ADVERTISEMENT

No football this fall.

Jan 3, 2015
I was just reading an article on Yahoo sports that multiple power 5 sources are saying there will not be football this fall. If this is true, and happens, I can not imagine how this might change the college sports landscape forever.

Reactions: Zaphod_B
I always thought IVY league students, instructors and their administrations were 10 times smarter than those institutions more interested in promoting sports than academics. Maybe other institutions could learn something and follow their lead. having no college Fall sports is not the end of the world. I always believed in students who were also athletes, rather than athletes who were sometimes also students. I love my school a lot more than I ever loved its sports teams. To me Go Boilers is about an education, not a touchdown. I would rather have a new library over a new scoreboard !

if I could have afforded it, I would have chosen Northwestern - and not for their athletic programs, but rather for their academics, and Shelly Long !

so go ahead and diss this post. You would anyway no matter what I contributed.

I'm not an IU troll. rather I'm an academic one!

Reactions: indyogb
Since you have asked to be dissed, I'll oblige. IVY League has become Bush League in Leadership when it comes to Leading thru COVID-19 and other CIVIC issues (fill in your own blank). They have become a "Help the sky is falling", "Crap their pants", "Scared liberals that want you and I to hide till vaccine". They need to not be so damn scared. Use common sense & protocols. When China reports that they have more cases than Qatar, then I'll be a believer. Till then, keep in the caution zone and use sanitizing protocols, safe social distances, masks where needed.
Do not fall into their mind trap pitfall...shut everything down till Biden comes into office, then life will be great. The fog of COVID-19 will be lifted.
I did a cursory check and see no overflow hospitals being utilized (2 pages on google) and don't see one yet. I prefer to not see one either.
https://fox6now.com/2020/05/21/what-happens-to-wisconsins-covid-19-overflow-contingency-plans/

I will not knuckle under to the sky is falling approach.

I always thought IVY league students, instructors and their administrations were 10 times smarter than those institutions more interested in promoting sports than academics. Maybe other institutions could learn something and follow their lead. having no college Fall sports is not the end of the world. I always believed in students who were also athletes, rather than athletes who were sometimes also students. I love my school a lot more than I ever loved its sports teams. To me Go Boilers is about an education, not a touchdown. I would rather have a new library over a new scoreboard !

if I could have afforded it, I would have chosen Northwestern - and not for their athletic programs, but rather for their academics, and Shelly Long !

I'm not an IU troll. rather I'm an academic one!
Unless you are of privilege or influence, the majority of us could never had gotten into an Ivy League school (ie what we have seen from the college scandal that Lori Loughlin and others are involved with to get their kids into "prestigious schools"). I wish I had that money, or was born into it, but that was not the case in my case. I would say that is the case for most of us on the board.

College were created for academics and getting an education, but sports bring a lot of things to colleges and college towns. If college athletics do not go on this year, there will be several people losing their jobs due to the money no longer being there to pay their salaries. Also, several people donate money for academic buildings due to their love of their college and their love of their favorite college team. Game days bring revenue to college towns and surrounding areas for restaurants, hotels, etc. that would not be there without sports. Certain kids will even want to go to a certain college sometimes, because of their love of a certain team.

Yes, colleges should be more than just sports, but that is the way our society is set up. Teachers are one of the most underappreciated professions, but I don't see us changing our views in society and start paying star teachers like star sports stars.

If there would be no sports this year for colleges, it is going to affect colleges, and surrounding areas and area businesses, more than just the athletic departments.

Didnt know 18-22 year olds were under the life threatening microscope for this disease!!! Liberal media as well the Liberal politicians carrying the BS narative while Republicans just cave in.........so pathetic!!
Republican politicians in general do not have the balls to stand their ground. They cave too easily against MSM and group think thugs.
The enemy knows this and continue to forge onward. Time to dig in and get messy to show their constituents they have a backbone.

Last edited:
Unless you are of privilege or influence, the majority of us could never had gotten into an Ivy League school (ie what we have seen from the college scandal that Lori Loughlin and others are involved with to get their kids into "prestigious schools"). I wish I had that money, or was born into it, but that was not the case in my case. I would say that is the case for most of us on the board.

College were created for academics and getting an education, but sports bring a lot of things to colleges and college towns. If college athletics do not go on this year, there will be several people losing their jobs due to the money no longer being there to pay their salaries. Also, several people donate money for academic buildings due to their love of their college and their love of their favorite college team. Game days bring revenue to college towns and surrounding areas for restaurants, hotels, etc. that would not be there without sports. Certain kids will even want to go to a certain college sometimes, because of their love of a certain team.

Yes, colleges should be more than just sports, but that is the way our society is set up. Teachers are one of the most underappreciated professions, but I don't see us changing our views in society and start paying star teachers like star sports stars.

If there would be no sports this year for colleges, it is going to affect colleges, and surrounding areas and area businesses, more than just the athletic departments.
Or just be good at football :) and if that’s the case, sure as hell don’t throw away your future for a 10 game fall season in 1AA. Is sucks for the seniors and I feel for them, but the ivy league is not the Big Ten, and the Ivy League made the best decisions for themselves that they could.

Or just be good at football :) and if that’s the case, sure as hell don’t throw away your future for a 10 game fall season in 1AA. Is sucks for the seniors and I feel for them, but the ivy league is not the Big Ten, and the Ivy League made the best decisions for themselves that they could.

WTH?

How does one "throw away (their) future" for a B1G football season?

Who writes this stuff?

I was just reading an article on Yahoo sports that multiple power 5 sources are saying there will not be football this fall. If this is true, and happens, I can not imagine how this might change the college sports landscape forever.

If it doesn't happen in the fall, they will then do anything they can to do it in the spring. The Big Ten is the most 'against' this of the P-5s for obvious weather concerns.

The SEC commish did not sound terribly optimistic this week.

Since you have asked to be dissed, I'll oblige. IVY League has become Bush League in Leadership when it comes to Leading thru COVID-19 and other CIVIC issues (fill in your own blank). They have become a "Help the sky is falling", "Crap their pants", "Scared liberals that want you and I to hide till vaccine". They need to not be so damn scared. Use common sense & protocols. When China reports that they have more cases than Qatar, then I'll be a believer. Till then, keep in the caution zone and use sanitizing protocols, safe social distances, masks where needed.
Do not fall into their mind trap pitfall...shut everything down till Biden comes into office, then life will be great. The fog of COVID-19 will be lifted.
I did a cursory check and see no overflow hospitals being utilized (2 pages on google) and don't see one yet. I prefer to not see one either.
https://fox6now.com/2020/05/21/what-happens-to-wisconsins-covid-19-overflow-contingency-plans/

I will not knuckle under to the sky is falling approach.

in general I agree with your overall point, but I think you’re too hard on the Ivy League.

First, football is a huge cost for them. It’s not a cash cow like it is for P5 schools. So like everything else, money talks.

Second, there are too many regional disparities on this virus to make generalizations. In other words, if my state was hit as hard as the NY/NJ, I might be a little shell shocked too

I’m saying the risk/reward is way different for Ivy players vs B1G players. Use some critical thinking.

What is the risk? I guess you are saying that the risk a player should be willing to take for playing in an Ivy League game should not be the same as the risk a player should be willing to take to play in a P5 League. And you are speaking for the players? That's an opinion and not using critical thinking.

Using that logic then why does Ivy League football exist at all given the addition of all of the risks football players take such as the long term effects of concussions, knee injuries that can affect a person throughout their life, and all of the other injuries they face. These are clearly greater than the risk they face from Covid. The answer is that the risk(s) is worth it to the players for whatever reason they deem.

In total, the number of people age 24 or younger that have died in the US with Covid (not due to) is 179. Yes....179. In total, since February 1st, of that same age group, 254 have died from pneumonia (no Covid). Should we not play due to pneumonia as well? Far more people of that age group die of influenza every year yet we continue to play on. (For more context, overall more than 23,000 people aged 24 or younger have died in the US since February 1st).

Again, what is the risk to these players from Covid, and who is to speak for them when it comes to the risk they should be willing to take?

in general I agree with your overall point, but I think you’re too hard on the Ivy League.

First, football is a huge cost for them. It’s not a cash cow like it is for P5 schools. So like everything else, money talks.

Second, there are too many regional disparities on this virus to make generalizations. In other words, if my state was hit as hard as the NY/NJ, I might be a little shell shocked too
Understood and agree on money talks / IVY League football. We'll see how it plays out in the long haul for those schools.

I'll open it further. Both East and West Coast believe they are leading people and IMHO, they are using this as Political advantage. Most Ivy League and some of the California Schools CAL Berkeley, Stanford, UCLA, etc are so liberal that they have group think and lock step to the DEM party. They should think for themselves to determine their best course for their schools and students. As you indicated, if their is a spike on campus, pause as needed. Otherwise go to school, use masks, clean protocols to get thru this and on with their lives. In person classes will give them more collaboration and real world experiences than being shut in watching monitors.

What is the risk? I guess you are saying that the risk a player should be willing to take for playing in an Ivy League game should not be the same as the risk a player should be willing to take to play in a P5 League. And you are speaking for the players? That's an opinion and not using critical thinking.

Using that logic then why does Ivy League football exist at all given the addition of all of the risks football players take such as the long term effects of concussions, knee injuries that can affect a person throughout their life, and all of the other injuries they face. These are clearly greater than the risk they face from Covid. The answer is that the risk(s) is worth it to the players for whatever reason they deem.

In total, the number of people age 24 or younger that have died in the US with Covid (not due to) is 179. Yes....179. In total, since February 1st, of that same age group, 254 have died from pneumonia (no Covid). Should we not play due to pneumonia as well? Far more people of that age group die of influenza every year yet we continue to play on. (For more context, overall more than 23,000 people aged 24 or younger have died in the US since February 1st).

Again, what is the risk to these players from Covid, and who is to speak for them when it comes to the risk they should be willing to take?
NJM hit the nail on the head with the financials. On top of that very few Ivy players are planning on playing at the next level. There is very little upside to playing this season in the way there is for money-making B1G schools and the large amount of players attempting to make a career out of football.

As to your hyperbolic point about why have football at all- plenty of Ivy administrators would agree with you there. But no player is on scholarship, all of them are on the team by choice and could step away at any moment without it impacting them financially or educationally.

I get the risk is extremely low and my preference would be all sports play. My alma mater has cancelled their season and that sucks as a fan. I’m just saying the Ivy League has a different set of circumstances than the Big Ten. I don’t think that’s very controversial.

A point that hasn’t been made Ivy league athletics is not as Great as the Nig 10. But they do produce athletes who have been successful in the pros. A second point is that Ivy League schools don’t produce the same amount of revue the dI have similar costs in fielding athletic teams. They still have to purchase uniforms, feed athletes provide the same amount of housing and scholarships and many other things that big 10 schools do. And they also have to have trainers staff med facilities and training facilities and a band. While they may not be as elaborate as the big 10 they do incur costs. And they must find ways to pay those costs.

Milwaukee I did Not say I wanted to be dissed. I just said it’s going to happen anyway, so go ahead and be the first and get it over with. Sort of like a flu shot

Reactions: MilwaukeeBoilerFan
Milwaukee I did Not say I wanted to be dissed. I just said it’s going to happen anyway, so go ahead and be the first and get it over with. Sort of like a flu shot
Hey, just dishing it out a bit. I can take it too. I’ve had the hell kicked out of me in here. I fight back and brush most of it off.

Last edited:
Reactions: Purdue85

The ultimate experience in a more perfect society would be to develop the "honor system" in our educational system as a way to develop high character in our citizens. Getting your money's worth when going through college means studying hard and being the best you can be academically. I wish I had applied myself more vigorously. However, there needs to be a time to get away from the stress and pressure of the classroom and let off steam. I believe college athletics is a very important way of doing that. I, also, believe that the party scene has become far too big a part of the college experience. Planning your class schedule around your weekend party scene seems a big waste of your parent's money. I admit that my perspective now is completely different than when I was in school. I wish all of our educational institutions could be patterned after our service academies. As a retired history teacher, I am reminded of the comment by Adolf Hitler when he called us "a decadent democracy". What a shame if we are headed that way. It doesn't look good right now.
Obviously I have too much time on my hands.

Reactions: jindy

I tend to agree. And that's a good point on regional variation. Most Ivy League schools are located in major population centers in the Northeast--an area that was absolutely hammered by COVID in March but now seems to have it under control. Whatever anybody wants to think of the Northeast, they stuck with their protocols, and it seems to be paying off. The Ivy League decision is probably an extension of that. I feel bad for their players, but I'm not going to say it was the wrong decision for their context.

Trust me, other teams if this happens are losing many Rondale Moore's. I want to see him as well, however, it's not like we're the only school that won't see players again.
Many? There's maybe 1 or 2 other players in college right now as electric as him.

Brohm has brought in some guys that can play. We will still have playmakers when he leaves. Way... more so than with some coaches.

Many? There's maybe 1 or 2 other players in college right now as electric as him.
I think zero teams take a high pick on him if he doesn’t play at least another season to show them he can play a whole season again. The most important ability in football is availability.

This post is spot on. I'm disappointed the hysteria part of this virus is still so strong. It's real and dangerous to a segment of the population but so is a year of fear and crushing people's lives through business closures and lack of education (thinking younger than high school especially).

As henry pointed out, life will never be free of risk. All we can do is be as smart and responsible as possible. I wish that had been the message from the start or at least april when we started to see what we really were facing.

12 days since the OP and still no strong indications that P5 will not be playing football this fall. What I'm reading is P5 AD's will pull out all the stops, whatever is necessary, to get as many games in as possible. With safety protocols in place, mind you. Even if it means turning the entire football conference into one giant corona bubble.

Reactions: 72Boiler
If we don't have a fall season I will be more disappointed as a Boiler fan than any time in the past simply because of the loss of what could have been with Rondale.

Reactions: HarrysPostGame13
I agree with Davie. Yeah, it's gonna suck to possibly not see Rondale as much going forward. But there are tons of college football players all over the country that are very exciting too, and their fans will be missing out just like ours will. The difference is, some of them have many more players that will come in and make up for the difference. At Purdue we're growing to be in that same realm.

I agree with Davie. Yeah, it's gonna suck to possibly not see Rondale as much going forward. But there are tons of college football players all over the country that are very exciting too, and their fans will be missing out just like ours will. The difference is, some of them have many more players that will come in and make up for the difference. At Purdue we're growing to be in that same realm.
I never said there weren't any other exciting players.

There will be football. Turn off the main stream media that is telling all of us to cower and hide. NFL is a go and IHSAA will have fall sports. College has already modified. They’ll use safety and protocols moving forward.

Last edited:
Reactions: Purdue85
There will be football. Turn off the main stream media that is telling all of us to cower and hide. NFL is a go and IHSAA will have fall sports. College has already modified. They’ll use safety and protocols moving forward.
If college football cancels, the NFL should schedule some games from noon to midnight on Saturdays!!

Reactions: Crayfish57
This post is spot on. I'm disappointed the hysteria part of this virus is still so strong. It's real and dangerous to a segment of the population but so is a year of fear and crushing people's lives through business closures and lack of education (thinking younger than high school especially).

As henry pointed out, life will never be free of risk. All we can do is be as smart and responsible as possible. I wish that had been the message from the start or at least april when we started to see what we really were facing.

I generally agree. But the problem here in the rural South is we can't even get people to take basic precautions like wearing a mask in public and avoiding large parties. The numbers are exploding here, and the more state and local authorities ask people to take even modest steps the more people double down against it. So, of course the numbers keep going up.

I can't speak for the entire country, but here in the South we've brought this on ourselves through our own selfish defiance. We weren't hit hard in the spring, so people have never taken it seriously. The basic blueprint for containing the virus was known by April. We just have way too many people who refuse to follow it.

And I know this will upset some people, but the president's ambivalence toward the whole thing has absolutely encouraged the behavior that now threatens the football season.

If college football cancels, the NFL should schedule some games from noon to midnight on Saturdays!!

It still baffles me that the NFL treats TV like we're in the 1980s still by showing 1, sometimes 2 games in each region on Sunday afternoons. I'm not a Redskins or Ravens person, so I almost never watch NFL on Sunday afternoons cause those are typically my only options. Nobody woke up on Sunday mornings last year and begged to watch the the NFC or AFC East.

Reactions: Boilerscuz
12 days since the OP and still no strong indications that P5 will not be playing football this fall. What I'm reading is P5 AD's will pull out all the stops, whatever is necessary, to get as many games in as possible. With safety protocols in place, mind you. Even if it means turning the entire football conference into one giant corona bubble.

It's pretty obvious that they will hold out as long as they can to ultimately make a final decision (i.e. the Big Ten's announcement wasn't that they WILL play conference games this fall, it was IF they play it will be conference games only).

At the end of the day, a university's top priority is that the university as a whole can operate as they plan to. That supersedes athletics (having just freshmen on campus is upwards of $80 million in revenue just in room and board). The travel component of college athletics is the true issue, more so than whether a team can workout, practice, etc. on campus. Schools are trying to keep students in place as much as they can..and avoid visitors.....whether it's eliminating fall breaks, ending the semester at Thanksgiving, not allowing visitors, etc. Obviously 125+ people traveling from West Lafayette all over the midwest with the football team - and teams playing contact sports - leads to a possibility of them bringing it back to Purdue's campus. I think that is ultimately the concern, and certainly that no university wants to have a student be hospitalized or die of it - athlete or not.

Who knows what things look like in a few weeks. Obviously if the Big Ten was located in the Maine, New Hampshire and Vermont, there'd be a lot less concern about travel...at least right now. Maybe in a few weeks things will be declining significantly and there's less concern at that time.

It still baffles me that the NFL treats TV like we're in the 1980s still by showing 1, sometimes 2 games in each region on Sunday afternoons. I'm not a Redskins or Ravens person, so I almost never watch NFL on Sunday afternoons cause those are typically my only options. Nobody woke up on Sunday mornings last year and begged to watch the the NFC or AFC East.
They must have agreed in the DirecTV deal not to give too much away for free, so folks are incentivized to subscribe to Sunday Ticket.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT