ADVERTISEMENT

One of the best podcasts I've heard re: PU hoops

I’m going to continue to disagree that they do a “pretty good analysis”. Any talking head that barely watch Purdue games can give those takes.

They mention edey doesn’t screen much, which is wrong. Says edey has no footwork (they say he doesn’t need to), but he’s added moves to his bag. Example when he takes one dribble and the takes two steps around his guy and dunks or lays it in. Happened at Illinois and happened vs Wisconsin. He didn’t do that last year. Says smith can’t handle pressure for 40 mins—also wrong, but also what team does that anyways? Says MSU’s Kohler has great footwork and it’s pretty to watch…he’s not good…at all. Kinda give a back door compliment to Lance, but he’s been a huge contributor to this team on defense for sure and on the offensive side, he has a next gear that no one else has when accelerating to the hoop. Can catch fire too, also can shoot bad shots…but we needed someone not afraid of the moment.
He said pretty good analysis of "why Painter teams have struggled in the tournament." What you are talking about has nothing to do with that. You're talking about the intricacies of this year's team. Yes their analysis of that is weaker.

The name-calling, man. Your ego is typing these sentences, not your true self. Come on. We're all Purdue fans here.
Any Purdue fan I would want to be friends with would appreciate our basketball program and coach. Those that are here to continuously bash those things because they are pouting about NCAA tournaments in the past because they can't handle their emotions deserve the label given them.

Any Purdue fan I would want to be friends with would appreciate our basketball program and coach. Those that are here to continuously bash those things because they are pouting about NCAA tournaments in the past because they can't handle their emotions deserve the label given them.
I love the word "bash". It sounds like we're hunting baby harp seals with clubs.

What's your goal for the team? To get out of the first round?
Or, if they get bounced in the S16, will you blame it on the refs or a bad matchup,

Why are you so afraid to set high expectations for tourney performance?
I don't set goals for people where I have no input to there performance. Every year you say you set your own personal goal for them, then throw a Momma DGL-like temper tantrum when they don't meet your goal. Even to the point of wishing their top recruit decommits so that Painter gets fired.

You epitomize an entitlement attitude, thinking you deserve something you haven't earned. Now, if you ever pony up the $1 million you claim you gave toi the NIL, you might have an argument.

Reactions: TC4THREE
Lil Andy believes Painter is beyond reproach and anything but excessive praise heaped about the coach and players is considered blasphemous. Thou shalt not question or God-forbid, criticize Painter.
Blowfish is the lead cheerleader for the small Fire Painter band.

i'm not new here. I've seen him give way more mea culpas here than you have.
Self-refelect
Maybe raise your boy better. It's adorable that you are always there to stand up for him.

He is much more known for moving the goalposts than he is for his mea culpas. If you're not new here, you would know that.

I can see why you like it due to it fitting your exact thoughts on why Purdue will fail.

But I listened to this and the post game one after the Purdue game, and it didn’t give much more insight than any other analysis on how to beat Purdue. Their analysis was to “pressure the guards” and “Purdue can’t adapt to playing different types of games”. Lazy takes from guys who haven’t watched a lot of Purdue.

First off, that one guy talks so slow and is so stuffed up sounding and was tough to listen to in both episodes, I put it on 2x to get though it. They also try to not show bias, but it still comes through. A side note of this was that I found it weird he kept adding an inch to everyone’s height…not sure why.

Their comments prior and after the game on the players:

Edey - boring to watch, favorable whistle, not great footwork

Smith - not dynamic, not a good defender, can’t handle pressure. They talked about how they are unsure he can handle pressure for 40 minutes. What team does that in the country? I think back to the only one being UT. He handled Zieglers pressure pretty well all game long…but they probably didn’t want that game.

Loyer - only offers offense but is a better shootee

TKR - playing role well

Jones - stuffed up guy said he didn’t think he was a good fit/wasnt going to do much for Purdue. Has shot it better, but doesn’t seem to understand why Lance makes Purdue better (probably because he doesn’t watch every single game and is just spewing what he’s seen in the select few games he’s watched).

Their main focus was if you pressure Purdue guards, then Purdue won’t do well and tries to reference the 3 losses. NW pressured the entry passer well, but also a lot of those turnovers were unforced errors. In addition, NW plays super physical and dares the refs to call the fouls. It worked that game, almost worked a 2nd time. They failed to mention NW shot 50%+ from 3 in both games.

Nebraska, didn’t put that much pressure on guards. They shot 60% from 3 and had a point center running the show for them. He also hit 3s and pulled edey out.

Ohio state, didnt pressure guards. They were super physical and took away the 3 ball. Purdue shot pretty poorly as well.

In regards to Smith, he showed these last two games that he CAN be a really good defender. He shut down MSUs best guard and made TSJ uncomfortable all game. I. Terms of being dynamic, he has shot the 3 outstanding…some off the bounce (the two huge ones vs Illinois come to mind). And he is almost automatic in the PnR mid range with Edey and probably the best at it in the country. He is a top 3 PG.

Edey - their take is nothing special and is played out in every non Purdue fan base

At the end of the day, it comes down to can Purdue hit shots by guys not named Edey. We have seen a whole lot of that this year and I hope it continues. If Purdue can play how they’ve played all year(shooting 40% from 3)—especially how they have been on defense, they’ll be very tough to beat

All in All, it was alright, but nothing new. Again, definitely see why you liked it tho, bone 😉
OSU did the right things as far as trying to eat clock with the 2-2-1 or even another zone. That is a good blue print as a starting point. So is being effective in the mid range game against Purdue. That said there was more to the OSU game than what most saw. That is all I will and should say and don't see a good reason to say more. Let's just call the OSU lost maybe a different issue...

Reactions: DwaynePurvis00
OSU did the right things as far as trying to eat clock with the 2-2-1 or even another zone. That is a good blue print as a starting point. So is being effective in the mid range game against Purdue. That said there was more to the OSU game than what most saw. That is all I will and should say and don't see a good reason to say more. Let's just call the OSU lost maybe a different issue...
Well now I would like to know more….

When the season if over...maybe. I don't see a problem going forward and only mention it to state that there might have been things contributing to poorer play in the OSU game. remind me in a few months and I'll see what I might say and how I might say it. That said...it is water over the damn at this time

When the season if over...maybe. I don't see a problem going forward and only mention it to state that there might have been things contributing to poorer play in the OSU game. remind me in a few months and I'll see what I might say and how I might say it. That said...it is water over the damn at this time
I will set a reminder because I will surely forget 😂

• Haha
Reactions: tjreese

He COULD tell you.....but then.....

Maybe raise your boy better. It's adorable that you are always there to stand up for him.

He is much more known for moving the goalposts than he is for his mea culpas. If you're not new here, you would know that.
It really has nothing to do with defending him. I don't even agree with him many times. Its your obsession with him that I noticed. "He said zach and braden wouldn't be good. He said this and that about Painter. He moves the goalposts." Who gives a shit. People are allowed to be wrong. Let it go. You just say the same shit over and over rehashing meaningless points. It looks to you like I'm always standing up for him, because for the most part I enjoy his posts that I disagree with more than I enjoy your posts that I do agree with.

He COULD tell you.....but then.....

It provides no benefit today, but would only serve as a distraction and should be behind close doors. I only brought it up to say the OSU game was a bit different loss than the other two..."maybe?????"

The name-calling, man. Your ego is typing these sentences, not your true self. Come on. We're all Purdue fans here.
You are what your actions say you are.

Folks who cry on the internet and call for Painter’s firing and wishing top recruits would decommit, after an NCAA loss, are acting like emotional fanboys.

I don't set goals for people where I have no input to there performance. Every year you say you set your own personal goal for them, then throw a Momma DGL-like temper tantrum when they don't meet your goal. Even to the point of wishing their top recruit decommits so that Painter gets fired.

You epitomize an entitlement attitude, thinking you deserve something you haven't earned. Now, if you ever pony up the $1 million you claim you gave toi the NIL, you might have an argument.
You should see the white board in my office. The first 4 goals are all Purdue basketball related. It's the damnest thing...
As for entitlement, who are you to determine what I've earned and haven't earned? I know you're just happy to be here, come on man, get outside your comfort zone a little bit.

It really has nothing to do with defending him. I don't even agree with him many times. Its your obsession with him that I noticed. "He said zach and braden wouldn't be good. He said this and that about Painter. He moves the goalposts." Who gives a shit. People are allowed to be wrong. Let it go. You just say the same shit over and over rehashing meaningless points. It looks to you like I'm always standing up for him, because for the most part I enjoy his posts that I disagree with more than I enjoy your posts that I do agree with.
Lil Andy has a issue with anyone that has a different point of view or opinion than he does. And if that opinion is anything but heaping praise for Painter, then all hell breaks loose.

Reactions: BoilerDeac
Still wish that Colvin and Catchings were going somewhere else?
No. I'm glad Colvin is here. Hope he stays and hope Catchings stays with his commitment as well.
I've been wrong before. I'll be wrong again. It doesn't bother me. That's the beauty of being a weatherman or posting on an internet forum.

I don't want Painter fired any more (definitely after last years Round 1 debacle I did). But...flame out in the S16 with this team and I think the questions will only get louder.
I think it depends. If they play well and lose by 2 to, say, Auburn in the sweet 16 that's different than getting taken out of your game and choking against a 13 seed that you would have beaten by 30 in November.

Reactions: titaniumbolt
I don't want Painter fired any more (definitely after last years Round 1 debacle I did). But...flame out in the S16 with this team and I think the questions will only get louder.

Just won back to back B10 championships. His 5th.

The 6 winningest recruiting classes in school history have come during the Painter tenure.

I am on board regardless of what happens in any tourney, this year or to the day he retires.

You are what your actions say you are.

Folks who cry on the internet and call for Painter’s firing and wishing top recruits would decommit, after an NCAA loss, are acting like emotional fanboys.
But, aren't you being a bit hypocritical?

You're name-calling (which stems from an emotional reaction), and letting another person rile you up on the internet. Are you not also being an "emotional fanboy," just with a different position?

But, aren't you being a bit hypocritical?

You're name-calling (which stems from an emotional reaction), and letting another person rile you up on the internet. Are you not also being an "emotional fanboy," just with a different position?
Nobody is a fan of you.

There is a lot of value in learning from people that we only agree with 50-60% of the time

You continue to show a lack of understanding of context. In a thread he started to continue his multi-year long crusade for Purdue being unable to win a National Title with a post-centric offense, you want to focus on his single post where he hopes Purdue wins it all. (Of course he does, assuming he is a Purdue fan.)

But there is an easy fix for you to enjoy yourself more, which seems to be your main concern. Block me. Then you won't have to defend him from me disagreeing with him.

Lil Andy has a issue with anyone that has a different point of view or opinion than he does. And if that opinion is anything but heaping praise for Painter, then all hell breaks loose.
LOL. You have never seen me heap praise on Painter. Never.

Your idea of "criticizing" Painter is you demanding he be fired. It's been going on for at least 10 years. When you throw a temper tantrum after a loss, you really expose yourself. And my challenge for you has always been the same. "And replace him with who?" That seems to upset you, because your response is always something to the effect of whining that I don't accept criticism about Painter. Snowflake response.

You continue to show a lack of understanding of context. In a thread he started to continue his multi-year long crusade for Purdue being unable to win a National Title with a post-centric offense, you want to focus on his single post where he hopes Purdue wins it all. (Of course he does, assuming he is a Purdue fan.)

But there is an easy fix for you to enjoy yourself more, which seems to be your main concern. Block me. Then you won't have to defend him from me disagreeing with him.
you're right. you can't even read. it's time.

LOL. You have never seen me heap praise on Painter. Never.

Your idea of "criticizing" Painter is you demanding he be fired. It's been going on for at least 10 years. When you throw a temper tantrum after a loss, you really expose yourself. And my challenge for you has always been the same. "And replace him with who?" That seems to upset you, because your response is always something to the effect of whining that I don't accept criticism about Painter. Snowflake response.
And when you say who is better, there is no answer just “I’d give you a list and you wouldn’t like it”…still no list

Reactions: BoilerAndy
Making 4 out of the last 6 sweet sixteens is “tourney success” by any measure, at a non-blueblood program.
Purdue can become a blueblood program
being in a Power 5 conference, great recruiting territory,
near Chicago, etc. Times change, and IU certainly is not what they
used to be. Duke certainly became a blueblood once Coack K got rolling.
Michigan State was nothing until Izzo took over. Why not Purdue?
There really is no excuse. Purdue is fully capable of becoming a blueblood.

I hope there are many more Smith, Jones, Colvin, Harris, Cox, Catchings type
players to come because that's what Purdue needs to become a blueblood.
Guys that can dribble, pass, shoot, create their own shot, run, jump,
athletic. A cold shooting night from 3 would mean nothing to these guys.

Last edited:
Purdue can become a blueblood program
being in a Power 5 conference, great recruiting territory,
near Chicago, etc. Times change, and IU certainly is not what they
used to be. Duke certainly became a blueblood once Coack K got rolling.
Michigan State was nothing until Izzo took over. Why not Purdue?
There really is no excuse. Purdue is fully capable of becoming a blueblood.

I hope there are many more Smith, Jones, Colvin, Harris, Cox, Catchings type
players to come because that's what Purdue needs to become a blueblood.
Guys that can dribble, pass, shoot, create their own shot, run, jump,
athletic. A cold shooting night from 3 would mean nothing to these guys.
Yes. I believe Purdue can become the new Villanova. Have to get to a Final Four though, probably twice, for that to happen. Just get one first.

One game at a time!

Reactions: collegehoopsfan123
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT