ADVERTISEMENT

No sniping please

Chi-Boiler

All-American
May 8, 2010
Serious question:

Are there any more 2019 recruits that we are in on or flat-out available?

Let's have a modicum of civility though please!

We are technically only on Brooks but don't think there is a shot.

Would assume we take a look at the transfer market.

Reactions: BoilerIron
Serious question:

At risk of setting someone off, Keion Brooks is technically still available. Looks like Purdue is one the outside looking in, but Biggie taught me never to count someone out until they've signed their LOI.

According to 247, the only other uncommitted player that we've offered is Isaiah Stewart - we've been out on him for a while.

Depending on what Nojel does (whether or not he's ready), I could see Painter going for a grad transfer at PG. Would love another wing but I'd rather not bury someone if Painter isn't going to play them.

Reactions: ChoiceBeef
Serious question:

CB already posted Brooks. Very doubtful on him. 247 has 2-3 targets listed, most likely not much interest.

Wonder if Gillis can play next yr.

Does the fact that Brooks looks at Purdue and sees an empty spotlight and says......”naw, I’ll pass” depress anybody else?

Reactions: BoilerIron
"Depending onwhat Nojel does (whether or not he's ready)"

I'm fairly confident he's not ready

It hasn't been officially announced, but Brooks has already told IU of his intentions. What he's waiting on i have no idea??

More $$$??

Maybe Mack makes a move for him.

Brooks joins the already crowded field of IU power forwards. Seems like that groups is getting pretty large. I am not sure there will be enough basketballs or court time to go around.

Let's see if I got this right. Power forwards at or going to IU:
2016: Davis
2017: Smith, Thompson, Moore
2018 : Hunter, Anderson, Forrester
2019: Brooks, TJD

Last edited:
Brooks joins the already crowded field of IU power forwards. Seems like that groups is getting pretty large. I am not sure there will be enough basketballs or court time to go around.
Losing Morgan and Fitzner. Adding TJD and Brooks. Two forwards out and two forwards in.

Losing Morgan and Fitzner. Adding TJD and Brooks. Two forwards out and two forwards in.
Thought Fitzner was the center. I am probably wrong. Haven't been following IU that closely.

I edited my original post on the subject while you were posting. I count 9 players in the forward position.

Thought Fitzner was the center. I am probably wrong. Haven't been following IU that closely.
Fitzner is a center, but I thought you were lumping all bigs together since you called TJD a power forward. He is a center as well.

Fitzner is a center, but I thought you were lumping all bigs together since you called TJD a power forward. He is a center as well.
Thanks, I figured I might be off. So it is 8 forwards next year.

However, at 6'8", TJD is going to be too short for a center. He looks more like a PF to me.

We've had this discussion before, and the front court really isn't that crowded. I'll break it down for you by listing the "forwards" and the positions they are projected to play.

2016:
Davis (5)

2017:
Smith (4)
Thompson (4/5)
Moore (4/5 likely to see very limited minutes)

2018:
Hunter (2/3)
Andersen (2/3)
Forrester (4/5 likely to see very limited minutes)

2019:
Brooks (2/3)
TJD (5)

Very likely you see this 10 man rotation next year:

RP/Green
Durham/Brooks
Hunter/Andersen
Smith/Thompson
TJD/Davis

Out of rotation:
Franklin
Moore
Forrester

This seems like a very normal roster to me.

However, at 6'8", TJD is going to be too short for a center. He looks more like a PF to me.
……..and he ain't much more than 210 lbs. either

He is listed as a Center. Biggie was a center at 6'8". Morgan is currently our center at 6'8".

We desperately need help/depth at the 4 spot. That’s why Hall was such a need. Gillis will be good in time once healthy and experienced. Wheeler is shaping up to be quite the player as we’ve seen the past few games, but still More help there is needed and that, to me personally, is where I’d like to see grad transfer help the most.

We've had this discussion before, and the front court really isn't that crowded. I'll break it down for you by listing the "forwards" and the positions they are projected to play.

2016:
Davis (5)

2017:
Smith (4)
Thompson (4/5)

2018:
Hunter (2/3)
Andersen (2/3)

2019:
Brooks (2/3)
TJD (5)

RP/Green
Durham/Brooks
Hunter/Andersen
Smith/Thompson
TJD/Davis

Out of rotation:
Franklin
Moore
Forrester

I think it’s more likely that Race plays the 5 spot and TJD the 4, Race has the weight to hold his own in there. I hope he gets over his concussion so we can see him play this year! Either way, that roster has a lot of length and athleticism all over the court.

Reactions: NC_Trojan10

2016:
Davis (5)

2017:
Smith (4)
Thompson (4/5)

2018:
Hunter (2/3)
Andersen (2/3)

2019:
Brooks (2/3)
TJD (5)

RP/Green
Durham/Brooks
Hunter/Andersen
Smith/Thompson
TJD/Davis

Out of rotation:
Franklin
Moore
Forrester

Something seems off here. I think you have moved some of the players who would be considered forwards into the (2/3) category. No fair!

Putting TJD at starting center doesn't seem like the best use of him. I know he played center in high school. I am just not sure that will translate in college ball. He should be facing the basket from what I've seen.

Something seems off here. I think you have moved some of the players who would be considered forwards into the (2/3) category. No fair!

Putting TJD at starting center doesn't seem like the best use of him. I know he played center in high school. I am just not sure that will translate in college ball. He should be facing the basket from what I've seen.
I'm pretty good friends with his coach. IU's pitch to him has been he will be taking over Juwan's spot at the 5.

As far as the 2/3 guys (Andersen, Hunter, Brooks), they were all recruited to play the wing. The wing is the 2/3 positions. Archie prefers to have big/long athletes at these spots. Painter on the other hand prefers to have both wings be guards. Different approaches.

Reactions: mathboy
I'm pretty good friends with his coach. IU's pitch to him has been he will be taking over Juwan's spot at the 5.

As far as the 2/3 guys (Andersen, Hunter, Brooks), they were all recruited to play the wing. The wing is the 2/3 positions. Archie prefers to have big/long athletes at these spots. Painter on the other hand prefers to have both wings be guards. Different approaches.

Is it possible Painter would change his approach and philosophy? Has any coach ever regrouped and made a major overhaul to their style?

I know his motion offense is successful, but how many other schools employ it? Has it actually brought a championship to anybody?

I know Painter basically loves the 3 guard and perimeter offense and ignores the small forward. Would he ever embrace Archie's ideas?

Would Painter ever embrace using a zone defense?

So many questions. I'm not complaining. I've just never really embraced his style/philosophy . And I'm curious as to have any of his style/philosophies been tried or successful elsewhere? And if any successful coach has ever dramatically changed their coaching style and become successful with their new style?

I've seen a lot of schools change their style when they changed coaches. I've seen a few coaches change their style after they change schools. But how many coaches stayed at their schools, changed their style and became more successful?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT