ADVERTISEMENT

Be a Head Coach, Not an OC

purduepat1969

All-American
Sep 28, 2011
I shamelessly copied this rant from another because I think it concisely explains exactly how I feel about Brohm's coaching so far this season:

"The officiating was absolutely horrendous today. The guy who pulled the flag a full 5 seconds after the whistle should be investigated. Completely unacceptable all day.

Now that that's out of the way, our head coach was even more unacceptable. Miss me with the excuses, Scott Frost would be proud of that effort today. We started out the day rushing to the line into a bland 4th down dive because we were worried about a 12 yard pass being overturned, and the coaching went downhill from there. Brohm needs to get his damn head out of his call sheet and be an actual HEAD COACH, not an offensive coordinator with a bigger paycheck. Hell, he's borderline a QB coach with the state of the running game. Coach up the serial discipline issues (instead of JOINING IN? SERIOUSLY?). Don't send Sullivan right back in the field 1 play after a late hit that extends a drive. Fix the details. Capitalize on opportunities instead of blowing our feet off repeatedly. Manage the clock and the game. Get and keep a DC smart enough not to be in press cover one with 13 seconds on the clock from the 25.

We outgained Cuse 485 to 305 and lost. Purdue should have won this game in a walk, but they beat themselves over and over and over again. Great job OC, embarrassing job HC. Brohm is only doing one of those jobs, and it's costing us games. Repeatedly. Admitedly some guys can do both, but Brohm has shown he's not that guy. Trust your own literal goddamn brother with the play sheet and do the job actually listed on your business cards."

Honestly, and I know this is going to come across as a hot take following a tough loss, but I’ve said it before. I think Brian, with his demeanor, has a chance to be a better head coach.

If Jeff so badly wants to call the plays and run the offense, let Brian manage the game.

Honestly, and I know this is going to come across as a hot take following a tough loss, but I’ve said it before. I think Brian, with his demeanor, has a chance to be a better head coach.

If Jeff so badly wants to call the plays and run the offense, let Brian manage the game.

Hey someone jumped all over me last week saying if Brohm leaves we should hire Brian.

And I sure wish we had Kalen DeBoer. A couple of us for a couple of years have been commenting on how impressive he was and what a great head coach he would make. Michigan State is experiencing that tonight.

Reactions: purduepat1969

I thought that might be a little crazy 3 weeks ago. But I'm not so sure anymore. Something has got to change. And if Jeff isn't smart enough to recognize it or too stubborn to take action, Bobinski needs to force it. The B1G, including Purdue, is getting paid big bucks in TV contracts to put a good product on the field. Today was utterly embarrassing for Purdue, and in essence for the B1G, especially considering those were B1G officials on the field.

I’ve said that before and it gets you smacked around on here. But it’s true and is kinda easy to see

Good call, he needs to swallow his pride and coach the entire team. Let the OC gig go, which may be the hardest thing he has done. God only knows he needs to be the head coach of special teams and defense also after this loss. Perfect example is the new bears HC, gave up calling the defense to be a head coach. Too early to tell but I like what I see so far w/Eberflus.

Reactions: Boiler8285
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT