ADVERTISEMENT

Northwestern Not in a Tournament

arcb102000

All-American
Aug 27, 2006
I am surprised. I would think that they were deserving of a NIT berth, or even one fo the lesser tourneys.

I don't follow the NIT or the "lesser tournaments" but don't teams have to be .500 or better. Mildcats were 15-17.

NIT yes. One of the other ones has a losing record team I think. I was surprised Minny didn't get an NIT bid.

Yeah, Illinois was the only conference team selected, and as a #3 seed. Could get a re-match with Miami after the controversial NCAA tournament game two years ago....interesting bracket for that one.

Also, NIT games are experimenting with a 30-second shot clock and a larger four-foot restricted arc.

Originally posted by arcb102000:
I am surprised. I would think that they were deserving of a NIT berth, or even one fo the lesser tourneys.
That's too bad. They have some talent and the B1G seemed a bit down this year.

Gemstate, a 0.500 frecord used to be a requirement for selection but that is no longer the case. Given how well they played down the streth in the B1G, I am sorry that they did not get a bid.

As for Minny, they won the NIT last year. Only one team has won it in consecutive years in recent memory. I am also surprised they did not get a bid.

Yeah now that rings a bell. Has the NIT ever taken a less than 500 team? Seems like that was a maybe for us or some other team in the last couple years but if I remember they never did it or did they?

Penn State isn't playing in a postseason tournament, either. Given how they finished the year, I thought maybe Chambers and/or the AD would swallow some pride and let them play in the CBI or CIT.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT