ADVERTISEMENT

Nobody talking about our defense

PBoiler84

Redshirt Freshman
Feb 16, 2004
My opinion, our defense out on the arc is poor. IU exposed it. Iowa did twice. Fricking Illinois. We semi-guard the guys on the arc man to man and then we swing another guy over to "double team" who we kinda think may shoot which then leads to them passing to the guy with the OPEN 3 POINT SHOT attempt. Good shooting teams like IU kill us when we leave them open like that. Don't double team. Play straight up man to man on the arc.

Agree 100%. The turnovers and cold shooting draughts are frustrating, but our perimeter defense has struggled all year. The inability to pressure the ball and the passing lanes allows other teams to do whatever they want against us.

My opinion, our defense out on the arc is poor. IU exposed it. Iowa did twice. Fricking Illinois. We semi-guard the guys on the arc man to man and then we swing another guy over to "double team" who we kinda think may shoot which then leads to them passing to the guy with the OPEN 3 POINT SHOT attempt. Good shooting teams like IU kill us when we leave them open like that. Don't double team. Play straight up man to man on the arc.
Poor is an understatement. Awful more apt. If Northwestern was not abysmal shooting they would have won too with the open looks. Team plays with no heart/hustle.

Agree 100%. The turnovers and cold shooting draughts are frustrating, but our perimeter defense has struggled all year. The inability to pressure the ball and the passing lanes allows other teams to do whatever they want against us.
This hedgeing d drives me batty. I don't understand how the coaching staff looks at the tape and sees this. Time after time in many games, there are way too many open shots because one guy will hedge over to help. In my opinion Purdue should play some zone. I don't know why that is such a 4-lettered word to Purdue. How easy is it for opposing coaches to game plan for Purdue. Strictly man-man with hedging game after game after game. Please come into the new century and mix it up! Zone d helps hide some guys liabilities and helps out others ( what that damn hedging is supposed to do I guess) We could have gone 3-2 on all these smaller teams but alas we are purdue and we settle for these performances all the time.

Reactions: BandofBoilers
Purdue has not evolved with the rule changes and the culture. The game is being driven more and more towards an NBA style. I don't like that, but it's the way it is. Purdue has not adjusted to this. I was never a big Bryson Scott fan, but I do understand why he left. I know he has regrets about leaving because Purdue is a great school and the basketball program is a solid family. He knew he was going to be put on a leash and he didn't like it. He wasn't a good shooter and he turned the ball over a lot, but he was only a freshman. I think if he and Painter could have worked out their differences,both sides would have benefited in the long run.

Reactions: skfboiler
When the opposing team is quicker and more athletic than we are at 4 out of 5 positions on the floor, we struggle on offense and, yes, defense. More help is needed when there are attempts to penetrate, which leads to open 3's & other breakdowns, and IU capitalized on a lot of those opportunities. I agree this is a scenario that Bryson could have helped us avoid, but not really useful to talk about that.

Carsen E will help next year. As far as this year, I think Ray's & Caleb's minutes should decrease some, and Dakota's and Ryan's should increase some.

Reactions: BandofBoilers
Our perimeter D is not that bad, its just recognition of who the shooter is and scouting. you can't leave Beilfeldt (or however you spell his name) open all the time. Yea, at Michigan when we used to play them, he never hit jack crap from out there, in fact, i cant remember him taking shots from out there, i dont think he had a green light. But you have to scout him as a damn Hoosier, NOT A WOLVERINE.

Defense was fine. Purdue actually shot the ball much better than IU, the difference was turnovers on offense. A lot of the open threes they hit were from guys that rarely shoot 3s (Morgan, Bielfeldt, etc).

Reactions: tjreese
Defense was fine. Purdue actually shot the ball much better than IU, the difference was turnovers on offense. A lot of the open threes they hit were from guys that rarely shoot 3s (Morgan, Bielfeldt, etc).
ugh...I think you usually want Williams to shoot the three as well, but yes I think you hit on a lot of good points. Only will add that IU played harder for more of the game

Reactions: snowsquirrel11

Bielfeldt and Morgan accounted for 3 of the 12 IU made 3s, so not really a lot. And you can't just let guys shoot with no one within 10 feet of them. Yogi started 3-3, and all of them came with no one anywhere near him. Williams hit 2 with no one in the same area code. We forced just 4 turnovers from the team that leads the league in turning it over, so I would have a hard time saying he defense was fine.

Bielfeldt and Morgan accounted for 3 of the 12 IU made 3s, so not really a lot. And you can't just let guys shoot with no one within 10 feet of them. Yogi started 3-3, and all of them came with no one anywhere near him. Williams hit 2 with no one in the same area code. We forced just 4 turnovers from the team that leads the league in turning it over, so I would have a hard time saying he defense was fine.

I do think you want those 5 threes made by Williams, Bielfeldt and Morgan to be taken more often than not. 15 points by people not typically known to be "shooters" does come as a surprise somewhat don't you think? I mean if you are on them, you are not elsewhere on what may more often be a threat. turnovers by Purdue were huge and led directly to points for IU many times. Those were all mental mistakes by Purdue by not being sharp...as are almost all turnovers. I think the real factor here is that IU played harder and wanted it more for more of the game. Shoot fans were outside at 10 AM. Crean had never beaten Purdue without a Zeller and they were playing for something. They outworked Purdue, put more into it than Purdue and Purdue loss as a result. Give IU credit for playing as hard as they did and a little disappointment towards Purdue for not having an urgency about the game.

If Purdue plays IU again, I expect Purdue to play harder and will not be quite as backed off (Yogi effect?) on some of the shooters as they were, but they are going to prefer they shoot the three ball more often than not I suspect from those people. Defense was not solid due to effort and IU had some people hitting the 3 ball you may want to shoot most the time...I think if Purdue only matches the intensity of IU, the game is different even though we can all point to many things that could be different....THAT was controllable.

Reactions: snowsquirrel11
I do think you want those 5 threes made by Williams, Bielfeldt and Morgan to be taken more often than not. 15 points by people not typically known to be "shooters" does come as a surprise somewhat don't you think? I mean if you are on them, you are not elsewhere on what may more often be a threat. turnovers by Purdue were huge and led directly to points for IU many times. Those were all mental mistakes by Purdue by not being sharp...as are almost all turnovers. I think the real factor here is that IU played harder and wanted it more for more of the game. Shoot fans were outside at 10 AM. Crean had never beaten Purdue without a Zeller and they were playing for something. They outworked Purdue, put more into it than Purdue and Purdue loss as a result. Give IU credit for playing as hard as they did and a little disappointment towards Purdue for not having an urgency about the game.

If Purdue plays IU again, I expect Purdue to play harder and will not be quite as backed off (Yogi effect?) on some of the shooters as they were, but they are going to prefer they shoot the three ball more often than not I suspect from those people. Defense was not solid due to effort and IU had some people hitting the 3 ball you may want to shoot most the time...I think if Purdue only matches the intensity of IU, the game is different even though we can all point to many things that could be different....THAT was controllable.

Those guys aren't high volume shooters from outside, but they knock them down when they get open opportunities. Bielfeldt is 43% from 3 on the year. Williams is 33%, which obviously isn't very good, but our best shooter from 3 percentage wise with any volume is Edwards at just 39%. You just can't leave guys completely unguarded. You just can't. Unless, of course, you're playing vs us. I do completely agree though that we didn't want it and they did, and that was why we lost. I can't understand the lack of passion and desire. This team is just so complacent it makes me sick.

Reactions: echs86
I will say that it has been surprising to see this team play with no heart or hustle. This is pretty much the same team as last year with two new freshmen, J-Hill, and no Octeus. The team last year won with defense, heart, and hustle. Now the same team is lacking all three. How does that happen? That is the most frustrating thing about this team.

3 of 12 is 25%, also 9 points, which is a lot all things considered. Yogi's first three was made with PJ's hand in his face (Yogi missed all 4 of his 3s after that btw), so I know you didn't fact check before making that statement. Williams is a 33% shooter, so yes we want him taking threes rather than driving and scoring/dishing. Everyone knew IU was going to hit some 3s, that was not the reason Purdue lost. Turnovers and poor rebounding were, however. Particularly when IU would miss a long 3 and then get an offensive rebound.

3 of 12 is 25%, also 9 points, which is a lot all things considered. Yogi's first three was made with PJ's hand in his face (Yogi missed all 4 of his 3s after that btw), so I know you didn't fact check before making that statement. Williams is a 33% shooter, so yes we want him taking threes rather than driving and scoring/dishing. Everyone knew IU was going to hit some 3s, that was not the reason Purdue lost. Turnovers and poor rebounding were, however. Particularly when IU would miss a long 3 and then get an offensive rebound.

A 43% 3 pt shooter made 2 of 5. Morgan made 1 absolutely wide open look. Williams made 2, which were essentially long free throws with how open he was. I was very aware that Yogi missed his last 4, which was why I was specific to his first 3 in my post. I don't remember him hitting one with a hand in his face. His first was from the far corner and he was wide open.

Honestly, without Hammons protecting the rim, we would not be good inside the arc either.

A 43% 3 pt shooter made 2 of 5. Morgan made 1 absolutely wide open look. Williams made 2, which were essentially long free throws with how open he was. I was very aware that Yogi missed his last 4, which was why I was specific to his first 3 in my post. I don't remember him hitting one with a hand in his face. His first was from the far corner and he was wide open.
No, he wasn't wide open on his first three in the corner, PJ was late because he was screened, but had a hand in his face.

I'll talk about it. Ray Davis gave us 34 minutes of nothing. I really don't get it. He didn't score and our defense sucked. Why was it necessary to play 34 minutes...coach?!?!?!

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT