ADVERTISEMENT

Nic Scourton in the portal

I'm not mad at Scourton at all. Very reasonable to go get paid.

However, the grass isn't always greener on the other side. Seems like a HUGE risk for someone like Scourton and to a lesser degree Burks to go to another team and system. Say Scourton doesn't produce as well this year and drops from the 1st to 2nd round...thats a hell of a lot more than $600k.

I'm not mad at Scourton at all. Very reasonable to go get paid.

However, the grass isn't always greener on the other side. Seems like a HUGE risk for someone like Scourton and to a lesser degree Burks to go to another team and system. Say Scourton doesn't produce as well this year and drops from the 1st to 2nd round...thats a hell of a lot more than $600k.
Scourton is not at that big a risk IMO. He could only get 5 sacks and his stock will not change. These edge players a lot of times don't put up huge numbers. Look at Chop Robinson, I think he had 4 sacks and 7 TFL and he's a lock in the 1st round. Burks, on the other hand, I could see getting totally lost on that depth chart and ending up back in the portal just to get on the field.

Let's say I hired an employee right out of high school and promised him that if he worked for me for four years, I would pay for his college, teach them a great-paying job, pay for his room and board, plus give him two hundred thousand a year. I would be happy if he listened to other offers. If he took it, and after two years, my clients raved about them, I would expect him to be loyal as long as I treated him right. If he decides to take a job that pays him a million dollars and leave after two years, I'd be glad to get rid of that idiot. And I'd wonder about his parents.

I ask you. How much money would it take for you to give up your principles? Would you rationalize it by saying that everyone else is doing it?

He stayed committed. If you remember he was recruited hard after he had already committed to Purdue and stuck with the commitment.

the guy who offered him a job left. And poached Hagen. We are lucky he didn’t leave then.

he grew up 15 minutes or so from A&M and wasn’t offered by the prior coaching staff before he committed to purdue.

If the new staff is allowed to ask people to leave which they did for a lot of players why should the players be expected to have to stay all 4 years?

If staff is allowed to change why shouldn’t the “employees?” How is this a failure of principles?

I was disappointed in Matt haarms, very different situation than nic or any of brohms other recruits.

Would you hire an employee that has an established track record of jumping companies in chasing the almighty dollar? Most won't!
I do it all the time. Unfortunately that’s the new norm. I’ve done it in professional settings and for my construction company hiring as many as 30 employees the past year after reviewing thousands of applicants. Job jumping is a red flag but many times it’s ambitious kids looking for an opportunity to move up that are stuck behind managers like a lot of these athletes. Sometimes it’s because they are in a toxic work culture. Most of the time it’s the dollar chaser and that is pretty obvious. But I think if you do a lot of hiring you will see job jumping is very very common.

Reactions: mediaexpert
He stayed committed. If you remember he was recruited hard after he had already committed to Purdue and stuck with the commitment.

the guy who offered him a job left. And poached Hagen. We are lucky he didn’t leave then.

he grew up 15 minutes or so from A&M and wasn’t offered by the prior coaching staff before he committed to purdue.

If the new staff is allowed to ask people to leave which they did for a lot of players why should the players be expected to have to stay all 4 years?

If staff is allowed to change why shouldn’t the “employees?” How is this a failure of principles?

I was disappointed in Matt haarms, very different situation than nic or any of brohms other recruits.
I agree with you that everyone does it today. Job hopping is the new norm, but it stinks.

I would not have felt bad if he left to follow Hagen. Actually, I respect Hagen because he stayed for the Bowl game before leaving.

And I understood why Haarms left. He wanted to play more of a 4/5, which is what the pros are looking for. Matt wanted him to play more like Edey and Haas, which was better for Purdue but not him. If he had played five minutes a half with Haas and then five with Trey, he would have stayed IMO.

I just had a thought. If I were Gonzaga, I would offer Edey $3 million to take a Covid year. And I would allow him to play more like Hawkins during the game. Pretty tempting, I would think.

I don’t believe Haarms used proper protocol Informing Painter that he was leaving during the summer,. He should have been man enough to contact Painter before going public on his transfer, if my memory serves me correctly!

Last edited:
I agree with you that everyone does it today. Job hopping is the new norm, but it stinks.

I would not have felt bad if he left to follow Hagen. Actually, I respect Hagen because he stayed for the Bowl game before leaving.

And I understood why Haarms left. He wanted to play more of a 4/5, which is what the pros are looking for. Matt wanted him to play more like Edey and Haas, which was better for Purdue but not him. If he had played five minutes a half with Haas and then five with Trey, he would have stayed IMO.

I just had a thought. If I were Gonzaga, I would offer Edey $3 million to take a Covid year. And I would allow him to play more like Hawkins during the game. Pretty tempting, I would think.
I’m not sure gonzaga can offer any more than Purdue?

It didn’t work for haarms, he had no shot at the nba. If haarms or Edey have the right skillset, nba scouts will see that and draft based on potential. I don’t think they need to see Edey play that in college.

Gonzaga was purely hypothetical. I have no knowledge of who has the big NIL bucks. However, if I were a coach, I would tell Edey that if he transfers to my school, I will give you whatever it takes and let you play small forward or whatever it takes to get you to transfer.

I am also saying 3 or 4 times a game ONLY that Edey should face the basket and drive or take a jump shot. He sort of made a move last night where he power drove to his left, and from about eight feet from the basket, he spun to make a shot. He goofed it and got called for traveling, but IMO, if he had done it smoothly, it would have brought down the house. TKR did it a few feet from the basket, and Edey has done it from there several times before.

Growing up, my sports heroes were loyal to their team. Some were traded because the team needed the money or the player was past his prime. As stated, I admired Jackie because the Dodgers, for whatever reason, traded him to their rival, and Jackie decided to retire instead. There were probably a variety of reasons, but IMO loyalty was #1.

I realize today that pros don't feel that way, so I have pretty much quit watching pro games. I may be naive because college kids are often compensated, but that is why I still watch college. One reason I love Purdue besides ties that go back to the 30s is that IMO Keady, Tiller, and Painter all seem to care about their players away from the sport. It is also why I am unpopular for wanting Edey to take 3 or 4 jump shots per game for his sake and not the team. Matt should be doing what is best for Edey with the main concern winning games.

I like our new coach. He seems to be doing what is best for our WR and Nic. They both made great strides since last season, and IMO they should reward him for doing that. If he encouraged them to go for the money, then that is another matter, or if Purdue is being too tight-fisted, that I can see too. However, right now, it appears to be all about more money, and that is a BIG turnoff to me. And unless there is a big change, I will be tuning out college sports, too.
I feel the same and my viewing habits of viewing pro sports is almost gone.
This year I only watched two bowl games and I bet you know which two they were.

Reactions: mediaexpert
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT