ADVERTISEMENT

O/T: Girls basketball teams banned from postseason after throwing game

TC4THREE

All-American
Mar 20, 2002
LOL this is great. I swore I thought this was happening in the Purdue @ Northwestern men's game last year.

Two high school girls basketball teams will not play in the postseason after allegedly throwing a game, reports WSMV-TV in Nashville. Both teams are being accused of intentionally trying to lose the game.
"I haven't seen this happen in the 20 years I've been here," Bernard Childress said, executive director of the Tennessee Secondary School Athletic Association.
Smyrna High School was playing Riverdale High School on Saturday and the referee said players were intentionally committing turnovers, lane violations, slowed the pace of play and were even instructed to shoot in the opponent's basket.
Officials from the TSSAA said both teams were trying to lose to avoid playing powerhouse Blackman High School in the regional semifinal.
David Sanders, whose daughter plays for Lincoln County High School, said he understood why the two teams were intentionally losing, but said it was wrong to throw the game.
"You should teach your kids to win the ball game and not to be dodging things in life," Sanders said.
Along with being banned from postseason play, the two high schools reportedly face a total of $1,500 fines each. They will also be on probation for the next school year.

This post was edited on 2/24 4:21 PM by TC4THREE

Girls basketball teams banned from postseason afte

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News