ADVERTISEMENT

NIL

Mar 12, 2007
IU message boards are blowing up how Davis and Thompson got money and will return. Are we active in this, or will we fall behind.

IU message boards are blowing up how Davis and Thompson got money and will return. Are we active in this, or will we fall behind.
I am sure we are behind. This NIL stuff is right in IU’s wheelhouse and we are uncomfortable with it and are flat on our ass. We need to ramp up exponentially or we will be struggling to keep up.

For all of the talk we see about NIL, I have seen very few actual endorsement deals from college athletes. A lot of t-shirt deals, but I can't imagine many people are actually buying those. Maybe I'm missing them, but I don't see how this isn't just a way for schools to indirectly pay their players. That Tennessee QB getting $8 million with only 40K on Insta is obviously suspect, and Ohio State pooling money from boosters to pay out everyone seems to miss the entire point of name, image, likeness (ie imarketability of each individual player). I'm all for the players getting paid, but I don't get why we have to lie and act like they're getting endorsements at fair market rate. Just make it legal to pay them at this point if the NCAA will continue to turn a blind eye to 3 of the 4 teams in the Final Four clearly cheating, while punishing non-revenue drivers like Mizzou and Oklahoma State.

For all of the talk we see about NIL, I have seen very few actual endorsement deals from college athletes. A lot of t-shirt deals, but I can't imagine many people are actually buying those. Maybe I'm missing them, but I don't see how this isn't just a way for schools to indirectly pay their players. That Tennessee QB getting $8 million with only 40K on Insta is obviously suspect, and Ohio State pooling money from boosters to pay out everyone seems to miss the entire point of name, image, likeness (ie imarketability of each individual player). I'm all for the players getting paid, but I don't get why we have to lie and act like they're getting endorsements at fair market rate. Just make it legal to pay them at this point if the NCAA will continue to turn a blind eye to 3 of the 4 teams in the Final Four clearly cheating, while punishing non-revenue drivers like Mizzou and Oklahoma State.
In my opinion NIL is a joke. As you say, It’s basically a way for schools to legally, indirectly pay their players. It’s like the old days where an athlete would get a job from some booster making $1000 per lawn mowed (illegal, but usually not caught)
I think the portal along with NIL will forever change the landscape of college sports unless the weak NCAA puts some rules in place. I think most players are entering the portal now to shop around for the most money. The portal and NIL is basically free agency with no rules. At least the professional leagues have rules with salary caps, etc. Right now, the Idiot NCAA doesn’t have any rules as far as I know because they rushed into this thing afraid they would not exist and have no control over college athletics.
I also think that NIL will cause a lot of jealousy within teams and across teams at universities, as athletes will know what others are making and will think they deserve a greater piece of the pie.

Who do you blame now for a team being bad? The coach or the NIL management team at the school for not bringing in enough cash and putting together the best packages?

I think Oklahoma State will be ok. They have the T Boone Pickens family money.

I don’t know when an athletic scholarship lost its value to these athletes. A full ride is a free education. They are worth a lot of money that a normal student would gladly welcome. I guess it just isn’t enough anymore.

Last edited:
I don’t know when an athletic scholarship lost its value to these athletes. A full ride is a free education. They are worth a lot of money that a normal student would gladly welcome. I guess it just isn’t enough anymore.
It's tough to pinpoint, but the "woe-is-full-ride-D1-athlete" narrative certainly began to gain some steam with the publication of the book Fab Five by dwarf fantasy writer Mitch Albom, in which Chris Webber (whose strong, two-parent family was solid middle class) whined about seeing "his" #4 jersey for sale in a shop window while claiming he didn't have enough money to buy a fish sandwich at Long John Silver's.

My wife was a student at Michigan at the time and remembers to this day often seeing Juwan Howard illegally parking his brand new Cherokee near one of the dorms to visit his girlfriend. I'm sure the Fabs could have easily called up Ed Martin and gotten their hands on all of the fish sandwiches they desired.

The tale was just one of Albom's first attempts at the sappy, unreadable fiction that fleeces the kind of people who trust Oprah Winfrey to recommend great literature. But that book had a hand in if not starting the momentum toward this inevitable outcome, giving it a good shove.

In my opinion NIL is a joke. As you say, It’s basically a way for schools to legally, indirectly pay their players. It’s like the old days where an athlete would get a job from some booster making $1000 per lawn mowed (illegal, but usually not caught)
I think the portal along with NIL will forever change the landscape of college sports unless the weak NCAA puts some rules in place. I think most players are entering the portal now to shop around for the most money. The portal and NIL is basically free agency with no rules. At least the professional leagues have rules with salary caps, etc. Right now, the Idiot NCAA doesn’t have any rules as far as I know because they rushed into this thing afraid they would not exist and have no control over college athletics.
I also think that NIL will cause a lot of jealousy within teams and across teams at universities, as athletes will know what others are making and will think they deserve a greater piece of the pie.

Who do you blame now for a team being bad? The coach or the NIL management team at the school for not bringing in enough cash and putting together the best packages?

I think Oklahoma State will be ok. They have the T Boone Pickens family money.

A normal student would gladly welcome a free education as you suggest. But that assumes that at many schools these are normal students; they are not. Unfortunately, many athletes (think SEC and Big 12 in particular) admit athletes that are often functionally illiterate and incapable of serious academic study at the university level. The athletes are aware of their capabilities and know well they are marginal in the classroom at best. Therefore, for them the optimal goal is a pro career it makes sense to get money along the way. Hence, NIL is a reasonable outcome in the near term.

Reactions: Bethboilerfan
Purdue announced a new NIL initiative.
Twitter
That’s a start, but it appears to be solely a player-business connection mechanism.

It appears that Purdue is going to start making effort with NIL, but they should find a way to form an aggregate collective if they want to produce competitive results.

If you want to play, might as well do it to win.

It's tough to pinpoint, but the "woe-is-full-ride-D1-athlete" narrative certainly began to gain some steam with the publication of the book Fab Five by dwarf fantasy writer Mitch Albom, in which Chris Webber (whose strong, two-parent family was solid middle class) whined about seeing "his" #4 jersey for sale in a shop window while claiming he didn't have enough money to buy a fish sandwich at Long John Silver's.

My wife was a student at Michigan at the time and remembers to this day often seeing Juwan Howard illegally parking his brand new Cherokee near one of the dorms to visit his girlfriend. I'm sure the Fabs could have easily called up Ed Martin and gotten their hands on all of the fish sandwiches they desired.

The tale was just one of Albom's first attempts at the sappy, unreadable fiction that fleeces the kind of people who trust Oprah Winfrey to recommend great literature. But that book had a hand in if not starting the momentum toward this inevitable outcome, giving it a good shove.
I remember reading Albom's fantasies-sold-as-truth in the Detroit FreePress at that time. UM had a 5-star freshman from California flunk out of school and Albom wrote a full-page article about how it was all OUR fault. Not the kid's fault. Not his parent's. The American public.

The guy was an idiot.

Interesting article: Kofi’s Decision and Impact of Illini Guardians (sports) News-gazette.com. Apparently they are trying to raise $500,000 to give to Kofi if he agrees to return. According to the article, Kofi will not be drafted by the NBA so why would he not return. He will be 23 in September. I honestly think that the NCAA has opened “Pandora’s Box” with NIL.

Reactions: Tommaker and DAG10
Interesting article: Kofi’s Decision and Impact of Illini Guardians (sports) News-gazette.com. Apparently they are trying to raise $500,000 to give to Kofi if he agrees to return. According to the article, Kofi will not be drafted by the NBA so why would he not return. He will be 23 in September. I honestly think that the NCAA has opened “Pandora’s Box” with NIL.
The Kofi charity foundation. Just like IU shifted Matta’s 400k salary to a charity foundation (kidding, not kidding) 😀.

First why do we care what iu fans think in the first place? Second, NIL sucks and has ruined the college game.
I agree about the IU comment.

I also agree that NIL is a bad thing. However, we need to be good at it or it will cost us in recruiting. It's not going away any time soon. It is now a factor and a tool that we need to have. Not just a passive "yeah we can get you a few endorsements". It needs to be a robust program that we can show recruits they won't be left behind by choosing PU.

I also agree that NIL is a bad thing. However, we need to be good at it or it will cost us in recruiting. It's not going away any time soon. It is now a factor and a tool that we need to have. Not just a passive "yeah we can get you a few endorsements". It needs to be a robust program that we can show recruits they won't be left behind by choosing PU.
Yes I don't disagree that we need to be good at NIL, it's not going away unfortunately. I also think those that have had what would have been considered 'cheating' issues in the past have an advantage. They have been at this whole thing longer than the rest and we'll have to play catch up.

Alboms - Tuesdays with Maury is a classic that every adult with a functioning brain (excludes trumpies) in the us should read.

First why do we care what iu fans think in the first place? Second, NIL sucks and has ruined the college game.

I’ve said from the beginning that the following will happen:
1. as the arms race ramps up, donors effectively start giving directly to the athletes
2. The donors don’t give as much to the athletic departments.
3. While the select athletes have much more money, the ADs have much less.
4. Athletic departments start cutting the “extras” that the athletes currently receive (exclusive dining & nutritionists, psychologists, and physical therapists)
5. Athletic departments start cutting the non revenue sports. And goodbye title IX

this will happen maybe over 20 years. But there’s no doubt in my head that it will indeed happen if NIL continues to get out of control.

I’m not even saying this is horrible. but we should be ready for the consequences. And it’s funny to me that the ones pushing for this are generally from the left… because this definitely ruins the egalitarian feel of college athletics, and promotes inequality - between different schools, between the sexes, between different sports, and between certain players.

That’s an extra $500,000. Kofi made right at a million last season. Same as Ayo made in NBA.

Kofi and Edey don’t fit in today’s NBA game. 20 years ago they would be lottery picks. Hard to take a G-league contract that would be a 10th of what Kofi is making in college. He could possibly get a 2-way contract worth a million, but those aren’t guaranteed.

They did open "Pandora's Box"...it was happening, but, they made it worse by allowing it rather than enforcing it.

Goes to another point though...Edey is likely to be in the same boat...real easy to see something similar coming into play for/with him.

The issue in this case is that Illinois (affiliates actually) is trying to raise $500,000...what if Kentucky decides to raise $750,000, or, LSU makes another "strong-ass offer" and comes up with $1m?

With NIL AND immediate eligibility out of the transfer portal...that is the kind of thing that can (and, in some cases, likely will) happen.

Last edited:

Good luck with that actually happening...

Purdue does not "like" NIL...embrace NIL, and, is already behind with respect to NIL...just can't/don't see a way that they figure it out, much less are ever at the forefront in any way.

Alboms - Tuesdays with Maury is a classic that every adult with a functioning brain (excludes trumpies) in the us should read.
Tuesdays with Morrie (it wasn't about guest appearances with Maury Povich) is not everyone's cup of tea, and it seems your definition of classic -- and class -- is different than mine. Vive la difference!

They did open "Pandora's Box"...it was happening, but, they made it worse by allowing it rather than enforcing it.

Goes to another point though...Edey is likely to be in the same boat...real easy to see something similar coming into play for/with him.

The issue in this case is that Illinois (affiliates actually) is trying to raise $500,000...what if Kentucky decides to raise $750,000, or, LSU makes another "strong-ass offer" and comes up with $1m?

With NIL AND immediate eligibility out of the transfer portal...that is the kind of thing that can (and, in some cases, likely will) happen.
Is that what happened with Skyy Clark? Illinois outbid Kentucky?

Good luck with that actually happening...

Purdue does not "like" NIL...embrace NIL, and, is already behind with respect to NIL...just can't/don't see a way that they figure it out, much less are ever at the forefront in any way.
It’s not like any of the Indiana schools are way ahead or killing it yet. I’ve not followed ND but Football schools are. Figuring out these collectives is going to big non profit I suppose.

I just saw this from Kansas St. Former QB running it so probably more football oriented. Could impact Pack?

• Wow
I hate NIL.
Me too! I knew it would be a bad thing but it has gotten worse in a short time. It turned from selling one’s image to doing nothing but using donors to give to athletes. How will this affect giving to the rest of the university? How soon will people giving big bucks want to have input into hiring, managing, etc? Just a total disaster.

I just saw this from Kansas St. Former QB running it so probably more football oriented. Could impact Pack?
The legitimately funny thing about that is the idea that it has any chance to literally be "second to none" in that it will NEVER approach what is in place at many other places.

Schools that cheated already are the ones that benefit the most...they already had these arrangements in place...they just were not able to publicly make that known.

If K-State thinks they will ever be ahead of even their rival KU, they are kidding themselves...never mind SO many other schools nationwide...especially in football, but, also in/with basketball.

SEC schools are not just masters with respect to these types of things (as they were doing it illegally already), so they already have that advantage, but, they will blow other schools and conferences away, and, at some point, it will become a case of there being a minority of schools dominating, as was the case before scholarship limits.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT