ADVERTISEMENT

One of the best podcasts I've heard re: PU hoops

Why E8? Why not F4 or Runner-up? If you're going to set a floor, why so low?
Good questions. Because this team should make the E8.
Making a FF is hard. Because Loyer, Gillis, TKR, and
Edey (in certain defensive situations) have
limitations. Connecticut and Houston look tough.
Because we haven't made a FF since 1980.

This team looks FF capable, not NC capable in my opinion.
I hope I'm wrong. What do you think?

Take off the PU colored glasses. Anyone other than a Painter fanboy would say that Painters tourney success has been less than impressive. The data proves it.
I'd say it's not been as good as it could be. Depends on what you define as impressive. Making the tournament almost every season for as long as he has is impressive. The single
Elite 8 during that time is not.

The number of Sweet 16s is impressive, the lack of a final four is not.

So the reality is Painter really just needs to make it to one Final Four to cross the line from not impressive to impressive postseason success.

So it's a mixed bag. I don't think that's wearing black and gold glasses nor is it overly negative. He needs a deep run but he only really needs one because of the sustained appearances.

Now, if he loses in the first or second round again this season? Well, that's going to be a hit to his reputation for sure. I would be surprised if he doesn't make at least the Sweet 16 this time, and my reasonable expectation is Elite 8. I think he gets to the Elite 8 and it's definite progress if not slightly underperforming.

Reactions: New Pal Boiler
The FDU "strategy" in the tournament last year was to play drop coverage on all of our perimeter shooters and hope and pray we missed most of our outside shots. That "strategy" worked. We are such a better outside shooting team this time.

One of the guys makes the point that Purdue “doesn’t have a counter move” and “doesn’t have dynamic guards”. I would argue that the second half against Illinois made a great counter-argument against those points. Edey was impactful as always, but Purdue won the game without a post up game down the stretch. The other thing that was abundantly clear was that Braden Smith is one of the most dynamic guards in the country. I’m not saying that Purdue can’t be upset in the tournament, but this team is far more capable of dealing with different styles than last year’s team.
Correct, last year I was hoping they could make a sweet 16 despite the seeding, figured the second round would be a toss up, obviously didn’t see a first round loss coming, as for this year, no way they lose the first game, pretty confident they win game 2, the sweet 16 depending on the opponent could be dicey, if Ky is with the Boilers I hope it’s a final 8 matchup, they’re scary talented.

The FDU "strategy" in the tournament last year was to play drop coverage on all of our perimeter shooters and hope and pray we missed most of our outside shots. That "strategy" worked. We are such a better outside shooting team this time.
Yes, Purdue has 4 guys that can make shots, last year at the end pretty much 2. Braden is a much better shooter, Lance while streaky can get hot, add in Fletch and Gillis.

Good questions. Because this team should make the E8.
Making a FF is hard. Because Loyer, Gillis, TKR, and
Edey (in certain defensive situations) have
limitations. Connecticut and Houston look tough.
Because we haven't made a FF since 1980.

This team looks FF capable, not NC capable in my opinion.
I hope I'm wrong. What do you think?
I'm weird. Anything short of a Natty and I'll be extremely disappointed (that's every year, not just this year). On the otherhand, I won't be calling for Painter’s head or telling him to stop playing through the 5. I think coaching and style of play are perfect. We just need players to play well when it matters most.

Reactions: BoilerDaddy
There are multiple ways to win. I prefer teams full of players
like the Baby Boilers because they can play any style.

No, please do predict the future. How far do we go in March
this year? Elite 8 should be the floor for 2024 Boilers.
The way I see it, Purdue has approximately an 80% chance of making the S16, 60% E8, 40% F4, and 10-15% chance of winning the national championship. That is as close as you’ll get to a prediction from me because I cannot see the future.

As far as ways to win, I think that this team is more versatile than the 2010 team. I loved LewJack, but he wasn’t a shooter and Kramer was unselfish to a fault. I think that’s why they struggled so much when one of the big three went down. Defensively, that team took advantage of the rules at the time and only played aggressive, hard hedging man. There are ways to attack every style including that one. They were excellent on both ends on the court, without a doubt, but they had limitations just like the current team, which I think is Painter’s most versatile team.

What’d FDU take away last year? They steal our 3P shooting or was it actually Purdue beating themselves and not hitting 3s…just like vs Saint Pete or did they take away something too?
FDU swarmed Edey and rolled the dice on our shooters being cold from 3. Hell, the coach even said before the game that’s what his game plan was. It worked perfectly.
Purdue getting beat by low seeds once is an anomaly, 4 times is a trend.

I'm looking at things objectively. You're taking the immature, emotional fanboy approach. Like the 10 year old kid who just can't stand it when things don't go their way.
I know you want to make excuses for Purdue not making deep tourney runs. But, it’s not because we’re the unlikeliest team in the country for the last 40 years.

Yeah couldn’t remember that team as well. Was tough to follow cuz covid was such a weird year for life in general 😂

But yeah, every year is diff. And Purdue did not lose because they shut down the 5 man and then nothing happened. Purdue shot poorly in all 3 of those games. And that was more the reason why they lost. If Purdue shoots their average for 3P% against those 3 teams, they win all 3 and we don’t have this discussion. Those losses had nothing to do with being a post focused team.
In the history of sports, if a team shoots their average or above, they probably win.
Part of shooting below average has to do with the D, nerves, game plan, etc. it’s not just a collective off night for the whole team.

Reactions: BoilerDeac
You just seem like the type that will immediately run here if we lose and say “SEE! TOLD YOU SO!” But also if we get to a F4 you’ll say “ NEVER DOUBTED PAINTER AND THE TEAM FOR A SECOND”
Oh trust me, if they choke again in the 1st or 2nd round, I’ll be voicing my opinions.
If they get to the FF and win a NC, I’ll be here as well. Get used to it.

I know you want to make excuses for Purdue not making deep tourney runs. But, it’s not because we’re the unlikeliest team in the country for the last 40 years.
I haven't said anything about luck in this thread. You, however, continue to prove yourself to be the emotional, little fanboy I explained you to be.

Reactions: boilerzz
Oh trust me, if they choke again in the 1st or 2nd round, I’ll be voicing my opinions.
There are some people here now that might bring up your old tantrums down the road.

In the history of sports, if a team shoots their average or above, they probably win.
Part of shooting below average has to do with the D, nerves, game plan, etc. it’s not just a collective off night for the whole team.
Ah so not just because a team ran their offense through the post though?

FDU swarmed Edey and rolled the dice on our shooters being cold from 3. Hell, the coach even said before the game that’s what his game plan was. It worked perfectly.
Purdue getting beat by low seeds once is an anomaly, 4 times is a trend.
Yup and Zach made correct passes and Purdue missed. They make one of those misses and they win.

I'm weird. Anything short of a Natty and I'll be extremely disappointed (that's every year, not just this year). On the otherhand, I won't be calling for Painter’s head or telling him to stop playing through the 5. I think coaching and style of play are perfect. We just need players to play well when it matters most.
You are entitled to your opinion. I hope the play style you like
delivers us past the Sweet 16 in 2024 because it hasn't in the past
43 years. I want to see Purdue succeed where it matters most, too.
As long as the coach doesn't cheat, I don't care who it is.

Here's to hoping 2024 is the year Purdue makes the Elite 8 (and more)
with feeding the post as option #1 with Zach. I hope this team does it.

You are entitled to your opinion. I hope the play style you like
delivers us past the Sweet 16 in 2024 because it hasn't in the past
43 years. I want to see Purdue succeed where it matters most, too.
As long as the coach doesn't cheat, I don't care who it is.

Here's to hoping 2024 is the year Purdue makes the Elite 8 (and more)
with feeding the post as option #1 with Zach. I hope this team does it.
Yep, we all want the same thing. Just do it!!

• Love
Reactions: collegehoopsfan123
Well that’s fine, but your opinion is just that an opinion, and just because you believe it doesn’t make it correct necessarily. It also doesn’t make someone else’s opinions invalid or wrong. If there are differences then the middle ground likely is closer to actuality. I hope you’ve been able to enjoy the run this team and Painter have provided us as fans this year and the past few years recent successes! Yup definitely been some disappointment but they don’t negate the overall performance and team success. The quality of the players on and off the court is not something other fan bases often can claim. Purdue has a great team culture and develops players on the court and men off the court. You and the rest of us are cheering for our Boilers to win in the tournament and play their best. Boiler Up! 🖤💛🏀 Hammer Down!

Reactions: DwaynePurvis00
There are multiple ways to win. I prefer teams full of players
like the Baby Boilers because they can play any style.

Do you remember how the "versatile" Baby Boilers lost in the 2009 tourney? And to whom? Purdue was pounded 72-60 by a larger, more physical UConn team that played though giant 7'3" Hasheem Thabeet in the post. Our guards weren't shooting particularly well from 3 that game. And our versatile bigs? Hummel, Johnson, and Calasan combined shot 3-12 from 3. Oops.

Last edited:
Do you remember how the "versatile" Baby Boilers lost in the 2008 tourney? And to whom? Purdue was pounded 72-60 by a larger, more physical UConn team that played though giant 7'3" Hasheem Thabeet in the post. Our guards weren't shooting particularly well from 3 that game. And our versatile bigs? Hummel, Johnson, and Calasan combined shot 3-12 from 3. Oops.
That doesn’t fit the narrative for right now tho!

But look at that, an off night shooting…let’s hope that doesn’t happen again

For the record, I think we make the FF and have a decent shot at the NC
That's your personal goal you set for the team? And as usual, if they don't meet your goal, you'll throw a temper tantrum and blame them. And return to calling for Painter to be replaced by Shaka. lol. And you'll probably blame them for somehow misplacing your $1 million dollar NIL check.

That's your personal goal you set for the team? And as usual, if they don't meet your goal, you'll throw a temper tantrum and blame them. And return to calling for Painter to be replaced by Shaka. lol. And you'll probably blame them for somehow misplacing your $1 million dollar NIL check.
He expresses his belief in the team and you turn it into something shitty. Have you considered that you are the bad guy here?

He expresses his belief in the team and you turn it into something shitty. Have you considered that you are the bad guy here?
No. You have no clue. He posts the same things every year. For years, he has said exactly what I posted. He sets goals for the team just as he sets his own lofty personal goals. And when they don't meet his goals, they are inferior players and Painter should be fired. Nothing new here.

Addendum: This entire thread is about Bone stating his reasons why he believes Purdue won't get to the FF. It's his annual chant. And yes, he then says his expectation (goal) is for them to get there.

Last edited:
Do you remember how the "versatile" Baby Boilers lost in the 2008 tourney? And to whom? Purdue was pounded 72-60 by a larger, more physical UConn team that played though giant 7'3" Hasheem Thabeet in the post. Our guards weren't shooting particularly well from 3 that game. And our versatile bigs? Hummel, Johnson, and Calasan combined shot 3-12 from 3. Oops.
It was the 2009 tourney. Oops.

Last edited:
No. You have no clue. He posts the same things every year. For years, he has said exactly what I posted. He sets goals for the team just as he sets his own lofty personal goals. And when they don't meet his goals, they are inferior players and Painter should be fired. Nothing new here.

Addendum: This entire thread is about Bone stating his reasons why he believes Purdue won't get to the FF. It's his annual chant. And yes, he then says his expectation (goal) is for them to get there.
i'm not new here. I've seen him give way more mea culpas here than you have.
Self-refelect

What's your goal for the team? To get out of the first round?
Or, if they get bounced in the S16, will you blame it on the refs or a bad matchup,

Why are you so afraid to set high expectations for tourney performance?

Reactions: BoilerDeac
Lil Andy believes Painter is beyond reproach and anything but excessive praise heaped about the coach and players is considered blasphemous. Thou shalt not question or God-forbid, criticize Painter.

Wrong; What I said was, that the MSU podcast guys do a pretty good analysis of why Painter teams have struggled in the NCAA. It's an opinion I happen to agree with. And so far, it hasn't been proven otherwise.

But, I then said that I do expect them to make the FF and a decent shot at the NC.

Reactions: titaniumbolt
Wrong; What I said was, that the MSU podcast guys do a pretty good analysis of why Painter teams have struggled in the NCAA. It's an opinion I happen to agree with. And so far, it hasn't been proven otherwise.

But, I then said that I do expect them to make the FF and a decent shot at the NC.
I’m going to continue to disagree that they do a “pretty good analysis”. Any talking head that barely watch Purdue games can give those takes.

They mention edey doesn’t screen much, which is wrong. Says edey has no footwork (they say he doesn’t need to), but he’s added moves to his bag. Example when he takes one dribble and the takes two steps around his guy and dunks or lays it in. Happened at Illinois and happened vs Wisconsin. He didn’t do that last year. Says smith can’t handle pressure for 40 mins—also wrong, but also what team does that anyways? Says MSU’s Kohler has great footwork and it’s pretty to watch…he’s not good…at all. Kinda give a back door compliment to Lance, but he’s been a huge contributor to this team on defense for sure and on the offensive side, he has a next gear that no one else has when accelerating to the hoop. Can catch fire too, also can shoot bad shots…but we needed someone not afraid of the moment.

Reactions: boilerzz
We all do. But you and bone keep claiming it’s due to mobile centers but in reality it’s not and it’s been more of Purdue shooting poorly. So it wouldn’t have mattered if we had a more mobile center since we shot below our 3pt average
Purdue's offense was predictable, and Purdue was taken out of its rhythm, which contributed to Purdue shooting poorly.

It wasn't just as simple as, "oh, Purdue got everything it wanted, it just shot poorly." That's a cop out.

This is the smart way to view things. Each season is its own thing with many different factors in play. Simple-minded people who can't/won't think want to simplify everything to one simple reason they can wrap their simple mind around.
Again, you're insulting and name-calling -- ask yourself why? Does it make you and your ego feel smarter?

We can simultaneously understand that, yes, each season is its own thing with many factors while ALSO being wise and humble enough to recognize and acknowledge patterns.

Let's make sure we're not being "simple minded" ourselves before we insult and call others the same.

Reactions: titaniumbolt
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT