ADVERTISEMENT

I hate the NIL!!

KentuckyBoiler

All-American
Jul 6, 2011
Great call by the NCAA with the NIL. Did a committee think and vote on this in a 24 hour time period, because that is what it appears. There was no thought put in this at all, and it is too late to take it back now.

We have lost 2 prime recruits in about a 24 hour timeframe. They want to play closer to home? If that was the case, we would have Booker, and DGL would have stayed with his commitment. No, it is all about the money. I thought this was so telling in the article on G&B.

The talented guard started his high school career at McCutcheon, then spent the past two seasons at prep schools in Utah and Florida. After recovering from a series of foot injuries, he committed to Purdue after Matt Painter and his stuff stayed on him through his injury.

When all of these other programs backed off, Purdue was there all the time. How is that loyalty repaid, he decommits. I am assuming that he will be making some large bank deposits and withdrawals soon at someplace like MSU or a Kentucky.

Unless you are a Izzo type of coach, I don't know why anyone would want to coach in about another couple of years. You have to have no morals and be corrupt to win in this new playing environment of college athletics.

Not sure about anyone else, but I hate the NIL!!!!

Great call by the NCAA with the NIL. Did a committee think and vote on this in a 24 hour time period, because that is what it appears. There was no thought put in this at all, and it is too late to take it back now.

We have lost 2 prime recruits in about a 24 hour timeframe. They want to play closer to home? If that was the case, we would have Booker, and DGL would have stayed with his commitment. No, it is all about the money. I thought this was so telling in the article on G&B.

The talented guard started his high school career at McCutcheon, then spent the past two seasons at prep schools in Utah and Florida. After recovering from a series of foot injuries, he committed to Purdue after Matt Painter and his stuff stayed on him through his injury.

When all of these other programs backed off, Purdue was there all the time. How is that loyalty repaid, he decommits. I am assuming that he will be making some large bank deposits and withdrawals soon at someplace like MSU or a Kentucky.

Unless you are a Izzo type of coach, I don't know why anyone would want to coach in about another couple of years. You have to have no morals and be corrupt to win in this new playing environment of college athletics.

Not sure about anyone else, but I hate the NIL!!!!
It's an ugly, unethical game. It's almost not fun anymore for fans as your best player can just transfer out for more NIL money. Seems very thoughtless by the NCAA.

Who knows where this will end, but I can see it ending with Purdue no longer a player in major college athletics. I'm to the point that I might not mind, to be honest, given how ridiculous and shady the whole business is. I think NIL just shined a light and gave legitimacy to what was already happening in the shadows. Of course, that legitimacy has probably increased the intensity of the financial competitiveness.

Here’s my feeling: why would I give money to a athlete who is probably not even going to go to class and probably even transfer if they are unhappy. I’d rather give money to a student who is not an athlete that wants to study at Purdue and earn their degree.

Purdue is an academic Institution first and foremost. Sports is just an added perk.

Be careful what you wish for. so many people on this board were clamoring for these athletes to get paid. Well here we are.
These kids should have been paid a stipend years ago.
It should have been illegal for colleges to profit off of an individual's likeness or number.
These kids should be able to sell replica jerseys etc. for profit.

Might have negated the "need" for NIL.

Reactions: RNS60004
it was the Supreme Court that forced the NCAA’s hand. The NCAA never wanted it because of course it potentially means less money for them. However, they are culpable for not enforcing their minimal NIL rules which has caused a wild Wild West atmosphere. My opinion of this is that they fear they will just get sued again if they attempt any type of enforcement and thus lose more power to a point where they may not exist.

Whether you agree with the supreme courts decision is up to you, but it’s not their fault the NiL is being abused beyond its intent. Also, I don’t think the Court could consider the original intent of college varsity sports which originated decades ago. It was more of a gift or privilege to the students to have something else other than the real purpose they were at the university for: academics. I don’t think making millions of dollars off of varsity sports was ever thought of at the time.

for the record, I hate the NIL too. It’s early, so there are a lot of paths NIL can take, but most of those paths are no Bueno imo.

Last edited:
My son informed me it is not the responsibility of the school to find nil opportunities for the athletes. Rather it is up to the athletes to make their own deal. And what we have seen with peck and other athletes is that they found the deals themselves. Peck could have accepted that NIL deal and still played for Purdue. He just decided not to. Players receive NIL money and the majority of time that money is not requiring the player to attend a specific college

• Haha
Reactions: Indy_Rider

Between the dicta in the Supreme Court decision in Alston making clear that the court would strike down the NCAA's restriction on athlete compensation if the case came before the court and states starting to pass laws requiring the NCAA to allow players to earn compensation related to their name, image and likeness, the NCAA basically did not have a choice. That being said, the NCAA dragged its heels on adopting rules and basically allowed a free-for-all to ensue, which I do not think was an accident. I think it is pretty clear that the NCAA wanted there to be such a mess that Congress would either grant it an antitrust exemption or pass a standardized national law on the issue. The NCAA massively misplayed its hand.

That being said, I am not sure that NIL changed the game as much as some people want to believe. The reality is that even before the NIL certain schools have always had boosters (or athletic partners) who were willing to find creative ways to pay players to attend the desired school. Did the NIL increase the dollar amounts and potentially bring a few additional participants into the market? Of course, but it did not create the market; it brought it out in the open. Absent the contemporaneous change to the transfer rules, I am not sure it would have been as big of deal.

My belief is that we are seeing peak NIL now, because it is new. In a few years, I suspect it will be much less of an issue, because the cool factor is going to ware off and people are going to expect to see a return on their investments. The universe of non-star athletes in professional sports with material endorsements is basically zero. The businesses tossing around big money at the moment are going to realize the same applies to college sports and other than star athletes and athletes with significant social media reach the market is going to contract significantly. Second, the individual alumni spending like crazy (e.g. Texas A&M) are going to find out money does not buy championships (ask Joe Tsai and Steve Balmer, but they can justify the spending because franchise values just keep going up the alumni are just flushing the cash down the drain). Plus, they are going to find out that hiring mercenaries is a dangerous game, because the players can just move on to another program that will pay more (see above re the change in the transfer rules really being the issue). Of course, they can try and structure the contract with clawbacks and delayed payments to limit this risk, but (i) 18-22 year olds are impulsive and (ii) the first time you sue an athlete to try and enforce the clawback or prevent them from moving, the universe of players who are going to want to take your money is going to rapidly shrink.

Here’s my feeling: why would I give money to a athlete who is probably not even going to go to class and probably even transfer if they are unhappy. I’d rather give money to a student who is not an athlete that wants to study at Purdue and earn their degree.

Purdue is an academic Institution first and foremost. Sports is just an added perk.
If that is your philosophy then why even contribute to the athletic department, NIL or no NIL. What is the difference between your money going into the pocket of a star basketball player and your money adding bling to his locker room?

My son informed me it is not the responsibility of the school to find nil opportunities for the athletes. Rather it is up to the athletes to make their own deal. And what we have seen with peck and other athletes is that they found the deals themselves. Peck could have accepted that NIL deal and still played for Purdue. He just decided not to. Players receive NIL money and the majority of time that money is not requiring the player to attend a specific college
That is an extremely naive take.

Between the dicta in the Supreme Court decision in Alston making clear that the court would strike down the NCAA's restriction on athlete compensation if the case came before the court and states starting to pass laws requiring the NCAA to allow players to earn compensation related to their name, image and likeness, the NCAA basically did not have a choice. That being said, the NCAA dragged its heels on adopting rules and basically allowed a free-for-all to ensue, which I do not think was an accident. I think it is pretty clear that the NCAA wanted there to be such a mess that Congress would either grant it an antitrust exemption or pass a standardized national law on the issue. The NCAA massively misplayed its hand.

That being said, I am not sure that NIL changed the game as much as some people want to believe. The reality is that even before the NIL certain schools have always had boosters (or athletic partners) who were willing to find creative ways to pay players to attend the desired school. Did the NIL increase the dollar amounts and potentially bring a few additional participants into the market? Of course, but it did not create the market; it brought it out in the open. Absent the contemporaneous change to the transfer rules, I am not sure it would have been as big of deal.

My belief is that we are seeing peak NIL now, because it is new. In a few years, I suspect it will be much less of an issue, because the cool factor is going to ware off and people are going to expect to see a return on their investments. The universe of non-star athletes in professional sports with material endorsements is basically zero. The businesses tossing around big money at the moment are going to realize the same applies to college sports and other than star athletes and athletes with significant social media reach the market is going to contract significantly. Second, the individual alumni spending like crazy (e.g. Texas A&M) are going to find out money does not buy championships (ask Joe Tsai and Steve Balmer, but they can justify the spending because franchise values just keep going up the alumni are just flushing the cash down the drain). Plus, they are going to find out that hiring mercenaries is a dangerous game, because the players can just move on to another program that will pay more (see above re the change in the transfer rules really being the issue). Of course, they can try and structure the contract with clawbacks and delayed payments to limit this risk, but (i) 18-22 year olds are impulsive and (ii) the first time you sue an athlete to try and enforce the clawback or prevent them from moving, the universe of players who are going to want to take your money is going to rapidly shrink.
Yep. It’s new & boosters are jumping on it, and we aren’t as competitive as we’d like. We’ll have some struggles for a few years. But then what? I think via a combination of controls and competing schools’ backers realizing they can’t sustainably fork over so much cash year after year, this will smooth out… at least to some extent. The number of players getting truly big NIL bucks will go down over time as the realities of sustainability set in, except for those few schools with one or more billionaires who really want to keep going with their alma maters… I guess those schools will be the big winners from this in the end.

That makes a lot of sense to me. The fact that business ultimately are going to need to see a return on their investments. And, for example, how many E'Twaun Moore commercials were made? He was a good NBA player, but it's only the top % that really get paid for endorsements. I'm sure he made some money, but the average college athlete is not going to make a whole lot.

1. Who’s peck?
2. He could not have accepted the NIL deal and still played at Purdue because the lawyers drawing up the contract are way smarter than that. All they have to do is include a clause that says “you promise to do autograph sessions in the Miami area on [random week night]” which would prevent him from playing at a different school.
3. The schools that are ahead of this are finding the opportunities for these athletes. The responsibility is not falling on the athletes at schools that are major NIL players. People committing to UK based on NIL sure as hell are not cold calling companies for NIL deals.

As long as he can cash big checks he's not getting out of coaching anytime soon.
Coaching is not what it was in the current setup for college athletics. Sure, at the most basic level...but, in terms of competing for conference/national championships...absolutely not.

He has cashed way more than enough big checks for him to have to care about cashing more...certainly he is/will be able to if he wishes to, but, again, the game has literally changed...dramatically at that...to a/the point that he may not want to do it regardless of his ability to earn and cash big checks still.

It was hard enough at a place like Purdue already...now...incredibly difficult. He spent years building something and establishing something that was rendered all but useless with changes made by the NCAA, and, due to things completely outside of his control in any way.

I know he had no interest in doing this for near as long as his predecessor or a lot of other coaches, and, I can't help but think that between NIL, transfer portal and other things that he will even do it as long as he had thought that he might.

Last edited:
Reactions: Indy_Rider
Unlimited transfer rule is worse than NIL.
On its own, I agree...collectively, NIL compounds it.

NIL sucks just from the standpoint that it rewards schools that cheated previously, NIL and unlimited transfer/immediate eligibility/COVID year...the perfect storm of disastrous circumstances.

Reactions: Poprudy
Reactions: indyogb and Poprudy
$425,000 for 11 players. Averages about $40,000 a piece, for this one deal. Add that on top of free college tuition and a stipend for room and board. Not to bad especially since some of these guys won't even be in the rotation.

I was really confused by how this works, so here is another article.

I think the thing that bothers me as much as anything is the idea that schools are trying to position this as a way for students to give back and be part of the community How much value does an endorsement of a guy like Miller Kopp bring to the YMCA of Monroe County? I'll answer my own question. None. I'm sure the YMCA would be better served getting a $40,000 direct donation of cash from the alumni or have Miller Kopp actually work at the Y running youth programs. There are a lot of good people doing a lot of good work for organizations like the ones mentioned above for nothing in return. That's giving back.

In some way it makes me feel less positive about the charitable organizations involved because in my view it makes them look like they are in on the scam and I wouldn't give a dime to the lot of them.

$425,000 for 11 players. Averages about $40,000 a piece, for this one deal. Add that on top of free college tuition and a stipend for room and board. Not to bad especially since some of these guys won't even be in the rotation.

I think the thing that bothers me as much as anything is the idea that schools are trying to position this as a way for students to give back and be part of the community How much value does an endorsement of a guy like Miller Kopp bring to the YMCA of Monroe County? I'll answer my own question. None. I'm sure the YMCA would be better served getting a $40,000 direct donation of cash from the alumni or have Miller Kopp actually work at the Y running youth programs. There are a lot of good people doing a lot of good work for organizations like the ones mentioned above for nothing in return. That's giving back.

In some way it makes me feel less positive about the charitable organizations involved because in my view it makes them look like they are in on the scam and I wouldn't give a dime to the lot of them.
You bring up a good point about the give back and being part of the community. The money being paid to the player to do whatever they would do to help, would probably be far more useful being directly given to the cause or community for their use. The money being far more useful than the player showing up for a few appearance events or running a clinic for a day or two. The players taking money in these instances should almost feel guilty for being part of the scam.
Instead of thinking about NIL being a way to pay players for a negative return of investment, maybe think of it as a donation to their own cause.
It is dawning on me, that there could be some really good TV shows with an NIL theme. Big Money, corruption, Etc. Ozark like.

Reactions: Wolegib
And this is exactly why Purdue will fall behind sooner rather than later. A reason Dane Fife was fired. Purdue fans and the school itself want to be stuck in the past and you'll get left in the past.

Reactions: Hatchets7times
That is an extremely naive take.
it's an accurate one from a knowledgeable coach at a rival D1 school who knows a lot more about NIL and its NCAA rules than the vast majority of posters here. . it's not the job of the school to find NIL money for athletes. Athletes can go anywhere they want to get NIL money. Obviously, if you sell yourself to some BIG NIL benefactor, he basically owns you, and will probably dictate what you can and cannot do, and where he wants you to play. That QB that went to OSU and then transferred to Texas, received a NIL over $1 million. However, it had factors in order to receive all of it, one of those factors was starting. and that wasn't going to happen at OSU. just because he changed schools doesn't mean his NIL went away. In his case, his owner/bnefactor wasn't that concerned where he plays. However, some NIL benefactors do.

NIL is not supposed to be used for recruiting purposes. although if you believe the internet, that's what appears to be happening. I believe you may see the NCAA take action against schools that use NIL as a recruiting tool.

I can't believe adidas, Nike and Converse can't use NIL as a way of paying their athletes.

and all these collectives are not the school. the big money you see being tossed around on NIL comes from individuals, not collectives. Purdue's collective is a drop in the bucket to what some indivduals give out. and if you read about Purdue's alumni response on other sites, You'll find the majority of Purdue alumni are NOT interested in donating to the JPC, the collective or the NIL !

and as I said before, NIL money is not free money. Those people will want and demand something in return for their generosity. People don't give away money without expecting something in return. the vast majority of NIL money comes with a contract. it will be interesting to see how many atletes take the money but don't fulfill their contracts. or flunk out of school

it's a shame Tommy is only concerned about his own conference and doesn't really care about other conferences in order to formulate his opinion and law. I guess every confeerence should do and be exactly like the SEC !

1. Who’s peck?
2. He could not have accepted the NIL deal and still played at Purdue because the lawyers drawing up the contract are way smarter than that. All they have to do is include a clause that says “you promise to do autograph sessions in the Miami area on [random week night]” which would prevent him from playing at a different school.
3. The schools that are ahead of this are finding the opportunities for these athletes. The responsibility is not falling on the athletes at schools that are major NIL players. People committing to UK based on NIL sure as hell are not cold calling companies for NIL deals.

I'm going to disagree. a lot of posters here are saying the schools are finding these NIL deals for their athletes. I'm not so sure that's true. Has any school come forward and said we set up these NIl deals? In reference to Pack, the school said nothing. We found out about it because the benefactor made it public.

this brings up the question, did the school find a NIL benefactor for PACK ? or did that NIL benefactor find PACK and brought him to the school?

This is speculation on my part. I don't have facts yet to back up my theory. But I'm putting this out there as food for thought.

it's a given especially for basketball athletes, that they have handlers. Look at all the NCAA cases. they all point to somebody acting as ana agent or midleman getting the athlete his money under the table. This practice has gone on for decades. there are people who get in touch with players, get them money and then tell the player what university or place to go.

so what if ..................................

instead of Universities finding NIL donors, the real story is these old slime ball handlers are the ones finding this NIL money and then telling the player he needs to go to a certain school to get it? and for getting the player this great NIL deal, this slimeball handler takes 10% of the deal.

we all know the background of Swanigan coming to purdue. basically, he had an advisor/handler. All of the tp players have advisors/handlers. You can call them advisors, or agents or lawyers or representatives. it's your choice. but we all know they exists.

it's my contention and speculation that these advisors are the ones finding the big NIL deals and then informing the schools, that their "client" (player) is willing to play for that school.

and these collectives are nothing more than agencies of agents. they may be called a different name. But it's rather obvious what they really are. When a player signs a NIl deal, he's basically signing with an agent. and it's basically his handler that found the NIL deal for him, not the school.

just some food for thought/discussion.

Spot on in about every way...including pointing out that this is largely a genuine scam...and, definitely with respect to the value that Miller Kopp's endorsement of YMCA of Monroe Co.

Schools, including Indinia, are spinning this for sure...they are not the only ones by any means, and, my guess is that Purdue may try spinning it to some extent as well even (we will see).

I am guessing that the charitable organizations involved are receiving some money behind he scenes as well to be involved, so, while they are part of the scam, they also are getting something out of being a part of it (aside of a Miller Kopp meaningless commercial or endorsement).

Reactions: wferrel
And this is exactly why Purdue will fall behind sooner rather than later. A reason Dane Fife was fired. Purdue fans and the school itself want to be stuck in the past and you'll get left in the past.
Can't wait for Indinia to STILL suck despite "not getting left behind"...not surprising at all that the only way that Indinia could possibly even find its way back to even remote relevance was by buying their way back...that is the real shame of NIL...that programs that were built the right way and have indeed established themselves get to "fall behind" as you noted to schools like LSU (or, ULS in Rickie Collin's case) and Indinia that buy their way into competing instead.

Can't wait for Indinia to STILL suck despite "not getting left behind"...not surprising at all that the only way that Indinia could possibly even find its way back to even remote relevance was by buying their way back...that is the real shame of NIL...that programs that were built the right way and have indeed established themselves get to "fall behind" as you noted to schools like LSU (or, ULS in Rickie Collin's case) and Indinia that buy their way into competing instead.
So did UK, Auburn etc do it the right way? The right way is now. Things change. You are seeing people finally getting what’s due. These universities have made major profits off these kids. Why PU didn’t get behind(while getting behind) NIL is the sad part. It’s their fault. Also, while the feds/congress gets involved it will still be up to the states to deal with NIL. Pretty soon schools will be directly involved. Missouri and Tennessee are already ahead of this with their senators on board. It’s a very complicated issue and it’s not going away.

Reactions: mathboy
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT