ADVERTISEMENT

Northwestern - Purdue Game Thread

I'll call bullshit. Defense wasn't the problem. Offense was completely incompetent and it's not a "Rondale" thing. It's a coaching and QB thing. Brohm makes peculiar and erratic decisions with choosing a QB. It's going to end up costing him his job.
Difference between good and really good is slim. O’Connell was pressured and never really adjusted. Coaches didn’t help him much either.

Reactions: BBG
Purdue was fortunate to be in this game, at no time did I think the Boilers were going to win. Look, O'Connell is a nice story, probably a decent back up QB, however, Purdue isn't going to beat many good teams with him under center every Saturday. Time to start the UCLA transfer and see what he can do, O'Connell and Plumber aren't leading Purdue anywhere. Also, next off season Purdue needs to go the NW route and try to bring in a solid QB from another program.
we're too one dimensional and going 4 - 17 on 3rd downs.

I don't give a rats ass what you call. I'm not going to agree with you so I'm not going to bother arguing about it.
All you're doing is making excuses. Rain. Best players didn't play. It's year 4 for Brohm and his coaching and player development isn't great. He's being paid to produce. It's time to stop with the excuses.

Reactions: pu1985
This. Many times over. And if I am agreeing with lenny, that is saying something.

a player like Moore can make a player like OConnell look a lot better.
short easy throws and let him get the yards with his legs instead of relying on downfield throws.

Reactions: phila
This. Many times over. And if I am agreeing with lenny, that is saying something.
NU was missing a 1st round draft choice at LT who opted out replaced by a true freshman. They had their best DE and a starting safety opt out. Missing their 2 starting DTs to injury. You’re not the only team missing some of their best players.

Reactions: Katatonic
All you're doing is making excuses. Rain. Best players didn't play. It's year 4 for Brohm and his coaching and player development isn't great. He's being paid to produce. It's time to stop with the excuses.
I made no excuses about the rain I was simply pointing it out. If you're going to bring up something at least try to do it in context. Your judgement is clouded because you don't handle losing or adversity very well at all.

Difference between good and really good is slim. O’Connell was pressured and never really adjusted. Coaches didn’t help him much either.
LMAO. We weren't even close to being good. We have two dynamic play makers and their names are Bell and Wright. Beyond that, we choose to play slow and predictable instead of talent. We make excuses that young talent isn't "ready" to play in this "complicated" and "dynamic" offense. It's a sad display of coaching.

Reactions: NVboiler
I made no excuses about the rain I was simply pointing it out. If you're going to bring up something at least try to do it in context. Your judgement is clouded because you don't handle losing or adversity very well at all.
I handle adversity just fine. I just choose not to make excuses and tell it like it is. Some people don't like it. But that's their issue, not mine.

I feel pretty good that we beat them with Karlaftis and Moore, but yeah they were very clearly the better team tonight
That's different, maybe the change the outcome, who knows. Look, Purdue needs a damn QB already, OC is fine for a backup, probably the same with Horvath who has lots of heart, however, we're not beating top tier teams with walkons at these positions.

Reactions: purduepat1969
we're too one dimensional and going 4 - 17 on 3rd downs.
Agree, we are one dimensional. Our passing vs rushing plays says it. I think this is where a dual threat qb would help and why so many teams are doing it. I would at least like a QB that can get out of the pocket without a sack.

Reactions: Boiler8285
Again, in the BT, if your starting RB and QB are former walk ons, that normally is not a formula for winning football. They are nice feel good stories, but not going to win you the division.
I’ve actually been impressed with Horvath but you’re right. With an offensive coach like Brohm, if two of your most important skill position players are walk one, that’s an issue.

NU was missing a 1st round draft choice at LT who opted out replaced by a true freshman. They had their best DE and a starting safety opt out. Missing their 2 starting DTs to injury. You’re not the only team missing some of their best players.
Yep, you're exactly right. This board likes to make excuses...

LMAO. We weren't even close to being good. We have two dynamic play makers and their names are Bell and Wright. Beyond that, we choose to play slow and predictable instead of talent. We make excuses that young talent isn't "ready" to play in this "complicated" and "dynamic" offense. It's a sad display of coaching.
Agree with last sentence. Going to give NW credit. They will be representing B1G West.

I handle adversity just fine. I just choose not to make excuses and tell it like it is. Some people don't like it. But that's their issue, not mine.
Sorry this thread alone shows you don't handle adversity well at all. You're the same way during basketball season too so it's nothing new.

Either way not going to argue about it like I said as it's a waste of time and effort.

Reactions: Beorik

No excuses. Congratulations on your win. You guys have a tough defense. I thought we fought hard but came up short today. Good luck with the rest of your season.

Reactions: Katatonic
Sorry this thread alone shows you don't handle adversity well at all. You're the same way during basketball season too so it's nothing new.

Either not going to argue about it like I said as it's a waste of time and effort.
If you're OK with losing that's great. I'm not.

Let's be honest. Moore is probably not coming back. If we won tonight, he might have. We were still playing for the BT West. What would he be playing for now? He now has more to lose than gain coming back now. I would love to be wrong about this, but probably not.

We need to stop using the Rondale thing as a reason we're losing. We have PLENTY of talent at WR. Our QB play was horrible tonight and our offense in the first half was pathetic and predictable.

I get what you're saying Pat.....my point of frustration was just acknowledging Rondale Moore not being able to play. It's not meant or wasn't meant to be an excuse - there's still talented players who can step up - tough night tonight and not CJB's best game. However, you don't just replace an AA like him either.....this team would be better with him playing, IMO....that's all I was trying to say. I give the Boilers credit for hanging tough and making some stops when they needed it....hopefully, it serves them well down the line.

Yep, you're exactly right. This board likes to make excuses...
God you are such a whiner. I mean I was semi joking earlier when I called you out, but it's true. You're just one whiny little girl. Do you cry this much when your mom takes your binky from you?

AOC did not play well. As was pointed out earlier, Brohm was willing to pull Blough and Sindelar pretty quickly if they were having a bad game. My only conclusion is that Plummer is a major disappointment to the staff.

Last edited:
I get what you're saying Pat.....my point of frustration was just acknowledging Rondale Moore not being able to play. It's not meant or wasn't meant to be an excuse - there's still talented players who can step up - tough night tonight and not CJB's best game. However, you don't just replace an AA like him either.....this team would be better with him playing, IMO....that's all I was trying to say. I give the Boilers credit for hanging tough and making some stops when they needed it....hopefully, it serves them well down the line.

Couldn’t agree more. Would have loved to win but proud of the effort in hanging with what I think is a very good NW team who looks like they will be playing in the BT championship now. Very few teams win them all.

AOC did not play well. As was pointed out earlier, Brohm was willing to pull Blough and Sindelar pretty quickly if they were having bad game. My only conclusion is that Plummer is a major disappointment to the staff.

I agree it wasn’t his best game. The fumble was particularly hurtful. But he made some pretty amazing throws as well. I am shocked he didn’t throw an int throwing more than 50 times into incredibly tight coverage. That was as tight of coverage as I remember seeing against us in a long time. I give NW a lot of credit even though I saw a lot of jersey pulls.

Lets get this next one! We are still 2-1 in conference. We can still have a good year!

Reactions: phila and BBG

Dude.. if your dbs didn’t grab on for dear life you would have lost that game by a TD

Purdue is still a really young team man. We lose one starter on offense and four on defense, 2-3 of whom are addition by subtraction..

We will see next year with your double fisting dB who thinks he’s Deion Sanders

Dude.. if your dbs didn’t grab on for dear life you would have lost that game by a TD

Purdue is still a really young team man. We lose one starter on offense and four on defense, 2-3 of whom are addition by subtraction..

We will see next year with your double fisting dB who thinks he’s Deion Sanders
Keep making excuses. Just keep them on your board and stop infecting ours with them.

Keep making excuses. Just keep them on your board and stop infecting ours with them.

Go f yourself.. get the **** off our board with your wanna be holding dB who is getting a reality check in the nfl. I can’t wait to see that mfers face when officials are like “yeah dude not even close.” You can’t put one finger on a receiver in the league.

Not an excuse. Next year we are gonna do what we did last year

I'm sure I'm in the minority on this, but I dislike artificial turf. IIRC, way back in the days of the actual Big Ten, there was a period where Purdue was the only conference school with a natural grass field.
I think we play better on it. The cuts are crisper, the footing is better, look faster. I see alot of slipping in tonight's game.

Go f yourself.. get the **** off our board with your wanna be holding dB who is getting a reality check in the nfl. I can’t wait to see that mfers face when officials are like “yeah dude not even close.” You can’t put one finger on a receiver in the league.

Not an excuse. Next year we are gonna do what we did last year
Classy. Best of luck to the rest of the Boiler fans this year.

Classy. Best of luck to the rest of the Boiler fans this year.

Hey don’t talk shit if you can’t handle it back. Your corners are really classy while no one is talking to them. I’d think you’d be ashamed of their Andre rison routine

Is it possible our recent recruiting class ratings were not very reflective of the talent that was collected? And that they were rated so high because we loaded the rating with players who all played the same position? WR? And rather than building that rating on recruiting a balanced team, it was not reflective of the talent assembled? I truly believe people loved our recruiting rating and became blinded about our glaring deficiencies that were never addressed. You can’t play ten 4 star receivers at the same time. What we really needed was elite players at other positions. WasNorthwestern’s recruiting even close to the ratings Purdue has has these past 3 years? Obviously, we’re either not developing the talent we have or we never had very many talented players to begin with. Beating Illinois is nothing to actually brag about. Hopefully Purdue regroups! I still don’t believe Brohm has proven to be worth the contract given him!

Reactions: Boiler8285
Is it possible our recent recruiting class ratings were not very reflective of the talent that was collected? And that they were rated so high because we loaded the rating with players who all played the same position? WR? And rather than building that rating on recruiting a balanced team, it was not reflective of the talent assembled? I truly believe people loved our recruiting rating and became blinded about our glaring deficiencies that were never addressed. You can’t play ten 4 star receivers at the same time. What we really needed was elite players at other positions. WasNorthwestern’s recruiting even close to the ratings Purdue has has these past 3 years? Obviously, we’re either not developing the talent we have or we never had very many talented players to begin with. Beating Illinois is nothing to actually brag about. Hopefully Purdue regroups! I still don’t believe Brohm has proven to be worth the contract given him!

The receivers blew except for Bell and anthrop

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT