ADVERTISEMENT

Painter

Here's the reality. Its okay to have a down year after the run we've had. Your not going to be in the top 2 or 3 every year. So in that respect I'm not surprised or upset about what looks to be a mediocre year.

The problem is that I don't see another class like Edwards, Mathias, Hass and PJ followed up by Biggie and then Carsen coming in to rebuild.

Vince Edwards, Mathias, and Haas all contributed their freshman year. For that matter so did Davis, Hammons, and Carsen. Even Stephens averaged 8 points a game as a freshmen. The last time Purdue didn't have a freshman score at least 5 points a game was 2010-2011 when Terone Johnson scored 4.9 points per game on the team with Moore and Johnson.

Haarms is the only freshman or sophomore scoring more than 6 points per game. Purdue only has one true freshman in the rotation and he is scoring 2 points per game and finally next years recruiting class isn't highly rated.

That's why I'm concerned.

THAT'S THE SCARY THING

regardless of how you feel about painter, one thing you can't accuse him of is being scared to play freshman. He's always played young guys, throughout his tenure. Only way to read this is these guys just aren't good enough to see minutes. As bad as this team looks, for this to be true, well it spells some ugly times in the near future.

To say that Painter cannot coach is ridiculous. A few games ago, they listed the numbrr of B1G COY awards. Painter has won 3 iirc. That was approximately 4-5th on the list all-time. You do not get thst by being incompetent.

Having said that, he has shortcomings. The primary one is closing on recruits and not being in 2nd place. The job of a staff is to shore up in areas where the boss is weaker. I place a lot of the problem there. Recruiting has suffered and we did not exploit the strong runs of recent years as they warranted.

Not why at all.

Sure it is. He was successful at Manhattan. Went to St John's, waa mediocre at best.
Got fired. The next stop New Mexico. Mediocre in a weak conference. Resigned because he couldn't take the criticism.

You're right. Success at 1 Mid-level school, barely above .500 at two other stints.

That is why schools are beating down the door to hire him.

To say that Painter cannot coach is ridiculous. A few games ago, they listed the numbrr of B1G COY awards. Painter has won 3 iirc. That was approximately 4-5th on the list all-time. You do not get thst by being incompetent.

Having said that, he has shortcomings. The primary one is closing on recruits and not being in 2nd place. The job of a staff is to shore up in areas where the boss is weaker. I place a lot of the problem there. Recruiting has suffered and we did not exploit the strong runs of recent years as they warranted.

Actually, it's the boss's job to build a diverse staff that fills any fundamental skill gaps. He apparently hasnt done that in recruiting. We're probably saying the same thing for the most part. But Painter is responsible, not his staff.

THAT'S THE SCARY THING

regardless of how you feel about painter, one thing you can't accuse him of is being scared to play freshman. He's always played young guys, throughout his tenure. Only way to read this is these guys just aren't good enough to see minutes. As bad as this team looks, for this to be true, well it spells some ugly times in the near future.
No, Painter does not play young guys. In the first game of the season against Fairfield, Eifert played 28 minutes. Why? You know what Eifert will give you against the top teams. A good coach who realizes the limitations of his team gives most of those minutes to someone else. Give 18 of those 28 minutes to Wheeler, Hunter, or Williams, and maybe they would be producing now. It’s unfair to thrust Wheeler, Hunter, or Williams into games against Michigan and other top teams and expect them to not look lost.

Reactions: Schnelk
Actually, it's the boss's job to build a diverse staff that fills any fundamental skill gaps. He apparently hasnt done that in recruiting. We're probably saying the same thing for the most part. But Painter is responsible, not his staff.

You are correct that we are basically saying the same thing. And yes, a boss is responsible for the makeup of his staff. However, the staff has to perform and I believe that they have come up short.

What are these things that you're talking about? This team would be far better if Painter played Wheeler and Hunter significantly more early on in the season. It's too late now to get them up to speed. You know what you're getting from guys like Eifert.....0's on the stat line

I don't think it's too late. They need more minutes from now on. It's the only way to get experience and then confidence. And put Williams in at least once every half. There is still time for them to contribute positively.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT