ADVERTISEMENT

Marquette

Nov 19, 2017
Game is tomorrow, so where is everybody? On that other elitist site? After exorcising the Beard curse in March, Painter looks put an end to the Shaka spell. Plus the next game after this is a full 9 days later, and we will too bloated with turkey anyway to enjoy that one. So, this Purdue basketball fix will have to last (or linger) for a while. What are the chances for our #27 ranked team?

Not that it means everything for sure, but Marquette was picked 9th out of 11 teams in the preseason coaches poll. PU is -9 as I write this. May not be as big of a "test" as some think.

Reactions: oldboiler52
I'd say we need to look at the loading speed and the respective Poisson's ratio variation for the rim..

TIC..

Just do something, anything!

It is a Game day and can't wait, already!
We will see the true color of this team tonight, what do y'all say!?

Boiler Up!!

Marquette won't have any answers for Edey, period. Will be a big test though for the guards. Shaka teams like to use a lot of perimeter pressure. Smith hasn't been great with the ball or playmaking, so it'll have to be done by committee. Might be a game you see Jenkins or Newman more. Smith right now averaging 3.5 turnovers to just 2.5 assists.

Reactions: ChoiceBeef
Marquette won't have any answers for Edey, period. Will be a big test though for the guards. Shaka teams like to use a lot of perimeter pressure. Smith hasn't been great with the ball or playmaking, so it'll have to be done by committee. Might be a game you see Jenkins or Newman more. Smith right now averaging 3.5 turnovers to just 2.5 assists.
Curious who the officials will be tonight. Are they Big Ten, Big East or combo? That will be telling on how they call the fouls as it relates to Edey.

Didn't watch the last game but Shaka's teams are always ball hawks so will be curious to see how our guys step up.

Curious who the officials will be tonight. Are they Big Ten, Big East or combo? That will be telling on how they call the fouls as it relates to Edey.

Didn't watch the last game but Shaka's teams are always ball hawks so will be curious to see how our guys step up.
It'll be Big Ten refs since it's at Purdue. So it'll probably be a choppy, ugly, physical rugby match.

No answers for Edey. People say this so confidently. How many people thought that Saint Peters would have answers? Quickness and swarming can offset sheer size advantage, especially when the refs let the smaller players be physical and grabby. Fortunately this game is at Mackey, where he tends to draw more fouls. Zach does need to be careful with his elbows and even his shoulder turning into a smaller defender. He also needs to not have predetermined thoughts about scoring for when the double team comes late. His defense of the pick and roll appears to be improved, but he will always be limited in how quickly he can move those size 20's, which smaller teams will continue to attack. This is a huge step up in caliber of athletes from the first two games.

No answers for Edey. People say this so confidently. How many people thought that Saint Peters would have answers? Quickness and swarming can offset sheer size advantage, especially when the refs let the smaller players be physical and grabby. Fortunately this game is at Mackey, where he tends to draw more fouls. Zach does need to be careful with his elbows and even his shoulder turning into a smaller defender. He also needs to not have predetermined thoughts about scoring for when the double team comes late. His defense of the pick and roll appears to be improved, but he will always be limited in how quickly he can move those size 20's, which smaller teams will continue to attack. This is a huge step up in caliber of athletes from the first two games.
I found your comment " Zach does need to be careful with his elbows and even his shoulder turning into a smaller defender." interesting.

What's interesting about Zach is he almost always turns and goes into the defender when he makes his moves. I don't know if I've ever seen him simply turn and go straight up or fade away on a shot. Everything is moving towards the basket. This makes it extremely difficult on the officials because Zach is often the one initiating the contact but at the same time it appears he's being fouled.

Reactions: HoosierfanJM
It's a weird dynamic with Edey. Most bigs turn their shoulder and bump into the defender's shoulder, with no foul called. When Edey turns his shoulder he's frequently hitting the defender in the chin. Sometimes it's a no-call, sometimes a foul on the defender, and sometimes a foul or even potentially a flagrant on Edey.

I wonder if referee crews discuss this in their pre-game prep.

It's a weird dynamic with Edey. Most bigs turn their shoulder and bump into the defender's shoulder, with no foul called. When Edey turns his shoulder he's frequently hitting the defender in the chin. Sometimes it's a no-call, sometimes a foul on the defender, and sometimes a foul or even potentially a flagrant on Edey.

I wonder if referee crews discuss this in their pre-game prep.
My guess is there is a lot of discussion on how this should be called that is probably why we as Purdue fans believe Edey is getting mugged without fouls being called on a consistent basis.

It seems to me if the defender holds position and has his hands straight above his head, its not a foul if Edey initiates the contact even if Edey is hit on the arms or elbow. I believe we see a lot of B1G teams play Edey this way. Don't go for the block. Just hold position with your hands straight up. It just looks funny.

I'd say we need to look at the loading speed and the respective Poisson's ratio variation for the rim..

TIC..

Just do something, anything!

It is a Game day and can't wait, already!
We will see the true color of this team tonight, what do y'all say!?

Boiler Up!!
come show me your true colors
Paint me a picture with your true colors
These are the questions of a new lover
True colors, true colors

I think Purdue rolls tonight. Is up by as many as 20-22 and wins by 11-13 at the end of the game. Tonight is the debut of Big game Braden.

Reactions: RBryant311
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT