ADVERTISEMENT

OT!!!: IU grabs mediocrity from the portal

Do Dah Day

All-American
Nov 8, 2015
“NEWS: Stanford transfer Kanaan Carlyle, a top-10 player in the portal, has committed to Indiana, @On3sports has learned. The 6-3 freshman guard averaged 11.5 PPG this season.

During his first season in college basketball, Carlyle shot just 38.6 percent from the field and 32.0 percent from behind the arc. He also converted only 77.6 percent of his attempts from the free throw line.

“NEWS: Stanford transfer Kanaan Carlyle, a top-10 player in the portal, has committed to Indiana, @On3sports has learned. The 6-3 freshman guard averaged 11.5 PPG this season.

During his first season in college basketball, Carlyle shot just 38.6 percent from the field and 32.0 percent from behind the arc. He also converted only 77.6 percent of his attempts from the free throw line.
I mean frosh Loyer shot 36.7 from the field, 32.6 from three and averaged 11 a game and 79 percent from the FT line.

Kinda dang near identical stats aren't they?

Not terrible numbers for a freshman but not great either. The worst of all is his overall shooting percentage.

His stats are very comparable to Loyer’s freshman stats. But since he’s going to that other school he must be bad. If he were coming here certain posters would claim he would challenge Loyer for a starting position . I always love how Purdue posters praise players coming to Purdue, but should they go elsewhere, they find fault in their game.

The cowabunga kid would have been awesome if he came to Purdue. And so would Katy Perry’s brother. But since one is going to Kansas and the other is going to Kentucky, they are suddenly not so good.

I mean frosh Loyer shot 36.7 from the field, 32.6 from three and averaged 11 a game and 79 percent from the FT line.

A bit more athletic than Loyer so it's promising. Has a long way to go to being part of a winning team. Improved shooting numbers and the biggest things is defense. But Indiana added the Pac-12 freshman of the year and 1st team all Pac-12 vin Myles Rice(who is just a great story anyways, and technically a senior in college, Sophomore in playing). Added another Pac-12 1st teamed in Ballo and Carlyle who was honorable mention for Pac-12 freshman 1st team. It'll be an interesting year in Bloomington(and the entire Big Ten for that matter). Woodson is either going to save his job for a couple years and going golfing a lot more.

A bit more athletic than Loyer so it's promising. Has a long way to go to being part of a winning team. Improved shooting numbers and the biggest things is defense. But Indiana added the Pac-12 freshman of the year and 1st team all Pac-12 vin Myles Rice(who is just a great story anyways, and technically a senior in college, Sophomore in playing). Added another Pac-12 1st teamed in Ballo and Carlyle who was honorable mention for Pac-12 freshman 1st team. It'll be an interesting year in Bloomington(and the entire Big Ten for that matter). Woodson is either going to save his job for a couple years and going golfing a lot more.
$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

His stats are very comparable to Loyer’s freshman stats. But since he’s going to that other school he must be bad. If he were coming here certain posters would claim he would challenge Loyer for a starting position . I always love how Purdue posters praise players coming to Purdue, but should they go elsewhere, they find fault in their game.

The cowabunga kid would have been awesome if he came to Purdue. And so would Katy Perry’s brother. But since one is going to Kansas and the other is going to Kentucky, they are suddenly not so good.
No, Wole. It’s because Woodson and staff have shown they don’t develop an outside shot for guards and their system has not produced very many outside shots for a game that a lot rely on the 3 ball. IU has been near dead last the last 2 years in shooting the 3. This can Maybe work if you are really good in defense, rebound the ball and slow the tempo. IU hasn’t done those things.

Maybe Woodson and staff switch the offense up. But right now, they don’t have a very good 3pt shooting team. Them collecting guards from the PAC 12 that went a combined 7-60 from 3 in February until the end of the year in what makes you scratch your head. They haven’t addressed their biggest hole—shooting the 3. They now have 10 guys…4 they have recruited over. I assume they had a shooter or 2 and a big….but not sure how playing time will impact all their stars they have collected.

Reactions: BBG
So I posted this elsewhere but IU now has the following:

Rice
Carlyle
Mgbako
Reneau
Ballo
Tucker
Galloway
Cupps
Leal
Newton

That’s 10 guys already and I would assume they’re looking to add at least one shooter and a big.

Besides the fact that Mbgako is slow and will have a tough time guarding the 3, is IU going to have to tell the 5 star Frosh they paid big money for, to come off the bench or one of the guards they just paid big money for to come off the bench. wonder if anyone will get upset over that?

Still don’t see how Ballo and Reneau fit unless Malik can develop a consistent outside jumper that’s worth going out to guard. Ballo has no such skill in that department and while athletic, is slow to guard the PnR. Good rebounder, due to being bigger than everyone (we ve benefited from that), but awful FT shooter. I feel he clogs the lane for Reneau and others.

So, if you play those first 6 I listed, you’re probably going to play Galloway, a big and a shooter next in the lineup. Which means Gallo is your 7th-9th guy off the bench with reduced mins. Cupps probably sees way less mins than last year being the 10th man and Leal will barely sniff the floor, barring injury. The 3 guys who showed loyalty and stayed at IU, get recruited over and pushed down in the lineup and minutes reduced. That’s pretty $hitty if you ask me.

That also doesn’t even include Newton…not sure how he fits into the lineup.

I guess from IU’s perspective it’s a good problem to have? But Not sure as a HS receuit, why you’d want to go there, stay and develop at IU if they are just going to recruit over you. But hey, this is the most talented team (star wise) IU has had for quite some time so (as you said) no excuses this year….if they don’t win the conference and make it out of the first weekend….id assume that be an epic fail with all the money shelled out to buy this team.

I guess it would have to come down to teams defensive efficiency per their schedule. I'm not sure what that might look like, but I would assume the B1G would be better...right?? Could be totally wrong.

No, Wole. It’s because Woodson and staff have shown they don’t develop an outside shot for guards and their system has not produced very many outside shots for a game that a lot rely on the 3 ball. IU has been near dead last the last 2 years in shooting the 3. This can Maybe work if you are really good in defense, rebound the ball and slow the tempo. IU hasn’t done those things.

Maybe Woodson and staff switch the offense up. But right now, they don’t have a very good 3pt shooting team. Them collecting guards from the PAC 12 that went a combined 7-60 from 3 in February until the end of the year in what makes you scratch your head. They haven’t addressed their biggest hole—shooting the 3. They now have 10 guys…4 they have recruited over. I assume they had a shooter or 2 and a big….but not sure how playing time will impact all their stars they have collected.
I have to side with Wole on this one. The OP is attacking the kid's ability by posting his stats from a different school and calling him mediocre. It's fair to say that you don't believe Woody will improve his game (I agree), but that wasn't the point of the OP.
And if he transferred here, and bone called him mediocre, some people here would lose their minds.

Reactions: Wolegib
From my vantage point, which isn’t the most informed, it seems like they’ve got a lot of talent, but questionable roster construction. This might be a case where the whole is less than the sum of the parts, but I think that the talent is good enough that they’ll get back to the right side of the bubble.

Purdue, on the other hand, has a lot of unproven parts, but a well constructed roster and a coach who will get the most out of it. I will be surprised if they don’t finish higher in the Big Ten standings than the Hoosiers, once again.

“ a little more athletic than Loyer “ . Wow just about everyone is more athletic, and 77% from the line is really good and the other numbers will increase when shot selection gets better. Looks like a good fine. We just need our players to get better over the summer and hit the weight room

I never said he would get better at IU. I just said his stats were very similar to those posted by Loyer. And if he were coming to Purdue as a transfer there would be a lot of praise for by certain posters here. But since he is going to IU, those same posters trash him, find faults in his game and call him less than mediocre! Obviously he must be terrible since he chose to go to IU. The center who chose IU is probably better than any Purdue will have next year, but he’s bad too. if you read the posts here by certain posters, everyone that goes to IU must be bad. The lack of objectivity of some posters here who claim to be knowledgeable is obvious!

IU likely is a 8-9 seed in the tourney, with a salary cap that looks to be about $7 million so far they better be better than that. Problem is, guys are going to want there’s, will they buy in? No doubt, really good hall so far for IU.

There's to many variables to know what they're actually bringing in but what we do know is Woodson has had talent with 1 NCAA tournament victory to show for it. He lacks knowledge of college basketball, construction of a team, and roster management.

Spend all the money you want, get all the talent you think, but I don't trust Woodson as a coach. IMO

IU likely is a 8-9 seed in the tourney, with a salary cap that looks to be about $7 million so far they better be better than that. Problem is, guys are going to want there’s, will they buy in? No doubt, really good hall so far for IU.
Yep, iu success or lack there of will not be based on the on paper talent level of the individual parts of the team. They should have plenty of talent on the court. Their success will be a correlation to the effectiveness of roster construction, coaching up a cohesive team and player development and motivation to play together as a team.

It might depend on how healthy his team is as they will be very thin in the front court unless they can add some more portal guys. Rice was horrible down the stretch and Pac only has first team all conference (10 players) and a slightly smaller conference, rice would have likely been third team all big ten. He also played for conference coach of the year.

I’m not suggesting indiana won’t be better, but they picked up big names and not complimentary players. Biggest weakness was shooting and they didn’t get shooters. And they played well with ware who could open the lane and drop 3s, and now they have a lane stuffer who typically does not do well with guard who drive or a large forward like Renau. They also are horrible against the zone and you best that with good shooters which they downgraded. Lots of talent I just don’t see them playing as an elite team. My moneys on woodson will be seen at the Pfau golf course next year.

Reactions: Do Dah Day
So I posted this elsewhere but IU now has the following:

Rice
Carlyle
Mgbako
Reneau
Ballo
Tucker
Galloway
Cupps
Leal
Newton

That’s 10 guys already and I would assume they’re looking to add at least one shooter and a big.

Besides the fact that Mbgako is slow and will have a tough time guarding the 3, is IU going to have to tell the 5 star Frosh they paid big money for, to come off the bench or one of the guards they just paid big money for to come off the bench. wonder if anyone will get upset over that?

Still don’t see how Ballo and Reneau fit unless Malik can develop a consistent outside jumper that’s worth going out to guard. Ballo has no such skill in that department and while athletic, is slow to guard the PnR. Good rebounder, due to being bigger than everyone (we ve benefited from that), but awful FT shooter. I feel he clogs the lane for Reneau and others.

So, if you play those first 6 I listed, you’re probably going to play Galloway, a big and a shooter next in the lineup. Which means Gallo is your 7th-9th guy off the bench with reduced mins. Cupps probably sees way less mins than last year being the 10th man and Leal will barely sniff the floor, barring injury. The 3 guys who showed loyalty and stayed at IU, get recruited over and pushed down in the lineup and minutes reduced. That’s pretty $hitty if you ask me.

That also doesn’t even include Newton…not sure how he fits into the lineup.

I guess from IU’s perspective it’s a good problem to have? But Not sure as a HS receuit, why you’d want to go there, stay and develop at IU if they are just going to recruit over you. But hey, this is the most talented team (star wise) IU has had for quite some time so (as you said) no excuses this year….if they don’t win the conference and make it out of the first weekend….id assume that be an epic fail with all the money shelled out to buy this team.
If I were taking a guess now....
Starters: Rice, Carlyle, Mgbako, Reneau, Ballo
Bench: Galloway, Tucker, Leal, Newton, Cupps

They'll be looking to add another wing and big man. Not sure what else will happen. It's hard to put a ton of faith into Newton because he has t played in a couple years, but Rice also hadn't played a game in 2 years dealing with cancer and won Pac-12 FOY. It'll be a lot of work for Woody(which I have little faith in, if any at all). If you're a HS recruit... I don't know. Getting paid I guess. Duke, Kentucky, Kansas, UNC and others have 5 star kids who stay around and grow into a role but those programs win sooo... Start winning and coming off the bench isn't so bad when you're still getting paid. I'm not expecting much out of this team. Not because of the roster getting put together, but because of the man coaching the roster. Woodson will be the biggest obstacle. He's the "hump" they have to get over.

I never said he would get better at IU. I just said his stats were very similar to those posted by Loyer. And if he were coming to Purdue as a transfer there would be a lot of praise for by certain posters here. But since he is going to IU, those same posters trash him, find faults in his game and call him less than mediocre! Obviously he must be terrible since he chose to go to IU. The center who chose IU is probably better than any Purdue will have next year, but he’s bad too. if you read the posts here by certain posters, everyone that goes to IU must be bad. The lack of objectivity of some posters here who claim to be knowledgeable is obvious!
Most Purdue fans look at Ballo based on the two matchups with Purdue, and Edey ate him alive. Ballo looks the part, but as IU fans say, he has few skills, except dunking, but to satisfy IU fans he will need to work on his FLEXING! As far as what Purdue has at center, I would be cautious, Painter has a habit of finding hidden gems and making All Americans out of them!

Most Purdue fans look at Ballo based on the two matchups with Purdue, and Edey ate him alive. Ballo looks the part, but as IU fans say, he has few skills, except dunking, but to satisfy IU fans he will need to work on his FLEXING! As far as what Purdue has at center, I would be cautious, Painter has a habit of finding hidden gems and making All Americans out of them!
I mean Edey was a hidden gem big man... But what other center has painter turned into an All-American out of thin air?

And I wouldn't say Edey "ate him alive." He had 22 and 9. It was Loyer and Smith combing for almost 60 that beat Zona.

Reactions: BTBall
I mean Edey was a hidden gem big man... But what other center has painter turned into an All-American out of thin air?

And I wouldn't say Edey "ate him alive." He had 22 and 9. It was Loyer and Smith combing for almost 60 that beat Zona.
Issac Haus was another one, Berg will probably be another. AJ Hammons, Jujuan Johnson. Even though those 2 were pretty high ranked. Purdue is excellent with player development and it will continue to be that way.

Reactions: drewjin
Issac Haus was another one, Berg will probably be another. AJ Hammons, Jujuan Johnson. Even though those 2 were pretty high ranked. Purdue is excellent with player development and it will continue to be that way.
Isaac Haas was never an All-American.
Jajuan Johnson was a top 50 recruit and an AA as a senior.
AJ Hammons was disappointing and never an All-American.

Reactions: Vern Pain
Isaac Haas was never an All-American.
Jajuan Johnson was a top 50 recruit and an AA as a senior.
AJ Hammons was disappointing and never an All-American.
Just about every team in the country would have taken any of them later in their career. Watch next year and you will see talent development. Painter does it over and over.

Ballo was a non factor in the 2nd half and only had 6 total rebounds—last one came in under a minute and last time he scored was at the 10:30 mark….good thing he won’t see edey again.

Both Indiana kids are covid year kids and one will be 7th man and the other probably won’t see the floor
Wonder why the University of Indinia can't recruit kids from Indiana, especially now that they can throw money at them.

Maybe one of our clownpants visitors can explain it.

Wonder why the University of Indinia can't recruit kids from Indiana, especially now that they can throw money at them.

Woodson just refuses to recruit Indiana kids. Let essegian go to Nebraska and Conwell to Xavier. Why does Woodson hate Indiana?

Just about every team in the country would have taken any of them later in their career. Watch next year and you will see talent development. Painter does it over and over.
I'm not saying they weren't good. They just weren't All-Americans.

Don't need home State kids to win. Just need coaching.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT