ADVERTISEMENT

My amateur opinion of last night

BCfanatic2020

All-American
Jan 5, 2020
I’ve never really followed Purdue basketball so I have no sides or preconceived notion of anything.. I’m just gonna tell you what I saw, and you can lambast me from there

> Ivey … Is he a world beater? Or just a guy with some explosive attributes who can destroy you if you play him like he’s any other dude, but hasn’t figured out how to make teams pay when he’s the focal point of their D? I’ve watched enough NBA bell in my life to know that he will slip out of the lottery if he leaves and that he needs another year to figure it out. Obviously only a moron doesn’t know that the makings of a great bell player are there.

> I get what painter is trying to do with Edey and Williams .. I don’t think the “game has changed” in the NBA so much as the rules have changed to legislate the true center out in an attempt to artificially create offense AND that coaches below the NBA are too lazy to teach post footwork.

here’s what’s sad. Edey and Williams would have become more and more effective as teams for bigger later in this tournament.. but as time goes on you’re seeing more and more of these giant killers who can swarm the true center, deny the ball and knock teams like Purdue out.

what painter needs, if he’s gonna have a guy like Edey is to also have his opposite on the bench… a Donnell Harvey type.. so you can laugh at teams like St. Peter’s.

you wanted to hear announcers saying something like “look, St. Peter’s could clog the lane against Edey and made it hard to get the ball, particularly Down low, but look what happened when painter brought Harvey in.. Harvey isn’t trying to establish down low position on Drame so much as he’s just telling Drame ‘I can play your game, but I’m bigger, more explosive and better at it.”

and no, I’m not suggesting painter needs to have a player as GOOD as a Harvey off the bench … but at Purdue you should able to have a bench guy of that type who can out Drame Drame.

if painter wants to play the center game, which I love, he should consider having a non traditional wrecking ball type for contrast.

> to me, on the perimeter, at last nights level of play, you win with one of two types…

you can be hunter, Thompson, Stefanovich and EITHER

(1) have elite physical tools - “did you see how the little guards for at Peter’s got laughed at by Purdue? Their game was quickness and the Purdue guards were with them step for step”

OR

(2) be that guy who just jacks open amd even contested shots all day and the other team just looks drained trying to defend said player when he doesn’t have the ball (and ostensibly when he does) … a player who just seems to burn you all game long, physical traits be damned

You can’t be Neither and you probably need at least one guy who is both. Ivey wasn’t both and everyone else looked neither.

obviously painter can coach. I’d love for football to have a Matt painter … I think Virginia football never did much spectacular but one coach had them with like two decades of winning seasons.

but he is Matt Painter because he’s the kind of guy who will likely evolve before his next run in a couple years. And during his next run I think you may see some of what I said reflected.

I’ve never really followed Purdue basketball so I have no sides or preconceived notion of anything.. I’m just gonna tell you what I saw, and you can lambast me from there

> Ivey … Is he a world beater? Or just a guy with some explosive attributes who can destroy you if you play him like he’s any other dude, but hasn’t figured out how to make teams pay when he’s the focal point of their D? I’ve watched enough NBA bell in my life to know that he will slip out of the lottery if he leaves and that he needs another year to figure it out. Obviously only a moron doesn’t know that the makings of a great bell player are there.

> I get what painter is trying to do with Edey and Williams .. I don’t think the “game has changed” in the NBA so much as the rules have changed to legislate the true center out in an attempt to artificially create offense AND that coaches below the NBA are too lazy to teach post footwork.

here’s what’s sad. Edey and Williams would have become more and more effective as teams for bigger later in this tournament.. but as time goes on you’re seeing more and more of these giant killers who can swarm the true center, deny the ball and knock teams like Purdue out.

what painter needs, if he’s gonna have a guy like Edey is to also have his opposite on the bench… a Donnell Harvey type.. so you can laugh at teams like St. Peter’s.

you wanted to hear announcers saying something like “look, St. Peter’s could clog the lane against Edey and made it hard to get the ball, particularly Down low, but look what happened when painter brought Harvey in.. Harvey isn’t trying to establish down low position on Drame so much as he’s just telling Drame ‘I can play your game, but I’m bigger, more explosive and better at it.”

and no, I’m not suggesting painter needs to have a player as GOOD as a Harvey off the bench … but at Purdue you should able to have a bench guy of that type who can out Drame Drame.

if painter wants to play the center game, which I love, he should consider having a non traditional wrecking ball type for contrast.

> to me, on the perimeter, at last nights level of play, you win with one of two types…

you can be hunter, Thompson, Stefanovich and EITHER

(1) have elite physical tools - “did you see how the little guards for at Peter’s got laughed at by Purdue? Their game was quickness and the Purdue guards were with them step for step”

OR

(2) be that guy who just jacks open amd even contested shots all day and the other team just looks drained trying to defend said player when he doesn’t have the ball (and ostensibly when he does) … a player who just seems to burn you all game long, physical traits be damned

You can’t be Neither and you probably need at least one guy who is both. Ivey wasn’t both and everyone else looked neither.

obviously painter can coach. I’d love for football to have a Matt painter … I think Virginia football never did much spectacular but one coach had them with like two decades of winning seasons.

but he is Matt Painter because he’s the kind of guy who will likely evolve before his next run in a couple years. And during his next run I think you may see some of what I said reflected.
Good post. Except Ivey is going top 5.

The easiest way to stop teams from being able to clog up the lane and cause trouble for your big center, be able to hit from the outside. At the end of season, we didn't have that consistent outside threat, we had some guys that could occasionally hit down an open three pointer, but not consistently enough that you really had to worry about the perimeter and could clog up the lane, daring us to beat you from distance, which we couldn't.

He could, you know more than me. You probably watched 30 some games.. I saw a few. And admittedly I know nothing about Purdue basketball
it’s more that wide open NBA offenses are better suited for his talents than our post centric offense. He needs to play with bigs like Jaren Jackson, Myles Turner, etc.

Reactions: BCfanatic2020
Man…that was ALMOST as bad as your football posts. Ivey did himself no favors last night bet he’s not falling out of the lottery. Depending on the way the winds shift on Thursdays in the spring he could even jump a few spots.

4-5 to me is logically where he’s picked.

Reactions: Zaphod_B
Man…that was ALMOST as bad as your football posts. Ivey did himself no favors last night bet he’s not falling out of the lottery. Depending on the way the winds shift on Thursdays in the spring he could even jump a few spots.

4-5 to me is logically where he’s picked.
Wait, who ever said I thought I was good?

I’ve never really followed Purdue basketball

it’s quite obvious with your last quote that you don’t watch Purdue basketball because he will never evolve. Good coaches scout other teams and exploit their weakness. Painters plan is the same every game… play man to man defense on one end and pound the ball in the paint on the other. If it doesn’t work, he’s got nothing.

it’s quite obvious with your last quote that you don’t watch Purdue basketball because he will never evolve. Good coaches scout other teams and exploit their weakness. Painters plan is the same every game… play man to man defense on one end and pound the ball in the paint on the other. If it doesn’t work, he’s got nothing.
🥺

You are over simplifying too much. Painters offense is so much more complicated, but then again, if you don’t watch Purdue basketball, or don’t understand the subtleties of the game, then you can arrive at erroneous conclusions such as your’s above.

:cool:

You are over simplifying too much. Painters offense is so much more complicated, but then again, if you don’t watch Purdue basketball, or don’t understand the subtleties of the game, then you can arrive at erroneous conclusions such as your’s above.

I watch every game and understand everything… I think you are the one not watching.

I'm not sure how erroneous it really is. Can you point out the "subtle" changes Painter has made to improve weak side help defense this past year? I haven't seen any. We continue to collapse to the guy driving in the paint, leaving shooters open in the corner or on the wing, over and over and over again. What specific adjustments has Painter made to improve that? Because I haven't see any...

Reactions: pboiler18
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT