ADVERTISEMENT

Painter will not be fired that is a given. Now what?

Gman544

Redshirt Freshman
Feb 20, 2018
This thread is not for arguing whether he SHOULD be fired. Fact is he won’t. With that a given, what should be done to make the team better in the tourney in:

recruiting
game management
strategy ( zone etc.)
staff (coaches, psychologists, weight training etc)
whatever else you got.

For this thread firing Painter is not an option because it won’t happen, argue that in many other threads. So what can be done to elevate this team with him?

I don't think its a given. If donors stop sending checks and/or start griping and recruits start to jump ship, I think replacing CMP is def on the table.

The list you detail is irrelevant with this coach since it boils down to him refusing to look inward.

Purdue in what was supposed to be a down year won a Big Ten and Big Ten tournament title, yesterday was an embarrassment but the season was a good one. Painter did a great job but unfortunately March matters, time to figure out how to change things to make sure these terrible loses don’t happen again. Roster decisions will be interesting to monitor the next few weeks or so, guessing a player or two not figuring in on Edey leaves, guessing we’ll see at least 1 portal player added, Mulcahy if he wants to play his last season elsewhere would be a heckuve add, kid adds toughness and would help the roster.

1. Play a faster pace on offense that emphasizes getting early shots/offense off transition. 4 of the 5 players on the floor should have a green light to shoot threes if a look is there and within flow of this transition framework. If guys can't shoot, they shouldn't be getting PT or on the roster regardless of what else they bring.
2. Have multiple guys on the roster who can create off the dribble, shoot competently (ideally 35% or better from the 3 point line) and most importantly have the mental fortitude to keep shooting in rhythm even when shots aren't falling.
3. When setting up in halfcourt, stop making the entire offense about "lumbering big getting paint touches" crap. Play more pick and roll with the big and be able to do that with different guards/wings.
4. Recruit players who play with an edge. Some may call it dirty but I want guys who set a tone.
5. Have a zone defense as an option as a changeup in certain situations/defensive possessions. (I as others, have been bringing this up for years)

Just a few of my thoughts. Ultimately, I don't hold out much hope that Painter will change his ways as I see a lot of the same things happening that have caused flameouts in the past.

1. Play a faster pace on offense that emphasizes getting early shots/offense off transition. 4 of the 5 players on the floor should have a green light to shoot threes if a look is there and within flow of this transition framework. If guys can't shoot, they shouldn't be getting PT or on the roster regardless of what else they bring.
2. Have multiple guys on the roster who can create off the dribble, shoot competently (ideally 35% or better from the 3 point line) and most importantly have the mental fortitude to keep shooting in rhythm even when shots aren't falling.
3. When setting up in halfcourt, stop making the entire offense about "lumbering big getting paint touches" crap. Play more pick and roll with the big and be able to do that with different guards/wings.
4. Recruit players who play with an edge. Some may call it dirty but I want guys who set a tone.
5. Have a zone defense as an option as a changeup in certain situations/defensive possessions. (I as others, have been bringing this up for years)

Just a few of my thoughts. Ultimately, I don't hold out much hope that Painter will change his ways as I see a lot of the same things happening that have caused flameouts in the past.
Lots of arm chair coaches saying what Painter Should do.
Guess what.? He’s gonna do what he’s always done.
It’s been 18 years. He’s not changing now.

Well since you asked (and I agree he will be back next year) here is my list:

1) Fire the offensive coordinator: Guards did not improve at all as the season went on. Find someone with NBA experience (ala Micha) and back the Brinks truck up to them (2.0M per year with at least 2 years guaranteed). Get someone who can have a plan B on offense!

2) Fire defensive coordinator: Hire someone to teach ZONE so you don't have your 7'5 monster guarding a 6'4 dude on the perimeter!!!! Painter has said he sucks at teaching zone so FIND SOMEONE WHO CAN and Painter teach the man to man.

3) Get Loyer some roids and beef him up for next year

4) Tell Moron and Furst that if they want to play a lot next year they should look to other teams: Morton is basically a worse version of Eastern most nights. Furst has no toughness, is slow and can't shoot. Give Morton's minutes to Colvin and Furst's minutes to that Minn kid who redshirted. At least there will be more athletisism albeit raw.

5) Fire the sports phycologist and get a new one

6) Go and PAY for a high level 1 or 2 guard in the portal!!!!

7) Beg Edey and Newman to come back (Yeah I said Newman; if he keeps building on his end of year he will be a really good player next year)

Maybe all of this is rearranging the deck chairs on the Titanic? IDK. But if Painter is back next year SIGNIFICANT other changes need to occur.

Reactions: Boiler8285
This thread is not for arguing whether he SHOULD be fired. Fact is he won’t. With that a given, what should be done to make the team better in the tourney in:

recruiting
game management
strategy ( zone etc.)
whatever else you got.

For this thread firing Painter is not an option because it won’t happen, argue that in many other threads. So what can be done to elevate this team with him?
Understand why players who came in recognized as great shooters suddenly become visibly afraid to shoot and miss open looks. What causes that change in multiple players and how do you fix it?

Understand why players who came in recognized as great shooters suddenly become visibly afraid to shoot and miss open looks. What causes that change in multiple players and how do you fix it?
It’s a reflection of the coach, the style, and the fact that everyone knows — consciously and unconsciously —Purdue’s tournament history of pathetic shortcomings.

Have to change at the top.

Purdue in what was supposed to be a down year won a Big Ten and Big Ten tournament title, yesterday was an embarrassment but the season was a good one. Painter did a great job but unfortunately March matters, time to figure out how to change things to make sure these terrible loses don’t happen again. Roster decisions will be interesting to monitor the next few weeks or so, guessing a player or two not figuring in on Edey leaves, guessing we’ll see at least 1 portal player added, Mulcahy if he wants to play his last season elsewhere would be a heckuve add, kid adds toughness and would help the roster.
Mulcahy is not the type of player (athlete) that is needed for the team to improve.

I think we all agree the overall recruiting is much better than it was 5-10 years ago. The overall trajectory of the program is trending up. Most frustrating thing for me is the lack of development across the roster. The coaching staff has clearly demonstrated that they can develop post players. No doubt about it. What about everyone else though? Is this how it goes for all D1 programs or is this a Purdue thing?

Morton/Gillis/Newman have all had TONS of minutes over the past years to develop and they were needed big time this year and they didn't meet expectations. We could go back to last year and add Sasha/Hunter/IT to this list as well, none of the players ever developed as expected, IMO

Furst has had less time than the others noted above but does anyone have high hopes for him now after 2 years of heavy playing time? I do not. Everyone was excited for his recruitment but he's not living up to the hype.

I don't know. They did well to land Ivey and he blew up but I'm wondering if CMP is focusing too much on high floor/low ceiling type players. Of course, no one can predict the future and no one really knows how players will develop but the loss to FDU last night seemed like it was due to coaching and the shortcomings of the roster. The Frosh guards got exposed but the rest of the roster provided zero impact. Kind of mind-blowing if you think of it.

Reactions: Boiler8285
I think we all agree the overall recruiting is much better than it was 5-10 years ago. The overall trajectory of the program is trending up. Most frustrating thing for me is the lack of development across the roster. The coaching staff has clearly demonstrated that they can develop post players. No doubt about it. What about everyone else though? Is this how it goes for all D1 programs or is this a Purdue thing?

Morton/Gillis/Newman have all had TONS of minutes over the past years to develop and they were needed big time this year and they didn't meet expectations. We could go back to last year and add Sasha/Hunter/IT to this list as well, none of the players ever developed as expected, IMO

Furst has had less time than the others noted above but does anyone have high hopes for him now after 2 years of heavy playing time? I do not. Everyone was excited for his recruitment but he's not living up to the hype.

I don't know. They did well to land Ivey and he blew up but I'm wondering if CMP is focusing too much on high floor/low ceiling type players. Of course, no one can predict the future and no one really knows how players will develop but the loss to FDU last night seemed like it was due to coaching and the shortcomings of the roster. The Frosh guards got exposed but the rest of the roster provided zero impact. Kind of mind-blowing if you think of it.
Maybe it's the way Paint has utilized him. Do you ever notice we use Furst and TKR mostly with back to basket. Maybe Paint needs to spread them out and see if they are athletic enough to shoot beyond 10-15 feet.

I still believe in Fletch, but Smith still made the same mistakes all year. He never seemed to learn from his mistakes and Morton just isn't good and should transfer with the addition of Heide and Colvin

Reactions: ChoiceBeef
Develop the freshman guards. I think people are forgetting that we were relying on freshman who almost always hit a wall. They played very well throughout the season but it seems they’ve hit a wall since the first Iu game. They have a promising career

Reactions: Schnelk
1. Game style - the lineup configuration to win the BIG is different than the one to win in March. Need to stop this slow plodding toss to a big crap and get guards who can drive and back a defender down to get a bucket.

2. Training/conditioning - outside of Edey, most of this team looked gassed the last few weeks. Do we need to taper these dudes or change their diet or conditioning so they peak in March instead of December.

3. Loyalty - college is preparing you for the real world and guess what the real world is ruthless. Loyer should have lost his starting roll 4-6 weeks back but Painter is too nice to do that and hurt feelings.

4. Get weird - have an arsenal of things you test and play with all season long - zone, press, switches etc. You want the FDU’s of the world to think they have you figured out until you flip the damn board to something totally different.

5. Ball handlers - stop recruiting dudes who can’t dribble a basketball. Want to know why TJD’s stock is rising without proving he can shoot a jumper? He can dribble and initiate the offense and create for his team.

6. Listen to people on the internet. He was cute when he trolled us after the Illinois game but who is standing tall laughing now?

1. Game style - the lineup configuration to win the BIG is different than the one to win in March. Need to stop this slow plodding toss to a big crap and get guards who can drive and back a defender down to get a bucket.

2. Training/conditioning - outside of Edey, most of this team looked gassed the last few weeks. Do we need to taper these dudes or change their diet or conditioning so they peak in March instead of December.

3. Loyalty - college is preparing you for the real world and guess what the real world is ruthless. Loyer should have lost his starting roll 4-6 weeks back but Painter is too nice to do that and hurt feelings.

4. Get weird - have an arsenal of things you test and play with all season long - zone, press, switches etc. You want the FDU’s of the world to think they have you figured out until you flip the damn board to something totally different.

5. Ball handlers - stop recruiting dudes who can’t dribble a basketball. Want to know why TJD’s stock is rising without proving he can shoot a jumper? He can dribble and initiate the offense and create for his team.

6. Listen to people on the internet. He was cute when he trolled us after the Illinois game but who is standing tall laughing now?
preach.gif

100%

It’s a reflection of the coach, the style, and the fact that everyone knows — consciously and unconsciously —Purdue’s tournament history of pathetic shortcomings.

Have to change at the top.
It didn't start at the tournament. And not hitting a wide open shot has nothing to do with style. If you are open, make the shot. But good shooters aren't hitting their shots. If they fix it, they win a NC. How and why did it get broken?

It didn't start at the tournament. And not hitting a wide open shot has nothing to do with style. If you are open, make the shot. But good shooters aren't hitting their shots. If they fix it, they win a NC. How and why did it get broken?
Soft players. You could see it during the game. Also, did you notice when we pushed the ball we got points. I didn't understand why we kept slowing the tempo. Adjust and get Zach out and run the court.

I think game style is important. The past 2 seasons Purdue is winning in the non-conference by sharing the basketball and running their motion sets. The big guys still eat, but everyone is involved and as a result play better.

Once the B1G roles around they revert to throwing it in the post over and over, or watching Ivey iso ball. The offense becomes dependent on 1 or 2 guys. It's really predictable and easy to defend.

I think game style is important. The past 2 seasons Purdue is winning in the non-conference by sharing the basketball and running their motion sets. The big guys still eat, but everyone is involved and as a result play better.

Once the B1G roles around they revert to throwing it in the post over and over, or watching Ivey iso ball. The offense becomes dependent on 1 or 2 guys. It's really predictable and easy to defend.
The fact he refuses to return to the style that beat Gonzaga and Duke is dumbfounding. Just remember he trolled us Internet warriors when we be Illinois to win the B1G because we are Internet warriors. P

The AD, if he really cares, will quietly make CMP hire a new assistant coach to make in game adjustments. Edey did not score in the last 13 minutes of the game. How do you not take advantage of the mismatch?

As POY at 7-4, playing the smallest tournament team, CMP needs to double down on that advantage. Perhaps an Asst with responsibility with play calls might be a solution?

recruiting
game management
strategy ( zone etc.)
whatever else you got.

More NIL money, then use that NIL money to buy difference makers like Nijel Pack in the portal.

Soft players. You could see it during the game. Also, did you notice when we pushed the ball we got points. I didn't understand why we kept slowing the tempo. Adjust and get Zach out and run the court.
Lack of toughness -- that's what I saw, too. Rutgers exposed us again this year, like they did last year. Every other opponent took note. So how can it be fixed? Will they be tougher a year later, having gone through the wars?

Yes, but we don't have any athlete's off ball or even on ball to make shots. We didn't even throw the ball in the post for the last 12 minutes of the game. This team isn't built to create their own shot.

Reactions: New Pal Boiler
The AD, if he really cares, will quietly make CMP hire a new assistant coach to make in game adjustments. Edey did not score in the last 13 minutes of the game. How do you not take advantage of the mismatch?

As POY at 7-4, playing the smallest tournament team, CMP needs to double down on that advantage. Perhaps an Asst with responsibility with play calls might be a solution?
What does this say about the basketball IQ of your team if they have to have the coach tell them to "throw it into the really big guy in the middle"? Not saying CMP shouldn't remind them during the game. But, how does the team every get away from throwing it into the guy who can go for 30 points if you just throw him the damn ball? I wouldn't think smart basketball players would have to be told that more than once.

Reactions: BigRog89
Lack of toughness -- that's what I saw, too. Rutgers exposed us again this year, like they did last year. Every other opponent took note. So how can it be fixed? Will they be tougher a year later, having gone through the wars?
I do think they get tougher as they're very young. We need to hit the portal with tough, quick and gritty guards. If, Zach comes back. Painter will need to get 2-3 guys like this. Imagine him having the necessary help on the weak or strong side.

Age and toughness can win championships.

Reactions: New Pal Boiler

It is so odd that Purdont has always been trying to adapt to what bad teams are going to do instead of dominating them. The #1 seed should never be scared of utilizing the NPOY against a #16 seed. Why did Painter will this to fruition? It's a legitimate question.

What does this say about the basketball IQ of your team if they have to have the coach tell them to "throw it into the really big guy in the middle"? Not saying CMP shouldn't remind them during the game. But, how does the team every get away from throwing it into the guy who can go for 30 points if you just throw him the damn ball? I wouldn't think smart basketball players would have to be told that more than once.
What is Painter's style? Is it "we do this" or does he allow the players to make decisions? If you are telling me that he allows freedom of decision on the court, then yes, Purdue should look at recruiting higher bball IQ players. I mean, it's not like you are going to miss the 7-4 guy standing near the basket. That one is bewildering.

What is Painter's style? Is it "we do this" or does he allow the players to make decisions? If you are telling me that he allows freedom of decision on the court, then yes, Purdue should look at recruiting higher bball IQ players. I mean, it's not like you are going to miss the 7-4 guy standing near the basket. That one is bewildering.
No, his players don't have the freedoms most think. These are his drawn plays. I said this was a problem 6-7 years ago. I had a feeling it could hurt us in recruiting the guard position....it has.

Here is an idea. Find out who the athletic guards are that low majors and mid majors are recruiting. Go after them (why would they turn a power-5 down) and all of a sudden you are more athletic than our current guards and we can play "small ball" vs them and can break a press easier.

Players being scared to shoot when you’re wide open in a big moment means you have no cold blooded killers. They’re all afraid to miss. Kind of like our admin’s afraid to make a change.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT