ADVERTISEMENT

A few football observations

Matt Tiger

All-American
Gold Member
Jun 30, 2018
I have been thinking all week long about the 34 to 7 thumping the Gophers put on MSU at Spartan Stadium last Saturday.Jeff Brohm is in his sixth year at the helm of Purdues football program and I dont recall the Boilermakers ever being beaten that bad by a conference foe in Ross Ade Stadium.with Brohm coaching.Of course Mel Tucker has that ten year contract guaranteeing him 95 million.Can you imagine how much complaining there would be on this board if Brohm were in the exact same situation Tucker is in now?Wow! Also,I wonder if this Gopher team is Minnys best since 1960?I dont really remember that team,but they had two future NFL Hall of Famers at the defensive end spots in Carl Eller and Bobby Bell.I am surprised that Saturdays game isnt sold out.Maybe thats because many Twin City football fans buy Viking tickets instead of Gopher tickets

I think Mel caught lightning in a bottle with last years MSU team. Thorne isn't that good at QB but when you have a Hesiman level RB and a really good OL it helps a ton.

MSU has some talent, but so does Minnesota and especially Washington (they recruit better than most of the B1G) with a really good HC, Deboer.

I have been thinking all week long about the 34 to 7 thumping the Gophers put on MSU at Spartan Stadium last Saturday.Jeff Brohm is in his sixth year at the helm of Purdues football program and I dont recall the Boilermakers ever being beaten that bad by a conference foe in Ross Ade Stadium.with Brohm coaching.Of course Mel Tucker has that ten year contract guaranteeing him 95 million.Can you imagine how much complaining there would be on this board if Brohm were in the exact same situation Tucker is in now?Wow! Also,I wonder if this Gopher team is Minnys best since 1960?I dont really remember that team,but they had two future NFL Hall of Famers at the defensive end spots in Carl Eller and Bobby Bell.I am surprised that Saturdays game isnt sold out.Maybe thats because many Twin City football fans buy Viking tickets instead of Gopher tickets

If O'Connell doesn't play, don't be surprised if the beatdown of Purdue is worse than 34-7...

While all hell is breaking loose around our team most notably injuries, I believe it may be their finest hour. That says a lot considering the Purdue vs TN game last season may have been the peak.

Purdue 28
MN 24

Everyone including myself believe it should be a loss. MN will be overconfident and if Purdue can stay focused and NO DUMB penalties, it can be close. This game can turn the season around. That is what I'm hopeful for and would love to see us compete & beat them.

Boiler Up & Just Win Baby!

I'm aways a believer in that Purdue can win every game, which the OSU game a few years ago shows. Then as we get L's, my expectations decline, but still hope for more of those W's and a good season. If you don't believe you can win, you won't.

While all hell is breaking loose around our team most notably injuries, I believe it may be their finest hour. That says a lot considering the Purdue vs TN game last season may have been the peak.

Purdue 28
MN 24

Everyone including myself believe it should be a loss. MN will be overconfident and if Purdue can stay focused and NO DUMB penalties, it can be close. This game can turn the season around. That is what I'm hopeful for and would love to see us compete & beat them.

Boiler Up & Just Win Baby!
the only way they wind up w/ 24 pts is if they have 3 or 4 TO's, which we aren't good at making

ADVERTISEMENT