ADVERTISEMENT

O' Connell is not the answer

two questions.

is brohm saying AOC is a game time decision based on his performance in the last game while others are looking better in practice? or is it injury related?

second question. Who do you believe was the better Purdue QB ? Breese or Gresie ? I know who wins stats wise. But Greise has a Rose Bowl victory to his name - something no other Purdue QB can lay claim to. Greise's stats in the NFL weren't great either, but his mediocre stats produced a Super Bowl championship as well. and he's a Hall of famer despite his mediocre stats.

To me, QB stats are rather meaningless. growing up, I learned championships were far more important than stats. Given a choice of Unitas or Starr, I chose Starr. I didn't really care how great Unitas' stats were. Given a choice of Starr verses Favre or Rodgers, I still choose Starr.

Given a choice of wins over great stats, I choose wins. I don't care if a QB throws for 600 yards. if it's a loss, give me the guy who gets 150 yards and the win. Paul Horning won the Heisman trophy throwing for 5 TDs and 13 interceptions. Obviously the people that voted and knew something about football didn't care much about stats.

Ok, go back to your arguing. And NAT, sometimes you can be less than forthcoming in your replies You never divulge as much as you know. and that's sometimes very frustrating for people who cannot afford to be a paying customer.

and to me going 6-6 is nothing to brag about. Down here in Georgia, you get fired for that type of season. Unlike at Purdue where they give you extensions.

I went to Purdue in the 1960s. One thing was that Purdue often had very good national rankings including a temporary #1 and could play anyone on their schedule and win, including teams then ranked #1. I'll always be a Griese fan because he won that Rose Bowl in 1967 which I had the pleasure of seeing in person and quite a lot of other games. And I also enjoyed watching him on those Miami Dolphins teams with phenomenal records. Those Mollenkopf years were very good. (It's probably good that I spent 23 later years out of the country so I didn't have to see what Purdue football had become.) I don't think that any Purdue teams have been better since, and I hope that Brohm leads us back to national prominence.

Oh, when it comes to NFL quarterbacks, Montana will always be my favorite because I lived in the SF Bay area at that time, and he could deliver the important wins. And Jerry Rice is the epitome wide receiver. And growing up in Northern Illinois (and not in the Chicago area), I was a Green Bay Packer fan and loved Starr and their whole team. So, a lot of who I like as quarterback are the ones that delivered for me personally as a fan which Brees has never done.

two questions.

is brohm saying AOC is a game time decision based on his performance in the last game while others are looking better in practice? or is it injury related?

second question. Who do you believe was the better Purdue QB ? Breese or Gresie ? I know who wins stats wise. But Greise has a Rose Bowl victory to his name - something no other Purdue QB can lay claim to. Greise's stats in the NFL weren't great either, but his mediocre stats produced a Super Bowl championship as well. and he's a Hall of famer despite his mediocre stats.

To me, QB stats are rather meaningless. growing up, I learned championships were far more important than stats. Given a choice of Unitas or Starr, I chose Starr. I didn't really care how great Unitas' stats were. Given a choice of Starr verses Favre or Rodgers, I still choose Starr.

Given a choice of wins over great stats, I choose wins. I don't care if a QB throws for 600 yards. if it's a loss, give me the guy who gets 150 yards and the win. Paul Horning won the Heisman trophy throwing for 5 TDs and 13 interceptions. Obviously the people that voted and knew something about football didn't care much about stats.

Ok, go back to your arguing. And NAT, sometimes you can be less than forthcoming in your replies You never divulge as much as you know. and that's sometimes very frustrating for people who cannot afford to be a paying customer.

and to me going 6-6 is nothing to brag about. Down here in Georgia, you get fired for that type of season. Unlike at Purdue where they give you extensions.

1.) No one gets benched for no picks, two touchdowns, 260 yards and playing “decent.” It’s being able to perform in pain … again.

2.) I like Bob DeMoss, Dale Samuels, Len Dawson, Bernie Allen, Ron DiGravio, Bob Griese, Mike Phipps, Gary Danielson, Bo Brobowski, Mark Vitali (barely, due to a Co-Rec game), Craig Nagel, Mark Herrmann, Scott Campbell, Jim Everett, Jeff George (pre-mom), Doug Downing, Shawn McCarthy, Brian Fox, Eric Hunter, Rick Trefzger, Billy Dicken, Drew Brees, Brandon Hance, Kyle Orton, Brandon Kirsch, Curtis Painter, Joey Elliott, Rob Henry, Caleb TerBush, Robert Marve, Danny Etling, Austin Appleby, David Blough, Elijah Sindelar, Jack Plummer, Aidan O’Connell and anyone else Purdue puts on the field.

And I’ve seen every NFL quarterback since Y.A. Tittle, before he got bloodied.

But Drew Brees has performed best of all, both here and in the NFL. Ribs or not.

And if anyone were to throw for 600 yards and lose, the whole team needs to get kicked off the bus and walk home. With the defense carrying the bags.

Reactions: Zaphod_B
1.) No one gets benched for no picks, two touchdowns, 260 yards and playing “decent.” It’s being able to perform in pain … again.

2.) I like Bob DeMoss, Dale Samuels, Len Dawson, Bernie Allen, Ron DiGravio, Bob Griese, Mike Phipps, Gary Danielson, Bo Brobowski, Mark Vitali (barely, due to a Co-Rec game), Craig Nagel, Mark Herrmann, Scott Campbell, Jim Everett, Jeff George (pre-mom), Doug Downing, Shawn McCarthy, Brian Fox, Eric Hunter, Rick Trefzger, Billy Dicken, Drew Brees, Brandon Hance, Kyle Orton, Brandon Kirsch, Curtis Painter, Joey Elliott, Rob Henry, Caleb TerBush, Robert Marve, Danny Etling, Austin Appleby, David Blough, Elijah Sindelar, Jack Plummer, Aidan O’Connell and anyone else Purdue puts on the field.

And I’ve seen every NFL quarterback since Y.A. Tittle, before he got bloodied.

But Drew Brees has performed best of all, both here and in the NFL. Ribs or not.

And if anyone were to throw for 600 yards and lose, the whole team needs to get kicked off the bus and walk home. With the defense carrying the bags.
Fumbles get you benched though...

Reactions: purduepat1969
Almost only counts if you're playing horseshoes or throwing hand grenades..."Nuff said"

Since you want to give quarterbacks all the credit for team wins and losses, O’Connell is 2-1 this year, plus 2-2 last year, leaving him 4-3 overall. Plummer is 1-5 in career appearances, all last year, not including the win over Nebraska that O’Connell directed in come-from-behind relief. And Burton was 0-1 in his career starts for UCLA and 1-5 in all appearances. For two years, he was a DNP.

That gives O’Connell two times more wins than everyone else combined. And, according to so many ex-spurts here, winning is the only thing that matters.

No horseshoe. A boomerang. Boom.

Reactions: Beorik
Since you want to give quarterbacks all the credit for team wins and losses, O’Connell is 2-1 this year, plus 2-2 last year, leaving him 4-3 overall. Plummer is 1-5 in career appearances, all last year, not including the win over Nebraska that O’Connell directed in come-from-behind relief. And Burton was 0-1 in his career starts for UCLA and 1-5 in all appearances. For two years, he was a DNP.

That gives O’Connell two times more wins than everyone else combined. And, according to so many ex-spurts here, winning is the only thing that matters.

No horseshoe. A boomerang. Boom.
I wasn't really talking to you. And my post said nothing about a QB...

The defense and special teams lost this game. If you can't see that, I can't help you...

I’m throwing down the flag for a review of statements on quarterbacks “winning.”

Plummer had a great night until clutch time, then posted zeroes. His near-perfect first half netted 10 points, exactly what we scored when so many here bitched about O’Connell. Where we needed touchdowns because of our no-show defense, we got just one with two field-goal attempts. When The Flake handed us the game at his own 31, we got two misfires, starting with one straight into the dirt. When we got screwed, we gave up the clinching pick on the very next play.

Some who bitched about O’Connell above also attacked our own all-time great in the Brees thread, claiming “stats don’t matter, just wins.” If so, O’Connell is 4-3, Plummer is 1-6 and Burton is 1-5. The answer?

Plummer knows what it’s like being Brees. You can be near-perfect in accuracy, throw for scores and over 300 yards, but when your defense stinks, your coach makes some weak decisions (chip-shot FG at :06 with a timeout left) and the refs screw you, you can lose. Unlike Drew, when it mattered most, Jack air-mailed it.

We finally had all our weapons and finally used them, but we lost. Everyone lost.

How many times did the offense get to the red zone and then just stall? Those last 20 yards are what produces victories and defines a QB. The previous 80 yards are for fantasy stats geeks
When did they stall? They had two touchdown passes overturned. And 2 missed field goals...

I’m throwing down the flag for a review of statements on quarterbacks “winning.”

Plummer had a great night until clutch time, then posted zeroes. His near-perfect first half netted 10 points, exactly what we scored when so many here bitched about O’Connell. Where we needed touchdowns because of our no-show defense, we got just one with two field-goal attempts. When The Flake handed us the game at his own 31, we got two misfires, starting with one straight into the dirt. When we got screwed, we gave up the clinching pick on the very next play.

Some who bitched about O’Connell above also attacked our own all-time great in the Brees thread, claiming “stats don’t matter, just wins.” If so, O’Connell is 4-3, Plummer is 1-6 and Burton is 1-5. The answer?

Plummer knows what it’s like being Brees. You can be near-perfect in accuracy, throw for scores and over 300 yards, but when your defense stinks, your coach makes some weak decisions (chip-shot FG at :06 with a timeout left) and the refs screw you, you can lose. Unlike Drew, when it mattered most, Jack air-mailed it.

We finally had all our weapons and finally used them, but we lost. Everyone lost.
Umm, when you have 2 touchdown passes questionably overturned, losses happen...

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT