ADVERTISEMENT

More examples of the peacefulness of the BLM.

I do not know if you are familiar with the case, but the Mayor of Baltimore (outgoing) proposed the payment in the immediate aftermath of charges being filed. In negotiating the deal the city accepted all civil liability and did not acknowledge any wrongdoing by police. The state of Maryland has a $400,000 cap on civil lawsuits.
so this ought to be fun, so why do you think the guy is dead? Did the handcuffed guy kill himself? Police are just innocent victims of a dead man?

so this ought to be fun, so why do you think the guy is dead? Did the handcuffed guy kill himself? Police are just innocent victims of a dead man?

Oh please, tell us with specificity why Gray is dead?

I do not know if you are familiar with the case, but the Mayor of Baltimore (outgoing) proposed the payment in the immediate aftermath of charges being filed. In negotiating the deal the city accepted all civil liability and did not acknowledge any wrongdoing by police. The state of Maryland has a $400,000 cap on civil lawsuits.
So in your opinion, why would the city do this? “This settlement is being proposed solely because it is in the best interest of the city, and avoids costly and protracted litigation that would only make it more difficult for our city to heal and potentially cost taxpayers many millions more in damages,” Rawlings-Blake said in a statement.
Is she is blatantly lying?

So in your opinion, why would the city do this? “This settlement is being proposed solely because it is in the best interest of the city, and avoids costly and protracted litigation that would only make it more difficult for our city to heal and potentially cost taxpayers many millions more in damages,” Rawlings-Blake said in a statement.
Is she is blatantly lying?

You can google and read about Maryland laws and Baltimore's litigation and settlement history. It is very possible because of the cap on liability awards that she did Gray's famiky a huge favor.

You decide: http://www.baltimoresun.com/news/maryland/freddie-gray/bs-md-ci-boe-20150908-story.html

You can google and read about Maryland laws and Baltimore's litigation and settlement history. It is very possible because of the cap on liability awards that she did Gray's famiky a huge favor.

You decide: http://www.baltimoresun.com/news/maryland/freddie-gray/bs-md-ci-boe-20150908-story.html
uh huh so there must have been a reason...right? Like a history of people being injured in police vehicles.
The city paid $6 million about a decade ago to a man who became paralyzed from the neck down as the result of a police van ride. A jury had awarded Jeffrey Alston $39 million in the 2004 case, but the amount was reduced through a settlement.
In another case, the state Court of Special Appeals reduced a $7.4 million jury award to the family of Dondi Johnson Sr. to $219,000. Johnson was paralyzed, and died two weeks later, after a 2005 police van ride that fractured his neck.

uh huh so there must have been a reason...right? Like a history of people being injured in police vehicles.
The city paid $6 million about a decade ago to a man who became paralyzed from the neck down as the result of a police van ride. A jury had awarded Jeffrey Alston $39 million in the 2004 case, but the amount was reduced through a settlement.
In another case, the state Court of Special Appeals reduced a $7.4 million jury award to the family of Dondi Johnson Sr. to $219,000. Johnson was paralyzed, and died two weeks later, after a 2005 police van ride that fractured his neck.[/QUOTE

And a history of settlements being reduced when awarded in jury trials. The average payment to families of 911 survivors was $1.8 million.

So if we know this, why wasn't he secured guys??? That's what this whole thing boils down to!
Who knew this information? I skimmed the stories and didn't see any attribution for the source. So, it's somewhat of a leap to suggest that the officers involved knew it...at least for the time being.

Who knew this information? I skimmed the stories and didn't see any attribution for the source. So, it's somewhat of a leap to suggest that the officers involved knew it...at least for the time being.

My point is that it is a lame defense when talking about "what's the right thing to do?" Handcuffing someone and putting them, unsecured, in the back of a metal box that's traveling across a city doesn't seem like "protecting" or "serving" anyone. It seems reckless and careless even if it's not criminal. I think we can and should ask better of our police than to treat people that way.

I 100% expect that these police will be acquitted on criminal charges, but that does not mean they're not in the right. There's a distinction there where we absolutely can pass judgment without due process, and we do it all the time as a society.

I point, again, to OJ Simpson, where there is not one rational person who thinks he didn't do anything wrong to Nicole (abuse, murder, etc.), yet he was never convicted on criminal charges. I believe 100% he murdered both Nicole and Ron, and I'm pretty sure des, Bruce, etc. would also believe that. If not, well, there's not much further discussion to be had!

The bottom line is that our criminal justice system doesn't always get it right in terms of identifying and punishing "wrongdoers".

My point is that it is a lame defense when talking about "what's the right thing to do?" Handcuffing someone and putting them, unsecured, in the back of a metal box that's traveling across a city doesn't seem like "protecting" or "serving" anyone. It seems reckless and careless even if it's not criminal. I think we can and should ask better of our police than to treat people that way.

I 100% expect that these police will be acquitted on criminal charges, but that does not mean they're not in the right. There's a distinction there where we absolutely can pass judgment without due process, and we do it all the time as a society.

I point, again, to OJ Simpson, where there is not one rational person who thinks he didn't do anything wrong to Nicole (abuse, murder, etc.), yet he was never convicted on criminal charges. I believe 100% he murdered both Nicole and Ron, and I'm pretty sure des, Bruce, etc. would also believe that. If not, well, there's not much further discussion to be had!

The bottom line is that our criminal justice system doesn't always get it right in terms of identifying and punishing "wrongdoers".
Problem is, you cannot handcuff someone with hands behind the back and also put him into a seat with a seat belt. There is no police jurisdiction in the nation that does this and if they did, that in itself could be construed as torturing the suspect. If the suspect is handcuffed with hands in front, he is then capable of grabbing a cop's gun, injuring cops or other prisoners, etc.

So if you are proposing a solution, you need to propose something that is practical and can be implemented everywhere.

By the way, there is zero evidence that Freddie was given a "rough ride". Not one witness has reported it and all cops involved vigorously deny it.

OK. I just don't get that point from "So if we know this, why wasn't he secured guys???"

OK. I just don't get that point from "So if we know this, why wasn't he secured guys???"
It was an equally pointless response to the nonsense that was posted. People want to say "Gray just threw himself into the walls of the van and killed himself; the cops did nothing wrong." They may not be criminally liable, but there's definitely an area there where they should recognize what's happening (intentionally by Gray or accidentally through their own driving) and correct it. In fact, they are obligated to do so.

I'm guessing a civil trial finds in favor of the Gray family, regardless of if the police are convicted or not.

Problem is, you cannot handcuff someone with hands behind the back and also put him into a seat with a seat belt. There is no police jurisdiction in the nation that does this and if they did, that in itself could be construed as torturing the suspect. If the suspect is handcuffed with hands in front, he is then capable of grabbing a cop's gun, injuring cops or other prisoners, etc.

So if you are proposing a solution, you need to propose something that is practical and can be implemented everywhere.

By the way, there is zero evidence that Freddie was given a "rough ride". Not one witness has reported it and all cops involved vigorously deny it.
Didn't say anything about a rough ride at all. Traveling around in a paddy wagon, unsecured, while handcuffed isn't what I'd call safe.

The solution I propose involves the safe transport of suspects from the location where they're arrested to "central booking" or wherever they go. The correct number of suspects who die in transit while under police custody is zero. I'm not a cop, so it isn't my bag to determine what the solution is, only that my expectation as a citizen is that if I or anyone else is arrested and in police custody, I should not have any reason to question whether or not I will survive the transport.

So if we know this, why wasn't he secured guys??? That's what this whole thing boils down to!

If you read the story it identifies detectives investigating the incident as having discovered he had a history. It does not suggest that the officers involved were aware on the history.
It was an equally pointless response to the nonsense that was posted. People want to say "Gray just threw himself into the walls of the van and killed himself; the cops did nothing wrong." They may not be criminally liable, but there's definitely an area there where they should recognize what's happening (intentionally by Gray or accidentally through their own driving) and correct it. In fact, they are obligated to do so.

I'm guessing a civil trial finds in favor of the Gray family, regardless of if the police are convicted or not.

There will be no civil suit. The $6.5 million settled civil claims.

Didn't say anything about a rough ride at all. Traveling around in a paddy wagon, unsecured, while handcuffed isn't what I'd call safe.

The solution I propose involves the safe transport of suspects from the location where they're arrested to "central booking" or wherever they go. The correct number of suspects who die in transit while under police custody is zero. I'm not a cop, so it isn't my bag to determine what the solution is, only that my expectation as a citizen is that if I or anyone else is arrested and in police custody, I should not have any reason to question whether or not I will survive the transport.
It's really hard to understand why this is controversial. It's hard to understand why there is even a "liberal/conservative" divide.

So if they didn't do anything wrong, why did the City pay $6.4 million dollars in damages?

I think a bunch of pissed off Baltimore taxpayers may be asking the same thing. Who settles a lawsuit before trial? Who settles a lawsuit when there is a state cap of $400,000 and a history of Maryland courts slashing multi million dollar jury awards to less than the cap.

I think a bunch of pissed off Baltimore taxpayers may be asking the same thing. Who settles a lawsuit before trial? Who settles a lawsuit when there is a state cap of $400,000 and a history of Maryland courts slashing multi million dollar jury awards to less than the cap.
Or it could be that the City knew damn good an well that the cops were careless, reckless, negligent, whatever word you want to throw out there.

So if they didn't do anything wrong, why did the City pay $6.4 million dollars in damages?
Or it could be that the City knew damn good an well that the cops were careless, reckless, negligent, whatever word you want to throw out there.
I don't know whether you're just playing dumb or if you really don't get it. Did you read the links that I posted above? Here's a verbatim quotation:

"The defense attorneys said in a court motion Thursday that Assistant State's Attorney Janice Bledsoe told police investigators working the case in its early stages not to "do the defense attorneys' jobs for them" by pursuing information they had about such schemes and evidence that Gray "intentionally injured himself at the Baltimore City Detention Center."

Bledsoe, the lead prosecutor in the case against the officers, represented Gray in a 2012 case in which he pleaded guilty to possession of cocaine.

The defense attorneys argued that her alleged statement "would seem to indicate some level of knowledge that exculpatory evidence exists which could benefit the officers charged in Mr. Gray's death and that the prosecutor did not want this information uncovered by investigators."

So that explains the African-American judge acquitting three of the four of ALL charges? The fourth man's trial ended in a hung jury. Two more trials to go.

http://www.baltimoresun.com/news/ma...-the-freddie-gray-hearing-20150901-story.html

Good grief. It's like talking to a wall... Do you really not understand the difference between doing something wrong (being careless, negligent, reckless) and being criminally convicted? Do I have to point to OJ again?

If the police did everything properly, why did the City pay $6.4million dollars to the family without a trial?

I don't know whether you're just playing dumb or if you really don't get it. Did you read the links that I posted above? Here's a verbatim quotation:

"The defense attorneys said in a court motion Thursday that Assistant State's Attorney Janice Bledsoe told police investigators working the case in its early stages not to "do the defense attorneys' jobs for them" by pursuing information they had about such schemes and evidence that Gray "intentionally injured himself at the Baltimore City Detention Center."

Bledsoe, the lead prosecutor in the case against the officers, represented Gray in a 2012 case in which he pleaded guilty to possession of cocaine.

The defense attorneys argued that her alleged statement "would seem to indicate some level of knowledge that exculpatory evidence exists which could benefit the officers charged in Mr. Gray's death and that the prosecutor did not want this information uncovered by investigators."

Not arguing criminal cases guys... different standard of proof..................................

Good grief. It's like talking to a wall... Do you really not understand the difference between doing something wrong (being careless, negligent, reckless) and being criminally convicted? Do I have to point to OJ again?

If the police did everything properly, why did the City pay $6.4million dollars to the family without a trial?
I tried the OJ angle even earlier in this thread than you did. Crickets.

Not arguing criminal cases guys... different standard of proof..................................

You are still arguing for a civil case when it's already off the table. The Mayor will not run for real-election. After delivering almost four times the settlement of a 9/11 victim and $6 million plus more than the court reduced settlement in a similar case she likely saved herself the agony of a bitter defeat at the hands of a less than pleased populace. The rioting , burning down of parts of the city, an unprecedented wave of homicides in the aftermath of the indictment of the police officer and the possible disbarment of the prosecutor who rushed to judgement have cast a pall over the city for two years.

In my humble opinion there is no comparison with the O.J. Case. Simpson was acquitted in a jury trial and race was a major issue because it was a black and white crime. An African American judge is presiding over a case prosecuted by a Black woman in a city with a Black Mayor, a majority Black population, a majority Black City Council, a police force predominately men and women of color and the case involves both Black and White officers accused of causing the death of a Black man.

You are still arguing for a civil case when it's already off the table. The Mayor will not run for real-election. After delivering almost four times the settlement of a 9/11 victim and $6 million plus more than the court reduced settlement in a similar case she likely saved herself the agony of a bitter defeat at the hands of a less than pleased populace. The rioting , burning down of parts of the city, an unprecedented wave of homicides in the aftermath of the indictment of the police officer and the possible disbarment of the prosecutor who rushed to judgement have cast a pall over the city for two years.

In my humble opinion there is no comparison with the O.J. Case. Simpson was acquitted in a jury trial and race was a major issue because it was a black and white crime. An African American judge is presiding over a case prosecuted by a Black woman in a city with a Black Mayor, a majority Black population, a majority Black City Council, a police force predominately men and women of color and the case involves both Black and White officers accused of causing the death of a Black man.
You know exactly what he is talking about RE: OJ, you are just being purposefully obtuse about it.

Reactions: gr8indoorsman
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT