ADVERTISEMENT

O' Connell is not the answer

KentuckyBoiler

All-American
Jul 6, 2011
O' Connell is not the answer. He seems like a great kid. He has heart, and he is a competitor. I will give him that. He is a great story.

The only reason he played last year was due to necessity. We had all those injuries, and he had to play. However, he cannot scramble, he takes way too many sacks (usually in key situations), he takes too long in the pocket, his throws are inconsistent, etc.

We are called the Cradle of QBs for a reason, and we are starting a former walk on, when it is not necessary this year. He really is the best that we have right now? If so, I question Brohm's development of QBs then or in the recruitment of QB talent. In training camp, we were told that O' Connell, Burton, and Plummer were equal. If he would not yank O' Connell out when he definitely did not have it tonight, maybe we don't have QB talent yet. I realize that Alaimo is probably not ready, but I thought Plummer showed signs of development before the injury last year. I have not seen Burton play. I don't understand when we had 2 NFL type QBs, Sindelar and Blough, they were yanked immediately almost after a little inconsistent play in just a quarter, not once tonight did I see or hear of anyone warming up in place of O' Connell

If O' Connell is the best we have, I guess Jackson might start next year or Allen will 2 years from now. I know there are some big supporters of O' Connell. Please tell me what I am missing, because I don't see it. With our OL improving dramatically over last year, plays should be developing, but our offense seems stagnant. I know that is not just the QB, but he seems to fix on just Bell. Bell has NFL talent. He is a 1st round NFL draft quality receiver. I get why we look to him on every play. However, if Bell is double or triple teamed, there has to be someone else open. That is on the QB to find that open WR, if the line gives you time to check your reads.

Again, I don't get it. Please enlighten me on what I am missing obviously.

O' Connell is not the answer. He seems like a great kid. He has heart, and he is a competitor. I will give him that. He is a great story.

The only reason he played last year was due to necessity. We had all those injuries, and he had to play. However, he cannot scramble, he takes way too many sacks (usually in key situations), he takes too long in the pocket, his throws are inconsistent, etc.

We are called the Cradle of QBs for a reason, and we are starting a former walk on, when it is not necessary this year. He really is the best that we have right now? If so, I question Brohm's development of QBs then or in the recruitment of QB talent. In training camp, we were told that O' Connell, Burton, and Plummer were equal. If he would not yank O' Connell out when he definitely did not have it tonight, maybe we don't have QB talent yet. I realize that Alaimo is probably not ready, but I thought Plummer showed signs of development before the injury last year. I have not seen Burton play. I don't understand when we had 2 NFL type QBs, Sindelar and Blough, they were yanked immediately almost after a little inconsistent play in just a quarter, not once tonight did I see or hear of anyone warming up in place of O' Connell

If O' Connell is the best we have, I guess Jackson might start next year or Allen will 2 years from now. I know there are some big supporters of O' Connell. Please tell me what I am missing, because I don't see it. With our OL improving dramatically over last year, plays should be developing, but our offense seems stagnant. I know that is not just the QB, but he seems to fix on just Bell. Bell has NFL talent. He is a 1st round NFL draft quality receiver. I get why we look to him on every play. However, if Bell is double or triple teamed, there has to be someone else open. That is on the QB to find that open WR, if the line gives you time to check your reads.

You are missing (1) seeing them in practice day after day, and (2) Brohm's considerable experience as a qb and coach, versus you having zero experience in all likelihood. Otherwise, you opinion is just as informed as CJB's.

Reactions: Zaphod_B and Beorik

Close to spot on. If he holds it too long it usually ends bad as a sack vs chucking the ball out of bounds downfield. Coaches should have that timing drilled into him by now.

He was hurt.

There is an assumption that his accuracy can be replicated by any QB with a high star rating. It can’t

O'Connell can't be the starter on a team that's expected to win, he's actually good for a Walk on, he deserves his scholarship, should be at best the backup. Let's see what the former 4 star from UCLA can do, I don't have much confidence in Plummer.

You are missing (1) seeing them in practice day after day, and (2) Brohm's considerable experience as a qb and coach, versus you having zero experience in all likelihood. Otherwise, you opinion is just as informed as CJB's.
Can I upvote this more?

Reactions: Zaphod_B
O’Connell came into today as one of the top qbs in the Big. Yes today wasn’t great but I have a feeling NW is gonna make a lot of qbs look like that or much worse if allowed to be that physical without a flag.

He was hurt.

There is an assumption that his accuracy can be replicated by any QB with a high star rating. It can’t
I do think he was hobbled some. He was limping at one point against Illinois and while it was 2 weeks ago who knows what he might’ve tweaked. But that’s not a good excuse, he was out there so expected to perform at peak form.
As far as his accuracy: he is very accurate with a clean pocket and plenty of time, an abundance of time, over abundance maybe, and when he can stand still. But that’s not how the game works, once he gets rattled or bit once he gets nervous. He holds the ball too long, floats passes he should throw on a line and throws darts that could be thrown softer to be catchable. He also got to a point tonight where every throw was high. Not sure if he was feeling crowded or what but a lot of passes ended up being high to the point of a receiver having to jump and get one hand on the ball instead of waist to head height where two hands could be used

O'Connell can't be the starter on a team that's expected to win, he's actually good for a Walk on, he deserves his scholarship, should be at best the backup. Let's see what the former 4 star from UCLA can do, I don't have much confidence in Plummer.
Why are backups always the best option?
You must think that CJB and Brian Brohm have never played that position. They have and they see practices every day and every play. They know more than all of us do.
I will give props to the notion of trying a running QB for a series to shake it up a bit, move the ball and you can stay in. Our two coaches know who the best passer is and that is A. O’Connell.
Will acknowledge the puzzling call of running AOC on 4th and 2 and we turn it over on downs. That was a crappy call.

O’Connell came into today as one of the top qbs in the Big. Yes today wasn’t great but I have a feeling NW is gonna make a lot of qbs look like that or much worse if allowed to be that physical without a flag.
After 2 games against questionable defenses. When he leads in those areas at the end of the season, let me know. BTW, this offense is averaging 22.7 points per game. Not going to outscore many teams with that type of scoring.

Reactions: C'ville Boiler
"Considerable" experience doesn't mean "winning" experience as a coach, which is all that matters.

Reactions: DAG10
After 2 games against questionable defenses. When he leads in those areas at the end of the season, let me know. BTW, this offense is averaging 22.7 points per game. Not going to outscore many teams with that type of scoring.

well he also passed for nearly 300 yds with 2 tds and 0 ints today against a good defense. It wasn’t a great game by any stretch but to say you can’t beat good teams with him when we were pretty close today with zero running help and quite a few balls we normally catch is a bit of an overreaction I feel.

Btw I do agree about the points though. We have made too many mistakes when we could have scored. Need to get it in the end zone more.

well he also passed for nearly 300 yds with 2 tds and 0 ints today against a good defense. It wasn’t a great game by any stretch but to say you can’t beat good teams with him when we were pretty close today with zero running help and quite a few balls we normally catch is a bit of an overreaction I feel.
Puhlease, just stop. His fumble sealed the game for NW. His poor play in the first half didn't help. Yards mean nothing.

Puhlease, just stop. His fumble sealed the game for NW. His poor play in the first half didn't help. Yards mean nothing.

wow. You are insane. Literally out of your mind. I hope you have no interaction with people day to dat. The fumble absolutely didn’t seal anything. We had TWO chance to tie the game on offense. Yards don’t mean everything but to say they mean nothing? Can’t even have a civil conversation with you. O’Connell has played well so far this year. Not a great game today but he absolutely can be a key part of us having a very good year.

Reactions: Zaphod_B and BBG
"Considerable" experience doesn't mean "winning" experience as a coach, which is all that matters.
Can I talk you back off the ledge tonight?
We are going to be fine. 5-2 looks attainable, and 6-1 quite possible. I hate to lose like everyone else, but recognize Purdue got beat by a quality team. It was fundamental football and we were not as prepared both mentally and coached as we should have been to win that one.
We will be fine.

I like AOC a lot. But he takes some terrible sacks and simply can not escape the pocket. Im not the coach, so I can only assume AOC gives us the best chance to win in the coaches' eyes.

AOC and our offense to a large degree has been bailed out and in large part relied on Bell hauling in those hail Mary type deep balls. Its been pretty amazing to watch, and it's what makes David Bell, David Bell. However, Bell was unable to bring those down tonight.

wow. You are insane. Literally out of your mind. I hope you have no interaction with people day to dat. The fumble absolutely didn’t seal anything. We had TWO chance to tie the game on offense. Yards don’t mean everything but to say they mean nothing? Can’t even have a civil conversation with you. O’Connell has played well so far this year. Not a great game today but he absolutely can be a key part of us having a very good year.
The only one being uncivil is you with your first few sentences there. And yes, that fumble was huge. Our defense had just gotten a good stop, after the offense came out and pissed down their leg after halftime, and we were still down 7. He gets flustered and starts to scramble but since he has no confidence in his running ability he pulls up, beyond the line of scrimmage mind you, and pulls the ball back to pass which would be a penalty and displays a lack of awareness and he doesn’t feel the pressure from behind and he gets hit and the ball comes out. Northwestern proceeds to go score to make it 24-10. It was the winning touchdown. I do not care if he’s slow. I do not care if he’s afraid to get hit, or if he was still thinking “I need to find a receiver for the first down”. He held the ball too long. He stepped up into an open pocket with no outlet. Tuck the ball and go get 5 yards. Or get 5, lower your shoulder and maybe bounce around a few guys and get the first down. It’s called grit. He needs to display some.

As I listened to the game today, my only thought was Curtis Painter ONLY looking for Dorian Bryant. This guy is in no way the answer.

LMAO. You're the one who's insane with the inability to see reality. AOC had a terrible game. His fumble absolutely sealed the game, as NW scored to go up 24-10. You do remember we only scored 20 points, right?

The only one being uncivil is you with your first few sentences there. And yes, that fumble was huge. Our defense had just gotten a good stop, after the offense came out and pissed down their leg after halftime, and we were still down 7. He gets flustered and starts to scramble but since he has no confidence in his running ability he pulls up, beyond the line of scrimmage mind you, and pulls the ball back to pass which would be a penalty and displays a lack of awareness and he doesn’t feel the pressure from behind and he gets hit and the ball comes out. Northwestern proceeds to go score to make it 24-10. It was the winning touchdown. I do not care if he’s slow. I do not care if he’s afraid to get hit, or if he was still thinking “I need to find a receiver for the first down”. He held the ball too long. He stepped up into an open pocket with no outlet. Tuck the ball and go get 5 yards. Or get 5, lower your shoulder and maybe bounce around a few guys and get the first down. It’s called grit. He needs to display some.
I agree the fumble was huge. I never said it wasn’t. I said it didn’t end the game. And it did not.
I also agree that he held onto the ball too long at times tonight and even Brohm addressed it post game and said he felt it was do to NW holding up the WR and did not put it on O’Connell. I will trust his assessment.

Why are backups always the best option?
You must think that CJB and Brian Brohm have never played that position. They have and they see practices every day and every play. They know more than all of us do.
I will give props to the notion of trying a running QB for a series to shake it up a bit, move the ball and you can stay in. Our two coaches know who the best passer is and that is A. O’Connell.
Will acknowledge the puzzling call of running AOC on 4th and 2 and we turn it over on downs. That was a crappy call.
Curtis Painter played the position as well. Should he be the head coach? Go back to your Covid conspiracies already. Your football IQ is lacking.

Reactions: Riveting

It's not the kid's fault. He was sacked because the line couldn't stop anyone. Whomever was calling the offense sucked at that job. The defense allowed too many points. Again....you could have been under center and we'd still have lost.

I agree the fumble was huge. I never said it wasn’t. I said it didn’t end the game. And it did not.
I also agree that he held onto the ball too long at times tonight and even Brohm addressed it post game and said he felt it was do to NW holding up the WR and did not put it on O’Connell. I will trust his assessment.
That's a captain obvious assessment by Brohm. When you hold onto the ball too long, you tend to get sacked. When you focus in on one receiver for multiple plays, he tends to get covered, double teamed, and held. Gee whiz, thanks for your genius assessment. BTW, that's coach speak in order to protect your QB from criticism.

Reactions: GeorgeFostersBat
Can I talk you back off the ledge tonight?
We are going to be fine. 5-2 looks attainable, and 6-1 quite possible. I hate to lose like everyone else, but recognize Purdue got beat by a quality team. It was fundamental football and we were not as prepared both mentally and coached as we should have been to win that one.
We will be fine.
I really do laugh at you "crystal ball" folks. You know NOTHING more than the rest of us. Just wishing and hoping. Please, break down schemes and such too such an extent that you can prove your "statements". I will not be looking for a response as you cannot break down schemes and neithe can I. So, save this "I know so much" nonsense.

It's not the kid's fault. He was sacked because the line couldn't stop anyone. Whomever was calling the offense sucked at that job. The defense allowed too many points. Again....you could have been under center and we'd still have lost.
I agree to some extent. Disappointed to see so many offensive lineman recruited and the results are only slightly improved.

The defense was in no way the biggest problem tonight. The play calling was horrendous. The QB play was bad. The lack of running game continues. Defense is not even close to being as big of an issue as those 3.

Curtis Painter played the position as well. Should he be the head coach? Go back to your Covid conspiracies already. Your football IQ is lacking.
What the hell are you talking about covid conspiracies? I’ve got every bit as much football IQ as you do. You are not drawing a paycheck in NCAA or NFL or you wouldn’t post here.
You are likely no George Foster from the Big Red Machine either. Put your drink down and go to bed.

The defense was in no way the biggest problem tonight. The play calling was horrendous. The QB play was bad. The lack of running game continues. Defense is not even close to being as big of an issue as those 3.
It was as big as anything other than play calling. Too many short passes, one RB that did much of anything, and a defense with holes. For a guy who was supposed to be an offensive genius, Brohm has been a huge disappointment.

It was as big as anything other than play calling. Too many short passes, one RB that did much of anything, and a defense with holes. For a guy who was supposed to be an offensive genius, Brohm has been a huge disappointment.
We're saying the same thing. This team should be significantly better on offense. Our defense is never going to be our strong point. But tonight our defense played well enough to win. We held NW to 27 points when the D was put in bad positions by the inept offense, especially O'Connell's fumble. With a better offense, the D probably only gives up 20 points.

First off, old enough to go to fight in a war, old enough too NOT be called a kid. Adult football player who made really dumb decisions. Thankfully, just a football game and NOT war. Stop treating them as such delicate flowers. The guy is NOT qualafied too be a starter, regardless of what Brohm says.

• Sad
Reactions: Riveting
I think he’s done ok without Moore and a pretty young offensive line. He was obviously off today but even the best college QBs have days like this. And considering northwestern has the best CB talent pool in all of America (kidding. Lots of holding), it wasn’t that bad. It was a close game without 2 of our 3 best players. The dime he dropped to Wright was a beauty and he’s many threes like that to showcase he can play. He has talent just had a bad game I think. Plus we couldn’t run for anything (see young o-line). Well see what happens but even against our competition so far, I think you can see pretty good progress. Even when Miller caught that TD he looked like a top tier tight end. It takes time to build a program from almost ground zero. Especially here.

Reactions: Zaphod_B and Beorik
You must have thought Curtis Painter was a Heisman candidate then. Get your eyes tested for some glasses.
Best non sequitur I have seen on this forum outside of Coach Geese and some of the other clownpantzers. It should have been obvious I was talking about what CJB sees and knows about all the available QBs, not about what armchair duffers watching on tv imagine they know.

Care to try again, but with some semblance of logic?

Reactions: BBG
I agree with many of the arguments. I agree that I am not at practice. I don’t see what goes on behind closed doors. I don’t see the interactions going on with players and coaches.

Here is what I don’t understand still though. He was playing hurt. Maybe that was why he was off. George was hurt too, and he didn’t play. George is probably the biggest competitor on the team. If he could have played any and felt he could have helped the team, he would have come in. He obviously did not feel that was possible.

I don’t know where O’ Connell is hurt, but if he was hurt, he should have let someone else try or try for a little bit and say he did not have it and get ready and healthy for Minnesota. Brohm said in his press conference that they were considering putting Plummer in, since he can scramble and we had no running game last night. We were ineffective on the offensive side for most of the game, especially in the red zone.
Again great kid and big heart, but we were playing for a chance for a division title. We win last night and we had a favorable schedule to the end of the season. Now, I guess we are playing for top 3. I guess it was good that game at Wisconsin was canceled, because they would have destroyed us.

We need to regroup and beat Minnesota.

We're saying the same thing. This team should be significantly better on offense. Our defense is never going to be our strong point. But tonight our defense played well enough to win. We held NW to 27 points when the D was put in bad positions by the inept offense, especially O'Connell's fumble. With a better offense, the D probably only gives up 20 points.
Valid points Pat.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT