ADVERTISEMENT

O' Connell is not the answer

I feel like McNutt goes long periods of time without posting anything when things are good and then as soon as a loss occurs where he knows there is going to be criticism of the team he jumps back on to troll and criticize the critics as if policing criticism on this board is his favorite hobby.

Pat is always here and while I don’t always agree with his criticism much of it is hard truth that some softer people don’t wish to confront. Just my opinion

Softer people really? I would say rational and emotionally stable people. Just my opinion. I think that there are a few people that choose to look at things from a logical and unemotional standpoint. I wouldn’t consider that soft at all. If you benched every qb for the game O’Connell just had, there would never be a qb in the history pf college football who wasn’t benched. That is a fact. And because someone feels that way doesn’t make them soft.

Softer people really? I would say rational and emotionally stable people. Just my opinion. I think that there are a few people that choose to look at things from a logical and unemotional standpoint. I wouldn’t consider that soft at all. If you benched every qb for the game O’Connell just had, there would never be a qb in the history pf college football who wasn’t benched. That is a fact. And because someone feels that way doesn’t make them soft.

I said I didn’t agree with some of his criticisms so what did you think I was referring to that one specific thing?

fwiw- I think Brohm chose the wrong opening game QB in 3 of his 4 seasons here. Was pretty clear to me that the team benefited both times that Blough took over from Sindelar

Reactions: purduepat1969
Please do stick around. You add a calm voice of reason to some of these threads - possibly owing to the broad viewpoint you gained in service to the nation. Boiler UP.

fwiw- I think Brohm chose the wrong opening game QB in 3 of his 4 seasons here. Was pretty clear to me that the team benefited both times that Blough took over from Sindelar

Most clear is the fact Elijah Sindelar won three straight starts and a bowl trophy while playing on a torn knee, then, in his last two full games at Purdue, passed for 423 and 509 yards with nine touchdowns to lead the nation before a concussion and a broken collarbone ended his career. Yeah, someone else should’ve started.

Reactions: Zaphod_B
Most clear is the fact Elijah Sindelar won three straight starts and a bowl trophy while playing on a torn knee, then, in his last two full games at Purdue, passed for 423 and 509 yards with nine touchdowns to lead the nation before a concussion and a broken collarbone ended his career. Yeah, someone else should’ve started.
Folks, it is Tuesday. Game is Friday...shouldn't we be having discussion points on upcoming game vs. last game?

Reactions: NVboiler
This is a bad take and shows that you don't pay close attention to the team.

In yesterday's interview with Coach Shepard he said that Marcellus Moore was "starting too get within the 2-deep on some of the special teams". That means he is a potential backup on special teams, not a rotation wide receiver or running back.

Not saying he's a bad player or that he doesn't have tremendous potential, but he is not going to come in a rescue the team this week.
I heard the interview this a.m. I do pay attention. Anybody ... and I mean anybody is better suited to run a 4th and 2 instead of a banged up slow QB. I'm not knocking O'Connell. The quickness is a trait he cannot get away from. Add in the fact that he is banged up and it becomes a disaster before the play started. Coach CJB should have known it before the play was called. We the public didn't know the "banged" up condition till after the game, and that makes me wonder why O'Connell's # was called on that play? That is all...I responded, but will move forward.

I heard the interview this a.m. I do pay attention. Anybody ... and I mean anybody is better suited to run a 4th and 2 instead of a banged up slow QB. I'm not knocking O'Connell. The quickness is a trait he cannot get away from. Add in the fact that he is banged up and it becomes a disaster before the play started. Coach CJB should have known it before the play was called. We the public didn't know the "banged" up condition till after the game, and that makes me wonder why O'Connell's # was called on that play? That is all...I responded, but will move forward.
Maybe he was hoping for the element of surprise, because I sure was surprised.

Think he might have made it if he had not slipped in the wet field of play?

Reactions: Born Boiler
Folks, it is Tuesday. Game is Friday...shouldn't we be having discussion points on upcoming game vs. last game?

You must’ve missed the part where this panel has been delegated the responsibility of picking Purdue’s starting quarterbacks from year to year and day to day. We’re huddling up until the play clock expires and Coach calls time.

Maybe he was hoping for the element of surprise, because I sure was surprised.

Think he might have made it if he had not slipped in the wet field of play?
I think this is a joke right. He could have ran a triple reverse option pass...... I would have been surprised, but I'm not sure it would have made it any better of a call.

well he also passed for nearly 300 yds with 2 tds and 0 ints today against a good defense. It wasn’t a great game by any stretch but to say you can’t beat good teams with him when we were pretty close today with zero running help and quite a few balls we normally catch is a bit of an overreaction I feel.
I’m with you, and let’s face it. If he had any threat of a running game where the running back actually “get to the outside“ he would have significantly more time in the pocket. Considering everyone knows they are going to run up the middle or through it, the defensive line can pin theirs back either way. Not very many realistic people on here

Exactly two-thirds of O’Connell’s 51 passes -- 34 -- targeted players not named David Bell. Eight players had catches. The junior running back caught nine of his 10 targets for a game-high 100 yards. Two seniors had two drops each, and one sophomore dropped one. Three of those forced punts.

Wet. Windy. Cold. Everyone took contact downfield and/or got held nearly every play. So, put in the newbies? Program veterans couldn’t handle it, but newcomers can? Sure, coach.

AOC threw 51 passes for 263 yards. 100 (9/10) of those yards were on swing or dump down passes to Hovarth and 40 yards came on a pass to Miller that was completed 2 or 3 yards from the line of scrimmage. That means AOC completed 18 of his other 40 passes that netted 123 yards. The Iowa game was very similar in that Purdue only Averaged 5.6 yards per passing attempt. The diagonal passing game was nearly non existent in the NW game and this team's best position is supposed to be wide receiver. Weather may have had a lot to do with it but I think that is why people were so frustrated with the offense.

AOC may be the best we have. I don't think he's a bad quarterback but I'm not sure he's "the guy" thats going to have us competing for a B10 West Championship over the next couple of years.

As for your last statement, our most productive receivers over the last two years were both true freshman....So I'm not sure you have a point there.

O' Connell is not the answer. He seems like a great kid. He has heart, and he is a competitor. I will give him that. He is a great story.

The only reason he played last year was due to necessity. We had all those injuries, and he had to play. However, he cannot scramble, he takes way too many sacks (usually in key situations), he takes too long in the pocket, his throws are inconsistent, etc.

We are called the Cradle of QBs for a reason, and we are starting a former walk on, when it is not necessary this year. He really is the best that we have right now? If so, I question Brohm's development of QBs then or in the recruitment of QB talent. In training camp, we were told that O' Connell, Burton, and Plummer were equal. If he would not yank O' Connell out when he definitely did not have it tonight, maybe we don't have QB talent yet. I realize that Alaimo is probably not ready, but I thought Plummer showed signs of development before the injury last year. I have not seen Burton play. I don't understand when we had 2 NFL type QBs, Sindelar and Blough, they were yanked immediately almost after a little inconsistent play in just a quarter, not once tonight did I see or hear of anyone warming up in place of O' Connell

If O' Connell is the best we have, I guess Jackson might start next year or Allen will 2 years from now. I know there are some big supporters of O' Connell. Please tell me what I am missing, because I don't see it. With our OL improving dramatically over last year, plays should be developing, but our offense seems stagnant. I know that is not just the QB, but he seems to fix on just Bell. Bell has NFL talent. He is a 1st round NFL draft quality receiver. I get why we look to him on every play. However, if Bell is double or triple teamed, there has to be someone else open. That is on the QB to find that open WR, if the line gives you time to check your reads.

Again, I don't get it. Please enlighten me on what I am missing obviously.
I defer to the expert Brohm but man...you’d think there are better options.

AOC threw 51 passes for 263 yards. 100 (9/10) of those yards were on swing or dump down passes to Hovarth and 40 yards came on a pass to Miller that was completed 2 or 3 yards from the line of scrimmage. That means AOC completed 18 of his other 40 passes that netted 123 yards. The Iowa game was very similar in that Purdue only Averaged 5.6 yards per passing attempt. The diagonal passing game was nearly non existent in the NW game and this team's best position is supposed to be wide receiver. Weather may have had a lot to do with it but I think that is why people were so frustrated with the offense.

AOC may be the best we have. I don't think he's a bad quarterback but I'm not sure he's "the guy" thats going to have us competing for a B10 West Championship over the next couple of years.

As for your last statement, our most productive receivers over the last two years were both true freshman....So I'm not sure you have a point there.

Given the wet, windy and cold conditions, coupled with the Big Ten’s No. 2 defense pressuring the quarterback while holding receivers downfield every play, no coaches in their right minds would declare that as the time to open tryouts for first-game rookies. Proven veterans couldn’t handle it. First-timers would be worse.

When the footing is bad and the wind is erratic but the defensive penetration is consistent, you can’t throw long or run outside, no matter the need or speed.

Blaming the quarterback or the running back for last week, as most have, is absurd. Those two and the second-half defense kept us in the game. But the offensive line failed fully on the running game and often on protection, and veteran receivers had drops and failed to shed or even “sell” the ongoing holds. They’ll improve or we’ll slide back to keeping the Illini company.

Given the wet, windy and cold conditions, coupled with the Big Ten’s No. 2 defense pressuring the quarterback while holding receivers downfield every play, no coaches in their right minds would declare that as the time to open tryouts for first-game rookies. Proven veterans couldn’t handle it. First-timers would be worse.

When the footing is bad and the wind is erratic but the defensive penetration is consistent, you can’t throw long or run outside, no matter the need or speed.

Blaming the quarterback or the running back for last week, as most have, is absurd. Those two and the second-half defense kept us in the game. But the offensive line failed fully on the running game and often on protection, and veteran receivers had drops and failed to shed or even “sell” the ongoing holds. They’ll improve or we’ll slide back to keeping the Illini company.
There was enough protection for AOC. Also, his accuracy and decision making failed him.

Reactions: IUhaterade
Fantastic rebuttal. Laden with facts and quality analysis. As usual.

More than anything you provide.

I continually offer facts and support for the Purdue player who was chosen and reaffirmed by the Purdue coach and who, in fact, leads the entire Big Ten Conference in its foremost performance category.

You, on the other hand, just crap on and in your own.

Last edited:
Reactions: Zaphod_B
There was enough protection for AOC. Also, his accuracy and decision making failed him.
Accuracy
28/51 passing, 55% completion. Someone said 6 drops (I felt like it was more but don’t feel like a re-watch to count right now so I will roll with that number). That would be 34/51 or 67% competion %.... Amazing if you consider the wet conditions and the fact that timing was being thrown off repeatedly by the physical defense NW was playing. Also ZERO interceptions. Doesn’t seem like a qb struggling with accuracy issues.

Decision Making
Zero Int
3 sacks
1 Fumble

54 pass attempts (including the 3 sacks) is nearly 2 games worth of passes for some teams. 3 sacks in two games is pretty incredible really. The fumble was bad and should have been thrown somewhere or tucked. As to who he throws to being bad choices, unless you know every plays read progression based on the pre snap read, and have the camera angles to see the coverage on each of his reads, you have zero idea how his decision making was. ZERO. I will defer to Coach Brohm.

More than anything you provide.

I continually offer facts and support for the Purdue player who was chosen and reaffirmed by the Purdue coach and who, in fact, leads the entire Big Ten Conference in its foremost performance category.

You, on the other hand, just crap on and in your own.
In the big ten, if you have enough time to get to the back of your 5 step drop and get through 2 reads, that’s adequate and aoc had that. Anyone expecting a clean pocket for 10 seconds doesn’t know what they are talking about.
His indecision cost him. When bell wasn’t available he struggled to get to his second read and certainly wouldn’t take off an run like blough would have.
his accuracy was certainly not what it usually is. Several throws too far outn front or behind players. He bounced passed one to a wide open Sheffield. Etc. rewatch the game without your rose coloredglasses

Accuracy
28/51 passing, 55% completion. Someone said 6 drops (I felt like it was more but don’t feel like a re-watch to count right now so I will roll with that number). That would be 34/51 or 67% competion %.... Amazing if you consider the wet conditions and the fact that timing was being thrown off repeatedly by the physical defense NW was playing. Also ZERO interceptions. Doesn’t seem like a qb struggling with accuracy issues.

Decision Making
Zero Int
3 sacks
1 Fumble

54 pass attempts (including the 3 sacks) is nearly 2 games worth of passes for some teams. 3 sacks in two games is pretty incredible really. The fumble was bad and should have been thrown somewhere or tucked. As to who he throws to being bad choices, unless you know every plays read progression based on the pre snap read, and have the camera angles to see the coverage on each of his reads, you have zero idea how his decision making was. ZERO. I will defer to Coach Brohm.
How many iffy throws have wrs covered up. One of the reporters said it and I agree, the talent has made AOC look better than he is

How many iffy throws have wrs covered up. One of the reporters said it and I agree, the talent has made AOC look better than he is

Brohm said after review it wasn’t that bad. 2 rush yards in a game. We have to be able to run some. Not perfect from O’Connell by any stretch but much much bigger issue to sort out.

Brohm said after review it wasn’t that bad. 2 rush yards in a game. We have to be able to run some. Not perfect from O’Connell by any stretch but much much bigger issue to sort out.
Brohm had his own issues in the game, which he also acknowledged in the presser.

In the big ten, if you have enough time to get to the back of your 5 step drop and get through 2 reads, that’s adequate and aoc had that. Anyone expecting a clean pocket for 10 seconds doesn’t know what they are talking about.
His indecision cost him. When bell wasn’t available he struggled to get to his second read and certainly wouldn’t take off an run like blough would have.
his accuracy was certainly not what it usually is. Several throws too far outn front or behind players. He bounced passed one to a wide open Sheffield. Etc. rewatch the game without your rose coloredglasses

Re-watch it again. Many incompletions were great decisions.

When options are covered (or held) and routes and protection have run their course, you throw it away … near a receiver … and live to try another play.

Inaccuracy leads to interceptions, but O’Connell successfully avoided the kitty mitts. ZERO picks is not the product of a weak quarterback in rain, wind and cold against the Big Ten's No. 2 defense.

Brohm had his own issues in the game, which he also acknowledged in the presser.

He did Mea Culpas in the postgame. On further review, he said his QB was "decent." Means not his fault.

Too bad O’Connell didn’t face the three-man rush we tried so often before the half. I swear I saw Ramsey yawn.

Reactions: BBG and Beorik
He did Mea Culpas in the postgame. On further review, he said his QB was "decent." Means not his fault.

Too bad O’Connell didn’t face the three-man rush we tried so often before the half. I swear I saw Ramsey yawn.
Yeah, im fine with the 3 man if you have George out there, but Sullivan and Deen arent the pass rushers that GK is. They are solid on run d and would make fine 3 technique tackles in a 4 man front, but getting pressure is a different skill set.

All things said, if our defense holds a team to 27 points, Brohm should be able to get his offense to score more. We hired him based on his offensive abilities.

Yeah, im fine with the 3 man if you have George out there, but Sullivan and Deen arent the pass rushers that GK is. They are solid on run d and would make fine 3 technique tackles in a 4 man front, but getting pressure is a different skill set.

All things said, if our defense holds a team to 27 points, Brohm should be able to get his offense to score more. We hired him based on his offensive abilities.

I gotta admit Sullivan at least has the look on camera. Jack could be John L. Another Fighting Sullivan. We’ve got a lot of guys who look like they could lift and throw opponents into the stands. Merely to maintain social distance, of course.

Brohm announced today the O’Connell is a game decision for Friday night, so we may see if the back up QB is the answer or not. Brohm said Plummer would start, if O’Connell cannot go.

As the Rev. Jesse Jackson used to say on “Saturday Night Live,” “The question is moot.”

Except for, “Why does this always happen to Purdue’s best guys and nowhere else?”

This is something I absolutely agree with. The defense has played well enough in all 3 games to give Purdue a chance to win.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT