ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Iowa DT Brady Reiff calls Uber...climbs into a cop car instead.

Jack_Ripper

Redshirt Freshman
Aug 10, 2011
Northeast Indiana
At least he was being responsible...

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...or-uber/?noredirect=on&utm_term=.c98ed981bbbe

For the paywall...

A University of Iowa football player was arrested early Saturday morning after police said he drunkenly mistook one of their cruisers for an Uber car. Hawkeyes Coach Kirk Ferentz subsequently suspended defensive tackle Brady Reiff for the team’s season opener against Northern Illinois.

“I’m not pleased about what we learned about Brady Reiff this weekend,” Ferentz said Monday at a Big Ten media days session (via ESPN). “Had a chance to visit with him today. He’s going to go through a couple steps but . . . he will be suspended for the first game, among some other activities.”

According to a university police report, per the Gazette, the 22-year-old redshirt junior approached the police car at around 2 a.m. in Iowa City. He was reported to have first tried to open the passenger door, then, after seeing someone sitting there, went for a back door.

When officers asked what he was doing, they said Reiff replied that he was trying to get a ride home. “He thought that was our job,” police said in their report.

Reiff was asked if he thought the vehicle was an Uber car, and he was said to have responded, “Yes.”

A breathalyzer test revealed a blood alcohol content level of .204, well over the legal limit for drivers, and he was charged with public intoxication. The arrest took place at 2:44 a.m., and Reiff was released from Johnson County Jail later Saturday morning.

“Brady is subject to the rules and regulations of the UI Student-Athlete Code of Conduct and the rules and regulations of coach Kirk Ferentz and his program,” Iowa Director of Athletics Gary Barta said in a statement (via wcfcourier.com).

Reiff recorded 13 tackles, with one for a loss and one sack, plus an interception for Iowa last season. A 2017 academic all-Big Ten selection, he is the younger brother of Minnesota Vikings offensive lineman Riley Reiff, a former star at Iowa.

WL were always shitbags but I never had problems with Purdue police. Freshman year my buddy got stopped a few hundred yards from his dorm walking home drunk as piss. Cops ask for ID and he drunkenly dumps all his credit cards on the ground. Cop laughed, checked him out, made sure he knew where he was going and sent him home. The Purdue police were always laughing and enjoying the breakfast club madness too. If you're not having fun at work, get a different job

Reactions: goboilers2
Should he have been drinking to that extent, no, but per the story it appears he was doing the prudent thing and getting a ride home, instead of trying to drive home. I recall many a fraternity brother catching a ride home from a party with the campus police at Tri-State.

Open container is one of the most pointless laws on the books. It's a "feel good" law. Either you're OWI or you're not.

So, a passenger has an open container in your vehicle, who suggest both should be given OWI?

Generally, you can't walk on the street or public transportation with an open container. It applies to your private vehicle, as well.

Even, the sidewalk in front ....

Reactions: TrekMurray
So, a passenger has an open container in your vehicle, who suggest both should be given OWI?

Generally, you can't walk on the street or public transportation with an open container. It applies to your private vehicle, as well.

Even, the sidewalk in front ....

You missed my point.

The open container law is pointless, with respect to addressing OWI.

An open container in a vehicle does not necessarily equate to public consumption. It's just an open container.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT