ADVERTISEMENT

NIL and Purdue/Painter

FirstDownB

All-American
Oct 12, 2015
For those who caught his comments on yesterday's radio show, what is your opinion on the NIL discussion? I'm caught between thinking it was a really solid response while also worrying that it will put Purdue at a disadvantage to its peers down the line if a totally passive/disengaged approach is taken toward NIL.

In summary, Matt said that if a recruit's college choice is swayed by NIL then Purdue isn't the spot for you.

For those who missed it I would recommend a watch/listen here, picks up around the 40 minute mark:

Reactions: Zaphod_B
And, while we are on the subject. I was just telling someone that the only sport I really follow now is CBB, but fear with all of this NIL shit that could be short lived. Meaning NIL is going to be pushed to the limits of what can be done to get a certain players on campus. I guess we just wait until they run out of MONEY.

What does he mean by “those guys are probably being bought anyway”? Is that a jab at the guys that wear blue uniforms?

And, while we are on the subject. I was just telling someone that the only sport I really follow now is CBB, but fear with all of this NIL shit that could be short lived. Meaning NIL is going to be pushed to the limits of what can be done to get a certain players on campus. I guess we just wait until they run out of MONEY.
I totally agree with your sentiment. And agree with the point that Purdue isn’t one to compete With dirty programs on their terms. But I can also see a lot of the clean schools using NIL to their advantage in recruiting in the future. NIL is opening more gray area to operate in.

So let's put this to a hypothetical but plausible situation in recruiting.

An in-state 2024 recruit is highly sought after by many schools. He's a 4-star, top 100 type recruit. Think Jaden Ivey or Caleb Furst. Painter and his staff has done their homework and determined him to be a good fit for the program as a player and as a person. He works hard, on and off the court. He gets good grades. He comes from a good family. He never gets into any trouble. By all reports he is a good teammate and is very coachable.

Now let's say this recruit comes on campus for an official visit. He tours the campus, gets to hangout with the team, sees Mackey Arena and the facilities, and everything seems to click. Painter shares his vision and the recruit totally buys in. Now, at the end of the visit, comes one little question from the recruit. The recruit shares openly that his family has faced some hardship and is struggling to get by. They are thankful for the opportunity for him to get a full ride athletic scholarship, but the recruit wants to be able to do more to help them. He's got some ideas of how he might be able to make a few bucks on the side and help them out but he's not really sure what is available, permissible, or how he would go about it. He wants to go about it the right way but he is hesitant to initiate on his own. Painter tells him that's not really his emphasis, but his players are free to pursue such things and the folks over in the compliance office will be available to help with that if and when the time comes.

The next weekend the recruit visits a rival school. The recruit enjoys that visit also, maybe equally, until the end of the visit an assistant coach gives a 10 minute presentation on NIL and how their school is taking a proactive approach and supporting their student athletes, even bridging some opportunities with local businesses. The recruit goes home, mulls over his options, and sees the two programs both as good options for him academically and athletically. He could truly see himself spending 4 years either place. Then the tie breaker comes. The NIL aspect. And he simply got more reassurance on his second visit that he would have opportunities to help out his family. That it is a normal and expected thing at that program. He calls and informs the coaches of his decision.

Now, in the scenario above, is this the type of recruit who would not be wanted by Purdue or who would not succeed at Purdue? Or do I have things twisted based on a radio show answer?

So let's put this to a hypothetical but plausible situation in recruiting.

An in-state 2024 recruit is highly sought after by many schools. He's a 4-star, top 100 type recruit. Think Jaden Ivey or Caleb Furst. Painter and his staff has done their homework and determined him to be a good fit for the program as a player and as a person. He works hard, on and off the court. He gets good grades. He comes from a good family. He never gets into any trouble. By all reports he is a good teammate and is very coachable.

Now let's say this recruit comes on campus for an official visit. He tours the campus, gets to hangout with the team, sees Mackey Arena and the facilities, and everything seems to click. Painter shares his vision and the recruit totally buys in. Now, at the end of the visit, comes one little question from the recruit. The recruit shares openly that his family has faced some hardship and is struggling to get by. They are thankful for the opportunity for him to get a full ride athletic scholarship, but the recruit wants to be able to do more to help them. He's got some ideas of how he might be able to make a few bucks on the side and help them out but he's not really sure what is available, permissible, or how he would go about it. He wants to go about it the right way but he is hesitant to initiate on his own. Painter tells him that's not really his emphasis, but his players are free to pursue such things and the folks over in the compliance office will be available to help with that if and when the time comes.

The next weekend the recruit visits a rival school. The recruit enjoys that visit also, maybe equally, until the end of the visit an assistant coach gives a 10 minute presentation on NIL and how their school is taking a proactive approach and supporting their student athletes, even bridging some opportunities with local businesses. The recruit goes home, mulls over his options, and sees the two programs both as good options for him academically and athletically. He could truly see himself spending 4 years either place. Then the tie breaker comes. The NIL aspect. And he simply got more reassurance on his second visit that he would have opportunities to help out his family. That it is a normal and expected thing at that program. He calls and informs the coaches of his decision.

Now, in the scenario above, is this the type of recruit who would not be wanted by Purdue or who would not succeed at Purdue? Or do I have things twisted based on a radio show answer?

I think so. I think Painter's answer doesn't mean Purdue is pursuing NIL options for athletes, but the recruits looking for the best NIL deals aren't the ones Painter is looking for.

This forum, sometimes....

iu

Anybody that doesn't think NIL is, or will be, important are going to be proven wrong. It's easy as a Purdue fan to say "it's no big deal" or "I'm glad CMP is just being himself." The reality is NIL is very important and I hope he and the university adopt a more aggressive approach to it. Good kids want to capitalize and make money too. Now that it is legal Purdue needs to have a good plan in place to help players make the most of it. Maybe they are planning to do that. But I didn't get that feeling from listening to this clip.

Anybody that doesn't think NIL is, or will be, important are going to be proven wrong. It's easy as a Purdue fan to say "it's no big deal" or "I'm glad CMP is just being himself." The reality is NIL is very important and I hope he and the university adopt a more aggressive approach to it. Good kids want to capitalize and make money too. Now that it is legal Purdue needs to have a good plan in place to help players make the most of it. Maybe they are planning to do that. But I didn't get that feeling from listening to this clip.
No doubt, it will evolve into an important issue to be addressed.

Still, my point remains: this forum (at times) goes into "overdrive" in the "over-thinking" mode.

Reactions: BBG
Here’s my prediction with NIL. The big donors start giving directly to the top players instead of giving to the school. That puts many athletic departments in a financial bind. So non revenue sports are abandoned.

In a world where genuine values are less common, I applaud Matt for keeping it real. He needs to be who he is to be successful.
The fact that cheating has been going on forever in the recruiting world and he stays consistently at the top of his game. That shows what a great coach we have here.

Here’s my prediction with NIL. The big donors start giving directly to the top players instead of giving to the school. That puts many athletic departments in a financial bind. So non revenue sports are abandoned.
I've had that thought too.

"Hello. Mr. Moneybags. Thank you for your support of our University. Are you ready to re-up your giving?"
"No thanks. I'll be donating to Fast Eddie's Ferrari this year instead."

I think these cases will be somewhat rare. And to Coach's point those programs are already doing these deals under the table.
But IMO programs that can't get past an initial distaste for NIL, even in its purest form, may get left behind.

My thought is that it is not always necessarily about the benjamins (if you pardon the 90s expression). Personal experience: Even at 21 years old I had job offers right out of college that paid more, but I turned down for a number of reasons (location, less desirable job, not good fit for my career, etc). Top money isn't always everything, and if a player's only deciding factor is the highest bidder, then maybe that player is not the best fit for your program. Having said that, I'm sure if a recruit wants to explore NIL opportunities at Purdue, we have people that can help.

My thought is that it is not always necessarily about the benjamins (if you pardon the 90s expression). Personal experience: Even at 21 years old I had job offers right out of college that paid more, but I turned down for a number of reasons (location, less desirable job, not good fit for my career, etc). Top money isn't always everything, and if a player's only deciding factor is the highest bidder, then maybe that player is not the best fit for your program. Having said that, I'm sure if a recruit wants to explore NIL opportunities at Purdue, we have people that can help.
You're probably right. And that last part you are at least the second person who has said that. Sometimes impressions are more impactful than reality. But sometimes the impression given to outsiders is not the same as the one given to a recruit. As long as we keep getting guys of this caliber in the pipeline I'm going to assume the NIL issue is.. well.. Nil for the recruits we are going after.

I agree with Matt , if a player is more interested in the NIL than the school, the degree, etc, then we dont want him.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT