My Notes Sharon Versyp Show 11/11/19

DocRon

All-American
Gold Member
Aug 15, 2001
Sheridan , Michigan
Sharon Versyp Show 11/11/2019
(with Tim Newton at 1910 hours)

1. Milwaukee game on Sunday - Their posts not as big or physical as some we will see (Az State or V-Tech) but posts could hit 3’s. Made some adjustments in 2nd half and got lead out to 24 pts but then in 4th Q started missing FT’s and got a little lax. Long way to go but generally pleased.
  2. First 5 or six opponents will be like them. Good 3pt shooters and spread you out.
  3. McLaughlin face-guarded an opponent who scored 31 pts previous game and held her scoreless. She has grown so much defensively and over-all Sharon “loves” coaching her - humble and so receptive. Karissa says “What can I do to make the team better?” She is a worker, a communicator and a leader. She “gets it.” Puts work in when no one is looking and doesn’t post it on twitter. That is why she and Oden are “offensive captains” and Farquhar and Harris are “defensive captains.” They are all like that.
  4. Harris back in line-up Sunday. Will probably leave Purdue as all-time leader in blocks. Doesn’t have to black every shot to influence game - just has to make people THINK she might. Guards are beginning to understand that if get beat, do not foul because we have people that can block and rebound. Versyp is really working for Harris to sprint the court and post up in transition. Had couple back-to-the-basket moves in Milwaukee game. She’s been working on it.
  5. We keep forgetting about Grant and Hardin. They will be back by end of month and we really need them as both are excellent shooters. (My comment - Doesn’t sound like Hardin is red-shirting.) They are about 3 weeks away. Excited that they are now full weight bearing and shooting some, but not yet scrimmaging. Hardin is a little further along than Grant.
  6. Talked about needing starters plus Diagne, Whilby, Makolo and also Woltman who is gaining confidence and developing. We have “8 but need 9 and eventually 10 or 11 because it is a long season.”
  7. Traylor - Has put in a lot of extra time. Shooting more. Beautiful mid-range game even when her 3’s are not dropping - which she has really worked on. So much skill and works so hard. Her potential is so high and will be one of best point guards in B1T. Like McLaughlin - so much fun to coach. Putting in a lot of extra time. “I think with Karissa next year they will be the premiere guards of the B1G.”
  8. Farquhar will play about 20 mins/game - cannot go 30 or 40 (knees). But she is a key that she does well that 20 mins. So nice to have deep bench with different bodies and different skills and strengths.
  9. Wed 11/13 is signing day - we will talk about recruits next Monday.
  10. Tim asked “How do you find recruits in Canada or Africa?” Trips help - keeping their eyes on people in Australia from trip. Has good source in Canada that dates from when she was in Maine. Girls from Canada are great students and speak multiple languages. Boudreau (in biomed engineering) and Farquhar both have 4.0’s. Foreign students are always very mature and have often been on their own for awhile. “But we will always recruit the States.”
  11. First road game coming up Thursday (Chattanooga) and that will be a learning experience for frosh (and new staff members). This is first road trip in middle of school studies, unlike Australia where they did not have school work and did not really have practices. Many have exams this week.
  12. Personality of team is “laser-focused” before games but “goof-balls off the court. In locker room I hear laughter all the time.”
  13. Chattanooga is 0-2 but beating Liberty as we speak shooting ball well, which they did not before. Have “really nice” post player. One guard shoots 3’s very well. “We have to control pace and speed them up. If we can rebound, we will run on them.”
  14. Tim says “Other schools appreciate that you as a power 5 school are willing to go on the road to play them. Some say you have nothing to gain but I think it allows you to experience being hunted.” Sharon agrees and says it is also important for recruiting - it is close to Georgia which “we recruit a lot. No one in Georgia wants to play us but we are close to Georgia with this game.” Kids and parents will come not only from Tennessee but also Georgia to see us play which is great. Allows us to make contact with a lot of people. It is a “business trip” for us as well as playing.
  15. Sunday’s opponent is Western Illinois. Lost last week to Missouri but scored 89 pts in a loss. Took 32 3PT shots. "Well-coached. This will prepare us for our Florida trip with Drake and Az. State." Last year we played them and won by 21 but it was only a 3 point spread at half.
  16. Audition time for kids on the bench. Versyp tells them when you go in, don’t necessarily need to be exceptional but don’t hurt us.

Last edited:
I agree that Traylor and Karissa will be the 2 best guards in the Big Ten next season.

Sounds like Karissa has a real focus on her overall game - that type of team leadership will make a huge difference to this group, especially with so many younger players.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT