ADVERTISEMENT

OK. I'll do the elephant in the room

This depends a lot on Loyer physically maturing. Regardless of the reality, we need a pentrator with a huge chip on their shoulder. May I go so far as to say a guy that doesn't "fit" the Purdue culture? I have totally supported the good guys ... but having 9 good guys may be enough.
Another Colts parallel… strong “culture”, lots of “good guys”, “great locker room”, but no dudes, explosive weapons, difference makers, etc….

I don't take either side, if there are sides, because I don't know what the NIL situation is at those schools.

But is your point that Purdue should not recruit highly rated players so that we don't have to deal with NIL bidding wars? Or are you saying that highly rated players are not needed for Purdue to get to the Final Four?
I’m saying FAU made the final four without Pack or high priced NIL players and paying a coach millions a year. I think that’s great.

This depends a lot on Loyer physically maturing. Regardless of the reality, we need a pentrator with a huge chip on their shoulder. May I go so far as to say a guy that doesn't "fit" the Purdue culture? I have totally supported the good guys ... but having 9 good guys may be enough.
Nelson Jr would fit this perfectly. He's very good at getting to the basket. Taran Armstrong, Khaliff Battle and Nicolas Timberlake are other possible additions

Nelson Jr would fit this perfectly. He's very good at getting to the basket. Taran Armstrong, Khaliff Battle and Nicolas Timberlake are other possible additions
Would any or all of these guys start ahead of Smith/Loyer? Or do you see tham as subs for our current players?

Did you watch FAU and Uconn? Neither of them run an offense like we do. They both have 7ft centers but that is where the comparison stops. They use those centers very differently then we use Edey. Both of them are so much more athletic than Edey. Completely different teams from us.

I'm not in the fire Painter group, but our dump it into the post offense is very dated and not what these teams do that are making noise in March.
Watched the Creighton game and they would run action to get a post touch for Kalkbrenner and it wasn’t there. Instead of him reposting, they had a secondary action for the guard to kick and drive.

We lack multiple guards who can penetrate and create.

Reactions: Dryfly88
Would any or all of these guys start ahead of Smith/Loyer? Or do you see tham as subs for our current players?
Would it have to be ahead of either of them? What if they took the 3 spot? That spot is there for the taking.

Would it have to be ahead of either of them? What if they took the 3 spot? That spot is there for the taking.
Nelson is what 6'1", not sure we would want that at the 3. He was the one I was really looking at because of his offensive history. That makes a really small group with Smith.

All these players would probably start. This would give Purdue the depth it needs.

Smith played 36 minutes against FDU which is too high.
Nelson is what 6'1", not sure we would want that at the 3. He was the one I was really looking at because of his offensive history. That makes a really small group with Smith.
That's why Armstrong and Nelson are a good to bring in together
Nelson is a natural 2 combo guard similar to Carsen Edwards and Armstrong at 6'5 as PG keeps the group's average height the same as Smith and Loyer

If Nelson comes alone I'm guessing Purdue starts Smith, Nelson and Loyer at 1,2 & 3 and accepts the small guard lineup.

Reactions: Dryfly88
I have read a lot of statements on here about NIL. I am wondering if you really know what you are talking about. I have heard that Painter was aggressive at making sure that all scholarship players have a decent amount.

I have read a lot of statements on here about NIL. I am wondering if you really know what you are talking about. I have heard that Painter was aggressive at making sure that all scholarship players have a decent amount.
What’s a “decent amount”?

Well, I read some posters talking about certain CFB teams had many players getting $25,000. That is not a decent amount for basketball where there are far less scholarship players.
That's like a card for every day at Golden Coral to a Baller.

Isn’t there part of our NIL deal where we give them merchandising opportunities? Example, I buy one of those Better Call Loyer shirts, he gets a share of the revenue. It does lend itself for players to create a name and brand so people want that gear.

Isn’t there part of our NIL deal where we give them merchandising opportunities? Example, I buy one of those Better Call Loyer shirts, he gets a share of the revenue. It does lend itself for players to create a name and brand so people want that gear.
Does anyone actually fully understand NIL? Because most schools don't... People seem to think its a "funds" from "donor's" and while that could be one way of having NIL money; that is not the lone way to do this... In fact 2 ladies from Fresno State were among the first to have NIL deals due to their social media following... This whole thing isn't so black and white... Also... Stop using NIL as justification for losing early in the tourney or why Purdue in its current state can't get to a final 4...

Does anyone actually fully understand NIL? Because most schools don't... People seem to think its a "funds" from "donor's" and while that could be one way of having NIL money; that is not the lone way to do this... In fact 2 ladies from Fresno State were among the first to have NIL deals due to their social media following... This whole thing isn't so black and white... Also... Stop using NIL as justification for losing early in the tourney or why Purdue in its current state can't get to a final 4...
The first highly visible example was the booster publicly announcing that he independently offered $800k/2 yrs and a car to Pack to come play for Miami. No "funds", no "charity", and no "donors". The donor method is simply one of the avenues Purdue boosters have chosen to allow fans to participate.

But no, I doubt that anyone fully understands NIL -- including the NCAA.

Reactions: PurdueDave
It’s not an excuse, but it is another hurdle to get over, as it allows schools with cheating infrastructure already in place (like Miami, lots of SEC schools) to continue the purchasing of talent, but to do so legally.

Reactions: BoilerAndy
The first highly visible example was the booster publicly announcing that he independently offered $800k/2 yrs and a car to Pack to come play for Miami. No "funds", no "charity", and no "donors". The donor method is simply one of the avenues Purdue boosters have chosen to allow fans to participate.

But no, I doubt that anyone fully understands NIL -- including the NCAA.
Ruiz’s loophole was that it was an endorsement deal from his company Life Wallet.

Ruiz’s loophole was that it was an endorsement deal from his company Life Wallet.
THIS /\ .... it needs to be done by a company, not an individual. The Miami twins women's players use Tick Toc and Instagram to make over a million by using themselves, which is fine since no other individual is involved, but now they can do it. A car dealership that covers the midwest could pay a Purdue player to represent them in ads.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT