ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Did FSU get hosed?

Is it now just about who presents the best watch for the TV market, is that was did in FSU?

• Yes. Biggest screw job since Madonna did Fleet week in New York.

Votes: 17 53.1%
  • No. You have to put the best show out there, and without their QB they wouldn't have been.

Votes: 12 37.5%
  • Don't forget Georgia...Sherman left less scorched earth than the comittee did.

Votes: 3 9.4%

• Total voters

Tommaker

Senior
Dec 11, 2002
Bama most likely took their slot. Should they have? Is there a conscious effort to not have more than 1 school from a conference, and if this was next year with Texas in the SEC does FSU get the nod?

It kinda is the same argument as for the men's basketball tournament when the star player gets hurt just before the selection. Are you selecting the best teams in the nation at that time, or are you selecting the teams that did the best job over the course if the season.

Personally, I go with the latter, and thus yes, FSU got royally screwed.

Reactions: SKYDOG
ESPN wanted Alabama and the NCAA caved in to their wishes!

The NCAA used the excuse that FSU would be without their starting QB. And thus would not be at their best. They won their last two games without him.

What is not being said is that many bowl teams have been without their key players for the last 5 years and they were still selected! Purdue was without its starting QB last year. Many other All Americans also skipped out of bowl games! The Oregon St starting QB. Will not be playing against Notre Dame!

The NCAA can hide behind its criteria clause. But the facts remain they will allow other schools to play without their key players!

ESPN wanted Alabama and $$$$$$$$$ talks! Rather than having integrity and ethics, the NCAA caved in and provided ESPN. What it wanted!

FSU should have known that the NCAA would bow down to $$$$$$$.

ESPN wanted Alabama and the NCAA caved in to their wishes!

The NCAA used the excuse that FSU would be without their starting QB. And thus would not be at their best. They won their last two games without him.

What is not being said is that many bowl teams have been without their key players for the last 5 years and they were still selected! Purdue was without its starting QB last year. Many other All Americans also skipped out of bowl games! The Oregon St starting QB. Will not be playing against Notre Dame!

The NCAA can hide behind its criteria clause. But the facts remain they will allow other schools to play without their key players!

ESPN wanted Alabama and $$$$$$$$$ talks! Rather than having integrity and ethics, the NCAA caved in and provided ESPN. What it wanted!

FSU should have known that the NCAA would bow down to $$$$$$$.
NCAA has as much to do with the CFP as you or IU Scott do.

Reactions: pboiler18
FSU should have known before their game even started that they were going to get the shaft. There would never be a football playoff without an SEC team! FSU could have scored 100 points and Alabama would still be selected. The only chance FSU had was to beat out Texas!

I believe if Georgia had won, FSU may have been selected over Texas!

I don’t claim life to be fair. But it is predictable. The playoffs were going to include an SEC team

I don’t have a problem with it. It sucks for them but they don’t have a viable qb to play. This version of the team isn’t top 4.
My point is many other teams including Texas, Alabama, OSU and Michigan will be playing their bowl games without their key players! Yet the NCAA will still select them to play.

FSU played with their third string QB. Their second string QB is supposed to be back in time.

Look at Purdue last year and how many of their key players didn’t play. Yet they were still selected and allowed to play. We all knew Purdue was going to get blown out.

As for FSU, they found a way to win without their starting QB. Maybe their defense could carry them just like Iowa beat Kentucky last year.

But that’s not the type of game ESPN wanted to broadcast. Nobody likes a 10-3 bowl game score. So sorry FSU, ESPN wanted Alabama

I have no idea. I don't know if the quality of Alabamas schedule was better than FSUs. If so, then it's not a screw job. If so, then it might be although you are effectively giving one of the semifinalists an easy button to the finals and that's not fair either.

I have no idea. I don't know if the quality of Alabamas schedule was better than FSUs. If so, then it's not a screw job. If so, then it might be although you are effectively giving one of the semifinalists an easy button to the finals and that's not fair either.
Agree here…and it would have been Michigan.

Which game would you rather see? Who would Michigan rather play? I think that asks and answers the question right there for you as to why what happened, did.

I don’t see an issue with it personally. The committee works for the CFP. The CFP exists to make money and crown the best champion they can. Picking FSU would have done less to meet both objectives.

My point is many other teams including Texas, Alabama, OSU and Michigan will be playing their bowl games without their key players! Yet the NCAA will still select them to play.

FSU played with their third string QB. Their second string QB is supposed to be back in time.

Look at Purdue last year and how many of their key players didn’t play. Yet they were still selected and allowed to play. We all knew Purdue was going to get blown out.

As for FSU, they found a way to win without their starting QB. Maybe their defense could carry them just like Iowa beat Kentucky last year.

But that’s not the type of game ESPN wanted to broadcast. Nobody likes a 10-3 bowl game score. So sorry FSU, ESPN wanted Alabama
You think players on the playoff teams are going to sit out?

Agree here…and it would have been Michigan.

Which game would you rather see? Who would Michigan rather play? I think that asks and answers the question right there for you as to why what happened, did.

I don’t see an issue with it personally. The committee works for the CFP. The CFP exists to make money and crown the best champion they can. Picking FSU would have done less to meet both objectives.
There was a video of the Michigan watch party, and there was a groan when Bama was revealed instead of FSU. Tells you all you need to know.

You think that the committee was going to not get at least one SEC team get in, if at all possible. BT and the SEC are the top 2 Power Conferences.

You think that the committee was going to not get at least one SEC team get in, if at all possible. BT and the SEC are the top 2 Power Conferences.
It’s all about selling tickets and driving eyeballs to the product. They did the right thing for themselves….which is fine with me.

Their show, their rules. FSU gets invited, we talk for a month instead about how and why they didn’t deserve it because they would have gotten smashed. When UGA beats them by 3TDs it all becomes moot.

You think players on the playoff teams are going to sit out?
OSU’ starting Quarterback is not going to play! Is that any different than FSU? A lot of first round draft picks sat out title games! I remember an OSU /Alabama title game where OSU had several starting offensive linemen sit out the game!

OSU’ starting Quarterback is not going to play! Is that any different than FSU? A lot of first round draft picks sat out title games! I remember an OSU /Alabama title game where OSU had several starting offensive linemen sit out the game!
OSU's qb was shown the door and they're not in the playoff.

you have any links to anything about guys sitting out the national championship?

OSU's qb was shown the door and they're not in the playoff.

you have any links to anything about guys sitting out the national championship?
Yes!!!!!!! Look at past history ! There is a lot of evidence right in front of you! I’m old and tired of doing other peoples’ work for you! I already gave you several examples!

The point is that in the past there were many teams in the playoffs and selected for major bowl games With key players injured or who had announced they were not going to play and their teams were still selected to participate in that playoff and bowl game!

It’s also a part of the seeding process for the ncaa basketball tournament! Injuries are a factor when seeding but only for certain teams.

99% of the world knew that the SEC was going to have one of their teams chosen regardless if they were deserving or not. That’s what ESPN wanted. I can’t believe
FSU didn’t read that memo! It’s in the invisible ink in the clause. It’s a given and understood by all logical and intelligent people. It’s like the WWe. We all knew the fix was on!

FSU’s only hope was to beat out Texas, and Texas made sure that didn’t happen by piling on the points, recruiting arch manning on their team and making ESPN like them. Iowa vs Kentucky was a ratings sister last year! Nobody at corporate ESPN wanted a potential repeat of a low scoring defensive struggle!

Yes!!!!!!! Look at past history ! There is a lot of evidence right in front of you! I’m old and tired of doing other peoples’ work for you! I already gave you several examples!

The point is that in the past there were many teams in the playoffs and selected for major bowl games With key players injured or who had announced they were not going to play and their teams were still selected to participate in that playoff and bowl game!

It’s also a part of the seeding process for the ncaa basketball tournament! Injuries are a factor when seeding but only for certain teams.

99% of the world knew that the SEC was going to have one of their teams chosen regardless if they were deserving or not. That’s what ESPN wanted. I can’t believe
FSU didn’t read that memo! It’s in the invisible ink in the clause. It’s a given and understood by all logical and intelligent people. It’s like the WWe. We all knew the fix was on!

FSU’s only hope was to beat out Texas, and Texas made sure that didn’t happen by piling on the points, recruiting arch manning on their team and making ESPN like them. Iowa vs Kentucky was a ratings sister last year! Nobody at corporate ESPN wanted a potential repeat of a low scoring defensive struggle!
Smith-Njigba is the only one I can come up with and he was hurt all year. Seriously who else has opted out of the CFP?

Smith-Njigba is the only one I can come up with and he was hurt all year. Seriously who else has opted out of the CFP?
I guess you forgot the year 2014 when Ohio st won the national championship with its third string Qb! I guess they shouldn’t have played that game because they were obviously a different team without him! There have been many other times Ohio st has played without someone.

• Haha
I guess you forgot the year 2014 when Ohio st won the national championship with its third string Qb! I guess they shouldn’t have played that game because they were obviously a different team without him! There have been many other times Ohio st has played without someone.
2014 was due to injury not opting out (the post you quoted asks who else has opted out of the playoff). Nobody disputes that players from many schools have opted out of bowls, even major bowls, but you said "a lot of first round picks sat out title games" and "SEVERAL OSU lineman sat out a title game against Alabama". Those are very different from top players sitting out a new years day bowl. I know in your mind you have provided evidence, but you have not. You are conflating things in your mind. The good news is now you can ignore all of that and focus on the fact that I have "attacked you" so you can avoid backing up your assertions.

p.s. OSU beat Wisconsin 59-0 in the big ten championship game that year with their 3rd string guy thus providing evidence that they were still deserving. Guessing if FSU had boatraced Louisville by 50 they would be in the playoff.

I said in my original post either due to injury or opting out and it was known before the game and the team was still selected to play! Last year Alabama did not have one of its key receivers metske or something like that for the entire playoffs ? Alabama also had two other key players who did not play in the playoffs last year. Didn’t the honey badger also skip out? Alabama also had their starting RB who had an injury. If you have 30 hours, you can go back in time and find many other examples of players who did not play in championship or big bowl games because of opting out or injury before the bowl selections were made. Levi’s decided to skip last year’s bowl game against Iowa! If you look you can find many more examples! Just look up the injury reports prior to the games.

But it seems like if the injuries or opt outs involve teams like Alabama or the sec champions, The selection committee doesn’t care and looks the other way for their selection!

It’s rather obvious the committee had a dilemma this year. Taking Alabama or FSU. And while FSU proved it could win without its QB, Its offense was no longer scoring s lot of points. And last year’s Iowa game had the lowest ratings ever and ESPn didn’t want a repeat. So to increase their ratings, they chose Alabama. And they are just using the QB’s injury at FSU as an excuse for choosing Alabama over FSU. ESPN wanted an SEC team and wanted a high scoring game and they want to hype the game. And it’s a lot easier to do that with Alabama rather than FSU.

I would expect if Purdue went undefeated and won the BIg 10 and it came down to A decision of Purdue versus an Alabama team with 1-2 losses, Alabama would be selected and the committee would come up with a similar excuse for not selecting Purdue.

And we all know if Iowa had beaten Michigan for the big 10 championship there is no way Iowa would be selected for the playoffs and Ohio st would probably be selected for the best bowl game of any big 10 teams. Iowa is boring. Boring does not sell.

Screw FSU (screw Bama as well) but this is payback for the '93 national championship they were gifted when ND beat them (ND lost a week later on a last second FG to a ranked BC team) but a one loss FSU was voted as national champs over a one loss Notre Dame.

I said in my original post either due to injury or opting out and it was known before the game and the team was still selected to play! Last year Alabama did not have one of its key receivers metske or something like that for the entire playoffs ? Alabama also had two other key players who did not play in the playoffs last year. Didn’t the honey badger also skip out? Alabama also had their starting RB who had an injury. If you have 30 hours, you can go back in time and find many other examples of players who did not play in championship or big bowl games because of opting out or injury before the bowl selections were made. Levi’s decided to skip last year’s bowl game against Iowa! If you look you can find many more examples! Just look up the injury reports prior to the games.

But it seems like if the injuries or opt outs involve teams like Alabama or the sec champions, The selection committee doesn’t care and looks the other way for their selection!

It’s rather obvious the committee had a dilemma this year. Taking Alabama or FSU. And while FSU proved it could win without its QB, Its offense was no longer scoring s lot of points. And last year’s Iowa game had the lowest ratings ever and ESPn didn’t want a repeat. So to increase their ratings, they chose Alabama. And they are just using the QB’s injury at FSU as an excuse for choosing Alabama over FSU. ESPN wanted an SEC team and wanted a high scoring game and they want to hype the game. And it’s a lot easier to do that with Alabama rather than FSU.

I would expect if Purdue went undefeated and won the BIg 10 and it came down to A decision of Purdue versus an Alabama team with 1-2 losses, Alabama would be selected and the committee would come up with a similar excuse for not selecting Purdue.

And we all know if Iowa had beaten Michigan for the big 10 championship there is no way Iowa would be selected for the playoffs and Ohio st would probably be selected for the best bowl game of any big 10 teams. Iowa is boring. Boring does not sell.
LOL you're completely full of shit. I always have just ignored your posts because they're all novels, but now I see that they're all total nonsense as well. I don't know if you're a troll or senile or what, but you have no idea what you're talking about.

LOL you're completely full of shit. I always have just ignored your posts because they're all novels, but now I see that they're in total nonsense as well. I don't know if you're a troll or senile or what, but you have no idea what you're talking about.
So you always ignore my posts but you decide to respond to them? And you say I am the one who who has no clue what I’m talking about?

So you always ignore my posts but you decide to respond to them? And you say I am the one who who has no clue what I’m talking about?
When I shorten my posts, people complain. When I expand them and provide factual details and links people complain my posts are too long.

When I shorten my posts, people complain. When I expand them and provide factual details and links people complain my posts are too long.
This was the first time I ever responded to you, and it was a mistake. There is nothing factual about anything you're saying. You're full of it. I'll go back to ignoring now.

USC’s QB is predicted by many to be the #1 pick in the upcoming draft. He has also said he might return to USC depending on who has the #1 pick! And now he has stated he’s not going to play in the Holiday bowl. But the Holiday Bowl isn’t going to refuse USC from participating in their bowl game because USC’s star QB isn’t going to play.

Can you fill in the blanks?

Earlier today the selection committee said that chose Alabama over fsu because they asked themselves what team they feared playing more? Alabama or FSU? They said they feared playing Alabama more! So they chose Alabama. That committee member was then asked who they feared playing more, Georgia or Texas or Alabama? They actually feared Georgia more . So by their own criteria of what team they feared most, Georgia despite losing to Alabama should have been the logical selection based on their publicly stated selection criteria!

And you say I’m full of BS. ?????

It’s rather obvious ESPN wanted an SEC team to be part of the playoffs. And FSU just wasn’t a ratings darling, so they lost out.

The ratings for last year’s Iowa /Kentucky game are a public record as are the comments about it.

For 5+ years I provided links to my posts to prove the truth of my posts! People didn’t like the truth or my links. Do I stopped providing them. You either believe me or you don’t. And some people place me on ignore simply because my posts are more than two words! I feel sorry for those who lack the ability to be able to read commentary which is more than 2 sentences.

As for Williams , is he going to return to USC or turn pro? He’s decided to skip his team’s bowl game. What does that suggest to you?

This was the first time I ever responded to you, and it was a mistake. There is nothing factual about anything you're saying. You're full of it. I'll go back to ignoring now.
Go ahead ! Make your day! If you ignore me, then don’t respond to this post! And then you can make my day. I provided both facts and insight! If you don’t believe ESPN influenced the selection committee. You probably believe pro wrestling isn’t scripted too! There was a Person arrested today who was accused of being a spy for the past 40 years. Do you truly believe we didn’t know before today? That’s where logic and a little behind the scenes knowledge comes in!

USC’s QB is predicted by many to be the #1 pick in the upcoming draft. He has also said he might return to USC depending on who has the #1 pick! And now he has stated he’s not going to play in the Holiday bowl. But the Holiday Bowl isn’t going to refuse USC from participating in their bowl game because USC’s star QB isn’t going to play.

Can you fill in the blanks?

Earlier today the selection committee said that chose Alabama over fsu because they asked themselves what team they feared playing more? Alabama or FSU? They said they feared playing Alabama more! So they chose Alabama. That committee member was then asked who they feared playing more, Georgia or Texas or Alabama? They actually feared Georgia more . So by their own criteria of what team they feared most, Georgia despite losing to Alabama should have been the logical selection based on their publicly stated selection criteria!

And you say I’m full of BS. ?????

It’s rather obvious ESPN wanted an SEC team to be part of the playoffs. And FSU just wasn’t a ratings darling, so they lost out.

The ratings for last year’s Iowa /Kentucky game are a public record as are the comments about it.

For 5+ years I provided links to my posts to prove the truth of my posts! People didn’t like the truth or my links. Do I stopped providing them. You either believe me or you don’t. And some people place me on ignore simply because my posts are more than two words! I feel sorry for those who lack the ability to be able to read commentary which is more than 2 sentences.

As for Williams , is he going to return to USC or turn pro? He’s decided to skip his team’s bowl game. What does that suggest to you?
For the love of Christ can you please understand the difference between random bowl games and playoffs?? Nobody is altering a lower bowl invite/matchup because of who is or is not playing. Nobody cares. If USC was going to be in the playoff and Williams opted out prior to the decision, the committee would leave them out. But also he WOULD NOT OPT OUT because despite whatever delusions are swirling in your head, very few if any players have ever opted out of the playoff.

There was a Person arrested today who was accused of being a spy for the past 40 years. Do you truly believe we didn’t know before today? That’s where logic and a little behind the scenes knowledge comes in!
You knew about the spy from behind the scenes? Why didn't you speak up?

Seems to be a clear trend regarding your posts, whatever the length.

Screw FSU (screw Bama as well) but this is payback for the '93 national championship they were gifted when ND beat them (ND lost a week later on a last second FG to a ranked BC team) but a one loss FSU was voted as national champs over a one loss Notre Dame.
Ancient sports history.

What really stinks about the bcs playoff is that with just one extra weekend and two extra games, they could have 8 teams instead of 4 in the tournament. I have never understood why the powers didn't do that. Maybe it is too simple or else they didn't want to enhance additional bowl games and make more money.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT