ADVERTISEMENT

Northwestern - Purdue Game Thread

How many more games does Brohm get out coached before the natives get really restless. This is year 4 for heavens sake...

listen he started bare cabinet - even Colletto left Tiller well stocked on OL & DL and that’s what takes the longest.

That’s why NW has been able to hang around, Fitzgerald has done a good job at replenishing lineman, same with Wisconsin (as Alverez is really a GM). IU, by going in-house after they fired Kevin was also able to maintain some development continuity.

This year I’m actually impressed so far with Diamaco - even playing vanilla with some new guys progress his being made.

Is it possible our recent recruiting class ratings were not very reflective of the talent that was collected? And that they were rated so high because we loaded the rating with players who all played the same position? WR? And rather than building that rating on recruiting a balanced team, it was not reflective of the talent assembled? I truly believe people loved our recruiting rating and became blinded about our glaring deficiencies that were never addressed. You can’t play ten 4 star receivers at the same time. What we really needed was elite players at other positions. WasNorthwestern’s recruiting even close to the ratings Purdue has has these past 3 years? Obviously, we’re either not developing the talent we have or we never had very many talented players to begin with. Beating Illinois is nothing to actually brag about. Hopefully Purdue regroups! I still don’t believe Brohm has proven to be worth the contract given him!

it’s all about the lines / Fitzgerald has a system in place for almost 15 years - Hazel left us dry

If you look back, We had our best season in brohm's first year with Hazell's recruits. I'm sorry to say, the cupboard was not as bare as many of you suggest. Blough and Sindelar were Hazell recruits as were bailey and Neal, and a few others.

and by those same reasoning. that was 4 years ago. Brohm has had the same opportunity to build his team as every other BIG 10 team. Look at IU and Minnesota. What was IU like when Allen arrived? Was he provided a lot more talent than brohm was provided?

4th and 5th year players will usually be better than 1st and 2nd year players in the big ten minus the guys who would be good anywhere. You’re seeing the same thing at Minnesota. This isn’t basketball where one guy can carry a team that’s awful everywhere else. There has still been significant progress this year I think and this is a pretty young team.

it’s all about the lines / Fitzgerald has a system in place for almost 15 years - Hazel left us dry
How long are we going to use the Hazell excuse? It's year 4 and 95% of the untalented Hazell recruits are gone. I guess Neal and Watt are some of those "bare" cupboards huh? If they're so bad, why are they still playing?

Reactions: Boiler8285
What was IU like when Allen arrived? Was he provided a lot more talent than brohm was provided?
Is this even a question? Just look at the ‘14, ‘15, and ‘16 recruiting classes. Wilson was bringing in twice the D1 level players as Hazell.

And one more time, for those in the back... Brohm patched holes big time with transfers in years 1 and 2 in order to win right away and get some recruiting momentum (which happened). But that approach also pushed out the rebuild timeline as it took scholarships away from HS recruits who would have been in this year’s junior and senior classes. Ergo, the roster is more talented and deeper, but still too young to outmatch physical teams.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT