ADVERTISEMENT

O' Connell is not the answer

Yeah, we really should lead the Big Ten in passing. Oh, wait. We do.

Aidan O’Connell is No. 1 in the Big Ten in passing yards per game.
Aidan O’Connell is No. 1 in the Big Ten in pass completions per game.
Aidan O’Connell is No. 4 in the Big Ten in completion percentage.
Aidan O’Connell is No. 4 in the Big Ten in fewest interceptions.
Aidan O’Connell is No. 5 in the Big Ten in passer rating.
Aidan O’Connell is No. 5 in the Big Ten in touchdown passes.

That’s Aidan O’Connell after facing two of the top three defenses in the Big Ten. Northwestern is No. 2 and Iowa is No. 3, both in points and total yardage.

But scholarship armchairs think we can do better than lead the league.
For the offense, leading the league in yards and completions is meaningless. I'll agree he hasn't thrown interceptions. But this offense isn't scoring much. It's 11th in the league in scoring offense.

For the offense, leading the league in yards and completions is meaningless. I'll agree he hasn't thrown interceptions. But this offense isn't scoring much. It's 11th in the league in scoring offense.

League-leading production is huge. Plus, only four guys in the whole league have thrown more TD passes.

O’Connell threw for 263 yards and two touchdowns with no picks even though his receivers got hit and held all night and his protection broke down every few plays. Horvath manned up with kitties filling the box and caught nine passes for 100 yards … a nice in-game adjustment. Still, the line needs to be much better.

Meanwhile the kitties enjoyed long stretches of watching our three-man rush wallow away with enough time for Ramsey to stand, click his heels, write and send postcards about his visit to the land of odds. Three pass rushers with no George, no sweat. Purdue is now 13th in the Big Ten in pass defense. That hurts worst.

Reactions: Zaphod_B
League-leading production is huge. Plus, only four guys in the whole league have thrown more TD passes.

O’Connell threw for 263 yards and two touchdowns with no picks even though his receivers got hit and held all night and his protection broke down every few plays. Horvath manned up with kitties filling the box and caught nine passes for 100 yards … a nice in-game adjustment. Still, the line needs to be much better.

Meanwhile the kitties enjoyed long stretches of watching our three-man rush wallow away with enough time for Ramsey to stand, click his heels, write and send postcards about his visit to the land of odds. Three pass rushers with no George, no sweat. Purdue is now 13th in the Big Ten in pass defense. That hurts worst.
Scoring defense is all that matters. Scoring offense is all that matters. Nothing else in the stats matter.

Apparently he doesn't feel they're ready to handle his "complicated" offense. Didn't know handing off to the running back and throwing every pass to David Bell was all that complicated...

Exactly two-thirds of O’Connell’s 51 passes -- 34 -- targeted players not named David Bell. Eight players had catches. The junior running back caught nine of his 10 targets for a game-high 100 yards. Two seniors had two drops each, and one sophomore dropped one. Three of those forced punts.

Wet. Windy. Cold. Everyone took contact downfield and/or got held nearly every play. So, put in the newbies? Program veterans couldn’t handle it, but newcomers can? Sure, coach.

Reactions: Zaphod_B and Beorik
Scoring defense is all that matters. Scoring offense is all that matters. Nothing else in the stats matter.

There’s no scoring without moving the football; there’s no moving the football without passing; there’s no one in the Big Ten who moves the football by passing more than Aidan O’Connell.

Learn it, live it, love it or leave it.

Why are backups always the best option?
You must think that CJB and Brian Brohm have never played that position. They have and they see practices every day and every play. They know more than all of us do.
I will give props to the notion of trying a running QB for a series to shake it up a bit, move the ball and you can stay in. Our two coaches know who the best passer is and that is A. O’Connell.
Will acknowledge the puzzling call of running AOC on 4th and 2 and we turn it over on downs. That was a crappy call.
And yet, they had the wrong starting QB twice with Sindelar over Blough...and, they could very well have it wrong yet again.

Even if they do not, it is still an indictment of them that he actually is the best option.

And yet, they had the wrong starting QB twice with Sindelar over Blough...and, they could very well have it wrong yet again.

Even if they do not, it is still an indictment of them that he actually is the best option.

Sindelar was leading the NCAA in passing when his career ended. And O'Connell still leads the Big Ten in passing.

And you see better options?

There’s no scoring without moving the football; there’s no moving the football without passing; there’s no one in the Big Ten who moves the football by passing more than Aidan O’Connell.

Learn it, live it, love it or leave it.
Is that last sentence supposed to be some sort of motivational line? Goodness sakes. I've come to learn that you're all about the stats, meaningless or otherwise.

Sindelar was leading the NCAA in passing when his career ended. And O'Connell still leads the Big Ten in passing.

And you see better options?
And yet the team lost in 2 of the 3 games he played in last year. But golly gee, he sure did pass for a lot of yards...

Reactions: DAG10
And yet the team lost in 2 of the 3 games he played in last year. But golly gee, he sure did pass for a lot of yards...

Maybe, someday, you’ll learn not to speak out of ignorance, even though it’s obviously the only thing you know well.

O’Connell rescued Purdue against Nebraska, hitting 6-of-7 to lead the come-from-behind win, then he wiped out a 16-7 deficit with two straight touchdown passes and led the late winning drive to beat Northwestern. He threw for two more TDs and 289 yards against Wisconsin, not too bad of a ballclub, then he torched indiana for three touchdowns and 408 yards and put 41 points on the board. His loss?

Giving the quarterback all credit for everything, he was 2-2 last year, and he is 2-1 this year … while topping the entire Big Ten Conference in passing.

He’s a proven winner in the clutch and a league leader. Take a lesson.

I'm about facts. You're about cliches. Absurd.
He's also about blaming Wheeler for everything. But you're right, he's never been about facts only the feels. Hence why no one on here takes him all that seriously and he is considered just a shade above McNutt.

He's also about blaming Wheeler for everything. But you're right, he's never been about facts only the feels. Hence why no one on here takes him all that seriously and he is considered just a shade above McNutt.
Yeah, that's why I have about 20 times more liked comments than you do. Don't really care if you don't like my perspective. But your comment comparing me to McNutt might be the dumbest post on this thread.

Maybe, someday, you’ll learn not to speak out of ignorance, even though it’s obviously the only thing you know well.

O’Connell rescued Purdue against Nebraska, hitting 6-of-7 to lead the come-from-behind win, then he wiped out a 16-7 deficit with two straight touchdown passes and led the late winning drive to beat Northwestern. He threw for two more TDs and 289 yards against Wisconsin, not too bad of a ballclub, then he torched indiana for three touchdowns and 408 yards and put 41 points on the board. His loss?

Giving the quarterback all credit for everything, he was 2-2 last year, and he is 2-1 this year … while topping the entire Big Ten Conference in passing.

He’s a proven winner in the clutch and a league leader. Take a lesson.

I am happy to see a few more people post some positive things since gameday. I was starting to feel bad about our own fanbase. I don’t know how in a game we could only muster 2 yards rushing against a very good NW defense we would start calling for the qbs head. Seemed silly to me.
In short thanks to those of you saying positive and cheering our boys on! Boiler Up!

Yeah, that's why I have about 20 times more liked comments than you do. Don't really care if you don't like my perspective. But your comment comparing me to McNutt might be the dumbest post on this thread.
Ah yes because post likes matter, you must be part of the 'woke' movement. Never mind that when you look at the ratio of posts to likes, mine at first glance is on par or greater than yours. I find it funny that you say you don't care if I like your perspective or not, but literally bring up all of your post 'likes' as part of your response. The hypocrisy is just getting rather funny at this point.

You do care what people think of you, that is painfully obvious. The entire content of your post also proves my notion about you and McNutt, so thanks for that.

Last edited:
Reactions: ChemE Grad
Ah yes because post likes matter, you must be part of the 'woke' movement. Never mind that when you look at the ratio of posts to likes, mine at first glance is on par or greater than yours. I find it funny that you say you don't care if I like your perspective or not, but literally bring up all of your post 'likes' as part of your response. The hypocrisy is just getting rather funny at this point.

And you do care what people think of you, that is painfully obvious. The entire content of your post also proves my notion about you and McNutt, so thanks for that.
You believe what you want to. Thanks for your opinion.

I am happy to see a few more people post some positive things since gameday. I was starting to feel bad about our own fanbase. I don’t know how in a game we could only muster 2 yards rushing against a very good NW defense we would start calling for the qbs head. Seemed silly to me.
In short thanks to those of you saying positive and cheering our boys on! Boiler Up!
This forum is like that all the time and why quite a few don't post here at all or very rarely. If you want to have a non-ledge jumping discussion about the football and even the basketball team, this site isn't the place for it. Been that way for a while now and the only reason I post here is because there are a couple people on here that I do enjoy interacting with. Sadly a lot of those people don't frequent here that often either.

Don't worry I will, I've got some strong facts to support it too.
LMAO. You and Born Boiler are a lot alike. You use statistics as the "truth" but don't know how to analyze them. It's funny to watch. I feel bad for you. But I hold no ill will. We're both Boiler fans who want the best for our teams. In the end, none of our opinions matter.

This forum is like that all the time and why quite a few don't post here at all or very rarely. If you want to have a non-ledge jumping discussion about the football and even the basketball team, this site isn't the place for it. Been that way for a while now and the only reason I post here is because there are a couple people on here that I do enjoy interacting with. Sadly a lot of those people don't frequent here that often either.

Yea. I am sure I will give up as well based on my experience so far. Just a shame. I live in a part of the country there are no Purdue fans to talk to. Thought this site might be the place to talk and cheer for our team. Seems to be 75%+ bashing things though. Thanks for posting something positive though. Boiler Up!

LMAO. You and Born Boiler are a lot alike. You use statistics as the "truth" but don't know how to analyze them. It's funny to watch. I feel bad for you. But I hold no ill will. We're both Boiler fans who want the best for our teams. In the end, none of our opinions matter.
The irony and hypocrisy in your post is hysterical. Thanks for the laugh Mcnutt jr.

Reactions: ChemE Grad
Yea. I am sure I will give up as well based on my experience so far. Just a shame. I live in a part of the country there are no Purdue fans to talk to. Thought this site might be the place to talk and cheer for our team. Seems to be 75%+ bashing things though. Thanks for posting something positive though. Boiler Up!
Yeah it's pretty easy to get drug down in to the muck here. Check out reddit, there are more people there than here, much more controlled environment and when the posts are 'negative' it's more constructive than just out right bashing. Unlike on here and to be fair, that bashing is only done by a few but enough to really ruin threads.

Yeah it's pretty easy to get drug down in to the muck here. Check out reddit, there are more people there than here, much more controlled environment and when the posts are 'negative' it's more constructive than just out right bashing. Unlike on here and to be fair, that bashing is only done by a few but enough to really ruin threads.
Thank you. I will look into it.

Yeah, we really should lead the Big Ten in passing. Oh, wait. We do.

Aidan O’Connell is No. 1 in the Big Ten in passing yards per game.
Aidan O’Connell is No. 1 in the Big Ten in pass completions per game.
Aidan O’Connell is No. 4 in the Big Ten in completion percentage.
Aidan O’Connell is No. 4 in the Big Ten in fewest interceptions.
Aidan O’Connell is No. 5 in the Big Ten in passer rating.
Aidan O’Connell is No. 5 in the Big Ten in touchdown passes.

That’s Aidan O’Connell after facing two of the top three defenses in the Big Ten. Northwestern is No. 2 and Iowa is No. 3, both in points and total yardage.

But scholarship armchairs think we can do better than lead the league.
Great post. The offensive genius needs to put his team in a position to score. O'Connell is a QB that can lead this team to a nice bowl if the offensive play calling gives him a chance.

Great post. The offensive genius needs to put his team in a position to score. O'Connell is a QB that can lead this team to a nice bowl if the offensive play calling gives him a chance.
O'Connell did a much better when the calls were essentially made for him later in the game. Also to be fair, he was under pressure a lot from a decent NW defense. He also had some passes dropped and what happened Saturday is so far an outlier more than the norm. That could all change of course, but at this point of the season he's been pretty consistent with solid numbers.

And thats fine for you, but they aren't far off just his are less vulgar so I'll give him that.

I feel like McNutt goes long periods of time without posting anything when things are good and then as soon as a loss occurs where he knows there is going to be criticism of the team he jumps back on to troll and criticize the critics as if policing criticism on this board is his favorite hobby.

Pat is always here and while I don’t always agree with his criticism much of it is hard truth that some softer people don’t wish to confront. Just my opinion

Reactions: purduepat1969
AOC is a good walk on QB. He is not a scholarship QB and you can see why. There were a lot of expectations at QB with Brohm at the helm but he has had a lot of bad luck.

Piferi was moved to TE, Sindelar left school a year early, and Sipe was injured. So we are behind at the QB position which no one thought would happen. It's going to be at least two years until we have another possible "cradle of QBs" type QB.

Hopefully Alaimo or Brady Allen can be the answer...but these guys are two years away.

For now we have AOC, Plummer, and Burton whether you like it or not. Hopefully one of them can emerge until the younger guys take over in a couple years.

He is absolutely a scholarship worthy QB. Not sure how that is even up for debate

I feel like McNutt goes long periods of time without posting anything when things are good and then as soon as a loss occurs where he knows there is going to be criticism of the team he jumps back on to troll and criticize the critics as if policing criticism on this board is his favorite hobby.

Pat is always here and while I don’t always agree with his criticism much of it is hard truth that some softer people don’t wish to confront. Just my opinion
I see your side, just basing my opinion on how those two acted during the game thread. I may not post in it, but I do read it from time to time.

Doesn't impact me either way really.

And the 4th and 2 slip/ trip turnover on downs. Where is Marcellus Moore or other speedsters who can make a move and go!?
This is a bad take and shows that you don't pay close attention to the team.

In yesterday's interview with Coach Shepard he said that Marcellus Moore was "starting too get within the 2-deep on some of the special teams". That means he is a potential backup on special teams, not a rotation wide receiver or running back.

Not saying he's a bad player or that he doesn't have tremendous potential, but he is not going to come in a rescue the team this week.

Reactions: purduepat1969
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT