ADVERTISEMENT

Next 4 games

Will have to be great coaching.....other than our 3 guards we likely will be outclassed up front.

Michigan for example comes at us with 3 top 50 guys, 4 more top 80s and a Brazedlkis kid from Canada who might be there second best player who as a frosh looks like he will be all B1G frosh....that is alot of depth and quickness to contend with.

Brutal stretch for the Boilers....

This is where we will see .....if the Boilers are contenders or pretenders....

Contenders would win at least 3 of these....I would think?? Or at least the two B1G games....

Pretenders 0 or 1.
I think it's too early to say that ... terrible schedule. may steel us for the future regardless. MI comes to mind two years ago. Be that lower seed who kills the goliath. who knows at this point.

Shaka laying a smack down on Izzo in the first 8 minutes tonight. That will be a tough game in Austin. We should have a good turnout with the alumni in Texas.

Will have to be great coaching.....other than our 3 guards we likely will be outclassed up front.

Michigan for example comes at us with 3 top 50 guys, 4 more top 80s and a Brazedlkis kid from Canada who might be there second best player who as a frosh looks like he will be all B1G frosh....that is alot of depth and quickness to contend with.

Using hs rankings to determine player quality is incredibly flawed and frankly lazy.

Reactions: neckster87 and BBG

Contenders would win at least 3 of these....I would think?? Or at least the two B1G games....

Pretenders 0 or 1.

Why would you choose the next 4 games rather than the next 5?

Winning 3 of the next 5 is a huge win for a young team. Winning 2 is about what I’d expect at this point in the year from an inexperienced team. Winning fewer than 2 would certainly be disappointing.

Why would you choose the next 4 games rather than the next 5?

Winning 3 of the next 5 is a huge win for a young team. Winning 2 is about what I’d expect at this point in the year from an inexperienced team. Winning fewer than 2 would certainly be disappointing.

Because the next 4 was mentioned and highlighted in the game broadcast today.....

But pretty accurate if you have seen Michigan play.....they are pretty darn good. If we can give Mich a game we are too....not sure we can? We will see.

They’ve been good to date. Good question. At this point if Carsen is hot we can hang, if not we’re in trouble. Hopefully that changes as the season goes on.

They’ve been good to date. Good question. At this point if Carsen is hot we can hang, if not we’re in trouble. Hopefully that changes as the season goes on.
Carsen is the Drew Brees of college hoops. If he was a coupla inches taller he'd be playing for national championships on an elite team.

Carsen is the Drew Brees of college hoops. If he was a coupla inches taller he'd be playing for national championships on an elite team.

Interesting comparison. Both are fearless and extremely talented. Bree’s didn’t make it to the Rose Bowl until he figured out that he didn’t have to swing for the fences every time and was able to play within the offense and pick his spots for playing the gunslinger role. Carsen needs to learn to do the same in order to have a chance at a Big Ten championship.

Raw talent. We have one great player. A couple good players, and the rest okay.

I’m still not sure I follow your line of thinking, or maybe I just disagree. Carsen is better than any player that we’ll face over the next five games. Cline, Nojel and Haarms would play big minutes on any of those teams. EB and Eifert are not elite athletes but give incredible effort. Wheeler, Sasha and Hunter are first year players and look it at times.

This team needs Carsen to figure out the right balance between gunslinger and facilitator and for its young guys to grow up, but I don’t see a huge ‘talent’ gap.

We are beat on talent. Hopefully, we make up for it on intangibles and game-planning.
This team is more than carsen he is a talent for sure but he can’t beat teams by himself he has a supporting cast around him that are DAM good and highly talented. Judging some of these players based off 6 games is incredibly unfair to them each brings something to this team that will help win games. Haarms needs more touches in the post he’s still 7”3 Evan also needs post touches that will create more offensive scoring inside and outside. Nojel needs more offense ran for him in ball screens and in the post. He’s a matchup problem if these things happen. Need more balance if that happens this team will be very dangerous to figure out. Why most team wins when u have 3/5 guys in double figures in points. Sasha,wheeler,Tre and Eric all are very talented playing time you can see what minutes can do for u. All has things that stands out that can benefit this team as season goes on. If the offense is spread out more than Purdue gonna give teams fit. There is talent plenty of it

This team has a broad range of possibilities. They could contend for the B1G C’ship or finish 6th-7th and miss the tourney. Thankfully the coach usually gets a lot out of his teams. I’d guess 2 wins 3 losses in the next 5. Anything better than that bodes well.

I know it has been said elsewhere, but Purdue has the most exciting player in the country in both football and basketball. This should not be lost on the PR department.

I’m still not sure I follow your line of thinking, or maybe I just disagree. Carsen is better than any player that we’ll face over the next five games. Cline, Nojel and Haarms would play big minutes on any of those teams. EB and Eifert are not elite athletes but give incredible effort. Wheeler, Sasha and Hunter are first year players and look it at times.

This team needs Carsen to figure out the right balance between gunslinger and facilitator and for its young guys to grow up, but I don’t see a huge ‘talent’ gap.

Cline would not be playing big minutes on any of those teams. Yes, he's played well this year. But right now, he wouldn't see the court if he were at Michigan or FSU. That's the reality.

Reactions: DAG10
This team is more than carsen he is a talent for sure but he can’t beat teams by himself he has a supporting cast around him that are DAM good and highly talented. Judging some of these players based off 6 games is incredibly unfair to them each brings something to this team that will help win games. Haarms needs more touches in the post he’s still 7”3 Evan also needs post touches that will create more offensive scoring inside and outside. Nojel needs more offense ran for him in ball screens and in the post. He’s a matchup problem if these things happen. Need more balance if that happens this team will be very dangerous to figure out. Why most team wins when u have 3/5 guys in double figures in points. Sasha,wheeler,Tre and Eric all are very talented playing time you can see what minutes can do for u. All has things that stands out that can benefit this team as season goes on. If the offense is spread out more than Purdue gonna give teams fit. There is talent plenty of it
Treed.....I could not agree more about getting more post touches and getting Nojel more involved in the offense. Would love to see him post up smaller players and take the ball all the way to the rim. Haarms and the post in general need to be a bigger part of the offense.

Cline would not be playing big minutes on any of those teams. Yes, he's played well this year. But right now, he wouldn't see the court if he were at Michigan or FSU. That's the reality.
Hopefully you will Matt Painter know. He may not have noticed your insightful observation!

Sorry to be snarky, but sometimes you have to play with the players you have, at their current level of development. I figure Cline is the best player for that position right now. We don't have Michigan's roster or FSU's roster. We got to play with our boys. Listen, I see no need to attempt to select the perceived weakest link and roast him here.

“he wouldn't see the court if he were at Michigan or FSU” - I’m not quite sure how to respond to this type of statement. Your view seems to either demonstrate a bias against Cline or a fundamental lack of understanding of the game, i.e. the better athlete is often not the better player. My guess is you’re trolling, but perhaps I’m missing something.

Hopefully you will Matt Painter know. He may not have noticed your insightful observation!

Sorry to be snarky, but sometimes you have to play with the players you have, at their current level of development. I figure Cline is the best player for that position right now. We don't have Michigan's roster or FSU's roster. We got to play with our boys. Listen, I see no need to attempt to select the perceived weakest link and roast him here.

We’ll find out in the next few weeks, but I suspect you’re selling this roster short.

Reactions: mathboy

No offense taken. I wasn't trying to "roast" Cline. I simply stated he wouldn't see the floor if he played for Michigan or FSU, which was a response to Northside's post. Those two teams are playing a more athletic game with their guards. And their talent level is higher. Doesn't mean they're better teams. But Cline simply doesn't have the talent level to play in front of the guys getting minutes there now. That was pretty evident vs Virginia Tech on the defensive side of the ball. I don't think it lost Purdue the game, as Cline had a decent offensive game.

Reactions: James J Chitwood
“he wouldn't see the court if he were at Michigan or FSU” - I’m not quite sure how to respond to this type of statement. Your view seems to either demonstrate a bias against Cline or a fundamental lack of understanding of the game, i.e. the better athlete is often not the better player. My guess is you’re trolling, but perhaps I’m missing something.

I understand the game just fine. I guess we'll agree to disagree. And I'll continue to be civil about it.

I hope Shaka doesn't remember how we handle a furious full-court press.
It will be interesting to see with this team if they do press. Super secret scrimmage with WVU will help. Boogie could go off in his sort of homecoming if it does go up tempo.

I understand the game just fine. I guess we'll agree to disagree. And I'll continue to be civil about it.

I appreciate the civility. I’m not sure that there’s a way to definitively answer the question but we’ll certainly have more data points on which to base judgement before Christmas.

Reactions: purduepat1969
After watching Villanova take down FSU I'll be disappointed if we dont grab that one.

It'll be tough for sure, but Nova and the big east are way down this year. Frankly, I'm more concerned about Texas.

Pretenders 0 or 1.

Anyone that thinks Purdue is going to contend for a Big Ten championship is really putting up some pretty unreasonable expectations at this point. (I'm assuming that's what you mean by contenders).

This is going to be a tough stretch. I wouldn't be surprised to see us get smoked in one or two games (particularly Michigan). The key is to get at least one win in here, two would be SOLID. Texas just beat UNC....

Anyone that thinks Purdue is going to contend for a Big Ten championship is really putting up some pretty unreasonable expectations at this point. (I'm assuming that's what you mean by contenders).

This is going to be a tough stretch. I wouldn't be surprised to see us get smoked in one or two games (particularly Michigan). The key is to get at least one win in here, two would be SOLID. Texas just beat UNC....
I do think they can contend for big 10 championship and complete with any team out here. Tough stretch maybe but remember teams gotta play Purdue to no matter if it’s Michigan Maryland whoever steps on the court those teams gotta play Purdue to.offensively if the offense is spread out a little more Purdue will be hard to beat. Can’t show ur whole offense in 6 games don’t want teams knowing everything you do offensively. I believe Purdue gonna shock many who don’t believe in them.

Reactions: Schnelk
Using hs rankings to determine player quality is incredibly flawed and frankly lazy.
Real question here. I don't know if there is a definitive answer. How does one determine a players quality?

I would argue that most on this site (myself included) suffer from confirmation bias. "the tendency to interpret new evidence as confirmation of one's existing beliefs or theories."

I don't think its a bad idea to keep an eye on the stat sheet, pay attention to wins and losses, and consider outsiders evaluation of our talent to keep a check on our individual biases.

I have read numerous posters on here that have preason ranked us 2nd or 3rd.....that would be contenders.

I put the Boilers at 5th/6th in my preseason rankings. Having watched them now....perhaps 4th isn't out of the question. 3rd would be the best case scenario imo where everything breaks perfectly....which it usually doesn't. The B1G is unusually strong this year...Boilers could take losses in places we normally don't.....but then others could too.

Last edited:
I have read numerous posters on here that have preason ranked us 2nd or 3rd.....that would be contenders.

I put the Boilers at 5th/6th in my preseason rankings. Having watched them now....perhaps 4th isn't out of the question. 3rd would be the best case scenario imo where everything breaks perfectly....which it usually doesn't.
I have us about 3rd or 4th as well, not that it matters. UM I think is the top dog at the moment but that all can change.

With our youth it's going to be a bumpy and fun ride to watch this team come together.

I think we are the 3rd or 4th best team in the conference. With that being said, I think we finish 5th or 6th in conference, because we drew a very tough schedule compared to others.

I have us about 3rd or 4th as well, not that it matters. UM I think is the top dog at the moment but that all can change.

With our youth it's going to be a bumpy and fun ride to watch this team come together.
I think what we are at the end of the season is really tough at this point, and with the early conf games, it could be a tough row to hoe. We may well be a better team in Feb than our record indicates due to Nov/Dec games.

Reactions: tjreese and mathboy
I think what we are at the end of the season is really tough at this point, and with the early conf games, it could be a tough row to hoe. We may well be a better team in Feb than our record indicates due to Nov/Dec games.
I keep wanting to say that but I'm afraid guys like you will lose their shit on me if I'm not toeing the line we're top 20 next week. Hell you've lost your shit on me when I lamented the fact that Painter lost Nnaji.

Your buddy Mathoy said I only showed up after losses. Ummmm, hey guys even Sainters can lose their groove, just happens that I did last week. He will never recruit a top 20 guy ever.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT