ADVERTISEMENT

NIT. You play BBall, play bbal!

Mar 27, 2022
Thoughts? I’m thinking you play and compete wherever and whenever, get the athletes experience

Kinda arrogant to decline

The full list of NIT-declining schools, per ESPN: Arizona State, California, Florida State, Indiana, Maryland, Memphis, Oklahoma, Ole Miss, Oregon State, Pitt, St. Bonaventure, St. John's, Stanford, Syracuse, UCLA, USC, Washington

Reactions: Boilerfanatic1981
Thoughts? I’m thinking you play and compete wherever and whenever, get the athletes experience

The full list of NIT-declining schools, per ESPN: Arizona State, California, Florida State, Indiana, Maryland, Memphis, Oklahoma, Ole Miss, Oregon State, Pitt, St. Bonaventure, St. John's, Stanford, Syracuse, UCLA, USC, Washington
Or you get a head start on the portal.

I’ll bet most players would like to play and they care

So the all teams in Big Dance are not working and looking at portal?

Play the games guys, create the culture

Reactions: JeffBoiler
I’ll bet most players would like to play and they care

So the all teams in Big Dance are not working and looking at portal?

Play the games guys, create the culture
Well, if you can get a head start on the portal and improve your team that's more important than if your guys care.

Tournament is different and can create buzz around your program.

Playing more games gives you a jump on next year by seeing who is hungry, play some you get guys, team bonding , I’m old school, play ball
No, not really. Besides, your entire team can be different by next season now.

I've seen people suggest that playing in the NIT tournament atmosphere has helped teams be successful the following year. I don't know how true that is, but it's good that some of these players who felt they should have been invited to the NCAA get to continue playing.

If I was a head coach, I might put an assistant in charge of NIT preparation while the rest of my staff worked the portal.

I doubt Painter's attitude would be any different today.
If our team was bad enough to be CBI eligible that means he's working the portal so yeah his attitude might very well be different. He's not going to trade making the next team better because of some sort of old school thinking.

Three big 10 teams win!

32 programs think it’s good for their program
And others don't. Different approaches. A young team might view it differently from a team that needs to retool and rebuild. Or a team like OSU that came on late might want to keep it going and keep it together vice an IU team that's clearly going to be very different next season.

Well, if you can get a head start on the portal and improve your team that's more important than if your guys care.

Plus it can cost you money if you host a game and your fans don’t show.

Reactions: pboiler18
This is the same as bowl games now. If it not the biggest bowls or stage, many players don't care to play. I guess with NIL money many don't see the need of possibly getting hurt.

Play the games. Get the exposure. IU is so worried about recruiting and the portal? By not playing they just lost two more players! I recall one year Purdue accepted the opportunity to play in that third tournament. Just to play basketball.

My thoughts on recruiting and the portal is if you haven’t added anybody by now, you aren’t going to add anybody by not playing.

And you can’t tell me teams playing in the big dance are not also recruiting and playing the portal. Look at Purdue and Painter. He’s still recruiting and playing the portal. He’s still going to high school games. He doesn’t have any scholarships to give but that doesn’t stop him from recruiting. He may no longer recruiting 2024 grads, but he is knee deep in recruiting players from 2025 and 2026. Recruiting and playing go hand in hand.

I feel sorry for those who say they need to dedicate their time to recruiting and the portal as a reason for not playing in the nit. Those are the same coaches who blame the refs and pregnant hippopotamus for losing!

Reactions: Boilerfla

This may seem like a dumb question, but I literally do not know:

How would playing in the NIT prevent “getting a head start” on the portal? Are there restrictions on whether potential players can be contacted or visit teams during NIT practices?

Honestly, I don’t know how this works…

This may seem like a dumb question, but I literally do not know:

How would playing in the NIT prevent “getting a head start” on the portal? Are there restrictions on whether potential players can be contacted or visit teams during NIT practices?

Honestly, I don’t know how this works…
I mean if you are coaching and scouting for games it's going to take away some ability to do anything else.

There may be compelling reasons not to participate these days, but it still pisses me off. Players and coaches are in the game to compete! I would be very disappointed if Purdue turned down an invitation to the NIT.

Just like college football bowls, the NIT will be dead in a few years... I don't believe it's a good thing but its just the nature of where College (semi-pro) sports are these days...

Just like college football bowls, the NIT will be dead in a few years... I don't believe it's a good thing but its just the nature of where College (semi-pro) sports are these days...
I don't think college football bowls are going away. Too much money. Other than the footbal "Final Four", it has far less meaning than in the past, but I think the coaches and fans like to see their teams play one more game.

Maybe the same is true for college basketball -- I don't know. I thought the NIT would disappear when the NCAA expanded their tournament to 64. But the NIT kept going, and we now see the CBI and CIT. I don't know anything about their financials, but as long as they are making money, they will probably stay around.

I mean if you are coaching and scouting for games it's going to take away some ability to do anything else.
Thanks.

Honestly I’d be more than a little concerned about a major college coach (given the vast monetary ,personnel and support resources at his disposal) who actually used this as an excuse to not play…

It makes you wonder: How in the world did Bill Self carve out the time needed to lure Dickinson from Michigan to KU amid his annual NCAA prep time?? 😂😂

I don't think college football bowls are going away. Too much money. Other than the footbal "Final Four", it has far less meaning than in the past, but I think the coaches and fans like to see their teams play one more game.

Maybe the same is true for college basketball -- I don't know. I thought the NIT would disappear when the NCAA expanded their tournament to 64. But the NIT kept going, and we now see the CBI and CIT. I don't know anything about their financials, but as long as they are making money, they will probably stay around.
As long as more and more players opt out it will kill bowl games... Who wants to spend money to watch your 3rd string players play in a bowl? The average fan doesn't want to see that... They're 3rd string for a reason...

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT