ADVERTISEMENT

No to DC from Major Program??

Feb 7, 2007
First, before I get to my question/concern, thanks to those of you that responded to my thread about what position Yanni K will play. Since I've never seen him play, that was helpful.

Second, I am very hesitant to strongly consider (not that Brohm will ever ask my opinion) a DC fired from a major program due to recent defensive struggles. Diaco is a good example of this. However, 2 more recent examples are Don Brown at Michigan and Bo Pelini at LSU. These 2 teams pull in better quality recruits on both sides of the ball than Purdue will ever get. Despite that, both teams experienced significant drop off in defensive quality. Some of this may also reflect on the Head Coaches. I don't have great respect for either Orgeron or Harbaugh. Of the 2 DC's, Pelini would at least fire up the defense. I don't expect him to be satisfied as a DC at Purdue though.

As mentioned by others on here, why not consider a young and hot DC from a smaller school that has more than one season of success as a DC. A younger DC would be able to relate to the players better and would hopefully think and plan outside of the box. For Purdue's defense to be successful they have to be unpredictable and take chances. Thoughts?

Last edited:
www.sbnation.com/platform/amp/college-football/2018/11/13/18068258/michigan-defense-don-brown

I really like Don Brown or Dr. Blitz as he's known.
He's one of the most creative coaches in college football and had one of the top ranked defenses until this past season.
I’m not going to study MI and Don Brown. I will say they have had a steady decline during Harbaugh’s tenure. That is enough to pass on for me.

I like brown. he was obviously a scapegoat for Michigan's losing season. rather than fire Harbaugh, they fired his DC. Somebody mentioned Michigan is declining. while that may be true, Michigan at it's worst is still better than purdue at its all time best. Before this year, Michigan had a top 5 defense for the past 3+ years under brown. That's not top 5 in the BIG 100. That's top 5 in all of college football.

Two things i like about brown. Players want to play for him. he's an outstanding recruiter. just think if purdue could have somebody with his recruiting ability on defense. Just think if purdue could annually sign 4-5 4 star athletes on defense! And he not only recruits elite athletes, he also develops them . Look at Gary.

The other point about brown is that he may be experienced, but he is still creative. He will be able to change his defense, and also "ADJUST" during half time.

Lastly, to the original question. i believe it would be a mistake to hire a young coach with not much experience. I look at frost at Nebraska. he looked like a tremendous hire. But what worked for him at florida atlantic or where ever he was from, clearly is not working for him at nebraska. he is in over his head. Purdue desperately needs somebody with knowledge and experience in beating BIG 10 and power 5 teams. purdue desperately needs an experienced DC in order that brohm can dedicate his time to offense and not worry about defense. You could tell Diaco was gone when brohm said he was going to help out his defensive coaching planning.

Can purdue afford brown? They felt they could afford brohm's extension.

I like brown. he was obviously a scapegoat for Michigan's losing season. rather than fire Harbaugh, they fired his DC. Somebody mentioned Michigan is declining. while that may be true, Michigan at it's worst is still better than purdue at its all time best. Before this year, Michigan had a top 5 defense for the past 3+ years under brown. That's not top 5 in the BIG 100. That's top 5 in all of college football.

Two things i like about brown. Players want to play for him. he's an outstanding recruiter. just think if purdue could have somebody with his recruiting ability on defense. Just think if purdue could annually sign 4-5 4 star athletes on defense! And he not only recruits elite athletes, he also develops them . Look at Gary.

The other point about brown is that he may be experienced, but he is still creative. He will be able to change his defense, and also "ADJUST" during half time.

Lastly, to the original question. i believe it would be a mistake to hire a young coach with not much experience. I look at frost at Nebraska. he looked like a tremendous hire. But what worked for him at florida atlantic or where ever he was from, clearly is not working for him at nebraska. he is in over his head. Purdue desperately needs somebody with knowledge and experience in beating BIG 10 and power 5 teams. purdue desperately needs an experienced DC in order that brohm can dedicate his time to offense and not worry about defense. You could tell Diaco was gone when brohm said he was going to help out his defensive coaching planning.

Don Brown is 65 going on 66 years old. After this gig at Michigan, he’s more likely to retire than anything else. So great, try to hire a generally excellent DC who is in the twilight of his career and who you’d maybe have for a couple of seasons if he even decided to continue coaching.....

• Sad
Reactions: Inspector100
Don Brown is 65 going on 66 years old. After this gig at Michigan, he’s more likely to retire than anything else. So great, try to hire a generally excellent DC who is in the twilight of his career and who you’d maybe have for a couple of seasons if he even decided to continue coaching.....
With respect to Brown or most anyone else, most people want to leave on their own. He may still want to coach rather than remembering he was canned from his last job. It makes one very bitter to go out on those terms.

With respect to Brown or most anyone else, most people want to leave on their own. He may still want to coach rather than remembering he was canned from his last job. It makes one very bitter to go out on those terms.

And if he loves coaching then why retire? I'm older and I have no intention of retiring because I love what I do. I tap dance to work every day.

His agent put out a statement that's he's looking for another job and not retiring. He's got a lot left in the tank

I like it the way @nat100 said it. If we recruited to 15 talent yeah you go with brown. If yanni was being joined by CB Jason Marshall and DT Leonard Taylor then yeah maybe brown ... but yanni is probably the only kid on this class who will see the field this fall

and what age was our president and the guy you just voted for to run our country the next 4 years ? Surely if a guy 75+ years old can run a country for 4 years, we can hire a 66 year old coach to run our defense for 5- 10 years . A Dc usually doesn't stay with one team much longer than 5 years.

I get kind of annoyed that people say coaches are old but have no problems with voting for much older people to run our country.

my mother in law worked at a Purdue cancer research lab until she was 80 years old. She was just as good at 80 as she was at 40.

and what age was our president and the guy you just voted for to run our country the next 4 years ? Surely if a guy 75+ years old can run a country for 4 years, we can hire a 66 year old coach to run our defense for 5- 10 years . A Dc usually doesn't stay with one team much longer than 5 years.

I get kind of annoyed that people say coaches are old but have no problems with voting for much older people to run our country.
We have no clue at this moment if he can run the country. I’ll leave it at that.

Comparing the President to a College DC is specious at best. Completely different jobs and responsibilities.

If you think Don Brown is going to coach another 10 years I’ve got some swamp land to sell you in Arizona.

Reactions: BBG

I could recruit to Michigan. Just saying.

Reactions: ImRonBurgandy?
First, before I get to my question/concern, thanks to those of you that responded to my thread about what position Yanni K will play. Since I've never seen him play, that was helpful.

Second, I am very hesitant to strongly consider (not that Brohm will ever ask my opinion) a DC fired from a major program due to recent defensive struggles. Diaco is a good example of this. However, 2 more recent examples are Don Brown at Michigan and Bo Pelini at LSU. These 2 teams pull in better quality recruits on both sides of the ball than Purdue will ever get. Despite that, both teams experienced significant drop off in defensive quality. Some of this may also reflect on the Head Coaches. I don't have great respect for either Orgeron or Harbaugh. Of the 2 DC's, Pelini would at least fire up the defense. I don't expect him to be satisfied as a DC at Purdue though.

As mentioned by others on here, why not consider a young and hot DC from a smaller school that has more than one season of success as a DC. A younger DC would be able to relate to the players better and would hopefully think and plan outside of the box. For Purdue's defense to be successful they have to be unpredictable and take chances. Thoughts?
Watching Freeman with Cincy and love the aggressiveness, but as always, you need the players for the system to work in the league you play in.

Reactions: Lifetimebooler1
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT