ADVERTISEMENT

Next Year

I guess...Purdue does not have anyone that shoots nearly as well as Stefanovic from behind the arc, and, that creates spacing as such...and, even while he has scuffled and not been as good as capable, Purdue does not have anyone close to providing what Tre does with respect to rebounding, scoring on the block if not doubled and passing out of it if he is.

They have some candidates at least I guess for those two more so than Hunter, but, Purdue is not better without any of those 3 guys.
Probably better on defense without Sasha on the floor for 30 mpg. And having 4 or 5 capable shooters on the floor offsets the loss of a sharpshooter who sometimes struggles to get shots against physical teams.

Rebounding could be an issue, as was with some of Painter's other skill-oriented teams. 2022-23 Edey/Furst-Gillis is probably a better rebounding combo than 2017-18 Haas/Haarms-Edwards or 2007-08 Johnson/Calasan-Hummel.

Last edited:
Reactions: DAG10
Probably better on defense without Sasha on the floor for 30 mpg. And having 4 or 5 capable shooters on the floor offsets the loss of a sharpshooter who sometimes struggles to get shots against physical teams.

Rebounding could be an issue, as was with some of Painter's other skill-oriented teams. 2022-23 Edey/Furst-Gillis is probably a better rebounding combo than 2017-18 Haas/Haarms-Edwards or 2007-08 Johnson/Calasan-Hummel.
Agree for sure on the defense matter...and, would agree on the second, but, not sure that they genuinely have 4 or 5 capable shooters, and certainly not a sharpshooter.

I do see rebounding as a potential issue, but, Edey is good, and, Gillis/Furst both are (but, not a lot of times all 3 would be in the game).

Rebounding will be fine IMO. The underlying numbers are there for Gillis and Furst, it's just hard to get a lot of rebounds when Zach and Tre are getting them first.

We have 4 capable shooters on the floor nearly all the time now and still get shut down from 3 on occasion, I don't see how losing your biggest threat to shoot from any spot, and on the run will make it any better.

I don't think the defense from Newman or Loyer will be any better than Sasha. We've seen how lost Newman gets at times and it's a big ask for a freshman to be really solid defensively

Purposely skipped over the last 20 or 30 replies.. Back to the OP, here's my hot take.

Regular Rotation
1: Portal pg, Thompson
2: Newman, Loyer
3: TKR, Morton, Heide
4: Gillis, TKR, Waddell
5: Edey, Furst

When Big Ten play starts the above rotation will tighten to 8 or 9.

Spot Minutes or Redshirt
Berg, Smith
I am not sure that Smith redshirts...but, a case could be made if indeed he is not getting more than spot minutes.

I see things generally as you do otherwise...and, as such, am concerned about the "2" a bit, as, they are generally pretty good otherwise.

Has the ship sailed on Morton as a Guard?

Could be interesting when it goes to 9, but, can't see it getting to 8.

Reactions: Schnelk
Oops. Good catch on Morton. Not sure about Waddell - strength for guarding a stretch four in modern game may not be an issue. Lack of quickness against a perimeter 3 could definitely be an issue.
Morton had a few good stretches but wasn't consistent enough to be the back up PG. I don't think he's a starter next year.

I am not sure that Smith redshirts...but, a case could be made if indeed he is not getting more than spot minutes.

I see things generally as you do otherwise...and, as such, am concerned about the "2" a bit, as, they are generally pretty good otherwise.

I think Morton gets a fair shake at the 1 and 2 this offseason. The way he tries to get instructions from the coaching staff during games probably lends itself well to the mental side of playing point, he'd just have to keep the dribble in check.

Rebounding will be fine IMO. The underlying numbers are there for Gillis and Furst, it's just hard to get a lot of rebounds when Zach and Tre are getting them first.

We have 4 capable shooters on the floor nearly all the time now and still get shut down from 3 on occasion, I don't see how losing your biggest threat to shoot from any spot, and on the run will make it any better.

I don't think the defense from Newman or Loyer will be any better than Sasha. We've seen how lost Newman gets at times and it's a big ask for a freshman to be really solid defensively
Good points. The grass isn't always greener. When you look at last season versus this season, it becomes clear how narrow the margin can be between a decent defensive team and a mediocre one. I do think someone, maybe Morton, will emerge as a defensive stopper, and help make it a top 50 defense again. There is a long history of that in this program.

What 4 in the B1G does he need to add 25 more pounds for? The 6'11" 210 pound Moussa Diabate? Or the 6'9" 221 pound Tyler Wahl? Maybe Malik Hall at 225?

This isn't the 90s, Waddell would be fine at 200
Well Gillis is 230 something. I hope Waddell becomes a force at Purdue but he could use a lot more muscle imo. He'll get bounced out of the lane at that weight.

Well Gillis is 230 something. I hope Waddell becomes a force at Purdue but he could use a lot more muscle imo. He'll get bounced out of the lane at that weight.

That's Mason Gillis, what 4 is bouncing him out of the lane?

Could be interesting when it goes to 9, but, can't see it getting to 8.
Not sure what you mean about the ship sailing with regard to Morton as a guard. I think Morton might be one of the most important guards on next years team.

Good points. The grass isn't always greener. When you look at last season versus this season, it becomes clear how narrow the margin can be between a decent defensive team and a mediocre one. I do think someone, maybe Morton, will emerge as a defensive stopper, and help make it a top 50 defense again. There is a long history of that in this program.
It would be nice, but, it is wishful thinking to me...Morton has kind of got that label, but, it is a product of just how bad Purdue is at that end, as, Morton is not anything even close to a stopper of any sort...he is solid at that end, which, on this team (and maybe next year's), makes him the best candidate of being a stopper I guess, but, he is not a stopper at all...he gets lost or makes mistakes at that end a lot as well unfortunately.

Their best defensive player is Hunter...they don't have anyone as good as him to replace him...so, this team could have similar issues a year from now unfortunately at that end, and, I don't think it will be as good as it is offensively...although they still should be good at that end.

Not sure what you mean about the ship sailing with regard to Morton as a guard. I think Morton might be one of the most important guards on next years team.
Could be, I agree...but, seems as if everyone has him as a 3, and, pointing out a huge problem at PG...I would have thought that Morton would be a guy to address that...it is what he was brought in for...frankly, I am REALLY surprised that we have not seen it this year at all, as I thought that we would...especially when Ivey was coming off the bench and Hunter and Thompson were both starting.

I think Morton gets a fair shake at the 1 and 2 this offseason. The way he tries to get instructions from the coaching staff during games probably lends itself well to the mental side of playing point, he'd just have to keep the dribble in check.
I don't think he is a 2 at all, but, he was brought in as a PG, and, sure seems like there is an opportunity there for him as such.

What if Newman leaves and Sasha and Hunter decide to return, 4 returning starting players because Edey will be back.

Unless Edey wants to go play overseas, he will be back...heck, I think he is back for two more years...at least...his game does not translate at all to the NBA, never mind he has tons of things to get better at/improve on...the kid has only played for like 6 years, and, look at the progress from the beginning of the year last year to now in areas. I would be stunned if he was not back.

Newman...only he knows...certainly understandable if he did not return, would be great if he does...regardless, I am rooting for that kid either way.

Why is there an issue with Isaiah handling the ball...not as if he is turnover prone?

Makes more sense for Waddell to be backup at the 4 and Furst play the 5, but, Furst is talented enough to push for minutes as a starter somewhere. Likely won't happen, but, who knows how it all shakes out.
Sorry my emphasis should be on primary and not ball handler. I think he is fine in spot minutes and he is a decent PG and doesn’t turnover the ball much but he has been a huge liability on defense. Especially closing out 3s. He’s too short to sag or help on defense and they don’t let you play in your face kramer defense anymore.

Reactions: purduepat1969
Even if Waddell is up to 200 lbs now he'd still need another 25 to play PF in the B1G.
Loyer is listed at 165 and I believe it. he makes Waddell look big. People think he's gonna play right away but I dont' see it. He gets knocked around by hs kids. Excellent player but he's going to be a tall IT as a frosh.

Reactions: DAG10 and Schnelk
I highly doubt we see much of Waddell next season, coming off an ACL injury and is undersized weight wise for B1G basketball. Morton's probably going to end up playing the 2-4 again, maybe (hopefully personally) some time at the 1 as well
There's no reason for that to be the case with a normal acl surgery these days. But didn't he have 2 surgery's?
Still plenty of weight room work he can do.
He looks bigger already and now he's got another 1/2 year. I expect he'll be mostly fine.

They draft based on potential, which still has a high ceiling.
His game does not translate to NBA...he is not a rim protector, he can't guard guys in space, he does not finish through contact well, he has shown no shot from more than 3' from the bucket and given his struggles from the line, could struggle the same with that as well.

He has the chance to be dominant and really good in college, and, to play somewhere after, but, he is nowhere close to ready to move on, and, I just can't even grasp the idea of finding moving on early to play in obscurity vs play where he is presently, and, who he is playing with.

It may not be at a desk, but, professional basketball is indeed still a job...

What if Newman leaves and Sasha and Hunter decide to return, 4 returning starting players because Edey will be back.
Incredibly unlikely, but, sure would paint a different picture...and, have Purdue in an incredibly good place.

Incredibly unlikely, but, sure would paint a different picture...and, have Purdue in an incredibly good place.
The only one I can possibly see coming back at all is Hunter but even that is unlikely like you said. I'd be okay with it, but then not sure what happens to people like Morton or maybe even IT.

Sorry my emphasis should be on primary and not ball handler. I think he is fine in spot minutes and he is a decent PG and doesn’t turnover the ball much but he has been a huge liability on defense. Especially closing out 3s. He’s too short to sag or help on defense and they don’t let you play in your face kramer defense anymore.
Some of that is him, some of it is Purdue's defensive approach....

He is an easy target on here, but, does not get near the respect that he should.

He was asked to play a different role (that in no way benefits him) by moving out of the starting lineup...it has not been good for him, and, arguably even Purdue to an extent.

He has done what has been asked of him in general...was he supposed to say when offered, "I can't play there."? He has done some nice things over the course of his time, he is a solid basketball player...people here act like he is some charity case...Purdue targeted him...at the same time that Iowa had as well for that matter.
He may have been the least heralded of the guys coming in with him, yet, was the one that played (and played well for the most part) as a freshman. Kid works incredibly hard...that is what allowed him to get to Purdue to begin with. He earned the starting PG position this year...and, he was instrumental in Purdue reaching #1 at the time in the national rankings...it is not as if the guy can't play.

Reactions: MLB007 and Level 42
I don't think he is a 2 at all, but, he was brought in as a PG, and, sure seems like there is an opportunity there for him as such.
He was a combo guard in HS, but on the whole I'd probably agree that he's not a traditional 2. Then again if Newman leaves there's not a traditional 2 on the roster with experience so I wouldn't hate having Morton at the 2 for some minutes if necessary

His game does not translate to NBA...he is not a rim protector, he can't guard guys in space, he does not finish through contact well, he has shown no shot from more than 3' from the bucket and given his struggles from the line, could struggle the same with that as well.

He has the chance to be dominant and really good in college, and, to play somewhere after, but, he is nowhere close to ready to move on, and, I just can't even grasp the idea of finding moving on early to play in obscurity vs play where he is presently, and, who he is playing with.

If the draft were today I would agree. I would expect and hope he would go through the exploratory process. I’m not sure what you mean that he can only shoot from 3 feet around the basket he is very plenty of 10 - 15 footers this year. Lately he has been forcing the easier shots and now has the highest FG percent in the big ten, if he settled for tougher shots we would see he can hit from 10-15 at a decent percentage. I think he’s a decent rim protector and in the nba he can park himself in the lane more. He doesn’t finish through contact well but in the nba they don’t allow that contact. He was a great FT shooter early on and can turn that around too or at least has the potential to.
I hope and think
He will stick around but he’s only played for 6 years and if he has a good March and draft workouts he might bolt. I’m not sure coming back for another year will help him much. You can’t coach big. I would expect someone would rather use their 2nd round pick on him than TJD where your ceiling is low.

He was a combo guard in HS, but on the whole I'd probably agree that he's not a traditional 2. Then again if Newman leaves there's not a traditional 2 on the roster with experience so I wouldn't hate having Morton at the 2 for some minutes if necessary
Some minutes maybe, but, he is not a guy that I would feel good about him being "the 2" in that he is not a 2...not athletic enough, nor a good enough shooter for that matter...he would be ideal as a PG if he were a distributor and if he could attack the basket more than he has shown...he can play where he has with what he has done.

There is an opening as it stands at PG, and, it was what he was brought in to play...I have to think he is moving back that way, but, we will see.

Some of that is him, some of it is Purdue's defensive approach....

He is an easy target on here, but, does not get near the respect that he should.

He was asked to play a different role (that in no way benefits him) by moving out of the starting lineup...it has not been good for him, and, arguably even Purdue to an extent.

He has done what has been asked of him in general...was he supposed to say when offered, "I can't play there."? He has done some nice things over the course of his time, he is a solid basketball player...people here act like he is some charity case...Purdue targeted him...at the same time that Iowa had as well for that matter.
He may have been the least heralded of the guys coming in with him, yet, was the one that played (and played well for the most part) as a freshman. Kid works incredibly hard...that is what allowed him to get to Purdue to begin with. He earned the starting PG position this year...and, he was instrumental in Purdue reaching #1 at the time in the national rankings...it is not as if the guy can't play.
I don’t mean any disrespect, he is a great teammate and Boiler. He has earned everything he has received. He served plenty of crow to people on this board especially early on. We are a better team for what he has contributed. His 3s have tremendously improved and he might be our safest ball handler in terms of limiting turnovers. My only concern is his inability to close out 3s and that is due to his height, our defensive scheme, and the way they officiate. There is nothing he can do about it, but it is still a vulnerability. If painters scheme had an aggressive trap style backcourt where you don’t let the guys catch and shoot along the perimeter, it’s not as much a liability. Or if the refs let him get in their face and there was no cylinder rule he could do well. But there have been way too many 3s dropping from him unable to effectively defend guys catching and shooting from the 3 when he says and helps on defense. It’s not just him, sasha is almost as guilty. but our bigger guards are able to get a hand in the face better.

Reactions: purduepat1969
I don’t mean any disrespect, he is a great teammate and Boiler. He has earned everything he has received. He served plenty of crow to people on this board especially early on. We are a better team for what he has contributed. His 3s have tremendously improved and he might be our safest ball handler in terms of limiting turnovers. My only concern is his inability to close out 3s and that is due to his height, our defensive scheme, and the way they officiate. There is nothing he can do about it, but it is still a vulnerability. If painters scheme had an aggressive trap style backcourt where you don’t let the guys catch and shoot along the perimeter, it’s not as much a liability. Or if the refs let him get in their face and there was no cylinder rule he could do well. But there have been way too many 3s dropping from him unable to effectively defend guys catching and shooting from the 3 when he says and helps on defense. It’s not just him, sasha is almost as guilty. but our bigger guards are able to get a hand in the face better.

I've ridden IT since he first stepped on the court a few years ago. While he may be maximizing his abilities, the fact is, he's just not big enough, strong enough, athletic enough for this level. God made him that way and it is what it is. Painter made a recruiting mistake.
The one thing he does well; hit wide open 3's, has been limited by defenses in the B10.

Reactions: MetMyWifeAtHarrys
I've ridden IT since he first stepped on the court a few years ago. While he may be maximizing his abilities, the fact is, he's just not big enough, strong enough, athletic enough for this level. God made him that way and it is what it is. Painter made a recruiting mistake.
The one thing he does well; hit wide open 3's, has been limited by defenses in the B10.
great post and spot on

They draft based on potential, which still has a high ceiling.
I dont disagree with that at all. However, I haven't seen his name mentioned on too many mock draft boards. Nbadraft.net doesn't have him on 2022 or 2023. I understand these can change frequently. I just don't know why he would leave school early to not get drafted.

I dont disagree with that at all. However, I haven't seen his name mentioned on too many mock draft boards. Nbadraft.net doesn't have him on 2022 or 2023. I understand these can change frequently. I just don't know why he would leave school early to not get drafted.
Edey ain't going anywhere after this season. He may enter the draft for feedback. But he'll be back. Look at how much he improved from last year to this year. If he works on his skills facing the basket from 15 feet, he'd be nearly impossible to stop. And that will lend him well in the draft...

Reactions: Schnelk and DAG10
I'd be very surprised if any of our seniors return. Watching the senior day video I didn't see anybody that looked like he felt like he needed/wanted another year.

Reactions: TX4GB
We simply have to get a score first guard. I would be shocked if anyone on the current roster or any of the incoming freshmen scores more than 14 or 15 points per game next year playing the 1, 2 or 3. Newman probably has the most potential but based on what we have seen over the last two years from him and his current situation it's really hard to predict what your going to get from him if anything.

For me the biggest indicator is he still won't go left. At all. If he's going to have a role at the next level it will be as an unstoppable scorer. But going to have to be able to turn either way for that to happen.
Next year.

Reactions: Zaphod_B and DAG10
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT