ADVERTISEMENT

Next years starting 5

I believe Painter knows, the player knows and Harris knows. Harris was a very late signing and he had a lot of other offers. I have to believe Harris asked Painter what the scholarship situation was before he signed. And I believe Painter explained the plan, Harris liked it and signed.

Reactions: Gemini95
Thanks Wol. I think to some degree qaz and I are talking in circles around each other because we both believe he has a plan and we both believe that he'll be honest with the players involved. I suspect that his plan accounts for a number of possible scenarios, but I could be wrong.
No, I think he said what he said, he has a plan and has had one from the start. You inexplicably won't believe that.

Reactions: ChoiceBeef
No, I think he said what he said, he has a plan and has had one from the start. You inexplicably won't believe that.
Agree. To me there's no way he oversigned thinking "well there's a few options for someone to leave or go off schollie, I'm sure one of them will work out."

That's why Berg makes the most sense to me. "Hey Will come here and practice against ZE every day for 2 years and then we'll help you find a great fit after that." He gets great learning experience and Zach gets a big body to practice against for 2 years. Win-win.

Agree. To me there's no way he oversigned thinking "well there's a few options for someone to leave or go off schollie, I'm sure one of them will work out."

That's why Berg makes the most sense to me. "Hey Will come here and practice against ZE every day for 2 years and then we'll help you find a great fit after that." He gets great learning experience and Zach gets a big body to practice against for 2 years. Win-win.
I think you're correct about the plan, but I don't think it's Berg. I think someone else has already agreed to give up their Scholarship. I can think of at least one guy that got a Scholarship that was somewhat of a surprise. I think the plan has always been for him to give it up should P need it.

Reactions: Gemini95
I think you're correct about the plan, but I don't think it's Berg. I think someone else has already agreed to give up their Scholarship. I can think of at least one guy that got a Scholarship that was somewhat of a surprise. I think the plan has always been for him to give it up should P need it.
That would not surprise me either

I’m beginning to believe one of our 6 freshmen is a preferred walkon and he knows it but doesn’t want the media to know it.

Looking back, I believe Sasha was a preferred walkon when he originally signed with Purdue and Painter said he would give him a scholarship if one was available. When Painter was recruiting Sasha, he was also recruiting several other players. Sasha was definitely not his first choice. The other players Painter was recruiting went elsewhere. And Painter had that scholarship and gave it to Sasha. Wasn’t that a similar situation with Wadell? Wasn’t he given a scholarship because painter was recruiting someone else and that player went elsewhere and Painter had an extra scholarship to give?

Looking back I recall neither player was at the top of Painter’s recruiting targets. Many posters here were saying at the time Painter should have banked the scholarship or given it to portal transfer than to use it.

Now you're just making statements that aren't true. You seem to think that the only definition of a 'plan' is one in which there is only one course of action. I believe that Matt has a plan that allows for variables.

Now you're just making statements that aren't true. You seem to think that the only definition of a 'plan' is one in which there is only one course of action. I believe that Matt has a plan that allows for variables.
Lol I'm sorry but that's just doublespeak.

There's only two "variables" here: someone already here gives up a scholarship, or someone coming in gives up a scholarship.

So it's not really a plan if all available variables are possible.

He didn't say I'm sure it will all work out, or something will happen that fixes this. He said it won't be an issue because he already has a solution for it prior to signing.

I have no idea why you are stubbornly continuing this. At first it was, Painter never said that. Then when repeatedly told, yes, he did, now it's well that doesn't mean what it literally means.

I’m beginning to believe one of our 6 freshmen is a preferred walkon and he knows it but doesn’t want the media to know it.

Looking back, I believe Sasha was a preferred walkon when he originally signed with Purdue and Painter said he would give him a scholarship if one was available. When Painter was recruiting Sasha, he was also recruiting several other players. Sasha was definitely not his first choice. The other players Painter was recruiting went elsewhere. And Painter had that scholarship and gave it to Sasha. Wasn’t that a similar situation with Wadell? Wasn’t he given a scholarship because painter was recruiting someone else and that player went elsewhere and Painter had an extra scholarship to give?

Looking back I recall neither player was at the top of Painter’s recruiting targets. Many posters here were saying at the time Painter should have banked the scholarship or given it to portal transfer than to use it.
You could be right. One question though, do PWOs sign LOIs? I know all 6 of our incoming guys signed LOIs, does that in anyway rule them out as PWOs?

Lol I'm sorry but that's just doublespeak.

There's only two "variables" here: someone already here gives up a scholarship, or someone coming in gives up a scholarship.

So it's not really a plan if all available variables are possible.

He didn't say I'm sure it will all work out, or something will happen that fixes this. He said it won't be an issue because he already has a solution for it prior to signing.

I have no idea why you are stubbornly continuing this. At first it was, Painter never said that. Then when repeatedly told, yes, he did, now it's well that doesn't mean what it literally means.
The statement that you're quoting is a joke. It's not even a quote from Painter, it's an interpretation of what he said, i.e. 'Painter was confident'.

It seems that you have trouble with uncertainty and that's ok. I'm not sure why it's hard to understand that the plan could be that if someone unexpectedly leaves we do X, if not we do y, if that doesn't work we do z.

The statement that you're quoting is a joke. It's not even a quote from Painter, it's an interpretation of what he said, i.e. 'Painter was confident'.

It seems that you have trouble with uncertainty and that's ok. I'm not sure why it's hard to understand that the plan could be that if someone unexpectedly leaves we do X, if not we do y, if that doesn't work we do z.
No I'm quoting the PRESS CONFERENCE he gave that was also highlighted just a few posts back that you responded to.

That's not a plan, that's reacting. Lol

If you don't "expect" someone to leave or otherwise not use up a scholarship, you don't oversign. This isn't hard to comprehend.

You could be right. One question though, do PWOs sign LOIs? I know all 6 of our incoming guys signed LOIs, does that in anyway rule them out as PWOs?
Pretty sure I remember Furst signing his LOI on the news. He's a PWO.

No I'm quoting the PRESS CONFERENCE he gave that was also highlighted just a few posts back that you responded to.

That's not a plan, that's reacting. Lol

If you don't "expect" someone to leave or otherwise not use up a scholarship, you don't oversign. This isn't hard to comprehend.
You literally put in quotes in your post "Painter was confident he had room for a sixth scholarship and that foreshadows some transfers and movement." Not a direct quote.

Your last statement is 100% incorrect. You can oversign if you're willing to 1) move someone out 2) delay someone coming in or 3) have the ability to keep someone on without using a scholarship and have options for how you would do so. As stated now many, many times, I'd expect MP to be honest and transparent with any potentially impacted parties but that doesn't inherently mean that he's locked into a single path.

I seem to recall many high school athletes that were preferred walk ons having press conferences at their schools and signing something! And then saying I’m committed to that school. What did they sign? An LOI? A NLI? I don’t know. But they signed something.

I believe we all recall Eastern and his mom saying he had signed to transfer to Michigan.

Was Eastern lying to us? Did he actually sign anything?

Something nobody has brought up. Maybe one of the 6 incoming freshmen signed a football scholarship. I’m sure Walters had a few extra that he could afford to give one out. Is that still possible?

You literally put in quotes in your post "Painter was confident he had room for a sixth scholarship and that foreshadows some transfers and movement." Not a direct quote.

Your last statement is 100% incorrect. You can oversign if you're willing to 1) move someone out 2) delay someone coming in or 3) have the ability to keep someone on without using a scholarship and have options for how you would do so. As stated now many, many times, I'd expect MP to be honest and transparent with any potentially impacted parties but that doesn't inherently mean that he's locked into a single path.
Then, ya know, after that, other people posted information. Posts you actually responded to so why you are pretending time stopped with that post of mine I don't know.

Being honest and transparent doesn't involve forcing someone out late summer because you didn't have a "path" and none of your it will just work it out options didn't pan out. You probably also don't literally tell people in a press conference it won't be a problem if you're just assuming something will work out. You probably do that because you know how it's going to work out. And because you're open and transparent. And not an asshole.

You also can't simply just move someone for merit based reasons. You seem to operate under the assumption that Painter can just remove a scholly if someone decides they don't want to transfer or go to prep school. He can't.

He's told us from the beginning it's not an issue. Everyone else but you reads that as there's a plan. An actual defined plan. Not a series of reactions.

Something nobody has brought up. Maybe one of the 6 incoming freshmen signed a football scholarship. I’m sure Walters had a few extra that he could afford to give one out. Is that still possible?
No. For D1 men's and women's BB there are no "workarounds" for the scholarship limit. Period. You can stop trying. It's ok.

I seem to recall many high school athletes that were preferred walk ons having press conferences at their schools and signing something! And then saying I’m committed to that school. What did they sign? An LOI? A NLI? I don’t know. But they signed something.

I believe we all recall Eastern and his mom saying he had signed to transfer to Michigan.

Every Google link I see says no NLI is signed by PWOs. All a PWO gets is a guaranteed roster spot and the ability to get a scholarship if and when one opens up.

I think yes you can use a football scholarship in theory but in practice it's not like Walters just has an extra scholly lying around he doesn't need. He's got walk-ons too. So even if he did, he's probably gonna wanna reward someone on his team.

There was discussion a few years ago that part of being a power 5 team in a power 5 conference was that the school could not rescind a scholarship from a player unless for cause. Although a player could voluntarily give up his scholarship. Thus that led to the phrase of having “the talk”.

I believe before giving Harris his scholarship, painter had “the talk “. With someone.

I’m going to go out on a limb and say rather than Painter initiating action, I believe it was a player who came to Painter saying he would be willing to give up his scholarship in order to sign Harris. Those people in the know, knew that Morton, Gillis and Edey had informed painter they weren’t coming back. So it seems logical another player also went to painter.

Going back to painter’s press conference, he was rather coy. Almost as if the plan came from someone else or finding a hidden loophole

Well ok! That leads to basically one possibility. I doubt anybody is lying. The NLIs are factual.

In order to add 6, Purdue needs to subtract 1.

on a related note, I once completed 18 hours in the summer. And the school I attended had two Summer sessions. In today’s world it’s not uncommon for a student to enter college with 15-20 credits From high school. I knew a student who entered college with about 32-40 hours and finished in 2-3 years and went to law school.

Is it possible one of the players is close to graduating a year early? And Painter doesn’t know and can’t say until graduation day?

He never said he signed. He just said he was going to Michigan. Michigan had no comment.

Then, ya know, after that, other people posted information. Posts you actually responded to so why you are pretending time stopped with that post of mine I don't know.

Being honest and transparent doesn't involve forcing someone out late summer because you didn't have a "path" and none of your it will just work it out options didn't pan out. You probably also don't literally tell people in a press conference it won't be a problem if you're just assuming something will work out. You probably do that because you know how it's going to work out. And because you're open and transparent. And not an asshole.

You also can't simply just move someone for merit based reasons. You seem to operate under the assumption that Painter can just remove a scholly if someone decides they don't want to transfer or go to prep school. He can't.

He's told us from the beginning it's not an issue. Everyone else but you reads that as there's a plan. An actual defined plan. Not a series of reactions.
You're referring to Wol's post and the question as to whether signing Jacobsen precluded signing Harris? 🤣😆😂

I will give you credit though, your persistence on a topic and willingness to simply ignore when something you've posted is pointed out to be wrong is unparalleled and unprecedented.

You're referring to Wol's post and the question as to whether signing Jacobsen precluded signing Harris? 🤣😆😂

I will give you credit though, your persistence on a topic and willingness to simply ignore when something you've posted is pointed out to be wrong is unparalleled and unprecedented.
Yes, everyone else agrees with me and not you but I'm the one ignoring when I'm wrong. That's some high level projection bud.

Yes, everyone else agrees with me and not you but I'm the one ignoring when I'm wrong. That's some high level projection bud.
Well if 'everyone' agrees with you, you must be right 💕 I stand corrected, apparently Caleb is entering his COVID year and college basketball teams don't practice in the summer.

In fairness to you, I'd probably also pretend I didn't say those things.

Well if 'everyone' agrees with you, you must be right 💕 I stand corrected, apparently Caleb is entering his COVID year and college basketball teams don't practice in the summer.

In fairness to you, I'd probably also pretend I didn't say those things.
Lol I didn't say college basketball teams don't practice in the summer I said they were informal practices. They aren't the same as what happens in the Fall.

If your gotcha is mistaking a COVID year lol then you win bud.

Of course, that ain't the main point now is it? But I realize you need something to be right about after quintupling down on wrong.

Lol I didn't say college basketball teams don't practice in the summer I said they were informal practices. They aren't the same as what happens in the Fall.
Now you're just lying. You said Painter wouldn't make a decision until he saw players in an actual practice in October. That makes zero sense if you thought that the summer sessions were real practices.

Your posts are littered with this stuff where you're just flat-out wrong or at best logically inconsistent. Again, it's pretty impressive how you completely blow smoke and just pretend it doesn't happen. I wonder if you're trying to fool others or if you're fooling yourself.

Day 1:
Smith
Loyer
Heide
Catchings
TKR

End of season:
Smith
Colvin
Heide
Catchings
TKR
if your listings go 1-5, I'm guessing that if those players are in those spots that Catchings will be the 3 and Cam the 4. Catchings is more frail and better on the perimeter offensively. I have to see more of the new players and what people do over the summer but Braden and Trey are in there and think Cam is solid. Fletch does more than metric show and would expect him to get his minutes as well, but Braden and Trey dominate the minute usage on the court I suspect

if your listings go 1-5, I'm guessing that if those players are in those spots that Catchings will be the 3 and Cam the 4. Catchings is more frail and better on the perimeter offensively. I have to see more of the new players and what people do over the summer but Braden and Trey are in there and think Cam is solid. Fletch does more than metric show and would expect him to get his minutes as well, but Braden and Trey dominate the minute usage on the court I suspect
Serious question, how much do you think it matters in that scenario who plays the 3 and who the 4?

On defense I suspect it's matchup dependent and they switch anyway and on offense I don't see either of those guys posting up the way that Trey did this year. I'm sure I'm missing other factors.

Now you're just lying. You said Painter wouldn't make a decision until he saw players in an actual practice in October. That makes zero sense if you thought that the summer sessions were real practices.

Your posts are littered with this stuff where you're just flat-out wrong or at best logically inconsistent. Again, it's pretty impressive how you completely blow smoke and just pretend it doesn't happen. I wonder if you're trying to fool others or if you're fooling yourself.
FFS dude. Summer practices aren't the same as fall. It involves limitations on what can and can't be done both in time and type. You don't learn the same thing about players via the things allowed in the summer such as individual skill instruction and individual workouts that you learn in full fledged fall practices where the full range of activities are allowed.

You're either being purposely obtuse to try to win an Internet argument or are just obtuse. I don't know which one.

I have a question, doesn’t signing a NLI basically commit a scholarship to them? I believe I read that it does. If that’s the case can you not honor that? Wouldn’t deciding they have/need to go to a prep school go against their signing the NLI?
Yes it does. Unless the player agreed to it. But then it has the same effect of nullifying the NLI, so that it opens up their recruitment again.

Last edited:
As for new recruits, A walkon can sign a LOI. And not all players have been truthful about their status to the media. One of the six incoming freshmen could have signed an LOI and let the media believe it was an athletic scholarship.

I remember Eastern and his mom telling the media he had signed with Michigan and people believed him. Players lie to the media every day.

Maybe one of our incoming 6 recruits received a National Merit Scholarship or a Boy Scout or VFW full ride scholarship. And Painter doesn’t want to reveal it until that player’s school scholarship day. Painter has always recruited some very intelligent and well rounded students.

Maybe a player is going to be a dorm counselor.

My money is still on Furst receiving some sort of internship and no longer requiring a basketball scholarship. And this would dovetail into Painter saying he had a plan.
This has been explained multiple times. As far as the NCAA is concerned, Furst counts as one of the 13 athletic scholarships. It does not matter what the source of the scholarship is.

I think I did 1-5 but honestly I see our lineups being 1 then hybrid 2/3/4 and a 5. Some flex potential on 4/5 depending on who is here and who has earned playing time.

I said before that this season might see ups and downs as we figure out what works and guys will play where we need them on matchup basis.

FFS dude. Summer practices aren't the same as fall. It involves limitations on what can and can't be done both in time and type. You don't learn the same thing about players via the things allowed in the summer such as individual skill instruction and individual workouts that you learn in full fledged fall practices where the full range of activities are allowed.
Nice story. You are wrong on here all the time and I can't recall you once admitting it. If I'm being honest with myself I probably haven't let this drop because I find you AAF and on some level enjoy calling your continuous BS. I doubt that's much of a revelation.

If you want to win that's fine with me, I'm sure MP had 100% committed to a course of action before he over signed in November and will stick to that course of action regardless of what else transpires. There, you're right, congratulations.

I think I did 1-5 but honestly I see our lineups being 1 then hybrid 2/3/4 and a 5. Some flex potential on 4/5 depending on who is here and who has earned playing time.

I said before that this season might see ups and downs as we figure out what works and guys will play where we need them on matchup basis.
We aren't likely to have a physical four this year.

Nice story. You are wrong on here all the time and I can't recall you once admitting it. If I'm being honest with myself I probably haven't let this drop because I find you AAF and on some level enjoy calling your continuous BS. I doubt that's much of a revelation.

If you want to win that's fine with me, I'm sure MP had 100% committed to a course of action before he over signed in November and will stick to that course of action regardless of what else transpires. There, you're right, congratulations.
Who are you again and why should I GAF whether you find me annoying?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT