ADVERTISEMENT

Maryland-Starting Lineup

Mar 13, 2008
Louisville, KY
This is going to be another tough game. Coming off two losses and being early December I believe Painter has to make a change or tweak to the lineup. You don't typically make lineup changes later in the year unless the wheels are falling off.

Personally, I'd like to see EB, Wheeler, Cline, CE, and Nojel
Bring Matt off the bench to go against the 2nd team, along with Grady for a spark.
Sasha and Hunter are your backup guards.

This is going to be another tough game. Coming off two losses and being early December I believe Painter has to make a change or tweak to the lineup. You don't typically make lineup changes later in the year unless the wheels are falling off.

Bring Matt off the bench to go against the 2nd team, along with Grady for a spark.
I couldn't care less who starts. That anymore to me is irrelevant, what I do what to see is the continued playing time of the new comers.

That said, I think you leave Haarms to start to give us the best chance to win the tip and set the tone. Not sure with EB in there if we would ever win the tip again and that isn't a knock on EB when you have a 7 footer on the roster.

Wheeler can always jump center in that scenario.

Haarms couldn't win the tip against Teske Saturday.

Reactions: Roeder

I agree that EB needs to be starting, but I'm not sure this is the game to make the change. Bruno Fernando is a moster down low, and we need Haarms in there defending him.

This will be a very tough game though. They start two 6'10" guys. They have 5 guys that average double digits, and a 6th that averages 9 pts/gm.

Reactions: Roeder
They have a big front line, and will pound the ball. You hate throwing Tre in on a game like this, but we might need him with his size. Neither guy is incredibly mobile, but both huge.
We need to pack the paint and make them shoot from outside. Only 31% from 3 on the season as a team.

Interesting note about Haarms' defense. I was already curious and then this post made me check out the stats.

1st 8 games:
2017:
Minutes = 147
Blocks = 25

2018:
Minutes = 144
Blocks = 12

And I don't think it's clear that he's altering any more shots or that his presence is keeping teams from going to the rack against us.

Reactions: DannyGranger

That is the lineup I would like to see more of as well.

Wheeler will have some growing pains, bit I think he will benefit from playing with the more experienced group out there.

Finding a way to get Eastern and Wheeler to attack the rim would open up the floor so much more.

Reactions: BoilerinLouisville
That is the lineup I would like to see more of as well.

Wheeler will have some growing pains, bit I think he will benefit from playing with the more experienced group out there.

Finding a way to get anyone other than #3 to attack the rim would open up the floor so much more.

FYP

I agree that EB needs to be starting, but I'm not sure this is the game to make the change. Bruno Fernando is a moster down low, and we need Haarms in there defending him.

This will be a very tough game though. They start two 6'10" guys. They have 5 guys that average double digits, and a 6th that averages 9 pts/gm.

Fernando is a monster, and I am still waiting for Haarms to show me something. I'm beginning to think Painter needs to give Haarms his energy guy off the bench role back.

Sometimes guys with a YMCA post game like Beadreaux can frustrate younger athletic players like Fernando over the course of a game. Bruno will get his double double, but maybe a few drawn charges, pump fake fouls, and over the backs from blocking out so well will get him in foul trouble.

I wouldn't bet house money on anything other than Grady getting the start and given 20 to 25 mind numbing minutes on the court. I'll be totally shocked if that doesn't happen.

I wouldn't bet house money on anything other than Grady getting the start and given 20 to 25 mind numbing minutes on the court. I'll be totally shocked if that doesn't happen.

Since he's played 16 and 17 the past 2 games, I'd take the under. I'm pretty sure painter is aware of eifert's limitations and will decrease his minutes as soon as others show they can handle it. It seems to be happening now.
The season is only 8 games old. If eifert was making 3s at a higher clip he would be helping a lot more. It's worth finding out if he can do that in games.

Reactions: BBG

Yep, and get Tre in there as well.

Reactions: TopSecretBoiler
Wheeler can always jump center in that scenario.

Haarms couldn't win the tip against Teske Saturday.
Watching the refs and realizing that it is rare to find a good toss since it is not practiced...perhaps the visiting team should just take the ball and all overtimes follow the possession arrow.

how dare you
It makes too much sense I know. Meanwhile we have the STUPID flagrant foul in effect...just call the effing foul and quit looking at the screen. Only if a person is attempting to hurt someone should a flagrant foul be called. Things keep getting worse as they legislate to attempt to make things better...almost sounds like the government... ;) "We be getting dumber..."

fla·grant
/ˈflāɡrənt/
adjective
  1. (of something considered wrong or immoral) conspicuously or obviously offensive

It makes too much sense I know. Meanwhile we have the STUPID flagrant foul in effect...just call the effing foul and quit looking at the screen. Only if a person is attempting to hurt someone should a flagrant foul be called. Things keep getting worse as they legislate to attempt to make things better...almost sounds like the government... ;) "We be getting dumber..."

fla·grant
/ˈflāɡrənt/
adjective
  1. (of something considered wrong or immoral) conspicuously or obviously offensive
next you'll want nets instead of the pretty buckets! nonsense!

next you'll want nets instead of the pretty buckets! nonsense!
@tjreese on the subject of weird NCAA rules, how is there no standardized ball used? We are a Nike school, so we spend all the time practicing with Nike balls, but when we go to a place like IU for a game we have to use Adidas balls. It has never made sense why there wasn't a standardized ball (should be a Wilson Evolution) in college basketball.

@tjreese on the subject of weird NCAA rules, how is there no standardized ball used? We are a Nike school, so we spend all the time practicing with Nike balls, but when we go to a place like IU for a game we have to use Adidas balls. It has never made sense why there wasn't a standardized ball (should be a Wilson Evolution) in college basketball.
FWIW, in high school it was common for each school to use their ball for home games and if they knew the opponent they were to visit to practice with their ball if different...but everyone wanted the "tourney ball of choice" to practice going into the sectionals and any furthering of the tourney

FWIW, in high school it was common for each school to use their ball for home games and if they knew the opponent they were to visit to practice with their ball if different...but everyone wanted the "tourney ball of choice" to practice going into the sectionals and any furthering of the tourney
I know, but to me it's crazy that there isn't a ball that everyone uses. Like in high school baseball there is a standard baseball with Wilson A1010.

Reactions: tjreese
They have a big front line, and will pound the ball. You hate throwing Tre in on a game like this, but we might need him with his size. Neither guy is incredibly mobile, but both huge.
How could this be..they lost so many good players, 3 years have not passed.

Hard to find fault with the decision as he is playing meaningful minutes with the Hawks, but how tough would Maryland be with Kevin Huerter back?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT