ADVERTISEMENT

Murphy as power forward?! SMDH

McBride leaving is baffling, the girl probably would have been a 25-30 min player, Sharon needs to check the 5th year transfer market and see if anyone worth a damn is out there!

Purdue will have a winning team this year and may be in the top 5 in the BT despite the unfortunate loss of MCBryde which you cannot put lipstick on.
They have an abundance of talented perimeter players and Harris is a star in the making, but somehow V has to have some relief for her or if she gets into foul trouble. Right now what that will look like is up in the air, a clear team weakness. But if we forget going for a national championship, this can be a really fun team to watch. Given the dearth of high level WBB players available, Purdue is in the same boat as over 90 % of teams.

McBride leaving is baffling, the girl probably would have been a 25-30 min player, Sharon needs to check the 5th year transfer market and see if anyone worth a damn is out there!

That train has left the station!

With our new AD who had the balls to can Haze, Bobinski needs to show the same gumption yet again. Fire Versyp and bring Stephie White in from Vandy.

There. I said it. Pay out the big bucks and bring Stephie home.
I like Stephie, but how much experience has she had coaching and recruiting at major college level? I ask just to clarify, not to challenge. She might be worth taking a flyer on, even if inexperienced.

I like Stephie, but how much experience has she had coaching and recruiting at major college level? I ask just to clarify, not to challenge. She might be worth taking a flyer on, even if inexperienced.

Read the story carefully:

http://www.tennessean.com/story/spo...coach-stephanie-white-money-matters/84880002/

Thanks for the link Des.

She took the Fever to the WNBA finals in 2015. Su she has shown her coaching skills. Then she switched to Vandy in 2016. She has a year of D1 coaching experience - not a lot. Got to a 14-16 record last year, but the look of her recruiting class that year, she had to rebuild a bit. I don't have the inside scope on the poor performance, but the SEC is tough in WBB.

Her recruiting has been very good, with 2 x 5* recruits in 2016, and one 5* in 2017, so far. Stephie is very personable and welcoming, so I suspect she might be a better recruiter than our current coach. Maybe we can pry her away from Vandy some day. She would be a good fit at Purdue.

Yes the fact that she can get 5* players and Sharon can't is telling. Versyp can coach. She just does not have the horses and probably won't. One's alma mater, especially when you had outstanding success, is a big draw. I am sure Bobo is aware. If not much happens for Versyp he may pull the trigger and Steph has a perfect reason to leave that no one but die-hard Vandy fans can be upset with her about. Bill Self went to Kansas and Roy Williams to NC leaving outstanding winning programs. Purdue would do well to consider, but don't know if they will. Lots of $ to a program that does not make money. And if so though prob better to do it sooner than later before Steph makes Vandy into a power or doesn't so it doesn't matter much. Will be interesting. Only a few coaches can recruit nationally and none would consider Purdue except White. It is probably our only shot to return to the glory days.

Yes the fact that she can get 5* players and Sharon can't is telling. Versyp can coach. She just does not have the horses and probably won't. One's alma mater, especially when you had outstanding success, is a big draw. I am sure Bobo is aware. If not much happens for Versyp he may pull the trigger and Steph has a perfect reason to leave that no one but die-hard Vandy fans can be upset with her about. Bill Self went to Kansas and Roy Williams to NC leaving outstanding winning programs. Purdue would do well to consider, but don't know if they will. Lots of $ to a program that does not make money. And if so though prob better to do it sooner than later before Steph makes Vandy into a power or doesn't so it doesn't matter much. Will be interesting. Only a few coaches can recruit nationally and none would consider Purdue except White. It is probably our only shot to return to the glory days.

It was just a short time ago that posters on this site said that SV couldn't recruit an Indiana Miss Basketball. Well, she has one in this year's class. Steph has ONE five star player, as evaluated by ESPN. I don't know anything about her, but there is more to recruiting than the number of stars ESPN gives. What kind of person is the player? Does the player fit into our system? Do our coaches agree with ESPN?
I think there is optimism about this year's team. Let's relax and see what happens.

It was just a short time ago that posters on this site said that SV couldn't recruit an Indiana Miss Basketball. Well, she has one in this year's class. Steph has ONE five star player, as evaluated by ESPN. I don't know anything about her, but there is more to recruiting than the number of stars ESPN gives. What kind of person is the player? Does the player fit into our system? Do our coaches agree with ESPN?
I think there is optimism about this year's team. Let's relax and see what happens.

There was a lot of optimism at the end of the season. Then we lost two non senior starters and two of our more highly ranked recruits and two of our three best frontcourt players and despite the losses did nothing to mitigate their losses. Notre Dame lost a Kentucky and Indiana basketball but added an All Big Ten caliber frontcourt transfer. Those are optimism dashing actions which happen with far too much frequency!

OK, we have an Indiana Miss BB. I'm glad we got her but over the past ten years, how many of IN's top players end up at Notre Dame, Louisville, Kentucky or elswhere? And then there's the transfers.

The perfect scenario who be to get Stephie back at Purdue and leave her asst Carolyn Peck at Vandy as HC :)

Last edited:
Des Horrocks and McBride were the two front court players; Who were the two non-senior starters and who were the two highly rated recruits we lost?

Des Horrocks and McBride were the two front court players; Who were the two non-senior starters and who were the two highly rated recruits we lost?

They each were all three! Both were Top 100, one Top 40 recruits. Our three best front court players were Harris, McBryde and Horricks. They were both non senior starters.

If we ever make a change I sincerely hope White is not on the list. She is not nearly proven enough to take on that baggage.

They each were all three! Both were Top 100, one Top 40 recruits. Our three best front court players were Harris, McBryde and Horricks. They were both non senior starters.

We lost McBryde and Horrocks. Your post made it sound as if we lost lots more. The loss of Horrocks may prove to be a positive. Did you ever see anything that makes you think she is difference maker? Three freshmen are six feet or more and two are as tall as McBryde. Keys and Oden were both underrated by the "experts." Maybe one or more of these frosh will help..

Reactions: DocRon
We lost McBryde and Horrocks. Your post made it sound as if we lost lots more. The loss of Horrocks may prove to be a positive. Did you ever see anything that makes you think she is difference maker? Three freshmen are six feet or more and two are as tall as McBryde. Keys and Oden were both underrated by the "experts." Maybe one or more of these frosh will help..

One thing anyone who follows sports knows is that wth few exceptions, after following a coach for eleven years there are not many changes in results. A 64% overall record at one school and a 59% record in conference play does not portend many Big Ten champs and the notion of a national championship is pretty much a pipe dream. Take away the first three years when she was playing with some talent she inherited and she's 12 games over .500 in conference. Interestingly, is if you add her Indiana and Maine records she was 64% overall and 59% in conference. In other words she has performed at about the exact same level regardless of where she was. You're getting just what you should have expected. Nothing more, nothing less. If you do not think unexpectedly losing two highly recruited veterans from your starting front court and replacing them with three unproven and not highly recruited newcomers can put a damper on what was an outstanding comeback season then just how bad do you want it to be?

Last edited:

Grin, I thought the same reading Des' post. I do not visit the board very often during the summer so I was in shock as to how (apparently) we had lost 6 highly desirable players. But no, just unclear posting that (purposefully?) exaggerates our situation.

I look forward to this next season and, as always, will be proud of our team regardless.

Grin, I thought the same reading Des' post. I do not visit the board very often during the summer so I was in shock as to how (apparently) we had lost 6 highly desirable players. But no, just unclear posting that (purposefully?) exaggerates our situation.

I look forward to this next season and, as always, will be proud of our team regardless.

Who ever said that taking an objective view of a program, based on history, statistics, trends and facts has anything to do with supporting them,wanting them to win and taking pride in them when they perform consistently. What have you seen that indicates a coach with more than 15 years experience is going to suddenly dramatically increase their overall and conference winning percentages that have held true through her entire career?

Who ever said that taking an objective view of a program, based on history, statistics, trends and facts has anything to do with supporting them,wanting them to win and taking pride in them when they perform consistently. What have you seen that indicates a coach with more than 15 years experience is going to suddenly dramatically increase their overall and conference winning percentages that have held true through her entire career?

Des, I am not sure why you would post that reply to my post which had nothing to do with any of the issues you brought up. I was responding with some irony about your post which misleadingly (at least to me) seemed to indicate we had lost 6 athletes from last year's team.

There was a lot of optimism at the end of the season. Then we lost two non senior starters and two of our more highly ranked recruits and two of our three best frontcourt players and despite the losses did nothing to mitigate their losses. Notre Dame lost a Kentucky and Indiana basketball but added an All Big Ten caliber frontcourt transfer. Those are optimism dashing actions which happen with far too much frequency!

Corrected to satisfy concerns. "Then we lost two non senior starters who happened to be two of our more highly ranked recruits and also two of our three best returning frontcourt players and despite the losses did nothing to mitigate their impact."

Reactions: TheBoris
There is no reason for Purdue to be average in womens hoop - period. Bobinski has made it clear that he has higher expectations for his department. So Versyp has to go - period.

Look what has happened to Purdue football when it was allowed to falter - IU has stepped in to fill the gap. Notre Dame did the same thing in womens hoops and IU hoops is getting better. Time to put a winner back in charge of womens hoops.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT