ADVERTISEMENT

Zach dunk

Heads up BOILER

True Freshman
Gold Member
Oct 3, 2021
So was the ball banked high off the board from Braden driving left side that Zach slammed home, a pass to Zach off the board or badly missed shot. I say a pass and Braden should get another assist!

Reactions: seminolesboilers
So was the ball banked high off the board from Braden driving left side that Zach slammed home, a pass to Zach off the board or badly missed shot. I say a pass and Braden should get another assist!
Absolutely a pass. Braden has done that a lot this year. This one is more obvious than most since he laid it up really high off the glass. I think it was the game before where he was under the backboard (bankboard for me) and he got it with enough angle to bounce back. When Zach is moving down the lane it has been really effective this year. Not all are passes, but a lot are

He and Fletcher both. If the clock is running down and Zach is in the paint, just get it on the glass.
I think that's either coaches instruction or they've just worked it out, but it's definitely happening a couple of times a game.

A lot of leeway is given to the score keeper in charge of assists. In this case it would be up to them to decide if it was intentional or he was really trying to shoot the ball.

In looking at the rules I learned something: Player A passes a long pass down the court to player B, Player B misses the layup but rebounds it and puts it in before defense arrives, Player A still gets an assist. Just thought that was interesting.

Reactions: tjreese
A lot of leeway is given to the score keeper in charge of assists. In this case it would be up to them to decide if it was intentional or he was really trying to shoot the ball.

In looking at the rules I learned something: Player A passes a long pass down the court to player B, Player B misses the layup but rebounds it and puts it in before defense arrives, Player A still gets an assist. Just thought that was interesting.
So does the guy that missed the shot get charged with a missed shot and rebound too?

Not to get too far into the weeds, but the rules for stats is quite long and detailed.

The thought years ago was it had to directly lead to a basket (dribbling could inhibit it). What I do know is that winning is more important to Braden than his stats even if they to "many" are symbolic to how well he plays. Like any player he wants to be recognized for his achievements, but winning is at the top. Now that people recognize how good he is I will now say that he came to Purdue wanting to lead them to a Final Four. Championships are what he craves...

So does the guy that missed the shot get charged with a missed shot and rebound too?
Yeah , I can recall a guy years ago that would miss at point blank, get the offensive board and hit the next one. That would show 1 offensive board and 50% FG... ;)

Reactions: mediaexpert
You can tell by his body positioning and head when he threw it that it was a throw and not a shot.

Yah I considered it a pass as did many others but the commentators talked about the “shot” but appeared only jokingly wondering about it being a pass. I just wanted others opinion because I thought in my mind it was pretty obvious.

Yah I considered it a pass as did many others but the commentators talked about the “shot” but appeared only jokingly wondering about it being a pass. I just wanted others opinion because I thought in my mind it was pretty obvious.
That's what happens when announcers don't know the teams and players. I remember when Jimmy Oliver played in a senior all-star game and banked in a long 3-pointer, which he had been doing his entire career. The announcers laughed and joked that he would say that he did it on purpose, when in fact, he did.

That's what happens when announcers don't know the teams and players. I remember when Jimmy Oliver played in a senior all-star game and banked in a long 3-pointer, which he had been doing his entire career. The announcers laughed and joked that he would say that he did it on purpose, when in fact, he did.
Yep...Jimmy used the glass. Nice, humble, polite young man.

? My reply was to Boiler Andy about Jimmy Oliver using the glass. You lost me?
Haha sorry it was kind of to the post above about announcers not knowing the players on the team…the announcers on Sunday called Braden, “Brady Smith” 😂

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT