ADVERTISEMENT

No football this fall.

Travel is a much bigger issue for the general student population than it is for the football team. The football team can charter travel to and from games and never come in contact with another person outside their teammates, trainers, coaches, and the opposing team.
Students are at almost zero risk for Covid

You said a bubble was possible for college football. I say it’s not.

At least one conference commissioner has said there's no chance of doing a bubble. You're correct, it's not happening.

MLS is doing a bubble just to complete a postseason tournament. Same with NHL. NBA teams are much smaller.

The NFL isn't doing a bubble, nor is MLB. If those leagues don't feel it'd be successful, no chance that NCAA football can.

Keep in mind, this also isn't cheap. The NFL is testing players every single day for the first 2 weeks, then if the positivity rate is low enough, will go to every other day. The NHL said their tests are $125 each. So every time a college football team, coaches, staff, trainers, etc. get tested - that's $20k for a team. For 1 test.

Right now, the Big Ten was planning to test once per week. The NFL is doing every other day IF things are going well. It's gonna make college football a challenge, but a bubble is just not realistic.

Last edited:
The minute you put student athletes in a bubble you give up the pretense that they are students first and you might as well start cutting paychecks.

I'm not advocating one position over another, but I don't see a connection in the least.

Many have long been "in a bubble".

If the academics are being tended to, there's no connection to any "paycheck".

Let's talk turkey.
Regardless of what you believe about risk, transmissibility, etc.
Are the thousand or so student athletes on B1G rosters on average safer for the next 3-4 months on a regular schedule where they are occupied with football, training, and school and are being tested regularly... or with football cancelled or pushed to the spring and left with a bunch of free time to roam the campus with limited-to-no testing the next 3-4 months.

Let's talk turkey.
Regardless of what you believe about risk, transmissibility, etc.
Are the thousand or so student athletes on B1G rosters on average safer for the next 3-4 months on a regular schedule where they are occupied with football, training, and school and are being tested regularly... or with football cancelled or pushed to the spring and left with a bunch of free time to roam the campus with limited-to-no testing the next 3-4 months.

They'd be just like any other college student "roaming campus with free time". That's up to the campuses and their administration on how they're handling things.

They'd be just like any other college student "roaming campus with free time". That's up to the campuses and their administration on how they're handling things.
Right. And which scenario is safer? My point is that only one side of the equation is being talked about, with the assumption that cancelling football creates a safer situation for the players and their families. My position is that going forward with a football season builds in a degree of control due to the structure and limited free time. I've seen this summer with my own eyes how young people are approaching things when no one is looking over their shoulder. The virus is going to spread like wildfire through the general student population who will mostly NOT be distancing or under regular testing. I will wager if football proceeds this fall there will be fewer cases by % among the football team than in the general student population. And if football does not happen this fall the football players will be more at risk.

Think about that:

For 3+ hours they're going to be on the field, sweating, spitting, coughing, sneezing, wiping their faces with their hands, holding a football, throwing a (now infected) football (i.e., passing it around), tackling each other, blocking each other, grunting, yelling, etc. etc. etc. ....

... and the solution is that mask.

2020-started-with-wtf-72168191.png

Think about that:

For 3+ hours they're going to be on the field, sweating, spitting, coughing, sneezing, wiping their faces with their hands, holding a football, throwing a (now infected) football (i.e., passing it around), tackling each other, blocking each other, grunting, yelling, etc. etc. etc. ....

... and the solution is that mask.

2020-started-with-wtf-72168191.png
I think we're at the point where some players just want to "feel" safe and that somebody is looking out for their safety. Fact is the players would be more at risk running around campus than playing football this fall. If this is what it takes to have football I am 100% behind it. I liken this to the rule changes in football in response to the CTE studies. It is what it is. A placebo.

I think we're at the point where some players just want to "feel" safe and that somebody is looking out for their safety. Fact is the players would be more at risk running around campus than playing football this fall. If this is what it takes to have football I am 100% behind it. I liken this to the rule changes in football in response to the CTE studies. It is what it is. A placebo.

I don't think there's anything there with which I would disagree, and for clarity, I'm not saying I'm not ... "behind it".

To your point, the reaction to this virus seems to have become pure emotion.

Reactions: FLAG HUNTER
He's "struggling".

Everyone wants him healthy, and the facts remain, the risks are extraordinarily LOW for people in his age group (and medical condition).

She's absolutely right; the schools "can't protect them". NOBODY can protect them. It's a virus. A virus that has run rampant throughout the world.

We can deal in facts, or emotion.

Reactions: FLAG HUNTER
He's "struggling".

Everyone wants him healthy, and the facts remain, the risks are extraordinarily LOW for people in his age group (and medical condition).

She's absolutely right; the schools "can't protect them". NOBODY can protect them. It's a virus. A virus that has run rampant throughout the world.

We can deal in facts, or emotion.
Ask who wants to really play, eliminate all at risk kids based on existing data, have them sign a waiver, pre-pay any medical expenses if they do get sick and put'em in a room with folks that have it. Once they test positive for the antibodies and aren't contagious, play ball.

Last edited:
Reactions: Purdue85
“Bottom line, even if your son’s schools do everything right to protect them, they CAN’T PROTECT THEM!”

Agreed. They will get exposed, whether its on the football field or at a party. Nobody is going to 'protect' young people from living their lives. Might as well play on and keep them on a testing regimen.
Agreeing with FirstDownB:
A large portion of the audience here is Help me ... help me... I'm scared! Good Lord, the whimps of this world. I'm sending both my children back to College (one will be playing soccer) and I expect there will be no major issues. I'm not guaranteed NOTHING, but I'm sure as hell not going to puss out either. I'm teaching them to grow up and show up!
Most think I'm solely wanting entertainment. It goes beyond the white lines and stadium. It is life that I point to. We must move forward vs. cancel everything and sit at home. Mental health, lonesomeness and isolation will lead to serious consequences later. We've seen it in rage and riots (trying not to politicize here). Keep people pent up and they will lash out.

For the record, I hope that the I.U. player fully recovers and sympathize that it has hit him hard.

Last edited:
I think with college football, there's a "cocktail" of things at play right now. I think if there is a season, it will be, at best, messy and some games will probably be forfeits, etc. I understand it's a last resort, but I think prep should really be looked at for spring - I think that's the only chance of a somewhat normal season happening.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT