when he got to Michigan.

I think penn state should run to set up the pace. Going for big speed plays before Purdue is getting gashed by the run is playing right into Purdue’s hands

Reactions: FirstDownB
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT