ADVERTISEMENT

Nic Scourton in the portal

I can't help but wonder if this is one of those classic cases where he found out a NEW addition was offered way more than what he was getting. How many of us have been loyal to our own employers for years and found out the new guy was already making more. You expect all the blood, sweat, and tears to matter. Have no idea if that is what happened but I suspect it will become a problem for all teams.

Last edited:
I can't help but wonder if this is one of those classic cases where he found out a NEW addition was offered way more than what he was getting. How many of us have been loyal to our own employers for years and found out the new guy was already making more and we put in years of blood sweat and tears. Have no idea if that is what happened but I suspect it will become a problem for all teams.
NIL will bring this problem and our staff will need to adjust. This sucks but we shouldn't be surprised....its the system.

NIL will bring this problem and our staff will need to adjust. This sucks but we shouldn't be surprised....its the system.
it's like Pro football, and if that's the case my 100% devotion to watching my team will wane. Got to be difficult on the HC, you don't know from one week to another what guy will be on the team and how to plan. Well , at least I can enjoy the BBall team and enjoy how the kids Paint recruits stick around and progress

I can't help but wonder if this is one of those classic cases where he found out a NEW addition was offered way more than what he was getting. How many of us have been loyal to our own employers for years and found out the new guy was already making more. You expect all the blood, sweat, and tears to matter. Have no idea if that is what happened but I suspect it will become a problem for all teams.
Maybe but I think scourton was taken care of. Probably better than Greene but not as much as he will get somewhere else.

he's from the South, prolly headed back there
Yeah. Other than loyalty which doesn’t existing anymore he owes us nothing and he has a lot to gain from leaving us ($, closer to home, and more established proven coaching staff)

Portal gives and takes. This one is surprising.

Not surprising, since he is a proven commodity. He lead the BT in sacks. He will get a big payday.
We have gotten some good portal additions, but not a big time player like this. Also, most of them are high stars, but not the big time game stats yet at least.
Until we embrace the NIL in a bigger way, in football at least, we are a farm system to the bigger programs.

Reactions: Boiler8285
This. To use the bushiness analogy, how often has your boss come to you and said "Hey, would you like a raise?" There simply isn't enough doe-ray-what's-in-it-for-ME to go around for every player in every sport. The smart schools will approach their playmakers before the fact and make SOME offer (and if you don't think there's already a chart out there that details compensation by position and production, you haven't been paying attention) but it will always be in the lowball range by nature as the schools try to save some cash for other players. And that is the real problem.

Enter THE AGENTS.

And the real death of the sport. The Agents won't let schools plead poverty, they will counter with "You get all of that TV money, you can fork over some of that for your star player." And when that gets tapped into, it will be over for the vast majority of programs.

Reactions: z_one and creichr
This. To use the bushiness analogy, how often has your boss come to you and said "Hey, would you like a raise?" There simply isn't enough doe-ray-what's-in-it-for-ME to go around for every player in every sport. The smart schools will approach their playmakers before the fact and make SOME offer (and if you don't think there's already a chart out there that details compensation by position and production, you haven't been paying attention) but it will always be in the lowball range by nature as the schools try to save some cash for other players. And that is the real problem.

Enter THE AGENTS.

And the real death of the sport. The Agents won't let schools plead poverty, they will counter with "You get all of that TV money, you can fork over some of that for your star player." And when that gets tapped into, it will be over for the vast majority of programs.
At least in pro sports, the smaller market teams have the up and coming player under contract, so they can trade them for compensation. Or sell/transfer them for cash in the case of pro soccer.

This is tough.

But at the same time, I don't want to break the NIL bank for one player when we need to make sure we have a solid 2 deep.

Reactions: pboiler18
Really disappointing. Certainly the guy i was most concerned about losing. Bona fide NFL 1st or 2nd rd guy. He's gonna get a huge bag somewhere. Guy would be what maybe already a 2nd round pick if he was eligible this year?

Edit: you'd think playing in a scheme that highlights OLBs and allowed you to wreak havac and rack up sacks would be worth way more than any NIL deal. Say he only gets like 5-6 sacks next year. He's looking at a huge drop in draft stock.

Last edited:

Enter THE AGENTS.

First of all, I believe Purdue did what you suggested. They identified some core players they knew would be expensive to retain and fundraised for it. It has been discussed behind paywalls on other boards. Early on, it was noted scourton was staying in addition to a few others because of this effort.

Second, there are no agents involved. Certainly there are parents, uncles, etc that are in their ears but not agents. If there was even an inkling someone was involved as an agent he would lose his collegiate eligibility.

First of all, I believe Purdue did what you suggested. They identified some core players they knew would be expensive to retain and fundraised for it. It has been discussed behind paywalls on other boards. Early on, it was noted scourton was staying in addition to a few others because of this effort.

Second, there are no agents involved. Certainly there are parents, uncles, etc that are in their ears but not agents. If there was even an inkling someone was involved as an agent he would lose his collegiate eligibility.
Disagree about agents and collegiate eligibility. Agents/lawyers are big in NIL. Though the agents maybe accredited or a high school friend acting as an agent. This was the case with the DL transfer from Syracuse to Wisconsin. DL’s friend was acting as his agent and hard balling Wisconsin. Eventually the DL fired his friend and ultimately transferred to Wisconsin.

Really disappointing. Certainly the guy i was most concerned about losing. Bona fide NFL 1st or 2nd rd guy. He's gonna get a huge bag somewhere. Guy would be what maybe already a 2nd round pick if he was eligible this year?

Edit: you'd think playing in a scheme that highlights OLBs and allowed you to wreak havac and rack up sacks would be worth way more than any NIL deal. Say he only gets like 5-6 sacks next year. He's looking at a huge drop in draft stock.
Surprised and disappointed but it is what it is. Hope he ends up outside of the Big Ten. And he will be looking for a higher profile than Louisville. Do not be like McCord and end up at Syracuse (at that point he should just come back).

Go down to somewhere in Texas. I just do not want to see him line up against Purdue.

Disagree about agents and collegiate eligibility. Agents/lawyers are big in NIL. Though the agents maybe accredited or a high school friend acting as an agent. This was the case with the DL transfer from Syracuse to Wisconsin. DL’s friend was acting as his agent and hard balling Wisconsin. Eventually the DL fired his friend and ultimately transferred to Wisconsin.
They are "under the radar" right now, but there and behind the scenes. It's just a matter of time before they step out from behind the curtain and take the active role.

They are "under the radar" right now, but there and behind the scenes. It's just a matter of time before they step out from behind the curtain and take the active role.
I think it's the "Advisers" getting in his ear. Whenever there is money to be had. THey come out [f the woodwork. Hopefully the kid is able to choose what's best for him, and not what's best for his handlers.

Reactions: Tommaker
Well this sucks. Thought that him being a captain, the scheme being beneficial, and they made it a priority to get him some money to keep him would have kept him here. Funny though that he was staying until Christmas break too. I have to wonder also if we’d still at least have Sydnor had Scourton not been with us until going home and being pushed into the portal.

Sounds a lot like Infinity/Comcast... ;)

Not surprising, since he is a proven commodity. He lead the BT in sacks. He will get a big payday.
We have gotten some good portal additions, but not a big time player like this. Also, most of them are high stars, but not the big time game stats yet at least.
Until we embrace the NIL in a bigger way, in football at least, we are a farm system to the bigger programs.
you said it, and when we play those bigger programs most of the time we'll be doormats for them

Well maybe you get a bigger bank. Purdue either adjusts or becomes a perennial doormat.
CRW may want to rethink being a developmental program because that is exactly what we are right now.....

Well this sucks. Thought that him being a captain, the scheme being beneficial, and they made it a priority to get him some money to keep him would have kept him here. Funny though that he was staying until Christmas break too. I have to wonder also if we’d still at least have Sydnor had Scourton not been with us until going home and being pushed into the portal.
if the staff would still want Sydnor, I believe they can reach out to him like iu did w/ their RB who traned to Minny for a short time.

Bingo

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT