ADVERTISEMENT

NIL

Interesting article: Kofi’s Decision and Impact of Illini Guardians (sports) News-gazette.com. Apparently they are trying to raise $500,000 to give to Kofi if he agrees to return. According to the article, Kofi will not be drafted by the NBA so why would he not return. He will be 23 in September. I honestly think that the NCAA has opened “Pandora’s Box” with NIL.
You pay him so he doesn't go someplace else.

Reactions: Bethboilerfan
2. The donors don’t give as much to the athletic departments.
With TV money, this is good news for some programs (that didn't have that deep of donor pockets) and bad news for others. I think if you are a University like Michigan that have a lot of programs to support, it's not as good news.

Even with well north of a million on the table, it wouldn’t surprise me if Kofi takes a shot at pro ball. It’s risky to leave that money on the table, but he may be tired of college ball. It’s always hard to read Kofi but there are pro vibes right now.

With TV money, this is good news for some programs (that didn't have that deep of donor pockets) and bad news for others. I think if you are a University like Michigan that have a lot of programs to support, it's not as good news.
The University of Michigan has one of the largest endowments (17 billion) in the country. Their alumni donations to the university and to the athletic department are well known and enormous. I don’t think this will be bad news or harm them. (Alas!)

Reactions: titaniumbolt
Even with well north of a million on the table, it wouldn’t surprise me if Kofi takes a shot at pro ball. It’s risky to leave that money on the table, but he may be tired of college ball. It’s always hard to read Kofi but there are pro vibes right now.
Hopefully you are right. Has he declared? I am not sure when the deadline is bit it must be fairly soon.

The University of Michigan has one of the largest endowments (17 billion) in the country. Their alumni donations to the university and to the athletic department are well known and enormous. I don’t think this will be bad news or harm them. (Alas!)
I guess I was thinking of the fact that they carry all 26 NCAA sports, and now they may be going to some of their donors saying "Hey, we know you give to Field Hockey, but we really need an NIL for this guy/gal on the BB team". At some point there's a limit to even the deepest pockets (well, except for maybe Musk) and $$$ that were going to facilities and coaches may be directed to the players themselves. Interesting to note (as you pointed out above), I'm pretty sure ALL of their sports schollies are now endowed (and have been for a while) so that's one less bill to pay.

I expect Kofi to turn pro tomorrow. He listened to his brother in Jamaica over NBA scouts. Will leave guaranteed million plus in nil on the table to bet on himself. Good luck to him.

The NCAA is a joke, but I’d love to see them all of a sudden grow a pair and declare a couple hundred players ineligible right before the season starts in the fall for abusing the NIL policy. All players could keep their money but can’t play, because it’s not the players doing wrong, it’s the idiot University administrators. Take a look at the linked guidance from the NCAA and tell me that all these deals being talked about don’t violate many of these points.
NCAA FAQs

The NCAA is a joke, but I’d love to see them all of a sudden grow a pair and declare a couple hundred players ineligible right before the season starts in the fall for abusing the NIL policy. All players could keep their money but can’t play, because it’s not the players doing wrong, it’s the idiot University administrators. Take a look at the linked guidance from the NCAA and tell me that all these deals being talked about don’t violate many of these points.
NCAA FAQs

Number 11 and 12 are what need to be re-evaluated and enforced because my understanding is these are already being broken. Players are choosing schools or returning to school based on NIL offers essentially coming from boosters. It's pay for play.

Cockburn apparently had a big offer lined up to go back to ILL. If I'm reading this correctly he should still have the right to fulfill whatever service for compensation was offered to him even he doesn't return to ILL. If it dries up, then ILL could be in violation if they are involved in any way. I really hope some players see that they are still being taken advantage of and are entitled to what they are offered for the value of their name for past performances. Also, this is saying they can take the money AND still leave the school. Someone like TJD could sign 200,000 NIL deal to appear at 3 charity events (which is a disgusting sign of character for all parties involved - that's an entirely different rant) and then go pro and they will still have to pay him every cent even if he never wears IU jersey again. I can't wait until the players realize they can do this and still pursue other opportunities for their career.

I don't know why I get fired up about this because the NCAA will likely do nothing. It's why a class act like Jay Wright is getting out and slimeball like Bill Self is cutting down the nets.

Last edited:
I don't buy it...

Those guys are not likely to improve their draft stock by returning...those are not guys that are returning to work on something in their game, get better/improve, etc.

Those guys are going to largely have the exact same situation a year from now with respect to their NBA prospects at least.

I am really hard-pressed to believe that a NIL deal in most cases is worth more than what they will make playing basketball somewhere professionally.

Even if that were somehow true, is THAT really a good thing or what college basketball is supposed to be about or for?

NCAA FAQs
No. 4. Can’t use NIL for recruiting or pay to play. Ha ha ha. LOL. This is exactly what is going on and the NCAA won’t do anything about it. Also, there are so many loopholes that the NCAA couldn’t prove anything if they tried. The NCAA is weak and inept. They need to clean house and start over with new people or a completely new organization.

IMO: NIL will hurt more student athletes (mostly in minor sports) than it helps unless something changes to the current wild Wild West atmosphere. The NCAA won’t do it. It will have to be the media and court of public opinion that can maybe (a big if maybe) do it.

NCAA FAQs
Won't happen as the NCAA will never do it, and, likely lacks the power to do much anyway. As you pointed out, there are multiple violations happening with regularity and no action on their part...look at LSU and that it took 5 years to even get anything done that finally led to Wade being fired, but, they have not actually done anything yet there still. Kansas...Arizona...nothing...Auburn...nothing...Louisville...nothing.

Question: If a player is making enough from NIL, would it be OK for him to give up his scholarship but still play, allowing another player to join the team on scholarship and not be over the scholarship limit?
A legitimate great question, and, as it stands...and in that there is nothing on the books (and I don't even know if it is possible to put anything on the books)...sure seems like that could happen, and, might actually.

That said, I think it is more likely in such a situation that you would have guys leave potentially rather than go somewhere as a 14th/15th scholarship player...at the same time, if NIL was that good at such a place, maybe they would.

A legitimate great question, and, as it stands...and in that there is nothing on the books (and I don't even know if it is possible to put anything on the books)...sure seems like that could happen, and, might actually.

That said, I think it is more likely in such a situation that you would have guys leave potentially rather than go somewhere as a 14th/15th scholarship player...at the same time, if NIL was that good at such a place, maybe they would.
I'd like to see it but don't think it would ever happen. Giving up a scholie means they'd have to pay their way like the rest of us did and I don't see anyone giving up something free. If I were in their shoes I'd do the same thing if I am honest as I think many would.

Now if the NCAA would somehow forced that, which I don't see likely at all, then that would change my opinion. But right now I see NIL as a bad thing for college basketball in particular and it sorta screws over those that can't do it.

I also think this current NIL enviroment is going to cost schools a lot of money in the long run. First, I am guessing that at least some of this NIL money is coming from people who regularly donate to the school, so that pool of money might get a little smaller.

Second (someone like DDD can correct me if I'm wrong here), eventhough the schools offer scholarships to the players they still fill out the financial aid papers and the schools often get a big chunk of the scholarship money back in the form of finanacial aid and grants. If a certain player now has to declare 100K in income, I am thinking that will reduce or eliminate any financial aid rewarded. Maybe this is just a drop in the bucket, but I am guessing in a sport like football, it can amount to quite a bit to most of us.

Won't happen as the NCAA will never do it, and, likely lacks the power to do much anyway. As you pointed out, there are multiple violations happening with regularity and no action on their part...look at LSU and that it took 5 years to even get anything done that finally led to Wade being fired, but, they have not actually done anything yet there still. Kansas...Arizona...nothing...Auburn...nothing...Louisville...nothing.
You know, I was really hoping this would turn out to be a good thing. I was thinking that maybe all that shoe money would stop funneling players to certain schools. With NIL, maybe Nike would just sponser a player wherever he chose to go. Why would it matter any more where he went? Of course that required the schools to all do the right thing and abide by the intent of the NIL policy and as we can see already that didn't happen. Even in the BIG we see schools like Indiana and Illinois already jumping into the slime pool head first.

You know, I was really hoping this would turn out to be a good thing. I was thinking that maybe all that shoe money would stop funneling players to certain schools. With NIL, maybe Nike would just sponsor a player wherever he chose to go. Why would it matter any more where he went? Of course that required the schools to all do the right thing and abide by the intent of the NIL policy and as we can see already that didn't happen. Even in the BIG we see schools like Indiana and Illinois already jumping into the slime pool head first.
Very much wishful thinking unfortunately...on the surface, that likely had some merit, albeit not intended likely (and with what we have seen). If it had worked in that way, at least in part, it may have actually been a good thing in at least some way, but, it has quickly dissolved into just a way by which to cheat essentially now above the board opposed to under the table.

I'd like to see it but don't think it would ever happen. Giving up a scholie means they'd have to pay their way like the rest of us did and I don't see anyone giving up something free. If I were in their shoes I'd do the same thing if I am honest as I think many would.

Now if the NCAA would somehow forced that, which I don't see likely at all, then that would change my opinion. But right now I see NIL as a bad thing for college basketball in particular and it sorta screws over those that can't do it.
I’d rather walk on at School A and get $200K in NIL than go to school B on scholarship and get no NIL $, assuming playing time is equal.

Reactions: Indy_Rider
I’d rather walk on at School A and get $200K in NIL than go to school B on scholarship and get no NIL $, assuming playing time is equal.
True. I guess my thought was if they are already getting a free ride AND NIL I just can't see anyone giving up the free ride to walk on and then have the new expense of paying for college.

True. I guess my thought was if they are already getting a free ride AND NIL I just can't see anyone giving up the free ride to walk on and then have the new expense of paying for college.
I think playing time guarantees would even this NIL advantage out a bit. The kids need to play in order to get to the pros.

You know, I was really hoping this would turn out to be a good thing. I was thinking that maybe all that shoe money would stop funneling players to certain schools. With NIL, maybe Nike would just sponser a player wherever he chose to go. Why would it matter any more where he went? Of course that required the schools to all do the right thing and abide by the intent of the NIL policy and as we can see already that didn't happen. Even in the BIG we see schools like Indiana and Illinois already jumping into the slime pool head first.
Even if you don’t like NIL (and I don’t), wouldn’t it be moronic not to utilize your resources and “jump in head first”? Taking moral high ground to ignore a new reality is kind of foolish.

Even if you don’t like NIL (and I don’t), wouldn’t it be moronic not to utilize your resources and “jump in head first”? Taking moral high ground to ignore a new reality is kind of foolish.
Moronic? No. What you are asking is the same as asking an honest man who comes across a Walmart in the throes of being looted if it’s moronic for him not to join in. Because of course the longer he waits the smaller the tv he’s going to get. Nobody is following the rules and that’s the point

Moronic? No. What you are asking is the same as asking an honest man who comes across a Walmart in the throes of being looted if it’s moronic for him not to join in. Because of course the longer he waits the smaller the tv he’s going to get. Nobody is following the rules and that’s the point
Terrible analogy. Stealing from Walmart is illegal. NIL is perfectly legal. You may not like it (I don't either) but it isn't illegal.

Reactions: titaniumbolt
In the context of the NCAA, the way NIL is being used by many is “illegal”. The odds the NCAA does anything about it is slim, but that doesn’t change the fact that it is wrong.
Agreed.
The NCAA has all these rules/guidelines about the NIL, but the NCAA is:

1. Too weak to try to enforce them.
2. Even if they try to enforce them, they know they will probably lose any law suits against them. It has already been ruled that they can’t keep these athletes from making money from NIL.

With NIL, the NCAA has lost much of it's power for better or for worse.

Reactions: Radio Zero
Agreed.
The NCAA has all these rules/guidelines about the NIL, but the NCAA is:

1. Too weak to try to enforce them.
2. Even if they try to enforce them, they know they will probably lose any law suits against them. It has already been ruled that they can’t keep these athletes from making money from NIL.

With NIL, the NCAA has lost much of it's power for better or for worse.
I predict it will be for much the worse in the next 3-5 years. For basketball, but all collegiate sports, you will end up with 10-20 super powers and rest of schools will be left out.

I predict it will be for much the worse in the next 3-5 years. For basketball, but all collegiate sports, you will end up with 10-20 super powers and rest of schools will be
Best rosters money can buy. You are right, this is only going to get worse.
It will be interesting what the networks and media’s take on this will be in the future. Leaving out many schools with no chance of winning along with their fan bases may not be so good for their bottom line. People may stop watching if their team has very little involvement or chance.

Look at Oscar T from Kentucky.....National player of the year coming back .....supposedly over 2 million in NIL deals for next year....He wasnt gonna be a lottery pick so he will make more money at Kentucky than he would by going pro

It's tough to pinpoint, but the "woe-is-full-ride-D1-athlete" narrative certainly began to gain some steam with the publication of the book Fab Five by dwarf fantasy writer Mitch Albom, in which Chris Webber (whose strong, two-parent family was solid middle class) whined about seeing "his" #4 jersey for sale in a shop window while claiming he didn't have enough money to buy a fish sandwich at Long John Silver's.

My wife was a student at Michigan at the time and remembers to this day often seeing Juwan Howard illegally parking his brand new Cherokee near one of the dorms to visit his girlfriend. I'm sure the Fabs could have easily called up Ed Martin and gotten their hands on all of the fish sandwiches they desired.

The tale was just one of Albom's first attempts at the sappy, unreadable fiction that fleeces the kind of people who trust Oprah Winfrey to recommend great literature. But that book had a hand in if not starting the momentum toward this inevitable outcome, giving it a good shove.
“… dwarf fantasy writer Mitch Albom …”

LOL.

May I use this the next time I feel like scorning the guy’s latest soft-brained “meditation” on life? Please?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT