ADVERTISEMENT

Minnesota- Purdue Game Discussion Thread

Way to battle Boilers! Gritty win to overcome 9pts worth of banked 3's by Minnesota.

UnequaledEnragedDamselfly-size_restricted.gif
And 6 fts by carr on two 3s. Carr must have had 9 pts on fts

nice comeback. just when they looked dead in the water they somehow grabbed victory from the jaws of defeat. of course, making a few more free throws would have made it less stressful for we fans. williams really needs work on his ft and i dont understand how carr and oturu made it thru the ot periods with 4 fouls. i would have pounded the ball inside every time to either haarms or williams. painter also gave me a panic attack when he had nojel on the court to receive the inbounds before switching at the last second.at the end of 2nd ot i thought painter had lost it for a moment

Reactions: Schnelk
Thank god Minny had a ball hog guard to turn the ball over

That's a stupid comment. He was the best player on the floor and put the game on his shoulders to win or lose. He just happened to have one of the best defenders in the country to deal with in OT.

If you're talking about Carr you can't fault him. He clearly left everything on the floor.
If Carr doesn't play...Purdue runs away with the W. Based upon skill set only since I only know what I saw...I'd have no problem having him at Purdue.

nice comeback. just when they looked dead in the water they somehow grabbed victory from the jaws of defeat. of course, making a few more free throws would have made it less stressful for we fans. williams really needs work on his ft and i dont understand how carr and oturu made it thru the ot periods with 4 fouls. i would have pounded the ball inside every time to either haarms or williams. painter also gave me a panic attack when he had nojel on the court to receive the inbounds before switching at the last second.at the end of 2nd ot i thought painter had lost it for a moment

If Carr doesn't play...Purdue runs away with the W. Based upon skill set only since I only know what I saw...I'd have no problem having him at Purdue.

Pitino said as much in his short post-game press remarks. Carr played 48 minutes (after already leading the conference in minutes, IIRC) and clearly wore down....then with Nojel Eastern switching to him, I think that frustrated him.....kid can ball, no doubt....on the three-attempt fouls, the first one was really weak, and I've seen plenty like the second one left alone too....he sold them, though. The calls looked like they evened out.....and another good omen, TJ.....another Purdue win even with Wymer and your pal Szelc overseeing. :)

Oturu's foul trouble did quiet him on the defensive end, and I think he got a little winded as well - 45 minutes and Kalscheur played 47 (Minnesota was down a starter who was out). For Purdue, Sasha Stefanovic played 47 minutes, and Matt Haarms "chipped in" his 25 points in 40 minutes. Next after that was EHjr with 34. Also, slightly overlooked was SS's defense on Kalscheur - held him to 5-15 shooting (3/10 from deep) for 13 points. Shades of the Midwestern Cowboy.....as Shom Morris pointed out in the studio.

Good win, and I think there will be more battles galore like this the next couple of months. Minnesota's got enough to cause problems for a bunch of teams.

Pitino said as much in his short post-game press remarks. Carr played 48 minutes (after already leading the conference in minutes, IIRC) and clearly wore down....then with Nojel Eastern switching to him, I think that frustrated him.....kid can ball, no doubt....on the three-attempt fouls, the first one was really weak, and I've seen plenty like the second one left alone too....he sold them, though. The calls looked like they evened out.....and another good omen, TJ.....another Purdue win even with Wymer and your pal Szelc overseeing. :)

Oturu's foul trouble did quiet him on the defensive end, and I think he got a little winded as well - 45 minutes and Kalscheur played 47 (Minnesota was down a starter who was out). For Purdue, Sasha Stefanovic played 47 minutes, and Matt Haarms "chipped in" his 25 points in 40 minutes. Next after that was EHjr with 34. Also, slightly overlooked was SS's defense on Kalscheur - held him to 5-15 shooting (3/10 from deep) for 13 points. Shades of the Midwestern Cowboy.....as Shom Morris pointed out in the studio.

Good win, and I think there will be more battles galore like this the next couple of months. Minnesota's got enough to cause problems for a bunch of teams.
Without any prompt...Kim was even talking about how poor the refs were. Sasha's dad was standing up after Sasha hit that 3 making it 78-75. Sasha has done VERY well for Purdue. Kid waited for a Purdue scholly and it looks like it is Purdue that made out. Almost every time he shoots I think it is going in...AND he is adding to his game with pull ups and taking it to the rim...not to mention all his hustle, deflections and little things...

Great win. Cant give up on wheels.

Every time he has a great block shot, they call a foul. The refs take away his aggressiveness since they don’t see that type of ability often. They won’t call that as often as he gets more experience (you never know though with these refs :mad:).

Reactions: Ignacious McNutt
Every time he has a great block shot, they call a foul. The refs take away his aggressiveness since they don’t see that type of ability often. They won’t call that as often as he gets more experience (you never know though with these refs :mad:).
Haas had a similar problem. He got called a lot for just being big.

Reactions: TX4GB
I "think" he got the foul because his hand came down after the block. That said...why the shooting foul? Anyway, players don't need to smack it down, but deflect it and do it soft enough that you can retain it if possible...and if not, straight up with the hands. Many times those blocks don't get called for fouls.

Reactions: TX4GB and Purdue85
If Haarms doesn't play, Minny runs away with the W. :)
Carr does what I wish Purdue's guards would do more of - drive to the basket for a layup or draw a foul. Pitino said that Minny's strategy going into the game was to get Purdue's bigs in foul trouble early and it seemed to work - at least on Eastern.

Yes, I think Purdue fouled the 3-shooter three different times.
On the first I had somewhat of a sideview in mackey and from that view it appeared nojel played carr similar to a last second shot against PSU big guard a year or two ago. The TV view I saw had the back of Carr and not clear. The ref called it and so who knows? Cant remember the second, but did catch Hunter's foul on the 3 and on TV it did not appear to be a foul IMO
The TV did clear up a few things I couldn't see live. Watching it on TV later the refs did better than the Mackey crowd thought. Haarms was great and purdue is going to miss him. I sure hope Dow comes along some next year for life after Haarms

Reactions: TDisch
If Haarms doesn't play, Minny runs away with the W. :)
Carr does what I wish Purdue's guards would do more of - drive to the basket for a layup or draw a foul. Pitino said that Minny's strategy going into the game was to get Purdue's bigs in foul trouble early and it seemed to work - at least on Eastern.
Nojels fouls were not defending the drive I seem to recall. However, the way Purdue typically plays D you want to drive the ball on them...and why the Shell drill to try to limit penetration is practiced so much at Purdue. Lot of talent in the Big

Reactions: TDisch
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT