ADVERTISEMENT

Penn State @ Purdue

Honestly, your best bet is just to come in and run the ball, dominate the line of scrimmage and time of possession. Go full Wisconsin on us (haven't beat them in like 100 years and they always do the exact same thing). Michigan knows. Minnesota is starting to figure it out. Be boring. The big plays will eventually pop. You have the talent advantage, don't get cute and allow coaching to neutralize the advantage. That is the mistake OSU makes against Purdue. Even Iowa has fallen into the trap. Just run, run, run throw in an occaisional play action over the top, and press our receivers. 30-17. Or get cute, play Brohm's game, f around, and find out.

Penn State had the worst run game in the conference last season. We couldn't run against Villanova.

A nice, boring win sounds great, but it's not possible with this team.

"Just run the ball"

I don't think you understand just how bad Penn State's run blocking was last year. However bad you're thinking, it was worse.

Penn State had the worst run game in the conference last season. We couldn't run against Villanova.

A nice, boring win sounds great, but it's not possible with this team.
Yeah but I hear Olu Fashanu and your Lg despite only about 200 reps are nice talents. You guys have to establish the run as a threat that Purdue needs to react to. Clifford isn’t that accurate. But if you can suck defenders in he’s great at laying passes out in front of open receivers that get lost in the secondary for big plays.

If you guys are up against a two high look because Purdue doesn’t have to worry about big runs, you’re in trouble. Purdue’s secondary isn’t penn state talented but it is athletic and a veteran laden group. I just think Franklin must know this and they must be ready to improve in that aspect. If he hasn’t devoted serious attention to it then I’d question his abilities as a coach.

if Purdue checks your run but has to keep guys up to do it, then I think.

thanks for coming here and not being a fan boy with a royal attitude

Reactions: PSUAschman
Yeah but I hear Olu Fashanu and your Lg despite only about 200 reps are nice talents. You guys have to establish the run as a threat that Purdue needs to react to. Clifford isn’t that accurate. But if you can suck defenders in he’s great at laying passes out in front of open receivers that get lost in the secondary for big plays.

If you guys are up against a two high look because Purdue doesn’t have to worry about big runs, you’re in trouble. Purdue’s secondary isn’t penn state talented but it is athletic and a veteran laden group. I just think Franklin must know this and they must be ready to improve in that aspect. If he hasn’t devoted serious attention to it then I’d question his abilities as a coach.

if Purdue checks your run but has to keep guys up to do it, then I think.

thanks for coming here and not being a fan boy with a royal attitude

"Despite only 200 reps".

I'm not sure they even have that much.

It's totally possible that Penn State hits on 3 new starters, and the other 2 OL improve, and also we have no injuries. But it's just as possible that the same guys on the depth chart that were bad last year are also bad this year (you mentioned the guard, presumably Wormley, who wasn't on the depth chart due to injury).

In reality, I'd expect somewhere in the middle. An improved OL that isn't totally overwhelmed, but not one that is going to impose its will either.

I do think you might underrate Clifford a little bit. As I mentioned earlier, if Purdue is good in coverage, he can still pick up yards with his legs. Idk his exact stats, but I'm sure he's over 1K yards rushing in his career if you exclude sacks.

"Despite only 200 reps".

I'm not sure they even have that much.

It's totally possible that Penn State hits on 3 new starters, and the other 2 OL improve, and also we have no injuries. But it's just as possible that the same guys on the depth chart that were bad last year are also bad this year (you mentioned the guard, presumably Wormley, who wasn't on the depth chart due to injury).

In reality, I'd expect somewhere in the middle. An improved OL that isn't totally overwhelmed, but not one that is going to impose its will either.

I do think you might underrate Clifford a little bit. As I mentioned earlier, if Purdue is good in coverage, he can still pick up yards with his legs. Idk his exact stats, but I'm sure he's over 1K yards rushing in his career if you exclude sacks.
No I was talking Landon tengwall. The bwi beat on he and Fashanu I thought was nice talents and about 200 game reps.

I have a good idea who Clifford is. Was just taking about his passing ability In a base situation. He is a threat to run and I think he makes enough of those plays for you guys to win by 7

"Just run the ball"

I don't think you understand just how bad Penn State's run blocking was last year. However bad you're thinking, it was worse.
I haven't looked at last year's stats, but was it worse than Purdue's? Was it...really? We stunk at the run for the most part 3+ years now.
I'm sure both teams are looking for improvement this year and both will. It just might not show for either team in game 1 since both Defenses are solid.

No I was talking Landon tengwall. The bwi beat on he and Fashanu I thought was nice talents and about 200 game reps.

I have a good idea who Clifford is. Was just taking about his passing ability In a base situation. He is a threat to run and I think he makes enough of those plays for you guys to win by 7

Got it. Tengwall was a big time recruit for sure.

You have to realize, I grew up primarily supporting two teams: Penn State football, and the Philadelphia Flyers. After decades of following and cheering, and zero championships to show for it, I've learned to consistently lower my expectations lol. So, decades of trauma and broken hearts have led me to not being sold on this OL until I see it.

You have to realize, I grew up primarily supporting two teams: Penn State football, and the Philadelphia Flyers. After decades of following and cheering, and zero championships to show for it, I've learned to consistently lower my expectations lol. So, decades of trauma and broken hearts have led me to not being sold on this OL until I see it.
But you do realize you’re playing managed expectations U on Thursday right? In my mind if I predict 27-20 penn state we have a chance and will have a good season. The second I mess around and say 34-20 Purdue we will lose 49-0 and unravel over the course of the year 😂

Reactions: FirstDownB
I haven't looked at last year's stats, but was it worse than Purdue's? Was it...really? We stunk at the run for the most part 3+ years now.
I'm sure both teams are looking for improvement this year and both will. It just might not show for either team in game 1 since both Defenses are solid.

Looking at some advanced stats, and both teams were pretty bad.

Penn State got "stuffed" (I believe 1 yard or less) 22% of the time, compared to only 19% for Purdue. But, all of the "explosive" stats (open field yards per rush, second level yards per rush, etc) were better for Penn State.

What that tells me is that Purdue had better OL blocking, but Penn State had better RBs on the rare instances that they got past the LOS.

In either case, both teams finished near the bottom of the P5 in various rushing stats.

Reactions: Matt Tiger
But you do realize you’re playing managed expectations U on Thursday right? In my mind if I predict 27-20 penn state we have a chance and will have a good season. The second I mess around and say 34-20 Purdue we will lose 49-0 and unravel over the course of the year 😂

Hey, I predicted a Penn State win! But these other PSU fan predictions of winning by 10+....if I start believing in that, then I'm just setting myself up for heartbreak.

Now, if PSU DOES win by 10+, I'll be looking up hotels in Indianapolis for late December by Friday morning...

You and I have similar thoughts.I will be shocked if either team wins by a large margin.If Purdue wins,it may be a springboard for a special season and if they lose,they have a rather mature team and should be able to rebound and have a decent year.We will see.Boiler up!

Hey, I predicted a Penn State win! But these other PSU fan predictions of winning by 10+....if I start believing in that, then I'm just setting myself up for heartbreak.

Now, if PSU DOES win by 10+, I'll be looking up hotels in Indianapolis for late December by Friday morning...
This game should go penn states way by a small margin if both teams play solid. If either team blows assignments, gets loose With the football, plays sloppy etc .. it can get away from them fast.

now what your psu fans predicting 10+ May be trying to say is that the talent difference is such that Purdue May try to overcompensate and end up blowing plays.

I have us losing by 7, also losing at Wisconsin and Minnesota and having one other game where shit happens and we go 8-4. If we do ant better than that I get to be thrilled

Reactions: BBG
This game should go penn states way by a small margin if both teams play solid. If either team blows assignments, gets loose With the football, plays sloppy etc .. it can get away from them fast.

now what your psu fans predicting 10+ May be trying to say is that the talent difference is such that Purdue May try to overcompensate and end up blowing plays.

I have us losing by 7, also losing at Wisconsin and Minnesota and having one other game where shit happens and we go 8-4. If we do ant better than that I get to be thrilled
I think this is a very realistic prediction for both the PSU game and the season . I just hope I have enough beer for all of it :)

• Love
Reactions: BCfanatic2020
I think this is a very realistic prediction for both the PSU game and the season . I just hope I have enough beer for all of it :)
2005 still haunts me. I was on here telling everyone they were a mediocre loser if they didn’t think we were going 11-0. Ever since then I go realistic first and get thrilled to death if there’s gravy

Reactions: BBG
I start every season hoping that Purdue will win the national championship and have a 15-0 season. . Then i will lower my expectations if there are losses and as they occur. But you're never going to be successful if you don't believe you can do it. No reason to start a season as a defeatist. Look at the Tyler Trent Ohio State game and see what's possible if you have the right attitude. Therefore I'm hoping for a Purdue blowout but will be happy with any win.

Brandon has scheduled a prime time address for Thursday. If he can remember the lies he supposed to tell maybe we wont miss much of the game.

don't forget about Singleton.

That would be a nice W for P 👍
Next%20Big%2012%20Champs_zpsq91cjk2r.png

Not gonna lie. This game has me worried.

Brohm teams have typically started the season slow.

With the loss of Karlaftis, I'm not sure where the pass rush is coming from. I haven't heard much out of camp to dissuade that concern. I think Clifford is going to be fairly comfortable in the pocket, which is a dangerous gambit with a veteran QB. And unfortunately a couple key guys in the Purdue secondary are getting a slow start due to lingering injuries.

Also, just my opinion, but this team just seems a bit too "comfortable" coming off 9-4 and the bowl win. I am going to need to see evidence of the hunger to prove something that we saw last year.

Add it all up and its just not a combination that gives me a lot of confidence in this particular game, black-out electric night game or not. I foresee something similar to last year's ND game where the offense struggles in the red zone and the defense gives up a couple too many big plays. Maybe 31-23 PSU or something along those lines.
Boy, was I way off..

Reactions: Wolegib
I believe the game will be close. And I like Purdue’s kicking game! I believe Purdue’s success will be in gaining the lead and being able to control the ball and the time in the 4th qtr. I believe Purdue’s chances are better if they can hold the lead rather than accomplishing a last minute comeback against the experienced psu secondary. The game will provide a good indicator for both teams
hmmmmmmm, interesting thoughts

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT